Do we see an AC next year?

#1 Posted by Shaka999 (447 posts) -

So with Ubisoft apparently closing Ezio's story, what do you guys think the chances are that we get another AC game next year?

Unfortunately I haven't played through the game yet so from a story perspective I don't know what will happen, but if Ubisoft is to be believed, don't you think that the next logical AC game would be the 3rd one?

Assuming that is the case, I would think that Ubi would take a year off and build on the game so by the time the 3rd comes around, it doesn't feel like a "2.5" (sorry) that Brotherhood & Revelations kind of are. Throw in the Xbox 720 rumors floating around, maybe it'll be a launch title for the system. Of course, from a business perspective, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to crank out another one, maybe even a spin-off of sorts.

What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10383 posts) -

Haven't played Rev, but Ubisoft has said there will be another game next year.

So yes.

Online
#3 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Almost positive Ubisoft already confirmed another AC game next year.

#4 Posted by themangalist (1716 posts) -

I think they already announced that there WILL be an AC next year. Probably AC3, as the team which worked on 2 apparently went immediately to make 3 while another made brotherhood and revelations.

#5 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

yes i believe they said as much

#6 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

There is some doomsday shit happening within the game's fiction on some date in late 2012. I don't remember it offhand, but it is specified in Brotherhood. There is no way they don't launch on that day.

#7 Posted by Shaka999 (447 posts) -

@Slaker117 said:

There is some doomsday shit happening within the game's fiction on some date in late 2012. I don't remember it offhand, but it is specified in Brotherhood. There is no way they don't launch on that day.

Completely forgot about that and didn't think of it. When did they confirm that another game was going to be confirmed this year?

@themangalist said:

I think they already announced that there WILL be an AC next year. Probably AC3, as the team which worked on 2 apparently went immediately to make 3 while another made brotherhood and revelations.

Didn't realize this either, but hearing that the team that made two went immediately on to make 3 is good, I was (stupidly) under the impression that the same team that did 2 worked on Brotherhood/Revelations. On top of that, only one year to make the "3rd" game would've been a bad thing but I guess I don't need to worry about that.

#8 Posted by LiquidPrince (15836 posts) -

We will for sure. Assassin's Creed 3.

#9 Posted by Waffles13 (606 posts) -
#10 Posted by dcgc (878 posts) -

Yes, they'll have to release it before 21/12/2012. You know, because releasing it after wouldn't make a ton of sense...

#11 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

What else do Ubisoft have at this point really? It's their one big franchise, which is why they keep ditching plans for the series ("This will definitely be the last Ezio game! We really mean it this time!") and instead try to squeeze every last drop of cash out of it while they still can.  They're probably going to kill the franchise, but I wonder if they really have a lot of choice financially.
 
The setup for AC (which is basically genius in terms of game franchise opportunity) should allow for the franchise to feel fresh every time a new game comes out, and each one should be able to work as a stand-alone title that anybody can pick up and enjoy without playing the previous games, but they've been kinda ignoring that potential so far.  I don't think they can keep ignoring it.

#12 Posted by ares0926 (24 posts) -

Ubi has confirmed this is the End of the Ezio trilogy but the Desmond story will rap up in AC3 next year. It will likely be modern day. If I had to guess though, I'd bet their will be some Ezio (and even Altair) playable parts. Those 2 characters have define the game series and to completely exclude them would be nuts. So Desmond will be the focus (as he should have been from the beginning--he was almost an afterthought in AC2) and it will be a mix of modern day and either flashbacks to animus sessions or something.

As for the future, I know there will be an AC4 although no one is sure what that story will be about. A new protagonist would be my guess. Desmond wont kill all the Templars. Perhaps instead of using Europe maybe an Asian influence. (Ninja/Assassin, same thing really). They may take the two year break after AC3 to rest and reload the series.

#13 Edited by plaintomato (598 posts) -

Hard to care. I loved ACII...and haven't done more than tried the sequels because ACII just had soooo much great content that it saturated me and the rest has just felt like more of the same. They Guitar Hero'd the AC franchise with too much too same too often.

#14 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@plaintomato said:

Hard to care. I loved ACII...and haven't done more than tried the sequels because ACII just had soooo much great content that it saturated me and the rest has just felt like more of the same. They Guitar Hero'd the AC franchise with too much too same too often.

Bbrotherhood is a great game that added a ton of new stuff along with a meaningful story. Revelations is light in advancing the story forward but still fun to go around assassinate and do everything in the city.. These games are still great and do not feel tired.

#15 Posted by Village_Guy (2484 posts) -

@Dany said:

@plaintomato said:

Hard to care. I loved ACII...and haven't done more than tried the sequels because ACII just had soooo much great content that it saturated me and the rest has just felt like more of the same. They Guitar Hero'd the AC franchise with too much too same too often.

Bbrotherhood is a great game that added a ton of new stuff along with a meaningful story. Revelations is light in advancing the story forward but still fun to go around assassinate and do everything in the city.. These games are still great and do not feel tired.

I have to disagree with you I'm afraid, Revelations was just more of the same and I didn't really enjoy myself all that much, hopefully they make some advancements in the next game which we will see in 2012.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.