Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Newb Xbox 360er with questions about games

Ciffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Ciffy

Just got a 360 over Memorial Day weekend.  So far I have Hexic HD (came on the console), TMNT 1989 arcade, Aegis Wing and Street Fighter IV.  Burnout Paradise and Banjo-Kazooie Nuts n Bolts are on their way to the house.  I have three questions:

Anyone out there still playing some of these older XBLA games want to add me and help me get the few remaining achievements I need for them? (IffyCiffy is my gamertag.)  I'd like friends to play these with regardless.

Can anyone suggest some good older games given that I like the ones listed above?  I'm not a huge fan of the fps genre, so things like Halo are probably out for me.  Also, I have a toddler in the house, so I'd rather not play stuff with a lot of language or over the top violence (let's say M rated games are pretty much out of the question).  Any suggestions?  Arcade or disc games are fine, I'm on a budget so I can't really afford the $60 titles at this point.

Right now I'm using my computer's internet sharing via wireless in order to connect to Live as the router is on the other end of the house and I can't run a network cable through the living room and down the hallway (see note about toddler above).  Is there a wireless solution for the 360 that doesn't involve the ridiculously overpriced $99 wireless adapter?  If it comes down to it, I guess I could get a cable splitter for the living room and split the cable to the TV with the cable modem and then get a wireless card for the PC where the router is now... that would still be cheaper than the 360 adapter.

Thanks for any help!
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Fallen189

What have you recently been playing pre xbox, and what sort of genres/specific games do you like?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

I've been playing Need for Speed: Most Wanted lately, which is like... a launch title. It's still really good though, racing.

Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Metasin
    crunchmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By crunchmonkey

Bionic Commando: Rearmed is $5 on XBL this week only. You should check it out.

Ciffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ciffy

wow, lots of replies super quick.  thanks!

@ Metasin - will that require any hard coding of IPs or anything tricky to get the xbox to see my network (with a WPA key), or do I just plug it in and the xbox sees it?  Am I voiding any warranties by using 3rd party equipment?  Or were you meaning that USB key for the purposes of getting the other PC onto wireless so I can move my wired router?  Clarify please! :D

@crunchmonkey - I saw that rearmed was down to 400 points this week, is that really just a remake of the classic, or have they changed it quite a bit (besides just graphically)?  Maybe I'll pony up some points and pick that and Geometry Wars 2 up.

@fallen - good question.  Most recently I've been playing Rock Band 2 on the Wii which I really enjoy but don't want to throw out the money for ANOTHER set of plastic instruments.  Before that I got Tetris Party through wii ware.  I'm also playing through Persona 4 and Disgaea 2 on the PS2 but I can't say that I'm a huge RPG fan.  I do like me a good old school shooter (ie Aegis Wing or Geometry Wars).   Some brawlers are good, though I did try the Castle Crashers demo and was kinda meh towards it.  I'd say I'm a fan of good games in general.  If it's well made and fun to play, I'm willing to give it a try.  does that help?
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

Not sure if you're looking to play a game with the kid, but I was surprised by how much fun Spiderman: Friend or Foe was.  Simple sure but if you want a co-op game to play with a younger kid it's good.  Played it with my little brother and he usually struggles with stuff I tried to play with him but we had a good time with that game.

I connect to my wireless router by bridging the ethernet and wireless connections on my laptop and connecting my Xbox 360 to my laptop via an ethernet cable.  Not sure if that's an option for you but that's how I do it.

Old cheap games to pick up IMO: Mass Effect and Crackdown.  Don't think either are too violent and both are a lot of fun.

Ciffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ciffy

Thanks Stephen, yes, I'm using internet sharing on my mac and connecting the mac to the internet via my wireless router so I'm doing something similar; I was just looking for a solution that wouldn't require my laptop constantly be used by my xbox (again, toddler alert).

Not necessarily looking for something that's kid friendly, for her to play just yet, as she's not quite 3, as much as just not containing a lot I'd want her to pick up on (ie language, gore, violence, etc).  I will looking into Spiderman though.  That's the second recommendation for mass effect and crackdown (if I count both on and off forum posts).   Do either of those games have any multiplayer components?
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud
    Ciffy said:
    Thanks Stephen, yes, I'm using internet sharing on my mac and connecting the mac to the internet via my wireless ... [more]
    Crackdown has online co-op that's a ton of fun to play.  Mass Effect is strictly a single player game.

I could recommend more games if there's something to go off of taste wise but otherwise your highly reviewed and popular games on the 360 are recommended.
    cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By cinemandrew
    Ciffy said:
    Just got a 360 over Memorial Day weekend. So far I have Hexic HD (came on the console), TMNT 1989 ... [more]
    Yeah, I bought the wireless adapter. It's not worth the money. My laptop gets a good signal anywhere in my house, but my xbox (which is about 15 feet from the router) just runs like crap when I'm using the adapter. It just serves to remind me how annoying it is that the xbox is so dependent on a good internet connection since the NXE went live. When I plug the xbox in with a network cable, it works fine. I think Microsoft has a goal of putting out one completely useless, and overpriced peripheral each generation. With the original xbox it was the memory card, which I also bought. I really need to stop trusting Microsoft.

Edit: Also, go get Geometry Wars 2. That game is addicting. BC: Rearmed is good, but tough. I loved castle crashers, but it's probably not for everyone. Mass Effect is good, especially for $20, though not really appropriate for kids. Viva Piniata: Trouble in Paradise is another good one. I only played the first one, but I heard this was basically the same exact game with more stuff. I know it seems like a total kids game, but it's actually pretty fun. I don't know if there's a demo for the second one, but there is one for the first one. Try it out.

Edit again!!: If you're looking for multiplayer, try Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. Up to 4 player co-op. I've sunk so many hours into that game. Forza 2 is also a pretty good racing game.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie! :)

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Fallen189

In my eyes, some of the best in the "genres" in my eyes:

Lost Odyssey- Phenomenal RPG, excellent voices and great story, however, can lose steam a bit closer to the end before it picks back up for the ending.
    Banjo 360-Action/Vehicle/Lego/Platformer?- Great game, with such a belcurve of a learning curve. Can be frustrating, but when you do well, you feel like a genius
    Eternal Sonata is also quite nice, gorgeous visuals and Chopin music.

On XBLA, all I can think of is SSF2THDR and Bionic Commando:Rearmed. Both quite hard however.

ptc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By ptc

Some suggestions for great, affordable games:

Retail: (should be able to easily find new copies under $25)
    Crackdown
    Viva Pinata:TIP

Arcade: (400 pts)
    Uno**
    Feeding Frenzy
    **Uno is a hoot.  Tons of people still playing, easy way to meet folks on live.  Just don't enable the camera if you have one...

Arcade: (>400pts)
    Puzzle Quest
    Poker Smash
    Pacman C.E.
    Peggle
    Pinball FX
    Space Invaders Extreme

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By End_Boss
    This game is pretty fucking sweet, and I recommend it to any 360 owner who will listen. The Platinum Hits edition is now available, which features the core game and expansion for a mere $20 bucks. Speaking of cheap games, look into the Orange Box (also $20 bucks); three games in one! Another must-buy is Left 4 Dead. Some to consider are Halo 3 (don't listen to the rabid fanboys or the "too-cool-for-Halo" bashers. Just rent it and make your own judgments), GTAIV (if that's your bag), Bioshock and Gears of War 2 (again, rent this before buying it, as individual opinions vary greatly from player to player).
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You should really try out Rez HD. It's an arcade game, so there's a free trial you can play. It's a on-rails shooter, but it's really cool artistically. Music is real good too. No violence or language whatsoever. E. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 and Pac-Man Championship Edition are also good choices. The prices of all these games should all be around $10 each.

As for disc games. Mass Effect. Yeah, it's M-rated, but it's a light M. There's no real heavy cursing or violence or anything like that. It's a sci-fi shooter RPG. So if that sound appealing to you, I highly recommend it. I think there's a package out there where you can buy it for $20-$30 and get the DLC pack that it came out with for free. If you're into cool character interaction and stuff in games, Mass Effect is awesome. My personal favorite game on 360.

If you're into simulation racers. Forza Motorsport 2 is really good. It's more fun than something like Gran Turismo because you can customize just about everything on your car and give it custom paint jobs and everything. Pretty cool game if you're into that. You can get that for $20.

And of course there's Halo. I don't know if you want something like that though. It's M-rated, but isn't that violent or vulgar. Just an epic sci-fi FPS.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By MKHavoc

If you have a laptop then you'll be able to connect to xbox live using that.  You'll have to go in and change some settings on you laptop to get it work though.  I found out how to do that from a youtube video.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By RHCPfan24
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#18  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

The original Puzzle Quest is a heck of a good game for the money, and if you like Hexic, it's kind of in the same vein.  The Wallace and Gromit games are decent, too.

For regular disc games, with a toddler in the house, you can't go wrong with either Viva Pinata.  Others you might want to check out include: Rock Band/Guitar Hero, Fable 2, Kameo, Forza 2, and most of the Need for Speed games.  Those are all pretty kid friendly.

Ciffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ciffy

Looks like Viva Pinata, crackdown, M:UA, geometry wars and bc:rearmed are my winners for now.  I will probably look into Mass Effect when I want something a little more involved, storywise.  I had no idea that Wallace and Gromit games were already out, will look that up too, as I'm a huge fan.

Also good to know that eternal sonata and lost odyssey come recommended when I'm ready for another RPG.  

Thanks to all!

now I just need friends. =/  anyone want to help me get the last 2 achievements in TMNT arcade and the last 6 in aegis wing? :D:D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.