Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham City

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 18, 2011

When Gotham City's slums have been transformed into a secluded super-prison, it's up to Batman to uncover its conspiracy in the sequel to 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Interface things you wish you knew when you started playing

RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By RJMacReady

I've gone through over 10 % of the game and am still learning things that i actually had access to from the beginning of the game.

1 i didn't know i could run and jump kick or jump punch, though i did know about the slide.

2 i didn't know i could gears of war corner fire a batarang, this works really well at disarming approaching alerted gunmen from a covered position.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

I know what you mean. My one criticism of this game is that it doesnt explain things very well. Took me a few hour before I realise how to equip different gadgets!!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Ninja_Welshman said:
    I know what you mean. My one criticism of this game is that it doesnt explain things very well. Took me a few hour before I realise how to equip different gadgets!!
    Im pretty sure it does teach you that....
    RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RJMacReady

********************SPOILERS AHEAD********************

@The_Laughing_Man: I think teh problem is the initial pacing. When you first start playing your overwhelmed with information and people can miss important things. I never did play the first game "Asylum" but watched an lets play.

Anyway, as i've continuted to play the interface pacing has slowed and i feel more comfortable with it. Initially the game is hectic.

********************FINALSPOILER WARNING********************

Also i was watching a LP of a person fighting the 3rd or 4th particularly physically intimidating boss and he didn't even know about the quick gadgets. Holding LT and hitting X to lay foam or Y to fire the claw. So this guy was actually slowly applying the foam to the to necessary components.

Clearly people are not integrating all the information to take full advantage of this game.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bestostero

I wished there was a mini map. is there a function for that that i dont know of...? lol

RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RJMacReady

@xhavoc86: Not to my knowledge. I seriously doubt it.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @RJMacReady said:

@The_Laughing_Man: I think teh problem is the initial pacing. When you first start playing your overwhelmed with information and people can miss important things. I never did play the first game "Asylum" but watched an lets play.

Anyway, as i've continuted to play the interface pacing has slowed and i feel more comfortable with it. Initially the game is hectic.

Also i was watching a LP of a person fighting the 3rd or 4th particularly physically intimidating boss and he didn't even know about the quick gadgets. Holding LT and hitting X to lay foam or Y to fire the claw. So this guy was actually slowly applying the foam to the to necessary components.

Clearly people are not integrating all the information to take full advantage of this game.

We have a spoiler tag thing. Switch to Parchment v1  

I had no issue going into the game. Maybe its because Im used to it. 
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ares42
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @Ninja_Welshman said:
    Im pretty sure it does teach you that....
    I'm not sure it actually does.. or at least it does it very late. I distinctly remember trying to figure out how to actually pick gadgets (as I thought it would pick on release at first). The tutorializing is really sad though, I'm at 80% story progression and there's still things I am unsure how works or just straight up have no clue about.
    TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheHumanDove

I almost beat the game before I learned how to punch. After that things ran a lot smoother

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The one thing i figured out really embarrassingly late was that if you hold down R1 instead of just tap it you can hang from the ledges you grapple instead of automatically vaulting over them.

popmasterruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By popmasterruler

It took me awhile to figure out how to detonate a quickfire explosive gel,the description only said how to lay them not detonate.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

You can zoom in to a specific explosive gel to detonate it alone rather than setting off all three.

This is required for some of the Riddler challenges but I never saw the game explain it anywhere.

RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RJMacReady

@SecondPersonShooter: Do you mean if you are standing on the edge of a ledge of a building and you hold RT and then press A you will drop down and hang off the edge becoming more difficult to see and putting you into a position to do a Y ledge takedown if somebody comes near?

Otherwise i'm not sure what you mean, this might be somethign new i missed.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@RJMacReady said:

They explain how to do those quick fires at the bottom of the screen for situations where he can use it. The game doesn't stop to tell you it puts you in the fight and hangs on the screen telling you what to do.

CrazedMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CrazedMaverick

@SecondPersonShooter: damn. i finished the entire story and all of the riddler trophies/riddles and could never figure out how to differentiate between the too.

thered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thered

@xhavoc86 said:

I wished there was a mini map. is there a function for that that i dont know of...?

Yes I wish there was a mini map that could be turned on and off on the top left corner

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By briangodsoe

@RJMacReady said:

Part of the problem with stuff like this is that it assumes you've played Arkham Asylum. A lot of the mechanics carried over from the first game don't get re explained to you.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Andorski

That the riddler trophies tell you if its inside the building when you highlight them from the overview map. Spend almost an hour circling a building only to find out that two of the trophies that I was looking for was inside.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Silver-Streak

The game hides most of the tutorials because Rocksteady got complaints about them in the first game. You activate the tutorials by going to the gadget/move within the Waynetech menu for the appropriate item.

Mercot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Mercot

I wish I'd known not all cutscenes are unskippable. We get all used to these long, immersive sequences, i.e. the opening credits or CCTV monologues and then, just as I'm literally thrown into what feels like an adrenaline-charged action moment, the "B" button pops up. I instinctually mash it - there's no reason to think this could be anything other than a quick-time event.

But no. The "B" is to skip the cutscene. So I unintentionally skipped what was potentially one of the coolest scenes in the game, and only saw the aftermath.

So beware the totally random cutscene skip button.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Yanngc33

Wait, you can glide through destructible objects?

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Andorski

@Yanngc33 said:

Wait, you can glide through destructible objects?

Yup. that's how you get through all the wood panels that aren't reachable.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Andorski

Just found out that you can detonate the gel explosives individually. Took almost 20 minutes to figure that out for a Riddler trophy.

@Mercot said:

I wish I'd known not all cutscenes are unskippable. We get all used to these long, immersive sequences, i.e. the opening credits or CCTV monologues and then, just as I'm literally thrown into what feels like an adrenaline-charged action moment, the "B" button pops up. I instinctually mash it - there's no reason to think this could be anything other than a quick-time event. But no. The "B" is to skip the cutscene. So I unintentionally skipped what was potentially one of the coolest scenes in the game, and only saw the aftermath. So beware the totally random cutscene skip button.

I did that around 45 minutes into the game. Decided that it was still early into the game and chose to just replay the whole thing. Then I saw that I skipped at most 3 seconds of what was left in the cutscene.

RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RJMacReady

@Andorski: I havn't figured this out yet. Are you saying that if i manually place explosive foam 3 times i can detonate

each individual foam position without triggering the others? How ?

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fetchfox

@xhavoc86 said:

I wished there was a mini map. is there a function for that that i dont know of...? lol

Just play it so much that you know it by heart. That's more or less what i did :P

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bestostero

@fetchfox said:

@xhavoc86 said:

Just play it so much that you know it by heart. That's more or less what i did :P

It feels like I've been playing it forever and i still have no idea where im going 99% percent of the time, and when i do think i know where im going i go wayyyy over or opposite direction lol

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ghostiet
    @RJMacReady said:

I've gone through over 10 % of the game and am still learning things that i actually had access to from the beginning of the game.

1 i didn't know i could run and jump kick or jump punch, though i did know about the slide.

2 i didn't know i could gears of war corner fire a batarang, this works really well at disarming approaching alerted gunmen from a covered position.

Both of those were in Arkham Asylum. I understand you didn't play it, since the second one is required at least twice to advance the plot. Same about the remote detonation of explosive gel someone mentioned, though that was as an upgrade in AA, I don't know about City.
    fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fetchfox

@xhavoc86: That's why "custom waypoint" is so great. Just follow the bat in sky!

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Crash_Happy

@RJMacReady: You can use zoom to select an explosive foam. A 'lit' foam will blow.

Also, when you grapple you have three options. Standard grapple where you vault over most ledges, hold R1 to stop before you vault over, leaving you in position to peek over the ledge or perform a ledge grab and double tap X to boost over the top without staopping at the ledge (upgrade required).

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By 234r2we232

Aerial attacking guys with shields is unbreakable, doing the same to regular guys is breakable.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Andorski

@RJMacReady said:

@Andorski: I havn't figured this out yet. Are you saying that if i manually place explosive foam 3 times i can detonate

each individual foam position without triggering the others? How ?

Zoom in (click down on the right trigger, I believe) and you will see the "lock-on" reticle when you aim at one of the explosive gels. When you hit the detonate button you will only detonate that explosive gel.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By hbkdx12

did not know about exploding the individual gels. I already know 1 riddler challenge this would work for

didn't know you could glide thru breakable walls. Although i tried to line launch thru one of the breakable walls and it didn't work. Seems ridiculous

There are 2 riddler trophies that i've come across where there is a breakable board above batman and above that is the trophy but the board is just out of reach for me to plant explosive gel on it. Does anyone know how to break thru it? I've tried tight roping to get me closer to it but batman won't use any of his gadgets while he's squatting on something. So i'm stumped

imjustbettr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By imjustbettr

I still don't know how to do the thing where you grapple up and use the momentum to boost you into the air.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Crash_Happy

@imjustbettr@yahoo.com: Tap x then hold x. So a double tap with the second tap being held. Hope that makes sense!

@hbkdx12: Are you sure they are needing exploding foam? I haven't done them all yet but I'd done a bunch that need you to do some pretty tricky gliding.

Also, you can line launch through breakable panels. I've done it but sometimes the game can be oddly demanding about what it will and won't let you do.

@Ghostiet: No upgrade required iirc. You start the game with a whole bunch of gear, which makes sense.

RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RJMacReady

@imjustbettr@yahoo.com: Don't forget you must do the 1st for Augmented reality challenges and then obtain the grapnel booster.

@Crash_Happy

@Andorski

With regards to individual exploding gel detonation, thanks. I guess i should have figured this out but once you know to zoom in then it's really obvious. Still this sucks, i've finished the game and i really could have used this to make clearing teh predator rooms more fun. I would often down a isolated gunman and immediately foam the ground near his position. When guards investigate his body i detonate, Now i can do this with 3 gels at various locations to increase confusion.

Ovenall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ovenall

Excellent thread. Great tips. There's so much in this game that it's really hard to get it all straight in one play through.

I'm only around 20% through the game, but my suggestion to new players would be to travel around extensively once you get to the "free-roam" outside city area, and ignore missions for a while. Beat up a lot of thugs and experiment with abilities and gadgets before going to the quests. Really well done game in my opinion. My only criticism is that there's maybe too many abilities and it's impossible (for me at least) to keep it all straight. Still, I can manage. Maybe they expect people to choose their own favorite skills they concentrate on.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Klei

@Mercot said:

I wish I'd known not all cutscenes are unskippable. We get all used to these long, immersive sequences, i.e. the opening credits or CCTV monologues and then, just as I'm literally thrown into what feels like an adrenaline-charged action moment, the "B" button pops up. I instinctually mash it - there's no reason to think this could be anything other than a quick-time event. But no. The "B" is to skip the cutscene. So I unintentionally skipped what was potentially one of the coolest scenes in the game, and only saw the aftermath. So beware the totally random cutscene skip button.

Pressing the '' B '' button usually means '' back '' or '' skip '' amongst 360 games. Ain't random to me.

Mercot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mercot
    @Klei

@Mercot said:

Pressing the '' B '' button usually means '' back '' or '' skip '' amongst 360 games. Ain't random to me.

Yeah, i'll grant you that. Just annoyed me is all. Teaches me to pay attention in the future, I guess.
    imjustbettr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By imjustbettr

@Crash_Happy: @RJMacReady:

Thank you guys, never wanted to do those but I guess i have some incentive now. I'll be on it.

imjustbettr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By imjustbettr

Also I love how helpful/nice you guys are on this site in general. There's not a lot of places on the net that I wouldn't get immediately squashed for asking a stupid question like that.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Milkman

Yeah, if I have one complaint about Arkham City, it's that it does a pretty poor job of explaining a lot of the mechanics.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#42  Edited By 234r2we232

So it's possible to use the aerial combat attack to leap from one enemy to another? I just did this and can't seem to repeat it :( was it a glitch?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By Vinny_Says

If you spray 3 gels you can choose which one to explode by focusing on it by pressing in the right stick (useful for one particular trophy)

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By WickedFather

@hbkdx12 said:

There are 2 riddler trophies that i've come across where there is a breakable board above batman and above that is the trophy but the board is just out of reach for me to plant explosive gel on it. Does anyone know how to break thru it? I've tried tight roping to get me closer to it but batman won't use any of his gadgets while he's squatting on something. So i'm stumped

One of them is in that room where you have to use the line launcher and there's water below. Throw an ice grenade into the water and get on it, turn round and grapple boost and fly into the wood and there it is. It's just before you go into the room with two thin windows and a trophy cage that shuts when you enter the room.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dreamfall31

@WickedFather said:

@hbkdx12 said:

One of them is in that room where you have to use the line launcher and there's water below. Throw an ice grenade into the water and get on it, turn round and grapple boost and fly into the wood and there it is. It's just before you go into the room with two thin windows and a trophy cage that shuts when you enter the room.

Be sure to grapple the higher of the two ledges, it should shoot you straight into the breakable boards. I kept trying to get it for the longest time with the lower ledge and started to believe it wasn't the right way.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hbkdx12
    @WickedFather: @FoxMulder: Thanks guys. Very helpful

I completed the game a while ago and been cleaning up trophies ever since. I've managed to get 400 and took down the riddler but it says i have 1 catwoman trophy left and a few batman ones left. Problem is when looking at the map, I don't see any catwoman trophies (including looking in the buildings via the map) and from the looks of it, i don't have any more riddler informants to interrogate. Anyone have any ideas?
    WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By WickedFather

You will get more informants, you just have to fly around for a while looking all over the map. For each building or the outside map the legend in the bottom corner tells you how many items are left in that area even if they haven't been tagged by you or an informer. So click onthe steel mill for instance and see if the catwoman pink count has any.

The riddles you photograph are two square brackets like this [] if anyone doesn't know. The last one I got was the one about the place where the madness started and I just cheesed it by randomly photographing now and again and getting "Subject too small" or "Subject partially obscured".

For New Game+ I'm copying the Catwoman DLC off to a mem stick so I don't have to do her bits.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By hbkdx12

its definitely not out in the open and all the main buildings i zoomed in on still show there aren't any in the bottom left corner. So maybe its in one of the smaller, side mission type buildings that don't have the ability to zoom in. I dunno :/

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Dreamfall31

Check the grids for on the Riddle Trophy menu. It breaks them up into each section of the map and each big indoor buildings. That can narrow it down, but youre better off finding the last informant. Just keep looking all around the city. From all I know its random so you gotta keep looking.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.