Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 12, 2013

A first-person shooter set in the Alien universe. The player is part of a search-and-rescue team sent out to search for the missing USCM team last seen in Aliens.

Is anyone here going to watch the first three Alien films before this game?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By rentfn

I watched the first three before Prometheus and was really let down. That might of because I had such high hopes for the film. So I might avoid doing it again.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NTM

@rentfn: Wait, you were let down by Prometheus, or the three films? If I were you, I would have forgotten three and just saw the first two before that; then again, you don't even need to watch the Alien films to see Prometheus since that tangents off into its own thing.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Giantstalker

The only one I really liked was Aliens, and since this game seems to be based purely on that, I think I can safely skip the other two.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#5  Edited By audioBusting

I'll probably watch all of them, been meaning to do it anyway. Isn't there 4 Alien movies out?

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rentfn

@NTM:I was let down by Prometheus. It was mostly on me. I went in hoping it was a direct prequel to the Alien movies. So I watched all of them to catch all the hidden nods they were going to make. They didn't really make many. I did like Prometheus overall though. But in terms of marathoning something for something else I might stay away from it.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By GunstarRed

No, because I know Aliens like the back of my hand, It's the best movie ever made. I actually hate that I feel kinda self-forced to buy this game despite it not looking all that great.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By medacris

I've never watched them, and I've had them recommended to me as good movies to watch regardless, so I'm planning on watching at least Alien, Aliens, and Prometheus.

Although I'm going to agree with the complaint of one of the Escapist commentators (it might have been Jimquisition) that it's very weird that there's no female characters playable in multiplayer, not even Ridley or Vasquez.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Sackmanjones

Still on the edge about this game. I'm hoping its good. It would be nice to get a new game for my wii u tha uses the controller well and this game obviously has some potential to do so.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

@audioBusting: Yeah, but you don't really have to watch Alien 4, the game doesn't touch on anything from that movie, and that movie sucks.

@rentfn: I guess so, though I kind of love the way they're tangent-ting off into its own thing; it's unique.

@GunstarRed: That's good to know.

@medacris: Yeah, you should see them, and those three are the ones to watch if any.

@Sackmanjones: Supposedly, it "depends on how much you want to geek out." (That was paraphrasing.) Other than that, it's not really supposed to be any different than the other versions. What you've heard about it I believe is what you're going to get with it if that's the system you're choosing to get it on.

Avatar image for deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc
    deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

still fresh in my mind bro, so no thanks

oh and if you have a NDS, get Aliens: Infestation. that game kinda bridge the story between the films and CM.

it explains why the Sulaco came back to LV426 after Alien3 and why there's a truckload of aliens onboard

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

I could probably just watch them in my head by now.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jillsandwich

@medacris said:

Although I'm going to agree with the complaint of one of the Escapist commentators (it might have been Jimquisition) that it's very weird that there's no female characters playable in multiplayer, not even Ridley or Vasquez.

You sure? They made sure to clear up the matter of ladies in campaign, there aren't any in multiplayer?

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@audioBusting said:

I'll probably watch all of them, been meaning to do it anyway. Isn't there 4 Alien movies out?

Do not for the love of god watch Alien Resurrection (4). Ok watch it if you want but it's terrible.

I picked C because I've watched those movies more times then I can count so no need to do it special for the game.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Grimhild

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@audioBusting said:

Do not for the love of god watch Alien Resurrection (4). Ok watch it if you want but it's terrible.

I picked C because I've watched those movies more times then I can count so no need to do it special for the game.

I hate Resurrection far more than I really should. But FFFFFFFFFUU I really hate that movie.

G. Other: I watch the first and second one on a semi regular basis anyway. Three occasionally. But the first one is probably one of my most favorite movies if I had to pick favorites, which I hate doing.

Fingers crossed for this release, though.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Whats with the Resurrection hate, is a great action movie which is terribly written, like any good action movie.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Grimhild: No you hate it the correct amount.

@Bourbon_Warrior: No it's a bad movie which is terribly written. Action movies don't have to be poorly written. I'm not saying I don't appreciate a big dumb explodey action movie but I'd prefer a well written one. That's beside the point though, even if Resurrection was a big dumb explodey action movie, I don't want a movie like that anywhere near the Aliens franchise. If I wanna watch a well written good action movie in the series I'll watch Aliens.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18  Edited By Raven10

Only ever seen the first movie. Don't plan on playing the game anytime soon. I heard Aliens was pretty good. Might watch it one day. Probably not.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By EVO

I enjoyed Resurrection.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@TheSouthernDandy: It's a good movie, more Weaver as Ripley is always great, even though she is just a clone of her.

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By onyxghost

All you need is Aliens.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MikeGosot

@Grimhild said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@audioBusting said:

I hate Resurrection far more than I really should. But FFFFFFFFFUU I really hate that movie.

G. Other: I watch the first and second one on a semi regular basis anyway. Three occasionally. But the first one is probably one of my most favorite movies if I had to pick favorites, which I hate doing.

Fingers crossed for this release, though.

I watched Ressurrection before i watched the other movies, so i always thought it was just regular bad. Not "OMGIHATETHISHIT!" bad. Just bad. And it had some creative death scenes, and i'm a sucker for those.

But yeah, i'm going to watch the first three movies before i play the game, but that doesn't mean i will buy it when it launches.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Sooty

Alien 3 is actually kind of good. It's Resurrection that feels super dumb.

I think 3 is a halfway point between Alien and Aliens. It's more action than Alien (If I remember right) but more suspense than Aliens. (definitely)

Also, Space British!

edit: and fun fact I stumbled upon when on Wikipedia, in Resurrection when Ripley throws a basketball without looking and it goes in the hoop that was 100% real and so was Ron Perlman's reaction, haha.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I've watched them so many times I don't need a refresher or anything although playing this game may make me want to watch them afterwards.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kindgineer

I never liked the Alien movies. Most likely due to the fact I watched them when I was younger and thought them to be more disgusting than terrifying. However, the game looks fun and I cannot wait to see if the multi-player pans out well enough to a more simplistic Natural Selection 1/2 approach.

EDIT: Is Aliens (1) on Netflix? I should probably watch it seeing as it is considered a "classic."

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Grimhild

@Sooty said:

I think 3 is a halfway point between Alien and Aliens. It's more action than Alien (If I remember right) but more suspense than Aliens. (definitely)

Also, Space British!

edit: and fun fact I stumbled upon when on Wikipedia, in Resurrection when Ripley throws a basketball without looking and it goes in the hoop that was 100% real and so was Ron Perlman's reaction, haha.

Especially when you consider what David Fincher had to deal with while making 3. Not only his first major movie, but the producers were handing him script revisions through most of principle photography when he had already shot most of the movie. All things considered, it's definitely not bad (except for the CGI at the time... eesh).

And also, Space British in-fucking-deed.

EDIT:

Also Resurrection producers at Fox failed to give H.R. Giger credit for the alien design, which is another reason I dislike it.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Grimhild said:

@Sooty said:

Also, Space British!

Especially when you consider what David Fincher had to deal with while making 3. Not only his first major movie, but the producers were handing him script revisions through most of principle photography when he had already shot most of the movie. All things considered, it's definitely not bad (except for the CGI at the time... eesh).

And also, Space British in-fucking-deed.

All of this. Considering what a mess that production was it's amazing it turned out as good as it is.

Wanna hear somethin that'll blow your mind? That's not CGI it's a hand operated miniature. A puppet on a blue screen. It's actually pretty amazing the way they did it. The making of features for that whole series is some of the most interesting I've seen.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Grimhild

@TheSouthernDandy:

True that, I guess it's just the blue screen matting that they used for it that looks weird to me. I know they used some really early CGI in there that looked really dodgy though, like like when the alien's head starts to crack from the temperature differential. It just always sticks out for me. I'm also a fan of the "less is more" approach like in Alien and Jaws. When I get shown too much (like in Resurrection) it's usually kind of disappointing. Just personal preference though.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AngeTheDude

I didn't like Alien 3. I can watch the first two many times over, though.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By joshthebear

I'm fine with the first 3, although only if 3 is the assembly cut. Resurrection, does not exist in my world.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By casper_

i liked the first one but i didnt get the others

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HeyImPhoenix

The though never even entered my head, but now! Thanks for the idea, I like it!!

boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33  Edited By boj4ngles

Well, the Alien movies are cool but they are pretty stand alone as well. I mean yeah, the story of Ripley kind of links them together but other than that they might as well not be a trilogy, or quadrilogy at all. It's not like they're Matrix or Lord of the Rings.

But just out of curiosity, how is the new game supposed to fit into the movie timeline and setting? I take from OP that it's right after the end of Aliens?

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By Deranged

Nope, only watching the first two. The third and fourth never lived up to the first two.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#35  Edited By Hailinel

@mcderby4 said:

Nope, only watching the first two. The third and fourth never lived up to the first two.

I wouldn't even watch the second one at this point. Those space marine asshole characters are too over the top.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Deranged

@Hailinel: When are the space marines not portrayed as a little over the top in films or video games? ;)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#37  Edited By Hailinel

@mcderby4 said:

@Hailinel: When are the space marines not portrayed as a little over the top in films or video games? ;)

That's the thing though. The marines in Aliens are so aggravatingly stupid that the catharsis of watching them get destroyed isn't enough to offset the pain of every scene they're in prior to their sweet, wonderful deaths.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Deranged

@Hailinel: Heh, I'd still take that over the idiocy portrayed from the so called "scientists" and "engineers" in Prometheus.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By OfficeGamer

If I buy the game, sure! Always immerse yourself by going through the source material first.

grimmspectre18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By grimmspectre18

Chronologically speaking, wouldn't this be between Aliens and Alien 3?

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41  Edited By spiceninja

I know them all by heart but I don't ever plan on buying this game. It doesn't look very good at all. I'll just stick with AVP2.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

What about Aliens Resurrection? Why is everyone forgetting about Aliens Resurrections?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By colourful_hippie

I don't need to and I don't want to sit through 3 ever again, plus I'm not playing that game.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SeanFoster

I've seen Aliens so many times I'm pretty I'll get every reference in the game even though it's been at least a year or two since I last saw the film.

I'm excited to play this game even though it's looking a little janky. Like Star Trek: Online, I think my love of the source material will overpower any flaws with the game itself.

razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By razkazz

@GunstarRed said:

No, because I know Aliens like the back of my hand, It's the best movie ever made.

^This.

ErEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ErEl

@Colourful_Hippie said:

I don't need to and I don't want to sit through 3 ever again, plus I'm not playing that game.

But 3 is awesome.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By colourful_hippie

@ErEl said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

But 3 is awesome.

but no it's not.

ErEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ErEl

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@ErEl said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

But 3 is awesome.

but no it's not.

I really can't refute that. You make an excellent case.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_Ruiner

From what I understand you only need to watch the first two...

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By colourful_hippie

@ErEl said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@ErEl said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

But 3 is awesome.

but no it's not.

I really can't refute that. You make an excellent case.

Yes I know.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.