Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Animal Crossing: City Folk

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Nov 16, 2008

Animal Crossing comes to the Wii as a sequel to the original GameCube and DS versions. Featuring a host of new features such as improved online play, a new voice chat option through the use of Wii Speak, a city for players to visit,and new holidays.

Do people actually care about this game?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By BiggerBomb

I'm wondering, I'm curious! If you're a fan, don't flame me. I'm ambivalent towards the game right now but I hear no chatter over City Folk or any excitement for that matter pertaining to the next installment in the series.

Is this being passed over? Is this going to be swept off store shelves due to the desperate need for people to have a Wii game that's good. What do you guys think?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

And cue Al3xand3r...

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Cube

I really want it to be great.

I honestly do, because it's pretty much the only thing Nintendo has. Sure, there's Madworld and Pikmin 3, but they're just not enough.

See, while someone like Miyamoto is sitting in his office, smirking gallantly thinking of which boring, mundane real-life activity he can poorly mimic next, someone like Cliff Blezinski or Ted Price is figuring out how to make their games bigger and better.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Dalai

I never was interested in the Animal Crossing games myself... not really my thing.  I do expect some more chatter about the game and a review from Jeff, probably the biggest Animal Crossing fan around here.

And it will be swept off shelves.  It's Nintendo.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By RHCPfan24

I am looking forward to it.  Only Wii game I have any interest in, but it still looks like a lot of nice, harmless fun.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Black_Rose

No, i've never been a fan.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By whackmypinata

Yeah, I love Animal Crossing. I enjoyed the GameCube version much more than the DS, though. This version will probably be another nostalgia trip. I hate the casualizing of the user interface (a weak argument, but it still irks me..). The motion controls also don't do anything for me. I guess I want innovation but not too much to stray away from the genuine formula. I don't know if I really want to lay down 50 kahunas on this..

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Emilio

I love Animal Crossing. I skipped the DS version and I'd get the Wii game but I already pre ordered Left 4 Dead and Banjo. I might get it next year... It might take up too much of my time.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I never played Animal Crossing before. I want to try it.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By whackmypinata
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "I never played Animal Crossing before. I want to try it."
    You should pick up the Gamecube version if you have it or a Wii, its truly something special.
    bekern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bekern

I really want to.. but it just feel like the same old stuff. I really wish they would have changed it up more by added new game play mechanics or maybe changing the graphics (I always thought this game would be good cell shaded)
    I think if I didn't play Wild World between the first and this I might be more excited.. but I'm kinda of worn out on it now.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By whackmypinata
    bekern said:
    "I really want to.. but it just feel like the same old stuff. I really wish they would have changed it up more by added new game play mechanics or maybe changing the graphics (I always thought this game would be good cell shaded)
    I think if I didn't play Wild World between the first and this I might be more excited.. but I'm kinda of worn out on it now."
    You have a very good point. I can understand it completely, but on my part, I've had so much enjoyment with this series. It's hard for me to see this come around and let it pass. I know that's a very materialistic thing to say, but that's my impulse.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    whackmypinata said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    You should pick up the Gamecube version if you have it or a Wii, its truly something special."
    Why wouldn't I just get the Wii version, since it seems to be the same game?
    Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Coltonio7

I really can't wait. It's the only game all of my family and I can play together.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By whackmypinata
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "whackmypinata said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    You should pick up the Gamecube version if you have it or a Wii, its truly something special."
    Why wouldn't I just get the Wii version, since it seems to be the same game?"
    The gamecube version was the original, and obviously it's much cheaper now. If you want the Wii version, go for it. At the moment, I can promise you quality in the Gamecube verison.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By kush

I'm sure there are plenty of people looking forward to this game. I was/am a huge fan of both the GC and DS versions, but I have absolutely no interest in this game at all.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RetroIce4

No. I am Playing Animal Forest Plus. I am taking pictures of all my cool neighbors... j/k I got sick of it after Wild World(?). Nothing new but I did like the series.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By clarke0

I'm not very excited about it because it seems like the same game as the other two. Does anybody know what the actual differences are between City Folk and the GC/DS games?

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GioVANNI

Not in the slightest bit.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By keyhunter

I hate Nintendo and Animal crossing, because they're dissapointing. And I will be dissapointed again. But yes I will get this game.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pause422

no.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I was until I saw the near complete lack of change over the previous games in the series during the E3 showing. This was one of my most anticipated games of the year, but it seems they haven't really added much of anything to it or really made any improvements. For a game that you need to invest such a large amount of time in, I see no point in bothering when I've already made so much progress in the GC version and this new one is almost the same game. I sure hope I'm wrong and it offers plenty of new stuff to keep me interested, but from what I've seen, it sure doesn't look that way.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ZenaxPure

I still have not justified my Wild World purchase so I doubt I will be getting this one anytime soon. Played the life out of the original on the cube and got the second when it came along, but it turns out I never played the thing at all. I have tried making a town like 3 times now but I always get bored a few days in...

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AngeTheDude

I don't think there's a lot of hype because Nintendo knows that all the people who've bought the last two games will surely buy this.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Snail

Don't be afraid, I won't flame you. I am a fan of the DS version. So addictive!  And so I am looking forward to this and Wii speak.

And it isn't being passed over because of the all-mighty microphone.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Yes. Even Jeff cares about this game, and Jeff is king of all giant bomb. You should bow down to him and Animal Crossing!!!!!! (I'll stop exaggerating now)

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#27  Edited By JackiJinx

Animal Crossing was the reason I got a GameCube originally. I was intrigued by how things could change like things change in real life, and that there were creatures to give me free food, furniture, and make fun of me (reminds me of my parents). I played the game religiously for months, but eventually grew tired of it and moved onto other titles like Super Smash Brothers Melee, Chibi-Robo, Wind Waker, Tales of Symphonia, and Pikmin.

Ultimately, the game felt a bit empty with only myself running around in town. When the DS one came out, I watched my other friends play it and tried it on my sister's DS. It didn't seem different enough for me to want to play it.

Now that it's coming out on the Wii with sound capabilities and what seems to be identical gameplay completely all around, I don't think I'll get the title. What I need to buy it is the following:

• More variant townsfolk (meaning more species, characters, and more personalities rather than only the existing cardboard cut-outs, though I do love those).
    • More things to collect (not just furniture, wallpaper, and floortiling wise. Other things to get. More NES games, new things, too).
    • More events.
    • More things to do with the villagers (don't go thinking any beastiality ideas. Maybe shooting them down, but no sex)
    • Maybe bigger towns
    • How about an icecream parlor that gets me icecream in my own living room? Ehy? ;)

The game needs significant changes. Seriously.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BiggerBomb
    MattyFTM said:
    "Yes. Even Jeff cares about this game, and Jeff is king of all giant bomb. You should bow down to him and Animal Crossing!!!!!! (I'll stop brown nosing)"

Fixed!
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Snail
    MattyFTM said:
    "Yes. Even Jeff cares about this game, and Jeff is king of all giant bomb. You should bow down to him and Animal Crossing!!!!!! (I'll stop exaggerating now)"
    Yes, of course..
    Exaggerating.. heh.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    BiggerBomb said:
    "MattyFTM said:
    "Yes. Even Jeff cares about this game, and Jeff is king of all giant bomb. You should bow down to him and Animal Crossing!!!!!! (I'll stop brown nosing)"

Fixed!"
    If I was brown nosing I wouldn't have included the "I'll stop exaggerating now" comment at the end.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BiggerBomb

M'kay.

O.<

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.