Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham City

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 18, 2011

When Gotham City's slums have been transformed into a secluded super-prison, it's up to Batman to uncover its conspiracy in the sequel to 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Joker (END GAME SPOILER!)

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

DO NOT READ IF HAVE NOT FINISHED GAME

Ok, so at the end of the game why didn't Joker suck the cure of the ground, surely he could have done it. I've sucked water of the ground before and it is quite easy.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Why not use spoiler tags? 

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By N7

I was wondering that too, but didn't he try to? He sorta kinda did something to it when it broke.

penINC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By penINC

Didn't you see how fucked up his lips are? No way he would have been able to create enough suction with those!

Actual, boring answer: they just needed to contrive a way for him to die.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SpencerTucksen

@penINC said:

Didn't you see how fucked up his lips are? No way he would have been able to create enough suction with those!

Actual, boring answer: they just needed to contrive a way for him to die.

Exactly. Then again, it could have just evaporated or something and that would have worked. Whatever it is, they needed to kill him off since Hamill is retiring his Joker voice.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SamStrife

If you ask me, it would have been better if Batman gave him the cure but it was too late and the two of them had one last conversation, which ended in Joker dying in batman's arms.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By EVO

Why didn't he get Clayface to morph into a straw?

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Omega

It's too bad Mark Hamill isn't doing the Joker anymore. Its his most popular character aside from Luke Skywalker. Honestly I can't see anyone else doing it as well as him. I saw Batman: Under the Red Hood and the Joker was played by John Di Maggio (Marcus Fenix.) Needless to say the Joker didn't sound right at all. At least not to me. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Di Maggio. I especially enjoyed his role as every prison guard in Escape from Butcher Bay. I just think his voice is wrong for the Joker.

Oh well, its not like anyone has ever come out of retirement before, maybe after a few years he'll want to jump back in the game.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By N7
    @SamStrife said:

If you ask me, it would have been better if Batman gave him the cure but it was too late and the two of them had one last conversation, which ended in Joker dying in batman's arms.

I was really hoping for the end of The Killing Joke. Joker and Batman, being actually serious and talking to each other as if they weren't enemies, with Batman offering the best of care to help The Joker, but Joker pleading that it's too late for him, he's too far gone. That was the coolest moment in any comic book ever in the world to this day. But that doesn't exist in the Arkhamvere now. Nope. Instead, Joker stabbed Batman in the arm and went out with no fanfare and nothing special happening whatsoever.

It was a lame ass ending. It's hard to believe that they let Joker go out in such a stupid fashion, with fans fully aware that it was going to be the last one voiced by Mark Hamill. What were they thinking!? I'm up for Alternate Ending DLC!
    coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By coakroach

So the Joker dies from something chemical?

Riiiiiiiiight.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Crash_Happy

@SamStrife: But instead Batman was going to give him the cure but Joker needs to take it rather than being given it and in the scuffle it gets dropped and then they have one last conversation.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SamStrife

@Crash_Happy: Yeah, somthing that really reflected both of their personalities rather than Joker needlessly stabbing Batman in the arm then trying to suck it off the floor like a coward.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Crash_Happy

But it wasn't needless. I thought the ending was fine. Not great, but fine. There seems to be little point discussing it, some people were always going to end up disappointed.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nohthink

Let's not bullshit ourselves here. Joker ain't gonna die. If Rocksteady makes the next game, which is most likely considering the review and the sales number, Joker is gonna come back. If there is one Batman rule I know, that is Joker never dies.

And to answer to your question; yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Maybe he knew he will come back in the next game?

cornwalliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cornwalliz
    @EVO: gotta admit, made me laugh
    vespene_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vespene_jazz

@nohthink: Joker's voice actor has specifically said that he will not do his voice again. He already wasn't suppose to do it in the first Batman.

A world without Joker isn't hard to imagine, there are plenty of Batman fiction already in which the Joker is dead and (futur) Batman has to deal with his legacy. If anything, we'll see him again in some bad-trip ala Mad Hatter / Ras / Scarecrow.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Crash_Happy

@nohthink: Joker will certainly always be around in some form of Batman somewhere, but it's pretty easy for Rocksteady to keep him killed off in their little splinter.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By CJduke

@N7 said:

@SamStrife said:

I was really hoping for the end of The Killing Joke. Joker and Batman, being actually serious and talking to each other as if they weren't enemies, with Batman offering the best of care to help The Joker, but Joker pleading that it's too late for him, he's too far gone. That was the coolest moment in any comic book ever in the world to this day. But that doesn't exist in the Arkhamvere now. Nope. Instead, Joker stabbed Batman in the arm and went out with no fanfare and nothing special happening whatsoever. It was a lame ass ending. It's hard to believe that they let Joker go out in such a stupid fashion, with fans fully aware that it was going to be the last one voiced by Mark Hamill. What were they thinking!? I'm up for Alternate Ending DLC!

I thought they ended it perfectly. The Joker in The Killing Joke is not the same Joker as in the Arkham games. Mark Hamill's joker doesn't have a past and is just causing choas because he can/ thinks its funny (similar to the dark knight). I think Batman's last line to the Joker, about how even though he killed Talia and poisoned everyone and constantly causes death and destruction, that Batman still would have saved him, was one of the best things I've ever heard in a video game or movie. Not mention how emotional/epic it was when Batman walked out with Joker's body. This game was advertised as being about Hugo Strange when really it ended up being about the relationship between Batman and the Joker. I thought they did an awesome job.

@nohthink said:

Let's not bullshit ourselves here. Joker ain't gonna die. If Rocksteady makes the next game, which is most likely considering the review and the sales number, Joker is gonna come back. If there is one Batman rule I know, that is Joker never dies.

And to answer to your question; yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Maybe he knew he will come back in the next game?

I don't think the Joker is coming back in the Arkham games. Mark Hamill is retired now, I don't think they would try to get someone else to do his voice, it wouldn't be the same Joker. I think they purposely killed him because Mark Hamill won't be doing the voice anymore, so it wouldn't make sense for them to bring him back to life.

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By NickLott

Mark Hamill has said that he will come out of Joker retirement if The Killing Joke is ever animated so there's hope to hear his Joker again someday.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Dreamfall31

Yeah I do wonder if the ending has something to do with Hamill retiring from doing Joker. It would make sense as an excuse why they wouldnt have Joker in the third game, which the real reason is that they only want Hamill to do Joker.

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By briangodsoe

Joker is no more dead then he ever has been. If you read a lot of comics, especially Batman ones, you can see him coming back a dozen different ways.  

Dark Knight Returns spoilers:  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content. 
    I know it's almost 30 years old now but if somebody ruined this for me the first time I read it, I would have been pissed.

zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zdgro

@briangodsoe said:

Joker is no more dead then he ever has been. If you read a lot of comics, especially Batman ones, you can see him coming back a dozen different ways.

Dark Knight Returns spoilers: SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.
    I know it's almost 30 years old now but if somebody ruined this for me the first time I read it, I would have been pissed.
    The only Joker death I'll acknowledge is the one in DKR where he finishes snapping his own neck to prove a point and laughing the entire time.

Why can't I see your spoiler?

imjustbettr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By imjustbettr

I'm actually happy they killed the joker in the game. I love the character but he's been done to death and i feel it's time to move on to another villain.  
    The batman universe has a lot of villains just as interesting if used correctly. 

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Andorski

So... no one is going to question why the OP has sucked water off the ground before? We're just gonna let that one slide...

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Poppduder
    @Andorski

So... no one is going to question why the OP has sucked water off the ground before? We're just gonna let that one slide...

@Andorski haaaaaaaahahaha
    fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By fobwashed

I don't think they killed him off due to MH saying he's done. I thought that statement was sort of recent, or at least recent enough that it shouldn't have effected the game's ending. As awesome as he is, they could just get someone else to do joker. I heard that Heath ledger guy is good. . . Too soon?
    In any case, I just don't think a voice actor calling it quits for future projects would be the decision maker in the ending to a pretty big game. While it's nice to think it would be, this shit is a business and if they wanted to use him in another game, they'd do it wih or without MH. Hell, they'd just have Nolan North do it. My opinion -_-;;
    Three things. I thought it was a little weird that batman just had to drink the contents rather than injecting it or something. Not being able to just drink it off the floor seemed like a story thing where they just wouldn't let him though he prolly could have. And lastly, didn't batman just kill the shit out of clay face at the end?

Ghil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ghil

@Fobwashed said:

I don't think they killed him off due to MH saying he's done. I thought that statement was sort of recent, or at least recent enough that it shouldn't have effected the game's ending. As awesome as he is, they could just get someone else to do joker. I heard that Heath ledger guy is good. . . Too soon? In any case, I just don't think a voice actor calling it quits for future projects would be the decision maker in the ending to a pretty big game. While it's nice to think it would be, this shit is a business and if they wanted to use him in another game, they'd do it wih or without MH. Hell, they'd just have Nolan North do it. My opinion -_-;; Three things. I thought it was a little weird that batman just had to drink the contents rather than injecting it or something. Not being able to just drink it off the floor seemed like a story thing where they just wouldn't let him though he prolly could have. And lastly, didn't batman just kill the shit out of clay face at the end?

Actually, the statement isn't recent. He came out of retirement to do the first one, and said soon after he didn't want to do it again after the second game.

The recent statement is the one that says he'd do the Joker again if The Killing Joke was to be animated.

Mercot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mercot

I'm sure Joker eill continue to be a presence even if Mark Hamill has laid his interpretation on the character to rest.

Side note: anyone else see this on reddit? Miss Quinn may have a secret - http://i.imgur.com/sAR2j.jpg (sorry if it is not a hyperlink, still figuring out how to creat those via the mobile site)

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By alexl86

A Batman game without Joker is more interesting than another game with him at this point.

nutta27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By nutta27

What I think should be a more prominent question is. Was that the joker, the whole point of the twist was the only way to fool the worlds greatest detective is hide in plain sight. The joker used a double once, why not again?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I'm actually okay with him dying, despite him being my favorite comic book villain of all time. Batman has a really great roster of villains they can use in the next game. For anyone who played through the Serial Killer side mission:

Hush would make a fantastic main villain, and now he looks exactly like Bruce Wayne, making things potentially really complicated in the next game.

Or the weird, possibly Scarecrow related stuff on that barge in the Industrial District. As well, as that person spouting numbers over the radio that, when decoded, have some angry messages for Batman from someone.

There's a lot of stuff they could do for the next game.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By clubsandwich

@MariachiMacabre said:

I'm actually okay with him dying, despite him being my favorite comic book villain of all time. Batman has a really great roster of villains they can use in the next game. For anyone who played through the Serial Killer side mission:

Hush would make a fantastic main villain, and now he looks exactly like Bruce Wayne, making things potentially really complicated in the next game.

Or the weird, possibly Scarecrow related stuff on that barge in the Industrial District. As well, as that person spouting numbers over the radio that, when decoded, have some angry messages for Batman from someone.

that's exactly what I was thinking just after I finished the Serial Killer mission. Let's not forget that after you

complete the mission, Batman say's that he'll capture him tomorrow. I'm pretty sure Tommy will be the main villain for the next game, and considering Batman Hush is one of my all time favourite comics, I'm pretty excited for that idea! :D

I'm just wondering if Talia and Ra's will be back in the next game... I hope so.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@clubsandwich said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

that's exactly what I was thinking just after I finished the Serial Killer mission. Let's not forget that after you

complete the mission, Batman say's that he'll capture him tomorrow. I'm pretty sure Tommy will be the main villain for the next game, and considering Batman Hush is one of my all time favourite comics, I'm pretty excited for that idea! :D

I'm just wondering if Talia and Ra's will be back in the next game... I hope so.

I actually just read Hush and I agree it's great. I bought the Unwrapped Deluxe edition in all pencil. Great, great read. So far nothing's topped TDKR for me though.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#34  Edited By Crono

I wish the Joker truly was dead but let's face it we all know that he will be back. I really enjoyed this game a lot but if the Joker comes back it will leave a sour taste in my mouth. I really like his character a lot and Mark Hamill does an excellent job of giving him the perfect voice but the Joker is becoming a self-parody (in that he is a joke) should he return for a 3rd time. Let someone else rise to power - Batman has dozens of memorable nemeses (nemesi?) that could easily handle the lead villain role.

tentkaylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tentkaylor

I was a little surprised by the ending as well. I am not sure if Talia died either. I was shocked by that. I think a Damian Wayne appearance in Batman Arkham 3 would be pretty awesome. I am sure Joker will return. Rocksteady will pay Mark Hamill a crap ton of money and he will be like, sure I will be Joker again. I think it would be pretty cool if Hamill actually played the Joker in a live action Batman movie somewhere down the road. I think that would be pretty cool. Maybe the only guy that could give a Joker performance to rival the Dark Knight.

tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tactis

Just finished the game, I was pretty surprised about the ending. I am really glad the Joker died, he was great in these last two games but we need to move on. I hope we get to play around with all of Gotham next time, maybe go full on the open world aspects. Anyway, after two amazing games I am sure I will play whatever Rocksteady comes up with next.

vipersona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By vipersona

Are we still using glass medical vials? I bet Dr. freeze would use plastic.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kennybaese

I actually think that killing the Joker is their way of both retiring the character in their games, without Hamill, if he came back in these games it'd feel off. I think the idea of Red Hood and Hush happening along with Harley taking Joker's gangs and going on a rampage because of the Joker's death... it could be complete chaos and have Hush playing Harley and Red Hood playing Hush... it'd be pretty great. All in all, I thought the end of the game was great. A little conversation between the two would have been cool, but it's been done. Having the Joker actually be afraid of dying and go out like a coward is a fresh take on the character, and I liked it. The voicemail stuff during the credits was weridly touching too. I think that's what sold it for me.

uberexplodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By uberexplodey

the inclusion of Red Hood would be something I'd like to see in the next game

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By bkbroiler

I thought it was a great ending. Batman's final joke to Joker was pretty funny, and fitting for both characters. Both of hose guys are pretty screwed up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.