Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Is it "too late" to get a Wii U?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Alt title: Is it worth getting a Wii U at all?

I recently pulled up the n64 and SNES for a party and had friends play some Mario Kart and had a great time. Particularly so with my partner. They don't play a lot of modern videogames outside of Telltale games and puzzle games but they took to those older games and we had a great time playing together in a way I have missed with the newer consoles.

I have a ps3 but the library there just doesn't seem as good for easing people in for casual multiplayer stuff in the same way Nintendo did. This had me wonder. If I bought a Wii U do you think we'd have similar experiences with the newer iterations on the staples or has the barrier grown with iteration?

Secondly with the NX being talked about constantly would I be buying into a dead end too late?

What do you guys think? Am I chasing the dragon here and that older stuff works because it is old and tied to our past or does the current offering evoke that same feeling?

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

It depends on what you think of the current game lineup. At this point, you pretty much know the entirety of what makes up the Wii U's game library. The only noteworthy releases for 2016 IIRC are Twilight Princess HD, Pokken Tournament, Star Fox Zero, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, and maybe Zelda. And I think just about everyone would tell you not to buy the system for Zelda until we know for sure when it's coming out.

There are ways to get into a Wii U for as low as $200 or $250 with a game. I've even seen a couple of pre-owned/refurb deals that dip a little below $200, and those are directly through Nintendo.

So your complete Wii U exclusive game library is here. The highlights are:

• Affordable Space Adventures
    • Bayonetta 2
    • Captain Toad
    • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
    • Legend of Zelda: Winder Waker HD
    • Mario Kart 8
    • New Super Mario Bros. U
    • Pikmin 3
    • Pushmo World
    • Splatoon
    • Super Mario 3D World
    • Super Mario Maker
    • Super Smash Bros Wii U
    • The Wonderful 101
    • Xenoblade Chronicles X
    • Yoshi's Wooly World

Are there enough games for the system that make it worth buying? Sure, if you look at that list and say I want to play say ten of those games. But if you're looking for some couch games to play with your friends, there is a more narrow set of games that fit that requirement. I've been able to justify my purchase, but I also got the system relatively cheap (something like $225 with New Super Mario Bros).

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The question is always, how many games in the console's lineup are you wanting to play or would play? If you were only looking at the party/couch co-op games, the Wii U has some great games in those categories but not a whole lot. Mario Kart 8 is a great game and the barrier to entry hasn't changed all that much. I think you and your friends would have just as good of a time with the game as you did with older versions. There's also Super Mario 3D World, Nintendoland, and some others I'm blanking on that should be easy enough for your friends to get into.

It also seems like you would use the Wii U to ease your partner into a wider genre of games. There are games like Captain Toad and Yoshi's Woolly World that are on the easier side and could be a nice gateway into more "game-y" games. It would give them their puzzles elements while slowly adding more to control on their part.

As for the NX, we have very little information on the system and a lot of rumors. Does it have backwards compatibility, like Nintendo systems have had lately? What's the price point? How complicated will the control scheme be? There's a lot of questions that still need to be answered but we'll find out at E3 most likely.

I love my Wii U and it has some of my favorite games. Should you dive into the system? The offerings available would fit what you are looking for but do you see enough games that interest you?

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You shouldn't worry about the old stuff being good because of nostalgia, because that's what Nintendo has traded on for a long time. They make fun games with news ideas, but a lot of their stuff also has a,"Hey remember this thing from out old games?" vibe.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ry_Ry

It's never to late, but you'd be insane to pay current msrp.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait for the NX.

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

There are a decent number of exclusive games at this point. If you can get it on the cheap, I think it's worth it.

I really tend to only use the Wii U heavily once or twice a year, but I'm definitely glad I have it around.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cav829: Don't forget about Kerbal Space Program. It's an exclusive if you don't have a PC.

rebellion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was worth it for me for the aforementioned games. It was also worth it to get my girlfriend into playing some games with me. If you don't want to pay retail price I guarantee you can get the system with some games on Ebay.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sweetz

It's ridiculous that Nintendo refuses to budge on the price of the Wii U. If I were to wear a tinfoil hat, I might even say that they're intentionally sabotaging sales of the Wii U so that they get more out-of-the-gate sales of the NX. I.e. if the NX ends up being backwards compatible, the more people that have interested in Nintendo games but hold off buying a Wii U, the more people they potentially get to early adopt the NX.

For a while I've been wanting a Wii U just for Bayonetta (which I really, really want to play because I love "character action" games), Wind Waker and maybe Pikmin, but I simply can't justify $350 (including price for proper gamepad) for that and I don't like refurbs.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Dixavd

Honestly, I'd wait until E3 to see if the NX is announced and what it is. I'd look at the announcement under the lens of "Do I think the WiiU specific gamepad controls could move onto this new console?" If the answer is 'Yes.' then it's a safe bet to assume the NX will be backwards compatible.

One big bonus on the WiiU, though, is that it's backwards compatible with Wii games. The library on the Wii is massive, and there are stellar games there to add to the pool if you don't mind non-HD visuals (since you still enjoy the N64, I doubt this would be an issue). Nintendo rarely do backwards compatibility further than one console release, so the NX probably won't have native Wii support. On the other hand, the WiiU eShop is already having Wii games added all the time digitally anyway (playable outside the Wii specific section of the console) so if WiiU transfers, then likely all of the eShop Virtual Console games will as well, so you might still have access to the key Wii catalogue on the NX (if at the premium digital cost, rather than the cheaper physical copies).

As far as whether the games are suitable, I'd say the WiiU is the best place to be for local multiplayer games outside of the PC (which wins by virtue of having the biggest Indie community - although it's surprising how many of the good ones make it to the WiiU).

Also, I'd argue the end of a console's lifespan is the best time to get one. Sure you won't be getting the newer titles at their best*, but the breadth and quality of the library available to you are always the best they have ever been. It's why I'd argue that if someone were to be getting their first console ever, they'd be better off getting a cheap late-generation Xbox 360 or PS3 (whichever has more exclusives they find appealing) and digging into that huge catalogue than committing to a new console.

*'At there best' since quite a few new games still come out for them too - for instance, that Rise of the Tomb Raider 360 port was supposedly fantastic.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GiantLizardKing

At this point don't buy the console so much for it's future but for it's existing catalog, because it's freaking excellent. Find a basic version (8gb) cheap and then buy a 30 dollar external drive and call it good. I can't emphasize enough how excellent the first party games are.

eddiephlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can get Mario Maker. And then play infinite mario levels. I can see myself playing this game for the rest of my life.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a lot of good games to get on it currently. Go for it. Who cares if their next console isn't far off

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#15 FinalDasa  Moderator

If there are games you want to play on it, then go for it. Otherwise you might as well wait. Sure it'll be cheap to grab a Wii U but if you think the NX might be something you'd buy, then wait.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Casepb

I'd go for the Wii U instead of the NX. That is unless of course you want something even more gimmicky than the Wii U.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

A good 'get', but I figure after e3 (July) you will see a large price drop. I'd say wait for the price drop, not in a snooty way, but just to be realistic about where teh price of Wii U is going and how soon it will go there.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I don't think it's ever too late to get a console as long as there are enough games you want to play on it. However, Wii U doesn't seem that great for local multiplayer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

If there are games on a console that you want to play then its never too late to jump in.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By MEATBALL

I'd say a WiiU is worth buying at this point, it doesn't have a mountain of games, but it does have a whole bunch of great games. I'd actually count it as one of my favourite Nintendo systems, personally. So my immediate response if someone ever asks me if a WiiU is worth buying is basically "Yup!" :P

That said, I'll give it a little more thought than the knee-jerk reaction:

In terms of local multiplayer games, your best options are Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, New Super Mario Bros U and Super Mario 3D World - all fantastic for local multiplayer (Nintendo Land also has some fun minigames). It's not a huge selection, but it's some great stuff (and you do have the Wii's library to draw from as well). I wouldn't say the barrier has grown with those games at all, the biggest thing people might grapple with is drifting in Mario Kart if they've forgotten that (I'm saying this because I've witnessed people struggling with that element myself - mostly just through forgetting they should do it).

That said, your friends might still be more into the old SNES and N64 games for the nostalgia factor, something that isn't going to be so strong playing Nintendo's current games. There'll be callbacks to those sources of nostalgia, for sure, but I doubt it would hit the same buttons.

If it's something you want to wait on, it might be worth waiting for the NX if only for the WiiU price drop (though there is the danger that Nintendo might pull what they did with the Wii and release a model without Wii backwards compatibility, if that's something that concerns you).

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm not sure there's ever been a better time to get a Wii U. It has a great library of first party Nintendo titles, a growing backlog of classic games on the Virtual Console, and it offers experiences you simply won't find on other platforms.

The only thing you're too late for is the sense of zeitgeist or relevance you might feel by having a platform that can play more current games. But, honestly, apart from its introduction in 2012 and flashes of important moments here and there (Super Mario Maker, being the most recent example), Wii U owners have all been too late for that. The Wii U operates to the beat of its own drum, as it were, and doesn't really exist in a world where having access to the newest, most newsworthy games matters. You buy a Wii U for what's exceptional to it and it alone.

Basically, it's a great console. Probably best served as a complementary piece to your primary gaming device (PC, PS4, Xbox One), but a great console nonetheless.

EDIT: I just bought my Wii U in November and I love the thing to death. I probably get more use out of it at present then either of the other current consoles.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks everyone! I think what'll do is wait for e3 but see if there are any extremely good deals on ebay but I'd doubt it for a while as I'm in Aus where the price is still 400+

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah best to wait till e3 at least, I mean if it was me and I got a wiiu now only to find out NX with full retro compatibility would be coming out at the end of the year (or even earlier who knows) I would feel like an idiot.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I have been thinking about this myself. The thing that sparked it was watching Nintendo's B-roll on GameTapes. I love the game Overlord and thought I should really play the original Pikmin.

The enormous back catalog available makes it sound like a great deal. Unless the NX doesn't have backwards compatibility I guess it's better to wait.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#25  Edited By Slag

@hayt: there's word today out of Japan (the Nikkei) that the WiiU will cease production at the end of 2016.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/22/11285318/nintendo-wii-u-production-nx

Judging by Austin's image posting history I suspect you'll see a story on GB about it soon.

So I guess the question is whether you like the lineup as it is enough as @cav829 pointed out

The thing I can't figure out is where or if I should buying virtual console games with the NX on the horizon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
    deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too late? Probably not, but also probably not the best point in time.

Just go through the U's catalogue and add Starfox as well as Zelda to that list. If you find enough quality titles to justify the purchase for yourself, go ahead.

Personally I would wait though - I would love to get my hands on some of the U exclusives however as most of those are out for a while by now, I am fine waiting another couple of months.

After E3 we should have a better understanding of Nintendo's plans for the foreseeable future and there is a solid chance the NX will be backwards compatible.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I feel like it's never too late if you want and have the time to play it.

But when I look at the games list I question the number of games that would serve the "ease into casual multiplayer" role.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

I sold my Wii U last year and I regret it. Bought a Xbox One instead and wish I hadn't. The Wii U might be a joke to some but at least it's got some damn good games, I just didn't appreciate it at the time. Plus it's a fun console in general, better than the crap people give it.

So I'm probably going to pick up a new Wii U sometime soon, with Xenoblade Chronicles X in mind. Yeah Nintendo might be stopping production but that doesn't mean there still isn't great experiences on the Wii U.

constantk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Personally unless you're dying to play WiiU games now I'd wait until E3 just in case the NX is backwards compatible.

There are a lot of great games on the system though. Best exclusive catalog for sure (not counting PC only)

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In light of recent news I am super glad that I did wait haha.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By whitegreyblack

It has some good, even great, games - just not a ton of them (in my opinion). I would bet that it will soon be a very good time to buy a Wii U. The bottom should drop right out of the used market on them. I bought one used last year for hardly any money, it's a fine purchase at the right price.

edit: But yeah, I suppose it's prudent to wait to see how NX shapes up and if it's backwards compatible with the Wii U.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

I got mine just 6 months ago or so and I'm still banging away at it. I think that's predicated on loving platformers....Splatoon is wonderful though. I just picked up Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze actually. Yeah, get in on good games!

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's never too late, that series has a fantastic library.

HOWEVER, I might wait till we hear about the NX and see how things shake out. What if the NX has backwards compatibility? I find it more than likely they'll try and sell you those games again.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mostly play on my PC but the temptation to play Super Mario Maker was too strong so I ended up getting one from eBay for £150 in January that was basically in mint condition apart from a small scratch on the top of the console. It's very much a console from a previous time despite it coming out in 2012. There's just very little in the way of distractions that you'll find on the Xbox One or PS4 but man SMM is so damn good. I haven't yet to even get another game for my Wii U just because I've yet to tire of SMM. Some would say that buying a console for one game isn't the best investment but none of the games on PS4 or XBONE have really compelled me to just get one.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By NTM

I'd say it's not worth it. The main reason is because I think you should wait for the NX; see what that offers, because it may be backward compatible. On a more personal level, the Wii U is almost, yet another Wii, where it just sits there being unplayed compared to other systems. The games are good, but the specs of the console are not. That's how I feel about it. It may be shallow of me, but I can't run the Wii U with Dolby Digital, and that is a major bummer for me; plus, as fine as the games can still look, the hardware is not on par with current-gen, which I think is unfortunate, especially considering it's why I think third party aren't really into it, so there's a lack of games on it in that respect.

Oh, I just noticed that this is a month old. Old enough for you to have decided already.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say my main thing I would worry about.... Is the NX. What if it just plays Wii U stuff honestly? I wouldn't be surprised. At least I wouldn't be surprised if they make mario maker work on the NX at least [or have a new updated version of it at launch]. So up to you to take the risk, but who knows when it will be out, could be this year, or beyond.

The wii U actually had some pretty darn good games though, so NX aside, if you like enough of the games it had for you to make a console worth a purchase, go for it. However, probably be aware you are buying a console that won't get much more for it.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah as many have said it really depends on how many games you want to play and how much free time you have. I got my WiiU in December 2014 and after blazing through Bayonetta 2 and playing a bunch of Mario Kart 8 and a dash of Smash 4, I barely touched the console. I picked up a bunch of games that I have not played a minute of (Splatoon, Mario Maker, Wonderful 101, DK Tropical Freeze, ZombiU to name a few). A huge waste of money for me, and even though I barely touched it I still feel kinda burned that the NX is coming out soon. No plans to buy that thing though, I learned my lesson.

I also have a PS4, XB1 and a PC that I occasionally play games on that fight for my attention so I'm in a different situation from most people. So many games, so little time.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno man. There's a lot of good games for the system. But what if the NX plays all the stuff? I'd maybe wait. Those games will still be there.

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can tell that the Wii U is going to be like the Dreamcast for me. I'll buy one ten years from now and say, "Wow, in a bubble this is one hell of a console." But when you look at the environment it lived in you can tell it just couldn't do enough to be compelling.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

Loading Video...

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

As someone who just got one in November, now is the BEST time to get one. Especially with the slew of $20 re releases of games from Nintendo.

Splatoon is still awesonme

Bayonetta 2 is still awesome (and $30 msrp)

Mario Maker is still awesome

..........amiibos are a cancer that I have succumbed to.

Do it BRO! have fun! video games!

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe jumping in and purchasing a Wii U now is a good idea because of two reasons. One, there are many popular titles to play that you can choose from today, instead of waiting for new games to be released. Second, among many players, the Wii U has demonstrated to be a fun system to play, either when trying something solo (such as Windwaker HD, but even that can go through family) or when playing competitively with friends/family (such as Smash Bros. and Mario Kart). Having access to the digital library that Nintendo offers is also a welcome addition, and depending upon your Nintendo platform of old, there is bound to be more than one title that catches your attention. I believe the system is worth a purchase, and therefore it is not too late to get one (to answer your question). Personally, I have enjoyed the system very, very much.

GStats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great idea to get one now. Get a used one for a good price.

If you don't have a Wii, you've got access to over a thousand games.

Also, you can play Gamecube games on it with a bit of fiddling! Unofficially, but fairly easily. So total number of games available is huge for just this 1 console.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Love my Wii U. Has some amazing games. But at this point maybe wait a couple months to see if the NX is backwards compatible. Even if it isn't I'd still recommend getting a Wii U at some point.

GStats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By GStats

Very unlikely it'll be compatible with Wii games though, so you'd lose that!

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm sure im repeating somebody here, but if you're interested in the actual Wii backlog as well then the wii u is a great buy. I hadn't owned a nintendo console until i got my wii u, so i use it CONSTANTLY. If you're only interested in Wii U games however, i'd give it a pass.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's never to late to make a mistake...

Joking aside the end of Nintendo console cycle is the best time to buy a Nintendo. Cheapest price for the system, the best games are known and available at a good price, and I think there are plenty of games that are good to amazing that it would be worth it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.