Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed

Franchise »

The Assassin's Creed franchise follows the never-ending, secret war between the Assassin Brotherhood and the Templar Order, in various historical settings, told from the perspective of the modern day.

There will be no new core Assassins Creed game in 2016

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Thank god.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's great news. I enjoyed Black Flag quite a bit but I didn't feel particularly drawn to Unity or Syndicate.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That's good news. The series needs a serious overhaul.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

That is really exciting, make the next Assassin's Creed something that actually advances the strength of the franchise and gives a new experience rather then the Call of Duty path of rinse and repeat.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watch_dogs_2. 2016.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By militantfreudian

I personally lost interest in the series after AC3, but now I'm very interested to see how -- and if -- they evolve the core gameplay pillars. I'm really hoping they do a reset in terms of story.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With all the latest ACs having the "rushed" trait it makes sense to allow for more time, Still with one million people developing these games and managing to release two full size ACs some odd years i dont really feel that was ever the problem. What they need is some focus and passion on one project and at least one creative soul reigning it all in. What they have now is an machine spitting out games after a set template and businessmodel with the current hot gamingtrends shoehorned in as fast as possible.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About time. I just hope Far Cry is not going to be a annual release.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#11 gamer_152  Moderator

I wonder how much they were making on the yearly instalments in the end. A lot of people seemed to like the last one, but I've felt totally swamped by Assassin's Creed games for a while.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Viking assassins.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone will forget AC ever existed by then.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't been interested in AC for a long time now but with these rumors likely being true with this conformation and the movie actually looked great I'm pretty hyped.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Finally, reason prevails.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good. Needs a year off, I think! Even if Syndicate was the best game in the series in a long time.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

Good. Needs a year off, I think! Even if Syndicate was the best game in the series in a long time.

The stuff that leaked a while back also sounded pretty promising.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone will forget AC ever existed by then.

With 2 games already out this year, some mobile thing coming, rumours of some kind of collection and a movie in December I'd say that is very unlikely.

They are taking the time to re-examine the core franchise.

There has been an Assassins Creed released every year since the series debuted in 2007, with core games releasing every year except in 2008.

That's a long winded way to say "Assassins Creed has been released annually since 2009".

I'm really curious to see what they come up with in the year off as I'm sure it'll be the template for everything Ubisoft puts out in the next decade.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#20  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I'm looking forward to them getting rid of tailing missions but fixing none of the other serious structural problems with that series.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Wasn't this known for a good time already? I guess this is the official confirmation of news we already heard.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BisonHero

It's interesting that they probably made this call around the time that Unity was a launch disaster and got slammed by critics, but the Syndicate train was already halfway to the station so they just had to finish that one out before actually saying "Yeah we're taking some time off" but in an ironic twist of fate, Syndicate was a return to form that undid a lot of the harm that Unity had done.

Though yeah, overall they need to figure out what the fuck that series is, because it has really been coasting since AC3 wrapped up the modern day storyline, and I feel like they haven't done anything crazy with the actual gameplay since AC3's/Black Flag's ship combat.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Yes! Take a year, or even two off Ubisoft. Allow us to catch our breath.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Allahouakhbar! Praise be! In Jesus' name! Holy moly macaroni!

I love so much about the AC formula but man it needs a real refresh. And less icons on the map. Please.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#25 riostarwind  Moderator

I'm not sure if a year or two will be enough time for a big refresh. But if they do come back with something impressive I'll be glad to play another Assassin's Creed game.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed Syndicate, but yeah, it's probably a good idea to take a break.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShadyPingu

Good. Seems like the best chance we have of the series being really remarkable again. I suppose this also means next year will bring us the Watch Dogs sequel, since there's no way Ubi would let AC lie fallow for a year unless they had something analogous to fill that release slot for holiday 2016.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By kerse

Good. Maybe they can get me back, but I don't know they really really lost me at 3. Actually ubisoft lost me in general around there. Even call of duty interests me more at this point than ubisofts weird homogeneous style of game making.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Syndicate was a very good game and made more significant improvements than most big franchise sequels can claim, regardless of how often they release a title. The 'AC needs a break' thing is a popular narrative, but I strongly suspect if Syndicate had just been sat on for a year and then released people would have been falling over themselves to say how much the extra year really paid off. It absolutely did not feel like an annual release game.

Calling it right now: the next game will come out and it won't be obvious at all whether it had an extra year or not. Of course, if they had their shit together they'd be releasing Pirates! Creed this year and everyone would be maximum hype for it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Syndicate is a phenomenally okay Assassin's Creed game that does Assassin's Creed things.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

Did you not like Black Flag? I liked Syndicate well enough, but I personally think Black Flag was still better. That said, I'm partial to sea shanties.

---

Syndicate was decent, but man did I want to be done with that game 10 hours before it actually ended.

It's funny how we all criticized Mafia 2 for having an open world with nothing to do except the main missions, but now that seemingly every action game is an open world game with hundreds of collectibles and many dozens of rote, repetitive tasks - I wish they were more like Mafia 2!

I just finished Mad Max and I think I would have liked that game much more if there were actually less to do in it. It would have made a great 10-20 hour game; it's a mind numbing 40-60 hour game.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it fine; just never finished it because it started burning the UI into my plasma television.

@sweetz said:
    @rorie said:

Did you not like Black Flag? I liked Syndicate well enough, but I personally think Black Flag was still better. That said, I'm partial to sea shanties.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

As much as I enjoyed Syndicate this series definitely needed a break. I'm curious if the next rumoured Egypt game is the next big step in the engine tech or just a new setting. Because the AC series has had a pattern of the first game on their new engine being pretty rough (AC, AC3, AC Unity). So if the next game is a bunch of new tech taking an extra year to increase the quality level is probably a good idea as it seems like consumers are less accepting of major issues as the series ages.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.