APB: Reloaded's Closed Beta Slated For February

• 69 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Just so we're on the same page, here's a quick recap of the more recent developments involving the soon-to-be revived MMO APB.

In November, reports snuck out that K2 Network, an organization that specializes in supporting and bringing Asian MMOs to other markets, purchased the rights to APB after the game went up for sale. Those reports were accurate--Reloaded Productions, a subsidiary of GamersFirst (which is a part of K2) confirmed the purchase a week or so later with a press release.

In the very same release, Reloaded Productions said it was turning APB into a free-to-play MMO that would be supported by micro-transactions. It also revealed plans to re-release APB as APB: Reloaded in Q1 2011, which happens to be, well, right about now. Got all that? Great! 

Today's news is that the re-release appears to be on track for release. A closed beta for the new APB is scheduled to begin as early as "late February," according to the official APB Reloaded Twitter feed, which has yet to release any meaningful details about who can get in. More information, though, is slated to come next week, no doubt via email as well as other means. 

Reloaded will, at the least, make APB a more cohesive experience. As Joystiq notes in its article about this forthcoming beta, there are plans to open up all of APB's zones to everyone, as well as, obviously, a plan to institute the usual free-to-play trimmings across the board--not just in starting zones or whatever. It almost goes without saying, but it'll be interesting to see how APB does the second time around. Surely, most of the jank and kinks have been worked out by now, right? 

Right?
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Just so we're on the same page, here's a quick recap of the more recent developments involving the soon-to-be revived MMO APB.

In November, reports snuck out that K2 Network, an organization that specializes in supporting and bringing Asian MMOs to other markets, purchased the rights to APB after the game went up for sale. Those reports were accurate--Reloaded Productions, a subsidiary of GamersFirst (which is a part of K2) confirmed the purchase a week or so later with a press release.

In the very same release, Reloaded Productions said it was turning APB into a free-to-play MMO that would be supported by micro-transactions. It also revealed plans to re-release APB as APB: Reloaded in Q1 2011, which happens to be, well, right about now. Got all that? Great! 

Today's news is that the re-release appears to be on track for release. A closed beta for the new APB is scheduled to begin as early as "late February," according to the official APB Reloaded Twitter feed, which has yet to release any meaningful details about who can get in. More information, though, is slated to come next week, no doubt via email as well as other means. 

Reloaded will, at the least, make APB a more cohesive experience. As Joystiq notes in its article about this forthcoming beta, there are plans to open up all of APB's zones to everyone, as well as, obviously, a plan to institute the usual free-to-play trimmings across the board--not just in starting zones or whatever. It almost goes without saying, but it'll be interesting to see how APB does the second time around. Surely, most of the jank and kinks have been worked out by now, right? 

Right?
#2 Posted by Jackhole (383 posts) -

I liked APB...

#3 Posted by HumanityPlague (251 posts) -

This sounds like that Hellgate: London relaunch they tried back a few years ago.

#5 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4665 posts) -

YES

EDIT: damn...didn't get first. In any case, glad this is going f2p because that's what it needs to do. Not happy its K2N that's in charge. They're f2p games are unbalanced as can be. In SotNW, they might as well change the cash shop name to "buy all this crap and win"

#6 Posted by Simulacrum (462 posts) -

Aha is this my chance!?

#7 Posted by Winsord (1256 posts) -

I realize I was one of like the ten people who somewhat enjoyed APB, so I hope they let people who purchased the original into the private beta.

#8 Posted by adoggz (2070 posts) -

hoping for a new quicklook.

#9 Posted by TehJedicake (896 posts) -

I didn't play this game much, but when I played it, I honestly didn't think it was that bad, I know I'm one of the few, but seriously, when it was being shutdown last year I was really surprised. Now that I have a better computer, I'm gonna try to get into that beta and play some!

#10 Posted by Sweep (8928 posts) -

So what does this mean for those of us who already own APB? 

And what does this mean for those of us who cashed in their redundant copy of APB for a replacement £30 game from the EA store? Do we win twice

Or do we fail twice? 

I'm confused :S

#11 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -
@Sweep said:
" So what does this mean for those of us who already own APB? 

And what does this mean for those of us who cashed in their redundant copy of APB for a replacement £30 game from the EA store? Do we win twice

Or do we fail twice?  I'm confused :S "
Probably fail, but hopefully win.
#12 Edited by SomeJerk (3319 posts) -
@Sweep said:

" So what does this mean for those of us who already own APB? 

Or do we fail twice?  I'm confused :S "

You apparently could have been refunded, or should.. sketchy words from EA.

Difference this time is that it's not going to be from a company destined to die from upper management corruption "let's drink away all those millions" but rather one that spends a little money making a lot of money. The APB RMT worked better than I expected, if I could have sold the APB points I made by selling in-game music I would have made enough for five more boxes of APB.

Just remains to be seen what the ping is like and if they're doing anything to make it more oriented to whatev Asian market they primarily work in. I want proper ricing of cars, with coloured neon lights, dangit.

Me fooling around with a rocket launcher & shiz in APBs first retail month: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxsyeWOxz0k cut together to make a "remembering APB video". It got a fair bit more exciting than the quicklook here showed, having people to play & do voicecomms with steadily made it a fun experience.
#13 Posted by Marz (5659 posts) -

free2play is probably the best thing they could do for this relaunch.

#14 Posted by MisterSamMan (365 posts) -

Sweet, can't wait for the next game APB: Revolutions!!

#15 Posted by Sammo21 (3377 posts) -

Each copy comes with a clothespin to help in taking this crap in.

#16 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Maybe they are hoping they'll get some players who want to experience what made one of the worst MMO disasters of all time so bad. Like playing APB has become a rare collector's item.

#17 Posted by Daiphyer (1341 posts) -

Great, now I can play it, too!!

#18 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

So they're going the "you can't complain about complete shit when its free" angle.

#19 Posted by Ali_D (143 posts) -

I'm not really interested in playing the game, but the character creation stuff looked amazing. I hope they license that stuff out.

#20 Posted by LtDestroyer (17 posts) -

Better missions & balancing and sign me up.

#21 Posted by CountYourBlessings (169 posts) -

I CAN NOT WAIT :D

#22 Posted by FritzDude (2269 posts) -

"Reloaded"? Why not "unleashed"? or "Nemesis"? or how about "APB: The next generation"? The possibilities are endless.

#23 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

I'll look into it while waiting for Guilds War 2. Can't really say no to F2P; especially since its not a traditional RPG where they are normally are a grindfest. 

Good to know that APB will be back though, more unique IPs (at least theme wise) is a welcome. Hopefully the second rerun will do well.

#24 Edited by TheChaos (1158 posts) -
@Simulacrum said:

" Aha is this my chance!? "

I sure hope so. I really wanted to play around with that character creator.
#25 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -

I dont get why they dont just put a roundbased counterstrike system in there with ACCURATE shooting and temporary gold you buy weapons each round for til the match ends.   Put long-time gold earnings into customization of looks.

#26 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

gonna check this out this time.

#27 Edited by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

never played it, and probably wont.  But very cool that they are releasing it as F2P.   very cool, props to the company who bought it.

#28 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

If it's like most Korean games, then "Free 2 Play" means "If you don't give us money, you won't be competitive in multiplayer, but we'll still use the (it's free!) excuse for when it turns out our game is broken and clunky." 

Still, APB is back.  So.   

Someone must be excited.

#29 Posted by ZeekDaGeek (261 posts) -

I'm excited, I actually loved this game and put a lot of hours into it.

#30 Posted by crusader8463 (14425 posts) -

If they improve the games performance so that I can actually run it at something other then 800x600 with everything turned off and still have it only be 10 FPS I will give it another look over.

#31 Posted by MaddProdigy (1041 posts) -

Facebook port

#32 Posted by dvorak (1497 posts) -
@ZeekDaGeek said:
" I'm excited, I actually loved this game and put a lot of hours into it. "
I agree, there was something about the 3-4 player group co-op in APB I really loved.
#33 Posted by 1337W422102 (1015 posts) -
@Samthorian said:
" Sweet, can't wait for the next game APB: Revolutions!! "
Damn, you beat me to it!
#34 Edited by President_Barackbar (3467 posts) -
@Samthorian said:

" Sweet, can't wait for the next game APB: Revolutions!! "

Should at least be better than the AnimAPB
#35 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" So they're going the "you can't complain about complete shit when its free" angle. "
As much as I dislike Ryanwho for constantly being a cynic., he's right.
#36 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
" If they improve the games performance so that I can actually run it at something other then 800x600 with everything turned off and still have it only be 10 FPS I will give it another look over. "
Serves you right for having a GeForce 2.
#37 Posted by crusader8463 (14425 posts) -
@ShaunassNZ said:
" @crusader8463 said:
" If they improve the games performance so that I can actually run it at something other then 800x600 with everything turned off and still have it only be 10 FPS I will give it another look over. "
Serves you right for having a GeForce 2. "
But I have 2 8800 Ultras.....
#38 Posted by Vangelus (16 posts) -

I hope it goes better the second time around.

#39 Posted by Rapid (1382 posts) -

Do you think Jeff is going to do a second quicklook?

#40 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11934 posts) -

Yeah. It's probably still going to be terrible.

#41 Posted by DougQuaid (1275 posts) -
@Rapid said:
" Do you think Jeff is going to do a second quicklook? "
God I hope so..
#42 Posted by WholeFunShow (360 posts) -

Free? Sure, why not?

#43 Posted by ofcbilly77 (61 posts) -

can't believe they're still trying

#44 Posted by Xeiphyer (5606 posts) -

Hopefully they can figure out how to make the actual gameplay fun this time around. That game had a lot of potential.

#45 Posted by Landon (4155 posts) -

This is still a thing?

#46 Edited by Eribuster (500 posts) -

I think this is great news and it is looking like others here think so too. This is the game's second chance and I think it deserves it. Also, having such a high production value free-to-play (I think no purchase necessary would be a slightly better fit) ought to shake things up a bit in the world of freemium shooters. 

@Meowshi said: 

" If it's like most Korean games, then "Free 2 Play" means "If you don't give us money, you won't be competitive in multiplayer, but we'll still use the (it's free!) excuse for when it turns out our game is broken and clunky."  Still, APB is back.  So.    Someone must be excited. "

From the game's I've experienced, Cash Shop items are just a shortcut. Then again, the grinding to match cash shop items is usually horrible. Lately, I think Korean free-to-play online games that make it to the US and Europe are getting very good in how  they handle cash shop items. These days, I feel that most cash shop times are grinding shortcuts and cosmetic items. Of course, there are bad online games where you can buy your way to competitive multiplayer victory.
#47 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Despite the fact that I will probably never play it, I'm still rooting for its success.  Just seems like a cool concept.

#48 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I don't see how they could fuck it up anymore, there are only room for improvements.

#49 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" So they're going the "you can't complain about complete shit when its free" angle. "
Like that has ever stopped internet bitching
#50 Posted by detectivepbert (262 posts) -

does anyone still play gta iv online?   that seems better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.