Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Apotheon

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 03, 2015

A 2D action game with RPG elements, set in the world of Greek mythology.

Go! Go! GOTY! '15 ~Day Twenty~ (Apotheon)

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

Edited By Mento  Moderator

Day Twenty

No Caption Provided
    • Game: Apotheon (Alientrap).
    • Release Month: February.
    • Source: The Steam Explorer Sale.
    • Quick Look: Here. (Drew/Brad)
    • Started: 15/12.

I'll level with you, folks: I've been entertaining family these past three days of ostensible (that word again!) Apotheon playthroughs, so I haven't been giving the game the attention it deserves. The past two blogs have painted a fractured picture of a game with big ideas but hit-and-miss execution, and I stand by that as I leave Nikandreos pacing outside the gates to the Mt. Olympus Acropolis wherein lies the second half of the game.

Apotheon is perhaps not a game that requires three comprehensive breakdowns. It's not that it lacks depth or complexity, simply that it is built in a commonly utilized 2D SpaceWhipper mold of Indie game development, using the mythology of one of the most ubiquitous polytheistic religions and thus it'll very much be a case of "what you see on the box is what you get" for most of you. It does well by the source material: as well as the game's incredible art and soundtrack, it stays true to the capricious personalities of the supercilious Greek Gods and is filled with incidental lore and the many creatures borne from tall tales told in the symposia and forums of the era. It's just, you know, Ancient Greece. It's a thing we're familiar with. We know all the beats, at least as much as we would for the conventional Tolkien pseudo-medieval fantasy universe or any similarly well-worn setting. Plus points for the game's source fidelity, but it doesn't contain a whole lot of surprises.

Well someone's angry. And naked. Put some damn pants on, Zeus. No-one wants to see your lightning bolt.
    Well someone's angry. And naked. Put some damn pants on, Zeus. No-one wants to see your lightning bolt.

The combat still hasn't clicked for me, but I suspect it's because my system is having real problems maintaining anything close to a stable framerate. Surprising, because even with my untrained eye I pegged the game as one that opted for a distinctive art style over a state of the art one that would be a hog on resources. I'm not sure why the framerate drops to the single digits so often - especially in Hades, for some reason - but I might need to mess with shader and dynamic lighting settings until it flows at a normal pace again. I might have kinder sentiments to say about its frantic fights after that.

I should talk about the game's boss fights, because they've all been every bit as varied as the game's "dungeons": I've fought five bosses of any note, and they all went a little differently. This will include some detailed analysis for the boss encounters in the first half of the game, so I'll stick the following list behind a spoiler block:

• Ophion: Ophion is the leader of the opportunistic raiders that come to sack the hero's hometown of Dion once it's clear it no longer has the protection of the Gods. I think a lot of Ancient Greek fearmongering is sort of built around this idea that they're the sole beacon of civilization in their particular era, and were it not for the providence of the Gods (read: education and technology), the ever-present threat of barbarian invasions from every direction would become a terrifying reality. Ophion is a human opponent, so he fights like you do: a mixture of shield blocking, timing swings so they connect as the two of you get close and dodge-rolling to avoid blows his shield wouldn't stop. It's essentially training you how to fight for real, employing strategy and guile against a wily AI opponent, after a few weak underlings that you could feasibly mash through with minimal tactical consideration.

The next four bosses occur in any order, given Apotheon's branching structure. You need to recover gifts of the Gods from Apollo, Artemis and Demeter before the game moves onto its second act, and you're free to tackle them in any order.

• Ophion: Ophion reappears, perhaps not surprisingly, as the de facto "boss" of the Underworld area. He guards the throne room of the kingdom's namesake Hades and his wife Persephone, who actually don't give you any shit and just let you go on your way with the valuable artifact you need to claim Demeter's gift. Ophion fights similarly as before, but is far more weighted towards offense than defense. I guess the notion here is that, when you're already dead, what have you left to fear?
    • Brontes: Brontes is a far more tactical fight than any of the others, even if it simply requires that you hit him in his cycloptic eye. He's also a lot taller than you are, reminding me a little of the Galamoth fight from Symphony of the Night and the Castlevania franchise's other similar battles against 15 foot titans, so you need to aim up with a ranged weapon to have any chance of hitting the only weak spot on his entire body. This is all while you're dodging the immense arc of his club weapon and finding a temporarily safe place to plant yourself before aiming and firing again. It boils down to a lot of precision under pressure and dodging like crazy when he gets close.
    • Apollo: Apollo is even more churlish and haughty than most of the Gods you meet in Apotheon, and doesn't want to give up his enchanted lyre to the uncivilized monkey that has invaded his palace, despite the fact that he threw us into his own dungeon in the first place. His battle involves chasing him down as he flies around his stoa at great speed while firing arrows at you. It's an irksome battle, because he also turns the lights off and you're often only able to gauge his location from determining where the painful arrows are coming from. He also moves so fast that the trajectory of the most recent arrow is no reliable indicator to his present position, though he doesn't move so much if he already has a fair distance on you. I didn't think to try it, but it might be easier to just swap ranged damage with him in a battle of attrition weighted in the favor of the guy with health recovery items. Believe me, nothing would be too cheap for that conceited minstrel.
    • Artemis: Artemis's fight has a bit more of a puzzle element to it. After impressing her enough in her hunting grounds, she turns the player into a stag so that she might finally bag a trophy worthy of her skills. She turns it into a fair sport, however: if the player can make it to several totems before dying to Artemis's arrows, she will then transform you back and herself into a doe and combat repeats with the roles reversed. By filling her rapidly-moving deer form with arrows and dodging the same when it's your turn as the ungrateful ungulate, it becomes a curiously metamorphic game of tag. It's a fascinating method of crafting a boss fight against the Goddess of the Hunt, and I commend its inventiveness. It makes me excited to see what follows, even if the game continues to grate in other ways.
    I guess you really can't go home again, especially when some godly jerks conspire to blow it up.
    I guess you really can't go home again, especially when some godly jerks conspire to blow it up.

I still enjoy Apotheon's ingenuity with some aspects of its design, and I think it goes a long way towards exonerating the parts of the game I don't care for so much - weapon durability being the top of that list. I've not changed my mind on the game after these three days of playing it: I think there's a lot to appreciate here, from the fancy mural art and thematic music to some of the more behind-the-scenes core design, but only if you're willing to look past its flaws - combat, fragile equipment, inventory management and occasional technical issues.

< Back to the Go! Go! GOTY 2015 Contents Page

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.