Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tower of Guns

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 04, 2014

A fast-paced shooter with some rogue-like elements. It is developed mostly by Joe Mirabello, an ex-employee of 38 Studios.

Aiming is horrible on PS4

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Man, I downloaded this this month's PS+ game, not expecting too much, just a silly shooter with a decent replay value, maybe good for listening to older pdcasts and stuff like that. But I played one level and was severely dissapointed by the aiming, the deadzones are not set well at all, the acceleration feels weird as well, even when I fiddled with sensitivity settings. That's a shame, game itself looks it could have been fun!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Tried it as well and found the starting guns to be very lacking. Movement in the game was fun. Aiming does seem a little off. I want to give it a few more tries maybe and try get another weapon unlocked.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

To be fair, I thought it looked pretty rough on PC as well. It's a solo project, and I guess there are limitations to how much the guy can do.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's unfortunate, I was kind of excited when I heard about this game and even more so when it was announced for ps plus. Ill still give it a try, but my expectations have been lowered.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The PS3 version is also kind of rough. There's this massive input delay on top of everything, making it really hard to aim. Also there seems to be zero auto-aim to compensate. And then there's the frame drops during bossfights. This was to be expected on PS3 but it still sicks

For what its worth I thought this was pretty okay on the PC. Since it ran better and a mouse alleviates aiming problems. Though it does start off slow before it really feels like a Tower of Guns.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes the input delay is present on the PS4 too - just moving in menus with a d-pad... I didn't know it was a solo project, that makes it more understandable but at the same time raises question why would Sony pick this up for their service...?

I went back and gave it another go, for me the best setting is to set sensivity to 7 (x) and 10 (y). Still does not approach feeling modern (or retro for that matter), just...sluggish and bad. I should play more Dishonored, that one seems awesome!!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quipido: Sony are snatching up everything they can.

I'm going to try it again. I like the idea of it, it seems like a cool game. The movement felt good enough that I was using that as more of a way to aim than the actual aiming. Also I suspect the starting guns aren't all that great and the ones you unlock will be much more fun.

The little robots that get excited to see you are pretty cool.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

It wasn't that great to begin with and this seems a bit worse. I like the idea of rogue-light-like shooters, but this isn't the one for me.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

It's alright. Better than I expected it to be from the videos I saw of it. Not sure how much more I'll play of it but from the half hour I just played, I can say I enjoyed it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparky_buzzsaw said:

It wasn't that great to begin with and this seems a bit worse. I like the idea of rogue-light-like shooters, but this isn't the one for me.

Yeah, it's no Ziggurat. Most FPS roguelike are no Ziggurat.

Even with Ziggurat I'm not super stoked with how bland most of the enemies are, but the various upgrades and weapons make up for it.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I went back and gave it another go and had a decent time, once I got used to the aiming. As someone mentioned here it's a good idea to actually strafe to fine-tune your aim (which is, in my opinion, a sign of a bad shooter). Also I unlocked some weapons that are easier to handle.

The framerate can get pretty ridiculous - we are not talking some mild dips here folks. I encountered a room that was by my estimate 5-8 fps the whole time, I decided to "rush" out of it just to not melt my console down!!

"Free" is the right price for this one.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I got used to the default settings, but they did feel a bit off at first. I love the idea of an FPS game with level generation, but the "bullet hell shooter" elements detract from the experience that I wanted, so the game didn't really click for me.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: My main dislike of the bullet hell is when enemies (mostly bosses) shoot projectiles that bounce off walls. It makes it impossible to keep track of everything and there's no indication that something is approaching you from behind to give you a chance to get out of the way.

It's too easy to jump out of the way of something you can see only to be hit by something you can't.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

No offense to the creator of the game, but I hated it. After 15-20 minutes I deleted it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game reminds me of Doom a fair amount, though it would probably benefit from Doom's Auto Aim. The rooms are basically just ridiculously enormous Doom rooms.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

The aiming doesn't seem so bad to me but not the best. My problem is how the pick up distance is garbage. Games that have a 'magnet'for pick up always seem to have to small of a distance, usually so they can give you an upgrade like in Ratchet and I think I've picked one up in here. Also what input lag?

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

After playing a bunch of Ziggurat (even with autoaim turned off) this game's aiming just feels off.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This game doesn't 'feel' good in general. I don't know if the guns start feeling better as you start going down the tree but the few I've unlocked have been thoroughly underwhelming to use. Also the bullet hell nature of the game hurts it so much especially when you're talking projectiles that bounce off of walls. Also that frame rate, yeesh, and yes the whole time I was playing all I could think was 'geee I bet this game would be better with a mouse'. It's a appealing idea that occasionally works but overall the execution is pretty bad.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu: Sure but if one was to want this style of game they couldn't find another on ps4. Also the PC I priced a month ago was around 700 not including shipping so 400 is a bit cheaper which that coupled with being more user friendly is why people buy consoles instead. That's not to say a cheaper PC couldn't run this Ziggarut game but I bet I couldn't play it on the shit $400 HP laptop I have.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yesiamaduck: yeah the frame rate definitely drops when there's too much on screen. I thought it was gonna crash when I had that fire dome mod on my gun. Also don't really get the point of having more than a few guns. No one is gonna touch the first two one they unlock another and the shotgun isn't great. I just stick with the machine gun thing.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't think that this kind of game is what should be showing up on consoles or even steam. There are well made/good indie games and then there are cobbled together unity type games. I think the indie cash grab is over the people in charge need to start curating again and close the floodgates of indies.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the aiming is fine although it has freezed up on me in the loading screen 3 times every time i pass wave 7 on endless mode

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Went back and tried it some more. It's not for me. The starting guns are awful and after seeing some of the stuff you've to do to unlock the rest of the guns I just don't feel like playing the game to do it. I hadn't realized the multi-jump was an ability you had to pick. When I tried something else it ruined the feeling of movement in the game for me.

It's a shame, because I think this game has a cool idea, but it's just not all that much fun to actually play.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Game doesn't seem that fun anyway, but yeah the controls are a problem.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, the aiming feels all kinds of bad, which is definitely a problem in a game where the majority of weapons seem to have incredibly low firing rates. I really appreciate some of the things the game is going for, but the controls and a handful of other problems make it into something that's pretty crummy. Probably the biggest issue is that it's not manageable—or fun—to navigate Hells of Bullets in a first-person space, especially when shit is coming from above and behind you and ricocheting and whatnot. Shooting stuff also doesn't feel fun at all, which isn't a good problem for an FPS to have.

Ziggurat's on PS4 now, so maybe I'll try that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.