Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

BF3 singleplayer will probably be underwhelming.

• 53 results
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Jayross

Now, Battlefield has always been about the multiplayer, but that's no excuse for putting resources into something and it still ends up being mediocre.

----

Bad Company 1 had a pretty good singleplayer. It was mostly because of the amazing characters and their humorous dialog. The gameplay was also pretty with huge, open levels and vehicles scattered throughout.

Bad Company 2 was an entirely different beast. The story was much more serious, the characters not as chatty or as funny, and the game was much more linear. Overall, it was pretty underwhelming.

I spoke to the lead-writer for Bad Company 2 (different than the one from BC1), and asked him why there was such a shift in tone between the two games. Unfortunately, he said he "couldn't go into it".

Have the trailers for Battlefield 3 shown anything different? Is DICE doing anything to change it up?

The singleplayer in Battlefield 3 will probably be generic and underwhelming, with characters no one cares about. It will look great, sound great, and play alright. Oh, I am also sure you will shoot a lot of dudes in the face.

Bring on the multiplayer, DICE.    

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By KarlPilkington

cool

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shiftymagician

Sure are a lot of people that can see into the future in the Internet...

EDIT: To give one interesting piece of discussion value though, I think Battlefield 3 shouldn't try to make memorable characters at all, but attempt to go with placing you in the eyes of random soldiers tasked to do some amazing yet dangerous things, with the major plot points being around political decisions being made as a result of the key events that you are participating in.  Would make for an interesting commentary into "what-if" scenarios within the realm of global politics. 

If they really need a memorable character, it should just be a plain honest soldier that gets roped into the worst things possible and that he simply must survive whilst questioning the things happening around him in his mind.  The emotional moments should not be stretched out, but lightly sprinkled throughout the campaign to give people some emotional ties to whatever the story could be.

Will they go that path? Seriously Doubt it.  I will guess that here will likely be more than 1 character in this that will have different fates in the campaign at least.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jayross
    @ShiftyMagician said:
    " Sure are a lot of people that can see into the future in the Internet.
    I'm not looking into the future, I am looking back. What was the last military first person shooter that had a good story? I am finding it hard to think of one...
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By napalm
    @Jayross said:
    " @ShiftyMagician said:
    I'm not looking into the future, I am looking back. What was the last military first person shooter that had a good story? I am finding it hard to think of one... "
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare had a pretty good story with a lot of really great set-piece moments. But, that formula has been butchered and done to death by now, so changes might be in order, I think.
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Donos
    @Jayross said:
    " @ShiftyMagician said:
    I'm not looking into the future, I am looking back. What was the last military first person shooter that had a good story? I am finding it hard to think of one... "
    Black Ops has a pretty good story, and I enjoyed that singleplayer quite a bit. Anyways, I don't see why people get so hung up on every game needing a great story. Sure, a perfect game would include a perfect story, but it certainly hasn't put me off of... really any game I can think of. This is Battlefield, the only things I'm worried about are the things that make Battlefield special, and those are all gameplay. Use the singleplayer to give me unique setpieces based on that gameplay, and I'm happy.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jayross
    @Napalm said:
    " @Jayross said:
    " @ShiftyMagician said:
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare had a pretty good story with a lot of really great set-piece moments. But, that formula has been butchered and done to death by now, so changes might be in order, I think. "
    Yeah, CoD4 was good.

I think the next good story in a first person shooter is going to be a game where you shoot 1% of the amount of people you would shoot in a traditional story. More tension and atmosphere; less firefights.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jayross
    @Donos said:
    " @Jayross said:
    " @ShiftyMagician said:
    Black Ops has a pretty good story, and I enjoyed that singleplayer quite a bit. Anyways, I don't see why people get so hung up on every game needing a great story. Sure, a perfect game would include a perfect story, but it certainly hasn't put me off of... really any game I can think of. This is Battlefield, the only things I'm worried about are the things that make Battlefield special, and those are all gameplay. Use the singleplayer to give me unique setpieces based on that gameplay, and I'm happy. "
    That's fine, but the gameplay also felt pretty standard. The 12 minute trailer really underscored that with some of the firefights. Things did seem a bit more dynamic, but it's nothing revolutionary.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Azteck

It all depends on your expectations, man. Don't expect a Casanova-like story telling and you should be able to enjoy it no matter what it does and doesn't do. Disappointment only happens to those who expect something fantastic out of everything

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Subjugation

What is up with all of the negativity on unreleased games lately?

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kermoosh

compared to the campaign in battlefield 2, anything is better than that

Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ocean_H
    @Jayross said:
    " Now, Battlefield has always been about the multiplayer, but that's no excuse for putting resources into something and it still ends up being mediocre.----Bad Company 1 had a pretty good singleplayer. It was mostly because of the amazing characters and their humorous dialog. The gameplay was also pretty with huge, open levels and vehicles scattered throughout.Bad Company 2 was an entirely different beast. The story was much more serious, the characters not as chatty or as funny, and the game was much more linear. Overall, it was pretty underwhelming.I spoke to the lead-writer for Bad Company 2 (different than the one from BC1), and asked him why there was such a shift in tone between the two games. Unfortunately, he said he "couldn't go into it".Have the trailers for Battlefield 3 shown anything different? Is DICE doing anything to change it up?The singleplayer in Battlefield 3 will probably be generic and underwhelming, with characters no one cares about. It will look great, sound great, and play alright. Oh, I am also sure you will shoot a lot of dudes in the face.Bring on the multiplayer, DICE.     "
    Was Romeo and Juliet basically a generic forbidden love story? Was Hamlet basically a generic revenge story? As you get older, you've probably seen or even have thought of all the possible outcome there is in life. For me, any and all storytelling is always interesting.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Ocean_H said:
    " @Jayross said:
    " Now, Battlefield has always been about the multiplayer, but that's no excuse for putting resources into something and it still ends up being mediocre.----Bad Company 1 had a pretty good singleplayer. It was mostly because of the amazing characters and their humorous dialog. The gameplay was also pretty with huge, open levels and vehicles scattered throughout.Bad Company 2 was an entirely different beast. The story was much more serious, the characters not as chatty or as funny, and the game was much more linear. Overall, it was pretty underwhelming.I spoke to the lead-writer for Bad Company 2 (different than the one from BC1), and asked him why there was such a shift in tone between the two games. Unfortunately, he said he "couldn't go into it".Have the trailers for Battlefield 3 shown anything different? Is DICE doing anything to change it up?The singleplayer in Battlefield 3 will probably be generic and underwhelming, with characters no one cares about. It will look great, sound great, and play alright. Oh, I am also sure you will shoot a lot of dudes in the face.Bring on the multiplayer, DICE.     "
    Was Romeo and Juliet basically a generic forbidden love story? Was Hamlet basically a generic revenge story? As you get older, you've probably seen or even have thought of all the possible outcome there is in life. For me, any and all storytelling is always interesting. "
    You know those are probably the oldest examples of those stories.  Maybe to a point where they aren't cliches.
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kishan6
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " @Ocean_H said:
    " @Jayross said:
    Was Romeo and Juliet basically a generic forbidden love story? Was Hamlet basically a generic revenge story? As you get older, you've probably seen or even have thought of all the possible outcome there is in life. For me, any and all storytelling is always interesting. "
    You know those are probably the oldest examples of those stories.  Maybe to a point where they aren't cliches. "
    this
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayross
    @Ocean_H interesting? You thought the story in Bad Company 2 was interesting?
    Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dont think the story will be all too fun so im leaning on the gameplay of the single player to entertain me for a bit and get me used to the game

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By ajamafalous

In comparison to the multiplayer, yes.

DTKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DTKT

AS long as they fix the grenade physics, I'll buy it.

Try throwing one through a window in BC2. I dare you.
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JP_Russell

I'm really not expecting anything from the single player at all.  DICE showed me very plainly with BC2 that they can't make a good single player shooter campaign for shit, with the alarmingly robotic AI and the stale, linear level progression, and literally nothing to the gameplay outside of gunplay.

trebert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By trebert

It is still a step up from having multiplayer maps with bots. Which is in my opinion all it should have, and what there previously was. The game does not need any sort of singleplayer, and if one comes at the price of diverting anything from the development of the multiplayer on any level it is wasted in my o. That is at least if they want it to be a proper Battlefield game.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By big_jon

I thought the structure of BC 2.s single player was better.

BC1 had some interesting parts but I mean come on, you fucking re-spawned! How awkward and dumb was that?

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By p_p_o_d
    doesnt really matter to me.  single player in these kind of games I play to get myself use to the controls before jumping online.  if the single player is any good thats always a plus but in the end I think the bad company 2 single player took me 6 hours and I have played close to 50 hours online I expect that kind of ratio in BF3

StrawHatLaw13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StrawHatLaw13

The only problem I had with single player in Bad Company 2 was that even though you had all these characters in your squad or company right next to you they didn't do shit combat wise, and the enemy AI knew that so they all aimed for you.  

I hope there's improvements single player wise but at the same time I believe especially for a game like Battlefield is that multi-player comes first.  And really that's where my curiosity lies.

And while looking up whether or not there'd be split-screen co-op online I found out there will be a campaign co-op from their blog.  So that's cool.  I do hope there will be multi-player split-screen for consoles though.
    monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By monkeyking1969

I actually like Bad Company 2's story a bit better the previous game, and mostly because the first game was too goofy. 

The struggle of making the single player campaign is WHAT is worthwhile in the attempt.   In the struggle to make a good single player games is the seed to make better multiplayer games.  Any third-rate develops can slap some guns, some generic dudes, and some micro-goals onto a map and let players shoot each other; but it takes a team who cares and has something to say to make a good multiplers game.  If a developer has something to say, they say it with the single player game.   Any developer who does not even try to make a single player experience is just showing how unskillful and lazy they are to not even try. 

I will never buy a fps shooter that does not have a single player campaign in it.  Why buy a game from a team who has so little faith in their own skills?

[Bob] Should you buy a game from people who think they are unskillful and incompetent? I doubt it!

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Enigma777
    I, for one, enjoyed BC2's SP a whole lot more than BC1's... Hell, it was even beter than Black Ops' SP.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mikemcn

Bad Company 2's singleplayer was completely awful. I really did not enjoy it. 

And Battlefield 3's campaign will be underwhelming but they keep pushing it like its not. Show the multiplayer, thats what people want and what they deserve, not some watered down campaign bullshit thats only there because Call of Duty fans expect it. 
    CarbChewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CarbChewer

duh?

Who plays Battlefield for the singleplayer? Hell, i'm just glad they're not just bot matches anymore.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Wuddel

A generic singleplayer is bound to happen. Expect 4/5 stars reviews from major sites because of that. 

They took an interesting approach to BC1. But sadly they toned down the humor ... maybe good in a game that is about killing people. 

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BulletproofMonk

The single player in Bad Company 2 was way better than in the first one. Just sayin'. 

Sure, they didn't joke around as much, but when they did, I laughed my ass off. There was some seriously funny shit in there. Didn't laugh once in the first game.  

Oh, and actually playing the game was much more fun.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By Alexander

I would have preferred to hear BF3 had no single player at all. I never finished the Bad Company 2 campaign, it was pretty bad.

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Druminator

I'm personally getting a little burnt on the single player parts of FPS. They're all starting to seem the same as the last game, especially COD. Most people end up playing the multiplayer for years and I still don't get why they don't put more dedication into that by allowing rewards for people who have been playing so long. Sure they have Prestige in COD and it takes forever to unlock everything in Reach but I'm wanting an online shooter that's constantly evolving. Instead of pushing out another sequel every year they could come up with some pretty awesome updates/DLC to expand the game. Maybe what I'm looking for is an FPSMMO or something like that. A game where there's still the competitive parts but lots of stuff you have to work a long time to get...

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Wuddel
    @Druminator said:
    I'm personally getting a little burnt on the single player parts of FPS. They're all starting to seem the same as the last game, especially COD. Most people end up playing the multiplayer for years and I still don't get why they don't put more dedication into that by allowing rewards for people who have been playing so long. Sure they have Prestige in COD and it takes forever to unlock everything in Reach but I'm wanting an online shooter that's constantly evolving. Instead of pushing out another sequel every year they could come up with some pretty awesome updates/DLC to expand the game. Maybe what I'm looking for is an FPSMMO or something like that. A game where there's still the competitive parts but lots of stuff you have to work a long time to get...
    Well. This is OT, but I guess this will require a subscription model. And the only company who is really successful with that is Blizzard with World of Warcraft. The shooter crowd is not ready for subscriptions. And DICE is taking the opposite approach with BF Play4Free. 

That being said, I am totally with you. A Battlefield MMOFPS with a persistent world would be awesome and I would pay 5-8EUR for that a month.
    swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By swamplord666

I don't expect an amzing story driven campaign. I expect a pretty OK campaign with awesome set pieces like A FUCKING EARTHQUAKE MAKING A BUILDING FALL ON TOP OF YOU!

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By blueduck

They're just putting one in so they can sell it to the people who plan to play it on console.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NTM

If the games single player sucks, I won't want it. That's the whole reason I want to play it, to see how the single player turns out. I couldn't care less about its multiplayer.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By blueduck
    @NTM said:
    If the games single player sucks, I won't want it. That's the whole reason I want to play it, to see how the single player turns out. I couldn't care less about its multiplayer.
    Not caring about the multiplayer for a battlefield game makes me wonder how you got interested in the franchise at all. Not hating just wondering.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I couldn't care less about the single player. It will be a series of set pieces strung together by various shooting sequences, just like every other shooter. MP is why I'm buying this game.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#38  Edited By PhatSeeJay

It'll be underwhelming till your team is tasked to extract Bravo Company from a special assignment. When that happens; the campaign will be amazing. 

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Loved the SP characters from BC1. The humour and relationship between them with the sort of misfit overtone was perfect and refreshing for a FPS game. When they released the 2nd BC game and made the story all doom-and-gloom it just became another military FPS shooter with  a typical story line where the characters had now become an almost crack squad of elites (well close enough). I agree in that i also felt BC2's SP campaign was a huge step back for the franchise. Ive never liked to MP side of the BC games (although was a huge fan of all BF games on PC up to BC). I get the impression that in BF3's SP you will just be a faceless soilder doing his duty which is a shame because as done to death as the COD franchise is it still has memorable characters. Im glad they are putting a SP campagin into BF3 although I dont hold high hopes for it, but mabye it will free up the next BC game to go back to its comedic roots now they can have BF3 as the serious one. 
    Ill be picking up BF3 for the X360 as I have no PC and no cash to build a new one but if BF3 is as good as I hope and stays true to BF2 and not as closely to BC 1 & 2 ill definitely pick it up for PC when I get round to getting a new one.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Wuddel
    @Twisted_Scot said:
    Loved the SP characters from BC1. The humour and relationship between them with the sort of misfit overtone was perfect and refreshing for a FPS game. When they released the 2nd BC game and made the story all doom-and-gloom it just became another military FPS shooter with  a typical story line where the characters had now become an almost crack squad of elites (well close enough). I agree in that i also felt BC2's SP campaign was a huge step back for the franchise. Ive never liked to MP side of the BC games (although was a huge fan of all BF games on PC up to BC). I get the impression that in BF3's SP you will just be a faceless soilder doing his duty which is a shame because as done to death as the COD franchise is it still has memorable characters. Im glad they are putting a SP campagin into BF3 although I dont hold high hopes for it, but mabye it will free up the next BC game to go back to its comedic roots now they can have BF3 as the serious one.   

This. Couln't have experessed it better.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#41  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @Twisted_Scot said:

but mabye it will free up the next BC game to go back to its comedic roots now they can have BF3 as the serious one. 

I agree with you on everything, and I think this part in your post is the thing I hope for. The main BF games are the serious ones while the Bad Company series offered humor and a funnier story progression (even if they shot themselves in the foot by making Bravo Company all serious and boring in BC2). And I really hope they take this step to separate BF from BC in terms of atmosphere and story telling. Because I want to see the silly and awesome Bad Company back in BC3, while I certainly don't want humor mixed into BF3. 
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @PhatSeeJay: Yeah im fine with waiting 3 - 5 years between main BF games with a short yet comedic BC game put out every 2 or so years.
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By phish09
    @Jayross said:
    @ShiftyMagician said:
    I'm not looking into the future, I am looking back. What was the last military first person shooter that had a good story? I am finding it hard to think of one...
    So bad story = bad game?  Guess I better stop playing Mario and Pacman and Resident Evil and pretty much every game I love. 

I can name maybe 10 games in the history of video games that have, what I'd consider, a good story.  Off the top of my head; Mass Effect, Bioshock, MGS, GTAIV, Red Dead, LA Noire, Planescape: Torment, Half Life...ok, so I could only come up with 8...I guess that means every other game ever has a crappy single player campaign right?

Good story does not necessarily mean fun game and fun games usually have nothing to do with good stories.  I think you're confusing video games for movies or some other genre of entertainment where gameplay isn't the defining feature.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jayross
    @phish09
    @Jayross said:
    @ShiftyMagician said:
    So bad story = bad game?  Guess I better stop playing Mario and Pacman and Resident Evil and pretty much every game I love. 

I can name maybe 10 games in the history of video games that have, what I'd consider, a good story.  Off the top of my head; Mass Effect, Bioshock, MGS, GTAIV, Red Dead, LA Noire, Planescape: Torment, Half Life...ok, so I could only come up with 8...I guess that means every other game ever has a crappy single player campaign right?

Good story does not necessarily mean fun game and fun games usually have nothing to do with good stories.  I think you're confusing video games for movies or some other genre of entertainment where gameplay isn't the defining feature.
    Guess what, Battlefield 3 will have multiplayer. Multiplayer is all gameplay... there is no story there.

So, why would I bother with the singleplayer, really? If I want to have loads of fun, I will play multiplayer with my friends, not run through a linear progression while shooting dudes in the face.

Without a good story, the singleplayer will easily, without a doubt, be a fraction of the fun of the multiplayer.
    mastrbiggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mastrbiggy

BC was more of a campy experiment.  So far BF3 seems to be like the recent MoH game in terms of tone and story. So basically it really depends on immersion and authenticity to drive the story instead of  solely relying on plot devices and character.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By Marz

My only worry is that they will try to hard to make an awesome single player (which nobody really cares about)  and the multiplayer suffers because of that and isn't as fully featured as the old Battlefield 2.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mikemcn

I wanted to kill the Bad Company 2 Campaign with fire. I could not be less excited about BF3's singleplayer, Im considering not even touching it and just sticking with Multiplayer. 

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kmg90
    @blueduck said:

@NTM said:

Not caring about the multiplayer for a battlefield game makes me wonder how you got interested in the franchise at all. Not hating just wondering.
    For anyone to say that they like the Battlefield games for their single player campaigns, is clearly not a fan from the PC side of the series.Because in those games multiplayer was the single player, in which playing off-line or "single player" was just being in a game with a bunch of bots.  Battlefield had no single player stories or campaigns before the Bad Company series came around. 
    xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By xpgamer7

I know it's made for multiplayer, but the trailers still suggests the single player will be awesome.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50  Edited By KaosAngel

I had no plans to touch the single player.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.