Is anyone here going to watch the first three Alien films before this game?

#1 Posted by NTM (7337 posts) -


#2 Posted by rentfn (1279 posts) -

I watched the first three before Prometheus and was really let down. That might of because I had such high hopes for the film. So I might avoid doing it again.

#3 Posted by NTM (7337 posts) -

@rentfn: Wait, you were let down by Prometheus, or the three films? If I were you, I would have forgotten three and just saw the first two before that; then again, you don't even need to watch the Alien films to see Prometheus since that tangents off into its own thing.

#4 Posted by Giantstalker (1625 posts) -

The only one I really liked was Aliens, and since this game seems to be based purely on that, I think I can safely skip the other two.

Online
#5 Posted by audioBusting (1506 posts) -

I'll probably watch all of them, been meaning to do it anyway. Isn't there 4 Alien movies out?

#6 Posted by rentfn (1279 posts) -

@NTM:I was let down by Prometheus. It was mostly on me. I went in hoping it was a direct prequel to the Alien movies. So I watched all of them to catch all the hidden nods they were going to make. They didn't really make many. I did like Prometheus overall though. But in terms of marathoning something for something else I might stay away from it.

#7 Posted by GunstarRed (5116 posts) -

No, because I know Aliens like the back of my hand, It's the best movie ever made. I actually hate that I feel kinda self-forced to buy this game despite it not looking all that great.

#8 Posted by medacris (648 posts) -

I've never watched them, and I've had them recommended to me as good movies to watch regardless, so I'm planning on watching at least Alien, Aliens, and Prometheus.

Although I'm going to agree with the complaint of one of the Escapist commentators (it might have been Jimquisition) that it's very weird that there's no female characters playable in multiplayer, not even Ridley or Vasquez.

#9 Posted by Sackmanjones (4687 posts) -

Still on the edge about this game. I'm hoping its good. It would be nice to get a new game for my wii u tha uses the controller well and this game obviously has some potential to do so.

#10 Edited by NTM (7337 posts) -

@audioBusting: Yeah, but you don't really have to watch Alien 4, the game doesn't touch on anything from that movie, and that movie sucks.

@rentfn: I guess so, though I kind of love the way they're tangent-ting off into its own thing; it's unique.

@GunstarRed: That's good to know.

@medacris: Yeah, you should see them, and those three are the ones to watch if any.

@Sackmanjones: Supposedly, it "depends on how much you want to geek out." (That was paraphrasing.) Other than that, it's not really supposed to be any different than the other versions. What you've heard about it I believe is what you're going to get with it if that's the system you're choosing to get it on.

#11 Edited by sate2801 (344 posts) -

still fresh in my mind bro, so no thanks

oh and if you have a NDS, get Aliens: Infestation. that game kinda bridge the story between the films and CM.

it explains why the Sulaco came back to LV426 after Alien3 and why there's a truckload of aliens onboard

#12 Posted by believer258 (11792 posts) -

I could probably just watch them in my head by now.

#13 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

@medacris said:

Although I'm going to agree with the complaint of one of the Escapist commentators (it might have been Jimquisition) that it's very weird that there's no female characters playable in multiplayer, not even Ridley or Vasquez.

You sure? They made sure to clear up the matter of ladies in campaign, there aren't any in multiplayer?

#14 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3855 posts) -

@audioBusting said:

I'll probably watch all of them, been meaning to do it anyway. Isn't there 4 Alien movies out?

Do not for the love of god watch Alien Resurrection (4). Ok watch it if you want but it's terrible.

I picked C because I've watched those movies more times then I can count so no need to do it special for the game.

#15 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@audioBusting said:

I'll probably watch all of them, been meaning to do it anyway. Isn't there 4 Alien movies out?

Do not for the love of god watch Alien Resurrection (4). Ok watch it if you want but it's terrible.

I picked C because I've watched those movies more times then I can count so no need to do it special for the game.

I hate Resurrection far more than I really should. But FFFFFFFFFUU I really hate that movie.

G. Other: I watch the first and second one on a semi regular basis anyway. Three occasionally. But the first one is probably one of my most favorite movies if I had to pick favorites, which I hate doing.

Fingers crossed for this release, though.

#16 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Whats with the Resurrection hate, is a great action movie which is terribly written, like any good action movie.

#17 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3855 posts) -

@Grimhild: No you hate it the correct amount.

@Bourbon_Warrior: No it's a bad movie which is terribly written. Action movies don't have to be poorly written. I'm not saying I don't appreciate a big dumb explodey action movie but I'd prefer a well written one. That's beside the point though, even if Resurrection was a big dumb explodey action movie, I don't want a movie like that anywhere near the Aliens franchise. If I wanna watch a well written good action movie in the series I'll watch Aliens.

#18 Posted by Raven10 (1764 posts) -

Only ever seen the first movie. Don't plan on playing the game anytime soon. I heard Aliens was pretty good. Might watch it one day. Probably not.

#19 Posted by EVO (3890 posts) -

I enjoyed Resurrection.

#20 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy: It's a good movie, more Weaver as Ripley is always great, even though she is just a clone of her.

#21 Posted by onyxghost (306 posts) -

All you need is Aliens.

#22 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

@Grimhild said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@audioBusting said:

I'll probably watch all of them, been meaning to do it anyway. Isn't there 4 Alien movies out?

Do not for the love of god watch Alien Resurrection (4). Ok watch it if you want but it's terrible.

I picked C because I've watched those movies more times then I can count so no need to do it special for the game.

I hate Resurrection far more than I really should. But FFFFFFFFFUU I really hate that movie.

G. Other: I watch the first and second one on a semi regular basis anyway. Three occasionally. But the first one is probably one of my most favorite movies if I had to pick favorites, which I hate doing.

Fingers crossed for this release, though.

I watched Ressurrection before i watched the other movies, so i always thought it was just regular bad. Not "OMGIHATETHISHIT!" bad. Just bad. And it had some creative death scenes, and i'm a sucker for those.

But yeah, i'm going to watch the first three movies before i play the game, but that doesn't mean i will buy it when it launches.

#23 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Alien 3 is actually kind of good. It's Resurrection that feels super dumb.

I think 3 is a halfway point between Alien and Aliens. It's more action than Alien (If I remember right) but more suspense than Aliens. (definitely)

Also, Space British!

edit: and fun fact I stumbled upon when on Wikipedia, in Resurrection when Ripley throws a basketball without looking and it goes in the hoop that was 100% real and so was Ron Perlman's reaction, haha.

#24 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2216 posts) -

I've watched them so many times I don't need a refresher or anything although playing this game may make me want to watch them afterwards.

#25 Edited by yoshisaur (2701 posts) -

I never liked the Alien movies. Most likely due to the fact I watched them when I was younger and thought them to be more disgusting than terrifying. However, the game looks fun and I cannot wait to see if the multi-player pans out well enough to a more simplistic Natural Selection 1/2 approach.

EDIT: Is Aliens (1) on Netflix? I should probably watch it seeing as it is considered a "classic."

#26 Edited by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@Sooty said:

Alien 3 is actually kind of good. It's Resurrection that feels super dumb.

I think 3 is a halfway point between Alien and Aliens. It's more action than Alien (If I remember right) but more suspense than Aliens. (definitely)

Also, Space British!

edit: and fun fact I stumbled upon when on Wikipedia, in Resurrection when Ripley throws a basketball without looking and it goes in the hoop that was 100% real and so was Ron Perlman's reaction, haha.

Especially when you consider what David Fincher had to deal with while making 3. Not only his first major movie, but the producers were handing him script revisions through most of principle photography when he had already shot most of the movie. All things considered, it's definitely not bad (except for the CGI at the time... eesh).

And also, Space British in-fucking-deed.

EDIT:

Also Resurrection producers at Fox failed to give H.R. Giger credit for the alien design, which is another reason I dislike it.

#27 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3855 posts) -

@Grimhild said:

@Sooty said:

Alien 3 is actually kind of good. It's Resurrection that feels super dumb.

I think 3 is a halfway point between Alien and Aliens. It's more action than Alien (If I remember right) but more suspense than Aliens. (definitely)

Also, Space British!

edit: and fun fact I stumbled upon when on Wikipedia, in Resurrection when Ripley throws a basketball without looking and it goes in the hoop that was 100% real and so was Ron Perlman's reaction, haha.

Especially when you consider what David Fincher had to deal with while making 3. Not only his first major movie, but the producers were handing him script revisions through most of principle photography when he had already shot most of the movie. All things considered, it's definitely not bad (except for the CGI at the time... eesh).

And also, Space British in-fucking-deed.

All of this. Considering what a mess that production was it's amazing it turned out as good as it is.

Wanna hear somethin that'll blow your mind? That's not CGI it's a hand operated miniature. A puppet on a blue screen. It's actually pretty amazing the way they did it. The making of features for that whole series is some of the most interesting I've seen.

#28 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy:

True that, I guess it's just the blue screen matting that they used for it that looks weird to me. I know they used some really early CGI in there that looked really dodgy though, like like when the alien's head starts to crack from the temperature differential. It just always sticks out for me. I'm also a fan of the "less is more" approach like in Alien and Jaws. When I get shown too much (like in Resurrection) it's usually kind of disappointing. Just personal preference though.

#29 Posted by AngeTheDude (666 posts) -

I didn't like Alien 3. I can watch the first two many times over, though.

#30 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

I'm fine with the first 3, although only if 3 is the assembly cut. Resurrection, does not exist in my world.

#31 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

i liked the first one but i didnt get the others

#32 Posted by HeyImPhoenix (169 posts) -

The though never even entered my head, but now! Thanks for the idea, I like it!!

#33 Posted by boj4ngles (287 posts) -

Well, the Alien movies are cool but they are pretty stand alone as well. I mean yeah, the story of Ripley kind of links them together but other than that they might as well not be a trilogy, or quadrilogy at all. It's not like they're Matrix or Lord of the Rings.

But just out of curiosity, how is the new game supposed to fit into the movie timeline and setting? I take from OP that it's right after the end of Aliens?

#34 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Nope, only watching the first two. The third and fourth never lived up to the first two.

#35 Posted by Hailinel (24395 posts) -

@mcderby4 said:

Nope, only watching the first two. The third and fourth never lived up to the first two.

I wouldn't even watch the second one at this point. Those space marine asshole characters are too over the top.

#36 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@Hailinel: When are the space marines not portrayed as a little over the top in films or video games? ;)

#37 Posted by Hailinel (24395 posts) -

@mcderby4 said:

@Hailinel: When are the space marines not portrayed as a little over the top in films or video games? ;)

That's the thing though. The marines in Aliens are so aggravatingly stupid that the catharsis of watching them get destroyed isn't enough to offset the pain of every scene they're in prior to their sweet, wonderful deaths.

#38 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@Hailinel: Heh, I'd still take that over the idiocy portrayed from the so called "scientists" and "engineers" in Prometheus.

#39 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

If I buy the game, sure! Always immerse yourself by going through the source material first.

#40 Edited by grimmspectre18 (70 posts) -

Chronologically speaking, wouldn't this be between Aliens and Alien 3?

#41 Posted by spiceninja (3056 posts) -

I know them all by heart but I don't ever plan on buying this game. It doesn't look very good at all. I'll just stick with AVP2.

#42 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3198 posts) -

What about Aliens Resurrection? Why is everyone forgetting about Aliens Resurrections?

#43 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4338 posts) -

I don't need to and I don't want to sit through 3 ever again, plus I'm not playing that game.

#44 Posted by SeanFoster (866 posts) -

I've seen Aliens so many times I'm pretty I'll get every reference in the game even though it's been at least a year or two since I last saw the film.

I'm excited to play this game even though it's looking a little janky. Like Star Trek: Online, I think my love of the source material will overpower any flaws with the game itself.

#45 Edited by razkazz (169 posts) -

@GunstarRed said:

No, because I know Aliens like the back of my hand, It's the best movie ever made.

^This.

#46 Posted by ErEl (142 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

I don't need to and I don't want to sit through 3 ever again, plus I'm not playing that game.

But 3 is awesome.

#47 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4338 posts) -

@ErEl said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

I don't need to and I don't want to sit through 3 ever again, plus I'm not playing that game.

But 3 is awesome.

but no it's not.

#48 Posted by ErEl (142 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@ErEl said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

I don't need to and I don't want to sit through 3 ever again, plus I'm not playing that game.

But 3 is awesome.

but no it's not.

I really can't refute that. You make an excellent case.

#49 Posted by The_Ruiner (1041 posts) -

From what I understand you only need to watch the first two...

#50 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4338 posts) -

@ErEl said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@ErEl said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

I don't need to and I don't want to sit through 3 ever again, plus I'm not playing that game.

But 3 is awesome.

but no it's not.

I really can't refute that. You make an excellent case.

Yes I know.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.