Batman: Arkham Asylum 2 Now Officially Batman: Arkham City

• 181 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Batman: Arkham City is the name of Rocksteady Studios' follow-up to Batman: Arkham Asylum, according to Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment.

Weeks ago, WBIE registered fifteen unique Batman-related URLs, fueling speculation that one of them was the official name of Batman: Arkham Asylum's sequel. One of the domains was indeed the name of the new Batman title. It was the second one down in a list  that included contenders such as "Ashes of Gotham, "Batman Grand Delusion," and "People for Gotham." 

In a press release this afternoon, WBIE expanded upon our knowledge of the next title, confirming that it is set within Gotham City's walled district, Arkham City, a maximum-security cage for Gotham's various evildoers and maniacs. The game will also feature a new narrative, a "vast range of new and enhanced" features, and a tweaked version of the X-ray vision mode that we all abused in the original.  In contrast, the above Game Informer cover tells us to prepare for some Catwoman action, and maybe even a bit of blood.

== TEASER ==Placing the game within another urban construct focuses the scope yet again, and as a result, should keep the title's mechanics in line with its predecessor. As Batman, you'll presumably be a predator, a tactical machine that attacks--not hides--in the gloom. If you care to check out the critically acclaimed original, you'll know why that concept is such a big deal. In a word, it was empowering.

No other details were given other than we can expect to see the game on the Xbox 360, PC, and PS3 at some point Fall 2011. 
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Batman: Arkham City is the name of Rocksteady Studios' follow-up to Batman: Arkham Asylum, according to Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment.

Weeks ago, WBIE registered fifteen unique Batman-related URLs, fueling speculation that one of them was the official name of Batman: Arkham Asylum's sequel. One of the domains was indeed the name of the new Batman title. It was the second one down in a list  that included contenders such as "Ashes of Gotham, "Batman Grand Delusion," and "People for Gotham." 

In a press release this afternoon, WBIE expanded upon our knowledge of the next title, confirming that it is set within Gotham City's walled district, Arkham City, a maximum-security cage for Gotham's various evildoers and maniacs. The game will also feature a new narrative, a "vast range of new and enhanced" features, and a tweaked version of the X-ray vision mode that we all abused in the original.  In contrast, the above Game Informer cover tells us to prepare for some Catwoman action, and maybe even a bit of blood.

== TEASER ==Placing the game within another urban construct focuses the scope yet again, and as a result, should keep the title's mechanics in line with its predecessor. As Batman, you'll presumably be a predator, a tactical machine that attacks--not hides--in the gloom. If you care to check out the critically acclaimed original, you'll know why that concept is such a big deal. In a word, it was empowering.

No other details were given other than we can expect to see the game on the Xbox 360, PC, and PS3 at some point Fall 2011. 
#2 Posted by The_Bowman_007 (35 posts) -

duder

#3 Posted by AmmyDog (61 posts) -

This is the best news of the day!!!
#4 Posted by VoshiNova (1633 posts) -

Excited

#5 Posted by grhud5194 (166 posts) -

The covers look pretty awesome, and also, I hope the blood means they are going for an M rating.
#6 Posted by Kowalczyk (139 posts) -

Even though its just a magazine cover, looks awesome and has me psyched.

#7 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (945 posts) -

I hope BatmanBatmanBatman is at least included as a DLC code.

#8 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

SHES SO HOT. 
Think they'll get Halle Berry to voice it? 

#9 Posted by CitizenKane (10501 posts) -

Nice.  I loved Arkham Asylum.

#10 Posted by Vextroid (1354 posts) -

I prefer Ashes Of Gotham or BatmanBatmanBatman. 

Freaking loved the first game, So excited for this one.

#11 Posted by JarenFace (205 posts) -

This is my favourite cover of the two that have been shown. Totally would have a wall paper version.

...which wouldn't be hard to turn into actually.

#12 Posted by Allprox (534 posts) -

Arkham Avenue would have been better than the stupid name they're calling it. They obviously should have just called it Gotham City but I think those suits in marketing are worrying that people aren't going to recognise it just because Arkham isn't the title.

#13 Posted by yevinorion (690 posts) -

Absolutely cannot wait. I was hoping for more of a free roam Gotham City, but I'm sure it'll still be awesome.

#14 Posted by Evilmunkeypoo (6 posts) -

I was hoping for BatmanBatmanBatman.

#15 Posted by MutenMiller (215 posts) -

So excited! Loved the last game so much, can't wait! Aaggghhh!

#16 Posted by Wortdog (34 posts) -

Definitely getting this game.

#17 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

That's kinda silly, they move the story into Gotham, except it's a walled off prison section.

It'll be a new place, but it's almost like it's just a different island. Who knows!

Still super jizzed about the game, can't wait!

#18 Posted by Rapid (1339 posts) -

That's a nice looking cover I must admit.

#19 Posted by Zimbo (875 posts) -

I can't wait. Loved the first.

#20 Posted by radioactivez0r (826 posts) -

I don't want to wait a year for this :[  Loooooooooooved Batman: AA.

#21 Posted by TECHSev (8 posts) -

I really should play the first one...

#22 Posted by MediumDave (88 posts) -

I like the "whiteness" of the cover.  I think bringing some of that color scheme, the  white/red, into the game could be cool.  Kinda...crappy name.

#23 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5371 posts) -

That is an awesome cover.

#24 Posted by yyZiggurat (1012 posts) -

I still want Batman Batman Batman, dammit.

#25 Posted by pepper (304 posts) -

Arkham City is a shitty name.

#26 Posted by StriderNo9 (1077 posts) -

The name is meh, but I am sure they will do it right. 

#27 Posted by coreykrosting (20 posts) -

Arkham City, there ain't no city called Arkham.

#28 Posted by GeneralTurkle (335 posts) -

It's probably called arkham city because the asylum is one big city in itself...

#29 Posted by CowboyBebopper (170 posts) -

As long as they don't use Batman AA 2: Arkham City. I dislike numerical sequels. I'm pretty excited for some Catwoman action.

#30 Posted by enemymouse (329 posts) -

crisis averted

#31 Posted by Gredlen (13 posts) -

But the real question is: how many gargoyles are in Arkham City?

#32 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@AmmyDog said:
" This is the best news of the day!!! "
agreed
#33 Posted by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

Glad to see they're not rushing it out. I was really worried when it was first announced that it'd be coming out this year and be an exact clone of the original.

#34 Edited by Zimbo (875 posts) -
@Gredlen said:
" But the real question is: how many gargoyles are in Arkham City? "
Millions...as far as the eye can see.
@ThePandrake said:

" Arkham City, there ain't no city called Arkham. "

I think they are trying to make it out as if the inmates of Arkham have taken over a portion of Gotham city and renamed it.
#35 Posted by Conformunist (105 posts) -
@HomemadeZiggurat said:
" I still want Batman Batman Batman, dammit. "
You and me both, brother...
#36 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Catwoman... mur, mur...

#37 Posted by dastly75 (112 posts) -

twas hoping for Batman: Ocarina of Time...

#38 Posted by EthanML (451 posts) -

Wow, typos galore here =/

#39 Posted by forheiszombie (5 posts) -

YES. I want playable catwoman in the game!

#40 Posted by Ricky_Rico (6 posts) -

I'm excited for this one.

#41 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2451 posts) -
@ThePandrake said:
" Arkham City, there ain't no city called Arkham. "
It's a head-scratcher for sure. I doubt "Arkham City" is part of the established canon. I guess we'll see some pretty shifty retconning.
#42 Posted by Gamonman (7 posts) -

Batman: Batman Batman

#43 Posted by Artemis_D (817 posts) -

What does it all mean!?

#44 Posted by seaNzie1 (5 posts) -

Can.Not.Wait.

#45 Posted by sizu (391 posts) -

Not convinced about including the Arkham tag.  This must be a pure marketing decision to keep some form of connection to the original to help the uneducated casual mass out there. 

#46 Posted by xxizzypop (577 posts) -

I still think Ashes of Gotham would've been great, but oh well.

#47 Posted by Espio25 (31 posts) -

Batman, Batman, Batman: Arkham City was a better choice :(

#48 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

I'm not a fan of the name as I prefered Ashes of Gotham, but it should be a good game regardless of that. 

#49 Posted by ajamafalous (11809 posts) -

"In a press release this afternoon"

Wasn't the press release this morning?

#50 Posted by G0rd0nFr33m4n (762 posts) -

Catwoman.... nice ;D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.