Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

Games similar to the new XCOM?

• 91 results
    bris_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By bris_guy

It's a shame the 3DS doesn't have more turn based or RTS games. Even the DS only had a few.. I bought my 3DS after seeing shadow wars... Pitty there isn't a second... Or a new Advanced wars for 3DS.... Maybe somthing will pop up for the Wii U. Imagine a full TV screen full...

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By Morrow

@akaps:

Can't add anything new, but you should be enjoying Valkyria Chronicles, it's lots of fun and not typically anime-crazyish.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@akaps: It IS a tactical JRPG more or less, minus the storyline and with increased volatility and vulnerability; though skill at the game doesn't guarantee success and foreknowledge is everything. It seems unremarkable all things considered, especially when it looks like its going to get a fair number of GoTY's; you might as well give a GoTY to FTL, at least that had an innovative interface in addition to being random and semi-difficult the first go around.

bris_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By bris_guy

"Dawn of Heroes" is a turn based aswell for the DS.. But not that easy. You do get to buy stuff and outfit your people. There is a heroes of might and magic turn based for the DS.. Can't remember the full name..

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#55  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#56  Edited By jimi

Check out Laser Squad Nemesis. It's a play by email game from the creators of the original x-com that nobody seems to have heard of.

I remember playing a ton of the game, I got it on a website called Home of the Underdogs back in the day so I'm not sure if it's even around for purchase/download any more. It is a similar style to x-com but instead of each team taking it in turns, each team plans out 10 seconds of actions and then they both happen simultaneously.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By crusader8463

I hope that this game gives publishers a kick in the ass and we start to see these games get greenlight more. We need more Turn Based RPGs that are not crappy cash ins from Japan on handheld.

bris_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By bris_guy

@FancySoapsMan said:

@bris_guy: Do you mean Might and Magic Clash of Heroes?

That's on PC as well.

I think thats it.. I didn't know it was on PC.. In the same ver anyway.. I have played the other games in the serires on PC.. Heroes of might and magic.. 1-8? around there...

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By Grillbar
    Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Etnos

@crusader8463 said:

I hope that this game gives publishers a kick in the ass and we start to see these games get greenlight more. We need more Turn Based RPGs that are not crappy cash ins from Japan on handheld.

I second this..

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By Anund

I'm not understanding the intense dislike of the new Jagged Alliance game. Sure it wasn't as polished as XCOM but I spent a lot of time with it and I really enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend checking it out of you like the genre. Give it a shot, don't listen to the naysayers :)

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By mason

Valkyria Chronicles is definitely the most similar thing I've played to the new XCOM, but I feel that XCOM is a lot better balanced of an experience.

I liked Valkyria a lot, but I ended up cheezing the whole thing by using mostly scouts and running up on troops and shooting point blank from the back. If I didn't do that, I'd never be able to finish the level quick enough to get a high mission rating. Their rating does not reward careful tactical play. It just wants you to be fast.

Not getting a high mission rating meant you wouldn't get enough experience to level up your troops and keep pace with the story missions. Since you can't replay missions, you'd be forced to grind out the same boring training missions over and over. Fun game, but the experience system is way flawed.

Final Fantasy Tactics is my other go-to tactical game, especially with the difficulty mod that makes the game a lot deeper and more balanced. It doesn't feel all that similar to XCOM, but managing troops, getting better gear, chess-like movement and all that. It has a bit more in common with old X-com, but still it's a classic.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By CptBedlam

@Anund said:

I'm not understanding the intense dislike of the new Jagged Alliance game. Sure it wasn't as polished as XCOM but I spent a lot of time with it and I really enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend checking it out of you like the genre. Give it a shot, don't listen to the naysayers :)

Did you play the earlier JA games (JA2, especially)? The new game is barely a shadow of what JA2 was and vastly inferior in every single way.

And this is not a Diablo2/Diablo3-like nostalgia thing. It's rather as if shitty xbla game Crimson Alliance was the sequel to Diablo 2.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Anund

@CptBedlam said:

@Anund said:

Did you play the earlier JA games (JA2, especially)? The new game is barely a shadow of what JA2 was and vastly inferior in every single way.

And this is not a Diablo2/Diablo3-like nostalgia thing. It's rather as if shitty xbla game Crimson Alliance was the sequel to Diablo 2.

Do you even see my avatar, dude? ;)

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By CptBedlam

@Anund said:

@CptBedlam said:

@Anund said:

Oops. Well, then you know what I'm talking about. ;)

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66  Edited By AuthenticM
    Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Anund

@CptBedlam said:

@Anund said:

@CptBedlam said:

@Anund said:

Oops. Well, then you know what I'm talking about. ;)

I do, and I agree with you. The original JA2 is an objectively better game, but I appreciated the combat system in the new version. I felt they got that part right. The map view is vastly inferior though, and the way the militia is handled is much worse in the new one. To summarize, the old game is vastly superior when it comes to managing your town and the militia. I think the combat system in the new version is fun and at least fairly tactically challenging. And that is where you will spend a large portion of your time playing the game.

It's not as good as JA2, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By peteycoco

I'm going to echo what a lot of people have been saying:

- Jagged Alliance 2 v1.13 (I think the patch/mod is a must have). I found this game harder than xcom, but much more rewarding once you get into it.

- Fallout 1/2/Tactics. Tactics isn't as good as 1 or 2, but it's entirely focused on combat and is more complex because of that.

- Silent Storm

ascagnel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#69  Edited By ascagnel

Nobody's said the Total War series? Granted, they flip the real-time/turn-based portions (the real-time stuff is the battles, and the turn based the "grand strategy"), but they're also awesome. Rome TW is a good starting point.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Anund

@ascagnel said:

Nobody's said the Total War series? Granted, they flip the real-time/turn-based portions (the real-time stuff is the battles, and the turn based the "grand strategy"), but they're also awesome. Rome TW is a good starting point.

This is an awesome game. I also like Medieval 2: Total War. Went down hill with Empire though, I feel :( Still going to pick up Rome 2, obviously. But my expectations are low.

bris_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By bris_guy

Someone must have talked about "UFO : Extraterrestrials" ??? I have a copy.. but never got to play it yet.. but it's just like xcom.. It's win , DirectX9c.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By kpaadet

If you have a psp/vita I would recomend Tactics Ogre, also as many other have mentioned Valkyria Chronicles.

eminenssi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#73  Edited By eminenssi

A bit late to the conversation, but I have to mention WH40K Dawn of War 2 series (The first game and its sequel) since no one mentioned them yet.

The biggest difference is that they're real time, instead of being turn based, but other than that they have alot of similarities; The RPG elements and squad equipment mechanics are even deeper than in XCOM, you can completely revamp a unit's role and behaviour with different gear. The only game mode is basically "iron man-mode", no saving mid missions, and failing a mission has negative consequences for the campaign as whole. Deployment on battlefield dictates the outcome of the battles, you need to use cover, utilize special abilities, keep melee units close to enemy and ranged units afar.

There's also a third game, DoW2:Retribution, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you already played and enjoyed the first two, which have a contuing (and IMO, quite captivating) storyline. Of course, WH40K universe games are sorta acquired taste, I'm automatically a fan having spent many hours and many bucks buying and painting small metallic figurines. If WW2 is more familiar flavor, then Company of Heroes might a better choice, being a technical predecessor to DoW2 series.

Bleaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#74  Edited By Bleaker

@Catfish666 said:

A bit late to the conversation, but I have to mention WH40K Dawn of War 2 series (The first game and its sequel) since no one mentioned them yet.

The biggest difference is that they're real time, instead of being turn based, but other than that they have alot of similarities; The RPG elements and squad equipment mechanics are even deeper than in XCOM, you can completely revamp a unit's role and behaviour with different gear. The only game mode is basically "iron man-mode", no saving mid missions, and failing a mission has negative consequences for the campaign as whole. Deployment on battlefield dictates the outcome of the battles, you need to use cover, utilize special abilities, keep melee units close to enemy and ranged units afar.

There's also a third game, DoW2:Retribution, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you already played and enjoyed the first two, which have a contuing (and IMO, quite captivating) storyline. Of course, WH40K universe games are sorta acquired taste, I'm automatically a fan having spent many hours and many bucks buying and painting small metallic figurines. If WW2 is more familiar flavor, then Company of Heroes might a better choice, being a technical predecessor to DoW2 series.

Aren't those games more RTS than XCOM? Company of Heroes especially. Otherwise I would check the Dawn of War stuff out.

One game I don't hear people talk about is X-Com: Apocalypse. I heard about it from the amazing Lets Play. That Lets Play was so awesome they had to put Otto Zander as a hero in XCOM. Is Apocalypse any good though?

I don't have a PS3 anymore, but is Valkyrie Chronicles 2 any good?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#75  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Another vote for Silent Storm. As far as the raw tactical gameplay goes that is the height of the genre. Jagged Alliance 2 is an awesome game but I do think it feels "dated" for lack of a better word.

It's a shame we don't get a real hardcore entry in the genre like those two games. I did love XCOM but there is something different going on there.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#76  Edited By me3639

I picked up JA2 BIA for 15 bones this week and im totally hooked. I do want to caution it offers zero.zero on anything when it comes to gameplay. Action is where it shines, but the micromanagement is sort of a chore.

Bozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Bozo

Jagged Alliance is definitely the way to go from here if you have a PC. Loved the demo of the new one, and have heard the full game is tits. Jagged Alliance 2 was an obsession for awhile, on of my all time favorites. Its on GOG & Steam. It will run on any functioning post-millenial PC. Jagged Alliance 2 is 2D, but isometric games don't really need fancy graphics IMO.

Jezz_Torrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Jezz_Torrent

@CptBedlam said:

@akaps said:

Not impressed with Jagged Alliance and I am not hearing good things online about it - same goes for UFO.

I hope you are talking about the new Jagged Alliance game, because that is indeed rubbish.

Jagged Alliance 2, however, is the undisputed king of the genre. No Valkyria Chronicles, Frozen Synapse or whatever comes even remotely close the greatness of that game. Do yourself a favor and play it.

I know I'm late to this conversation, but I absolutely agree with this statement. Jagged Alliance 2 is so incredibly good, the best of the genre since the original X-Com, and at least somewhat newer in graphics and interface.

I will disagree with the suggestion to install the v1.13 mod, though, at least for your first playthrough. JA2 is a substantially more complicated game than the new XCOM, with a huge number of weapons and systems. v1.13 makes it even more complicated, throws in even more stuff, and bumps up the difficulty on what is already a hard game. I would recommend at the very least playing a few hours of vanilla to get a handle on the game before re-starting with v1.13 if you really want to use the mod.

Also I would highly recommend reading a FAQ/guide for the very beginning of the game -- once you get past the first hump you'll be fine, but the start of that game can be brutal. Don't let that scare you off though! It's so good, it's worth it.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By CptBedlam

@PeteyCoco said:

- Jagged Alliance 2 v1.13 (I think the patch/mod is a must have). I found this game harder than xcom, but much more rewarding once you get into it.

I strongly disagree. New players should play the vanilla JA2 (patched to 1.12). Patch 1.13 makes it a slightly different game and is for experienced players.

@me3639 said:

I picked up JA2 BIA for 15 bones this week and im totally hooked. I do want to caution it offers zero.zero on anything when it comes to gameplay. Action is where it shines, but the micromanagement is sort of a chore.

You should've bought the original JA2...the new one is rubbish compared to that game.

Ravenhoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 7

#80  Edited By Ravenhoe

I enjoyed Shadow Watch, a great Squad Based Strategy game that never enjoyed the success it should have. Good game.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Anund

@CptBedlam said:

@PeteyCoco said:

I strongly disagree. New players should play the vanilla JA2 (patched to 1.12). Patch 1.13 makes it a slightly different game and is for experienced players.

@me3639 said:

You should've bought the original JA2...the new one is rubbish compared to that game.

As I said before, it's not "rubbish", not even close. It's not as good as JA2 was when it came out, but for a new player I think BIA may well be the way to go.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By CptBedlam

@Anund said:

@CptBedlam said:

@PeteyCoco said:

@me3639 said:

As I said before, it's not "rubbish", not even close. It's not as good as JA2 was when it came out, but for a new player I think BIA may well be the way to go.

It's mediocre at best. Why recommend it over the fantastic JA2?

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Anund

@CptBedlam said:

@Anund said:

@CptBedlam said:

@PeteyCoco said:

@me3639 said:

It's mediocre at best. Why recommend it over the fantastic JA2?

Well, it would depend on the person playing the game. I think JA2 is an overall better game but it is way less accessible and the graphics, while fine to me, may well put a new player off. It's also a much slower game. The new version really speeds up the combat a lot.

If you just played the modern XCOM: Enemy Unknown and have no previous experience of older turn-based games, BIA will be a closer match than JA2.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#84  Edited By AssInAss
    polomea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

polomea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By polomea

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frozen Synapse is awesome. But there is no RPG elements to it.

Avatar image for justbeforetheend
    justbeforetheend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently saw an xcom gameplay. I dont know if it has rpg side or it's just tactical turn game. But there is only one game , as much as i know , that has theese elements. Tactical group rpg turn based game. It's fallout tactics brotherhood of steel. As i was looking similar game to ftbos i came across jadged alliance series. Brotherhood was released in 2001 and J.a. 1 in 1994-95 , J.a. 2 in 1999 - 2004. In 2013 was released the f2p Jadged alliance online. And last the new Jadged alliance Back in action released in 2012. The deifference is Fallout lets you choose between turn based and real time. Both of the games worth to take a look.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Necroposting is frowned upon. Check the post date next time.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justbeforetheend:

Oh no! It would appear that some sort of asshole is frowning upon you! Quick, run and hide the posting police are on our case :D

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#91  Edited By Zripwud

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.