Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

WWE 2K16

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Oct 27, 2015

The 2015 edition of 2K and Yuke's WWE 2K franchise.

2K had Dr. Tracksuit in a WWE 2K16 trailer (now removed)

• 149 results
    ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

wow i would have thought it coincidence. kinda sad they didn't go with it, but i guess the whole conflict of interest thing. oh well.

(hope he isn't too mad at dan for this :D )

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would he sue? Talk about horrible karma. He runs a website that makes money off of content footage from other properties.

lol It's whatever.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#53  Edited By obcdexter

Time for a gimmick change! In comes Dr. Lawsuit.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By BisonHero

@pmmcl said:

One other thing -- if you remember in this year's Big Live Live Show, Drake asked Jeff if CBS owned his likeness, and he had to avoid the question and basically made it seem like they did. If CBS thinks Jeff is allowing his likeness to be used, it could have bad consequences for him, so he probably had to make it known publicly that he didn't ask for or allow this, so they don't think he's cutting deals to be added to games. At this rate, there may be a chance that CBS sues the developer because of it (not sure, but since Dr. Tracksuit has appeared in GB content as a character, it may be even that "Dr. Tracksuit" is a CBS character.

Plus there's also Jeff's integrity as a journalist. If people think he got put in the game in order to win Giant Bomb's favor, a lot of ethical things come up. It makes perfect sense for Jeff to denounce it.

I actually think it's pretty cool, but can see why there's small, but vocal contingent of others who aren't too happy about it, especially Jeff, since it could have legal and ethical ramifications for him depending on his contract.

You're jumping to several different conclusions. But yeah, it's possible that someone from CBSi legal emailed somebody at 2K and then they just took down the trailer to smooth everything over. Or it's possible that a 2K community person saw some of the reactions (mainly Jeff's) to using Dr. Tracksuit, and nipped the whole thing in the bud as a preventative measure. This seems like the kind of thing that would quickly be resolved through back channels (email, brief phone call), not CBSi suing the developer. It wouldn't be worth the time of either party to take this to court unless 2K really adamantly kept the trailer up as is and kept using Dr. Tracksuit to show off the create-a-wrestler.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By AlexW00d

@bisonhero: Since I can't respond to you in the other thread, I'll do so here.

@naoiko said:

So random note...could he sue? Or ask them to take him out?

Not in a million years. I'd be shocked if there was a single intellectual property law that would aid Jeff in this situation. Dr. Tracksuit isn't an important enough character that Jeff would ever bother to have filed anything that lets him have a legal claim to the character, and similarly he isn't important enough to the business of the Giant Bomb website that CBSi lawyers could in any way include Dr. Tracksuit the character under the umbrella of whatever rights they have to the Giant Bomb name and brand.

They are still technically using the likeness of Jeff without his consent. So there may be an avenue, but I don't think anything can come of it.

I mean facially the character looks nothing like Jeff, unless you think Jeff is the guy from that shitty Comedy Central prank show. Sure the silly character stuff's there, but it's not Jeff.

PMMCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By PMMCL

@bisonhero: Well, I was just presenting a hypothetical as to why 1) Jeff would tweet he wasn't thrilled about it, 2) why I can understand how others could get so upset (we've seen how crazy the internet can go over presumed "ethics breaches", and 3) that CBSi could potentially own the rights to the character.

It was probably my fault for using the word "sue" since it's not part of the actual game and only showing possible character creations, not actual game characters. Still, they'd put up a character resembling Mickey Mouse in the trailer, because it's the property of a major corporation and even a "nod to Disney fans" in the trailer would never fly. Now that the trailer has been taken down (it wasn't when I posted), that's the last we'll see of it, I'm sure, so there's no reason for anyone to take it any further. If they had kept it, it may be a different story.

I admitted that I don't know the specifics of anyone's contract and thus it was speculation. I also wrote it before the video itself was taken down. I do not think there will be any legal action -- I'm just saying that if use of his likeness comes into question, it is a can of worms that the developer should have cleared with the parties involved before adding to a promo trailer. I'm sure the majority of the people it had to go through before it was approved had no idea what Dr. Tracksuit is, so it'll likely get blamed on the rogue GB fan who stuck him in there.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I'm assuming this is the WWE 2K16 Create a Suite trailer.

If so, whoever posted the original trailer (which I'm guessing is 2K) seems to have pulled it.

It is still up on Machinima, though. Dr. Tracksuit would be at the 1:24 spot.

pkmango7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unsolicited GB cameos are always the best or the worst. I'm sure the intent was harmless but given this franchise's history it just comes off as desperate.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pmmcl: Yeah, fair enough. I mostly replied because I thought "sue" was a little strong.

danryckert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 danryckert  Staff

@davvyk said:

Doesn't dan live with the community manager.... it wouldn't surprise me if somehow this was his work

Nope.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

haha You see, this is the internet so you can quick change your version on youtube, but everybody else still knows what you did 2K and it won't ever go away now =P

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#62  Edited By csl316

God dammit, that's the kind of clever writing the WWE is missing.

Anyway, I don't see Jeff anywhere in that screenshot of Dr. Tracksuit.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Is Jeff genuinely not happy about it or is he not happy about it in a jokey way? I can't tell. Its hard to perceive sarcasm through twitter.

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By mekon

I don't know about this discussion, but it seems tangentially on-topic that I just want the fake Michael Jackson back in PvZ so I can roll a lawnmower over him. (as in 2K doing a Men In Black "did you see what happened? Nope" moment)

robbparris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#65  Edited By robbparris
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Jeff genuinely not happy about it or is he not happy about it in a jokey way? I can't tell. Its hard to perceive sarcasm through twitter.

I don't think he's TMZ feud style unhappy about it, but some places seem to think it's newsworthy.

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla said:

Only a crazy person would think "Approved by Jeff".

Nine Minutes Later

I'd be kind of annoyed as well if someone depicted me representing this piece of shit series.

Um.. hmm...

@pmmcl a company can't sue over personality rights. Only the individual in question. CBS also can't really claim any rights to the "Dr. Tracksuit" character, since he was created outside of Giant Bomb exclusively for the PAX Rumble.

Speaking of the PAX Rumble; Why didn't anyone get upset about Harmonix's infringement of the WWE's "Royal Rumble" trademark with the first PAX event? Now that's something you could actually sue over. lol

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#68  Edited By Milkman

From that Polygon article:

In wrestling parlance, this foofaraw appears to be a "shoot" (i.e. legit) and not a "work" (scripted for storyline purposes).

No Caption Provided

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't beat 100 percent.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Christ, it's like nobody has a sense of humour anymore.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 chaser324  Moderator

Christ, it's like nobody has a sense of humour anymore.

I doubt anything regarding lawyers happened here or would've happened if the trailer hadn't been changed. I'm guessing someone slipped it into the trailer, and then when they realized Jeff's reaction wasn't flattering to the game, they pulled the rip cord because it would be preferable to have Jeff saying nothing about WWE 2K16 as opposed to trashing it.

richied0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was content to just snigger along at how daft this all is and then Polygon went and wrote a news article.

Lights off, close it down, we're done.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ShaggE

@obcdexter said:

This post deserves more love. That's some Godfather/Goodfather shit right there.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not trying to start any debates or stir up any shit but if we lived in a alternate timeline where the WWE 2K games were actually good, do you guys think Jeff would still have an issue with this scenario?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: Nah I get all that, I'm talking about the reaction threads I'm seeing pop up everywhere I frequent. Everyone is frothing at the mouth working themselves into a shoot and in the end it's all over a dumb two second reference that nobody outside of this website would even understand.

It's just, man, do we as a species have nothing better to do?

Namoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Namoo

@chaser324: It's just, man, do we as a species have nothing better to do?

You already know the answer to that.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon: The Internet certainly doesn't. Far dumber things have fueled far worse frothing internet rage.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@namoo said:

@oldirtybearon said:

First world problems: getting more riled up about the use of an internet celebrity's wrestling persona without his permission than you get about federal politics.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not trying to start any debates or stir up any shit but if we lived in a alternate timeline where the WWE 2K games were actually good, do you guys think Jeff would still have an issue with this scenario?

I think he'd be weirded out regardless, because I think anyone would be kinda weirded out seeing their likeness appear in an official ad for a video game without any prior knowledge. Especially when Jeff seems to consider himself just some random dude on the Internet who talks about games, not a celebrity.

Namoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@namoo said:

@oldirtybearon said:

First world problems: getting more riled up about the use of an internet celebrity's wrestling persona without his permission than you get about federal politics.

Ask the average joe on the street about the latest "reality" celebs and they can talk your ear off for half an hour. Ask them about TTIP and all you get is a blank stare. Roll on WW3 I say.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CHEMTRAILS

Slang_N_Bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that Polygon actually wrote an article about this seems to bother Jeff more than fake Tracksuit.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Man, I genuinely love a lot of what Polygon produces, but it seems more and more that their frequently hilarious, insightful and entertaining video and written features are completely in stark contrast from the trashy, publish anything approach of their news team.

Owen Good and Brian Crecente need to get their shit together ASAP.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Mirado

That about sums it up, in every way possible.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had a feeling something really stupid was going to come out of this (the polygon article). As I said in the wrestling thread, I really hope no one gets fired because of this idiocy. That shit with Nintendo a couple of months back makes me wary of situations like this. The actual thing in question is so obviously innocuous, it doesn't deserve this kind of attention.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like this whole thing is just one big joke.

FranticRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People wanted WWE to Push Dr. Tracksuit. Well they started pushing him. And now no one is happy.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

People wanted WWE to Push Dr. Tracksuit. Well they started pushing him. And now no one is happy.

They pushed him... too far.

Avatar image for fissionmailed10
    FissionMailed10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, 2k got it totally wrong, Tracksuit would never do a pose like that!

Someone needs to dress up as the guy that they replaced Dr Tracksuit with to the next PAX wrestling thing!

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Don't worry, the good doctor always gets his.

ThePencil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr. Tracksuit needs to adopt the Faces Of Foley shtick and take on the persona of Dr. Lawsuit! Followed shortly by the good Dr. Swimsuit and Dr. Spacesuit with all that money he be due from 2K!

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I was unsure until I saw the M.D on the tracksuit. So fucking strange. And yeah, kinda not cool.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

I get the feeling some intern working on the trailer was a big fan of GiantBomb and snuck that in without anyone higher-up realizing the connection. And now things have gone horribly wrong/right.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@milkman: yeah that was...

what is everyone doing?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The only thing sadder then this "drama" is that wrestling is still relevant enough in 2015 to warrant a video game. Can we please let Tony Hawk and Wrestling die in peace, and move on with our lives.

We're doing this now?

No Caption Provided

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing sadder then this "drama" is that wrestling is still relevant enough in 2015 to warrant a video game. Can we please let Tony Hawk and Wrestling die in peace, and move on with our lives.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.