Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Mr. Scratch (some spoilers)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

So, in one sequence nearing the end, I believe Alan gets swallowed up by the darkness and Thomas Zane comes by in his diving suit to help him out.  At this point, Alan sees a mirror image or clone of himself, just staring at him.  And then Thomas Zane, in his weird Big Daddy voice, says "Don't mind him.  He's Mr. Scratch."

I have no idea what this means, and thus it's probably my favorite part of the game.  A lot of the stuff in the game was too understandable; the lady of the light, Hartman, and evil lady Jagger... I could have it be more insane and out there.  That's probably why I liked the Mr. Scratch line.

Avatar image for somethingclever
    SomethingClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By SomethingClever

I was figuring that by fixing the story Alan would no longer be part of it.  He would once again be outside of the story so Mr Scratch was there to take his place.  Maybe.  I just finished the game and I'm still processing what happened.   

What I thought was a little weird was that when he said "Mr. Scratch" I didn't hear the word 'scratch' I just got a sort of 'sc' sound then static.  I only knew he was Scratch from the captions.  I thought that was interesting but I wasn't sure if it really happened or if I just misheard it.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By I_smell

Yeah I don't get this either. It seems kind of out-of-nowhere.

@Phunk_King

said:

" I was figuring that by fixing the story Alan would no longer be part of it.  He would once again be outside of the story so Mr Scratch was there to take his place.  "

That kinda makes sense. That's why his name was all scritched out: because he's bin edited out of the story.

edit- MAYBE Alan edited himself out of existance. That's why he was talking about balance and losing/gaining things at the end there. Maybe he sacrificed himself to bring back Alice- Which is why Alice crawls out of the lake alone at the end.
    Maybe that's what Thomas Zane did aswell, which is why nobody's ever heard of him.
     I don't know, this game hardly makes any sense.
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By bybeach

mr. scrath had a function, no doubt. I got the sacrifice from Alan wake talking about hitting a balance and their consquences, and of course Alice coming out on her own. But there does seem to be something else going on. Alan wake may not be so sacrificed. Mr. Scratch..... 

I'll say it here, because I do not think it's worth a thread..but I might. This game rocked, but at times I respected it more than enjoyed it. I'm sorry it did a little sub-par, though I can see it's not going to be wildly popular. I look forward to the dlc, and to tell the truth, the big deal that was made of product placement. You really had to look for it, it's like they did do it, then buried it. Pretty piss poor effort at a sell-out!
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By I_smell

Yeah I can't believe how people talked about the product placement. If nobody'd mentioned it, I literally wouldn't have noticed.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Jeust
    Avatar image for mancombseepgood
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By MancombSeepgood

One of the guys from Rememdy commented on the "game club" that Kotaku posted a while back saying that we will learn more about Mr. Scratch. Be that through DLC or a sequel, I don't know, but I look forward to knowing more about this one, it was definitely very weird and the fact it wasn't dwelled upon for very long only makes it more mysterious.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jeust
    @MancombSeepgood said:
    " One of the guys from Rememdy commented on the "game club" that Kotaku posted a while back saying that we will learn more about Mr. Scratch. Be that through DLC or a sequel, I don't know, but I look forward to knowing more about this one, it was definitely very weird and the fact it wasn't dwelled upon for very long only makes it more mysterious. "
    I think the first DLC is with Mr. Scratch, because as you remember Alan Wake is still in the cabin, and the DLC features him. 
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MancombSeepgood
    @Jeust:  Really? I never knew that. Intereseting. I hadn't heard much of what the DLC was about.. But even still, there's going to be more than one so they could do on with Mr. Scratch at any time they liked :) I just hope they shed at least a little light on him (pun most definitely intended) before the sequel.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jeust
    @MancombSeepgood said:
    " @Jeust:  Really? I never knew that. Intereseting. I hadn't heard much of what the DLC was about.. But even still, there's going to be more than one so they could do on with Mr. Scratch at any time they liked :) I just hope they shed at least a little light on him (pun most definitely intended) before the sequel. "
    I don't think there is much light to be shed on him. He basically is an avatar for Thomas Zane, in a similar way as Barbara Jagger was to the Darkness. It's about keeping the balance. :p
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MancombSeepgood
    @Jeust said:
     He basically is an avatar for Thomas Zane, in a similar way as Barbara Jagger was to the Darkness. It's about keeping the balance. :p "
    That's an interesting way of looking at it. Sounds like a good explanation to me :) I can't wait for any of the DLC to be honest, expanding on this awesome story will be...Well, awesome? :) 
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jeust
    @MancombSeepgood said:
    " @Jeust said:
     He basically is an avatar for Thomas Zane, in a similar way as Barbara Jagger was to the Darkness. It's about keeping the balance. :p "
    That's an interesting way of looking at it. Sounds like a good explanation to me :) I can't wait for any of the DLC to be honest, expanding on this awesome story will be...Well, awesome? :)  "
    Yeah, the first one is almost launching. :D
    j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By j_drace
    @Brodehouse@MancombSeepgood: I think Mr. Scratch is replacing Alan Wake in reality until Alan Wake can write himself back in to the real world, if that can even happen.  I say that since Wake is still stuck in that world writing a new manuscript.  Mr. Scratch will most likely be the main protagonist in the sequel and he will be playing out Alan Wake's new manuscript.  I apologize for posting this very late I did not realize that date of the creation for this topic nor did I realize this was basically said by someone else or that the Alan Wake forum is pretty dead.
    tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tsolless
    @I_smell said:
    That kinda makes sense. That's why his name was all scritched out: because he's bin edited out of the story.  edit- MAYBE Alan edited himself out of existance. That's why he was talking about balance and losing/gaining things at the end there. Maybe he sacrificed himself to bring back Alice- Which is why Alice crawls out of the lake alone at the end. Maybe that's what Thomas Zane did aswell, which is why nobody's ever heard of him.  I don't know, this game hardly makes any sense. "
    Yeah, that is what Zane did. It discussed that in the game that he removed himself from existence but added the caveat that anything of his in that shoebox would still exist.
    I don't think Alan did it though because it was implied that Zane messed the whole thing up by removing himself like that.
    reinha6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By reinha6

Mr. Scratch is the novelized version of Alan Wake. Alan Wake is stuck in the cabin and you only play as him in the very beginning. Everything from the car crash on is Mr. Scratch, who is the version of Alan that Alan is writing in the story. It's all a story that is being manipulated by Barbara Jagger in an attempt to give the darkness power, but the TVs are Alan's 
    subconscious trying to make him realize that it's not real. The DLC delves further into this concept.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeust
    @reinha6 said:

" Mr. Scratch is the novelized version of Alan Wake. Alan Wake is stuck in the cabin and you only play as him in the very beginning. Everything from the car crash on is Mr. Scratch, who is the version of Alan that Alan is writing in the story. It's all a story that is being manipulated by Barbara Jagger in an attempt to give the darkness power, but the TVs are Alan's  subconscious trying to make him realize that it's not real. The DLC delves further into this concept. "

I think you are confused. 

The story of Alan Wake suggests he is the one behind the wheel in the car crash at the beginning. And he after some twists needs to get into the cabin to write the last page of the manuscript that is still at the typewriter. Mr. Scratch is only written at the end of the story, before Alan gets to the the cabin.  

The DLCs are the materialization of Alan's despair and fear. Of facing the darkness, of getting out of the cabin, his fear of falling and both succeeding, he is afraid, and confused, drunk in his own fear, demented. The second part will probably be about the return of Alan into reality, from his nightmares. Like Thomas Zane said at some point in the first part of the dlc, it isn't the darkness, it's him, having a lucid dream (nightmare).   

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.