Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Anno 2070

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 17, 2011

Anno 2070, a part of Ubisoft's strategy franchise Anno, ditches historical settings for a futuristic one. The focus of the game stays true to the series formula of building up cities through exploration and resource management.

Think this title is worth 20 bucks?

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By EarlessShrimp

I've been toying with the idea of getting this one throughout the steam sale. It goes on sale for 20 bucks every so often and keep sitting on the fence. I played the demo and it was pretty fun. I've watched the quicklook twice and it looks intriguing, but I still can't decide. Anyone out there who can really recommend it to me. Or, is anyone out there completely against it and would like to tell me that?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ares42

I bought it way back when it came out and found it to be an inferior version of 1404, but I'm not a huge superfan of the series so I might've missed something essential. I would say it depends on what sort of history you have the series.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EarlessShrimp

@Ares42: At the current juncture in life, this will be my first jump into the anno series. Would you say 1404 would be the best place to start?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ares42

I'm not really the guy to ask as I've only played the 2. It probably won't matter too much as the series seems to be very iterative.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#5  Edited By Kidavenger

It's been out for over a year now and appeared a bit sketchy in the quicklook, it's on my wishlist but not at that price.

Avatar image for presidentofjellybeans
    PresidentOfJellybeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was the first city building game I tried and I had a great time with it. Unfortunately from what I remember the GB quick look didn't do it justice. The guys didn't seem to have any idea what they were doing, but in their defense, it can be a difficult game to break into. I found Youtube to be very helpful in choosing to buy or not and after purchase, tips on how to play. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYFLhADYd3k Hope it helps.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By Atlas

It's a pretty simple and fairly unique city-building game, and all those BlueByte strategy games are well made with great mechanics. I think there's probably a lot of value in the game for 20 bucks. I've been meaning to spend more time with it myself, but other games were getting in the way. Played a couple of hours and it made a good first impression. It's a good looking game as well; menus seemed pretty sleek.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Subjugation

It is a great city building/supply chain management game that is pretty chill. Unfortunately it has a minor military element just like Anno 1404, but it isn't big enough to be a turn off. The games always have really great music and look pretty as well. I loved Anno 1404. It turned into my chill game where SimCity 4 used to be. Anno 2070 is basically the same game but with the sci-fi/future aesthetic instead of the new world.

Check it out on youtube to see what you think if you need more information. They do include a skirmish mode so you have plenty to do after you finish the campaign. In fact the campaign usually just serves as a tutorial more or less. I really grew to like the games personally.

So basically figure out if you like the games, and from that point figure out if you like a sci-fi look more than the look of the 1400s.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By DeeGee

It's essentially a palette swap of 1404 except without the charm.

Oh sure, there's a few new things such as going underwater, but it's hardly game changing. It's fun enough, sure, but I never clicked with it the same way I did with 1404. Something about the setting there just makes that game easier to like then the futuristic setting of 2070. I mean, this game is just a whole lot greyer then 1404. It feels like they dragged a slider down somewhere to remove all the vibrant colours, because everything is grey in the future.

I'd go for 1404 and see how well you like that first.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Giantstalker

I thought it was fine, played it a fair bit when it originally came out.

If you like the futuristic style more than the historical one from 1404, it's a good purchase. I personally thought it was the better game but that's largely because of the theme.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Jadeskye

i've put 190 hours into anno 2070 and think it's great. but i'm also willing to admit i'm a bit nuts.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EarlessShrimp

I ended up snagging it, thanks to all you duders giving input! I'm planning on having a beer or two, or perhaps a Cuba Libre and build myself a futuristic city. The 1404 folks, I'm gonna most likely end up getting that down the road if I dig the feel of 2070. I love historical and sci-fi settings so, if the gameplay fits I'll have to play both.

EDIT: Question: ANSWERED. Discussion on 1404 vs. 2070 can rage onwards, if you really want to say something further I guess.

Zelnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game is on special again . With the new Sim City not being what I want it to be, and wanting something fresher than Sim City 4, I was wondering about getting this. What do you guys think?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.