Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 1

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 21, 2016

The long-running Battlefield series goes even further back in time in the 15th installment, this time to the first World War.

Battlefield 1 Trailer

• 132 results
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Oh. Oh wow. That looks like some next-level shit. Now I see why that DICE dev was so cocky on Twitter after the Infinite Warfare reveal.

Are they actually calling it Battlefield 1 though? Because... that's fucking amazing. Right up there with your trench foot dubstep remixes. Fuckin video games man. So great.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By ivdamke

I still need to see some raw ass unfiltered MP footage but I'm optimistic. Being set in WW1 will change the entire dynamic of how BF has played which makes this announcement all the more intriguing. The biggest thing I'm concerned about is how they're going to handle classes and vehicles. The custom class/vehicle perks that started in Bad Company 2 I've simply never been a fan of. It was workable in BC2 because it was limited but when BF3 came around they started stripping out core mechanics to make them perks or attachments you unlock, that's just garbage. I hope they find a balance in this.

Also that's in-engine footage I can hear my computer wheezing already.

EDIT: They better bring back actual foreign spoken languages too. Stupid BF3 and 4 ruined everything having the Russians speak in English etc.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Battlefield 1 is such a fucking great and dumb name, I like it. I hope they lean way, way hard into the alternate history angle, because actual gritty combat from WW1 is just kinda slow and depressing. Like the war itself.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Surprisingly, this seems pretty cool. Although, that music couldn't possibly be worse...

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@akeldama said:

Activision and EA both battling it out to see who can make me cringe harder with their music choice in these trailers.

I liked both. But I'm not at all familiar with either song.

First off, 2016 is off to a roaring start with covers and remixes of "classic" songs for video game trailers, what with Space Oddity, Seven Nation Army, True Colours and Stand by Me...

Secondly, I guess popular music isn't everyone's thing necessarily.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By white

So now it's actually real history instead of alternate history, according to the article from Kotaku. I didn't think a WW1 setting could've been less interesting but, well, good job EA.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Blackout62

The title's a terrible joke no matter how people try to justify it, the music is not only ill fitting but has undoubtedly been used by other war games, and somehow they've managed to slip a black man onto a video game cover. I don't think marketing is mentally sound at the moment.

Speaking of not mentally sound: I hope this is the better part of the single player.

Loading Video...

Bring it, DICE. I have my jaded glasses on and an astonishing amount of snide remarks, videos, and poems pertaining to WWI I can throw out before this game releases.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baronsamedi: Isn't there a menu option for languages in bf3? BC2 had it at least

ashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This looks incredible! can't wait to hear what the guys think of this. i'm behind on bombcasts and I recall recently listening to one from maybe february or march where jeff and drew said they were actually ready for these kind of games (battlefield/cod) to go back to the world war settings. i think drew even mentioned how pumped he would be for a better ww1 game after he kinda enjoyed verdun

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By octaslash

I thought the name was pretty clever considering that no one calls 1942 "Battlefield 1", so no one will ever get confused.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: Nah, it was nothing but English with accents in BF3 and 4.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaff: I like popular music. This kind of thing just isn't a trigger for me to become outraged.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

can't wait for battlefield 2

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: I hear they're going modern day with it, adding stat tracking and weapon unlocks.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: Nah, it was nothing but English with accents in BF3 and 4.

Ahh nevermind I just realised we're talking about different things. I was thinking about the enemy VO being in Russian by default with a setting for English but you're talking about your own teams VO right?

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: Both, I haven't played BF3 or 4 in awhile but from memory either team would always speak in English but with accents. Maybe it was just BF3 that did this and they added the option in BF4? I'll be honest BF4's stability made me not really bother much with the game.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have high hopes for this game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

You know what? I'm way, way, way into how stupid the title of this game is. It's like calling your third video game console the Xbox One or something.

I also like World War 1 a lot, so it will be fun to see how they throw historical accuracy out the window when it comes to making the battles of the Western Front into something that would make sense in a fast-paced modern video game. In all seriousness, this is probably the most interested I've been in a big dumb AAA military shooter in quite some time.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I vastly prefer Battlefield and its large-scale stuff, so I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of thing this new setting lets them do.

I remember when Modern Warfare came out, my thinking was "how will they ever match World War II battles?" And after that first ship fight, I realized that the new setting would turn out just fine. I hope DICE can pull off something similar.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70  Edited By Marz

the name does suck though... but otherwise the trailer was ok.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Kind of a crummy trailer but whatever, I'll always be interested in a Battlefield game. Looking forward to seeing more of the actual game instead of a concept video.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@baronsamedi: I agree on all of those points! Well said. All things considered, I'm about as excited as you can get for a reveal trailer. The setting is more interesting than I would've expected and I'd really love to get back into Battlefield. Even their promises concerning the singleplayer going for more of a BF multiplayer-esque feel sound excellent.

The weird song choice is entirely justified by the strange dubstep-artillery-fire moment in my book.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm gonna say it - Battlefield 1 is a kickass name and duuuuuuuuuuumb as hell. It's perfect.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By BoOzak

I'm not gonna lie I kind of wanted Battlefield 2143 but considering weve got Titanfall 2 and Infinite Warfare this year something more grounded is welcome. Although I have next to no hype about the single player portion of this game, which granted it's a Battlefield game I probably shouldnt have high expectations regardless of the setting.

And there arent that many WW1 games out there so that's something.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like someone said, it's kinda hilarious we've got this action movie trailer for a game set in WW1. But then again, BF games never were about the horrors of war and a trailer with people chokin on mustard gas and whatnot probably wouldn't be a seller.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#76  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@fram said:

I'm gonna say it - Battlefield 1 is a kickass name and duuuuuuuuuuumb as hell. It's perfect.

Agreed.

Just using normal number 1 is dumb as fuck but DICE doesn't care. I will take it.

On a related subject, I wonder how they will do a Commander mode... It's gonna be hard due to historical context but removing it would piss some people off.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako:

It's the UEFA Euro 2016 soccer tournament this summer, so there is going to be a lot more Seven Nation Army before the year is done.

Damnit, you're right. You have to stop this. Yes, you. Personally.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@memonk: It appears that there's currently a sale and that one is free, I'll definitely check it out then.

As for the game - looking forward to both this and the new Call of Duty / CoD 4 remastered.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By penguindust

So COD takes you into space and Battlefield brings you back into the trenches. There's something for everyone it seems. Yes, it's largely a cut-scene trailer, but the flavor excites me. It looks pretty cool. I am glad they are going with a more pseudo-history approach to the action rather than accurately depicting weapons and tactics employed during the conflict. Realism can be boring as hell.

The song didn't bother me although it was an unimaginative choice. The title of the game, however, I found to be great fun. It's ridiculous so I like it.

sstwrt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heh even a WW1 game is about American's saving the day.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By ivdamke

@sstwrt: I saw and heard more than just Americans in that trailer. They've also stated that the campaign will be about multiple people from across the globe.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty excited to see more of this in action. Very curious how MP will play and what they'll change up from BF4. Hopefully it doesn't take 6-8 months for it to be playable after launch though!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako:

It's the UEFA Euro 2016 soccer tournament this summer, so there is going to be a lot more Seven Nation Army before the year is done.

There's a video I could link that would be in a very poor taste right now.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Continually blown away by the visuals in these games. It was only 10 years ago that Battlefield games looked like this:

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:
    @christoffer said:

@paulmako:

There's a video I could link that would be in a very poor taste right now.

I like what some people would call "poor taste", so bring it on.

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@memonk: I second that.

Listen to this man. Hardcore history's World War 1 special is fantastic and most definitely worth your time.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Shindig

@christoffer: Nah, I'd still feel terrible doing it. It was the err... bomb going off at Stade de France back in November.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All footage is in-engine, but is not gameplay, my judgement is reserved.
    Considering how the DICE staff were talking shit about the COD trailer, they sure did just show almost nothing with a bad version of Seven Nation Army so... thanks?

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Christoffer

@shindig said:

@christoffer: Nah, I'd still feel terrible doing it. It was the err... bomb going off at Stade de France back in November.

Aha. Yeah, don't post that

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surprisingly, this seems pretty cool. Although, that music couldn't possibly be worse...

Yeah, the music was really off putting to me, I like the normal version of that song outside of this trailer, but it was a weirdly implanted out of place bad remix of it.
    They already have the Battlefield main theme tune they could have used, probably would have fit much better.

But anyways, I'm pretty excited, I've been in a WW2 mood lately, replaying the old Call of Duties and Medal of Honors and Brothers In Arms, so this couldn't have been announced at a better time for me, the trailer didn't give me much to go on really besides good looking exploding things going fast, but it's super cool to have a high budget WW1 game, so fingers crossed.

nasher27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the dev's cockiness is justified. Trailer was great, put a smile on my face with how over the top and dumb it was (in a good way).

Polar opposite reaction to the COD trailer, that just seemed so "well, I guess this is the next logical step."

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got zero confidence in this till we see a ton of good footage.
    And map design! One of most important aspects of a battlefield game that has really suffered over the years.

fossas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

huh, I haven't played a BF game since Bad Company 2, but I'm actually really impressed by this

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Alright, seriously, who the fuck is picking the music in these trailers? Between nu-metal Sound of Silence, buttrock Bowie and now dubstep White Stripes, it's like there's some sort of virus going around these big game developers.

Anyway, game looks interesting at least. Much more so than if they made just another Battlefield game.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Can't decide which title is worse, Call of Duty Infinite Warfare or Battlefield 1.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#96  Edited By monkeyking1969

My guess is they will have some "real " weapons used in some un-real ways to get around what people will want to shoot. Most people don't know this because we don't study WWI as much as we did WW2, but every side in that war had machines guns, often crew served guns like the Vickers or with the well know water jacketed barrel or the American Lewis Machine Gun. But there were also infantry weapons, all side of the war had sub-machine guns in development or in the field. The Thompson submachine gun was made for the Great War, but it arrived a little too late but many of countries had an equivalent. So, all sides did have functional or at least experimental solder carry-able rapid fire guns by mid-war.

That is how I think the game will work, there will be single shot rifles for sure, but they will have every and all "experimental" sub-machine guns, assault rifles, machine pistols they can scroung up from history. Likely, the Thompson, the MPS18, The Browing BAR, Fusil-Mitrailleur Modele 1915 CSRG, Hotchkiss Model 1909, and a few of semi automtic pistols with stocks. They will easily cover all the "common CoD" weapons types with a "same function" gun from WWI. One weapon I bet we see is the M1903 Springfield rifle with a "Pedersen Device", which turned the Springfield into an assault rifle.

This game will probably be very satisfying to Battlefield players who fear about not having their guns...they will probably be fine.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Calling it Battlefield 1 is fucking brilliant!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Shindig

Wonder if they'll weave in the Easter Uprising and October Revolution in somewhere?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt said:

@l44:Considering they've gone out of their way to put the Harlem Hellfighters in it (in fact it seems like it might even be the box-art) there's a chance. I suspect with the emphasis on melee stuff you'll see a kukri if not a Gurkha himself

I would love to see my Gurkha mates getting represented. Gurung would lose his shit over that.

sstwrt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Think I'll skip it.

American on the cover and the US fought in WW1 for how long?

Another flag-waving jingofest. No thanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.