Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

COD in my Battlefield

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mikey87144

The more I hear about Battlefield 3 the less I want it. A couple of impressions of what DICE showed at the EA summer showcase mentioned that they added COD style twitch shooting in sections of Rush mode. Essentially imagine if you and your team just destroyed the other teams, whatever it will be, and then the next section of the map takes place in a tight corridor like environment which tailors to COD style twitch shooting. I was always under the impression that DICE was making the stupid decision to add game modes for that style of play and leaving the traditional Battlefield play style alone. This strategy has me worried. I'm worried that by trying to make a game for everyone they end up making a game no one likes.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EuanDewar
    That's a real peanut butter situation. 
    JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By JCTango
    @mikey87144: I'm sure when it comes out there will be some mods that will alter the gameplay to suit your needs.  Project Reality did this with Battlefield 2, I'm sure they will do it for Battlefield 3 :).
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mikemcn

This is going to be a bummer year for first person shooter fans, MW3 is going to be more of the same, and Battlefield 3 isn't going to bring anything truly new to the table while losing much of what made it stand out.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By scarace360
    @Mikemcn said:

This is going to be a bummer year for first person shooter fans, MW3 is going to be more of the same, and Battlefield 3 isn't going to bring anything truly new to the table while losing much of what made it stand out.

I hope BF3's shooting is different.

We can only hope that BF3 kicks ass.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By napalm

People still give a shit about modern first-person military shooters? lmao

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

@scarace360 said:

@Mikemcn said:

I hope BF3's shooting is different.

We can only hope that BF3 kicks ass.

I really hope it does, but I have no faith in DICE, they are trying to make a COD killer, and the only thing that can kill COD, is another COD.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By emergency

Basically they are making a map that is more narrow, it has several different sections like other maps.. in BC2 and they are very varied from each other. So calm down.. this post makes me cringe. "Some person on the internet said that BF3 has a section that is a tight corridor, which makes it basically call of duty." All this thread needs is for you to declare that you are no longer going to buy the game because of it.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Dany

@Napalm said:

lol, it is only the highest selling genre, ROTLCOPTER?!?!?!?!

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JCTango
    @Napalm: While I agree that the genre is a little bit played out, sometimes it's fun to play, especially if the game has a lot of teamwork elements to it.  A Project Reality mod for this game would be pretty sweet - destructible environment + semi-simulation combat + teamwork & communication = pretty fun  :)
    Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Heltom92

Having a mix of open traditional BF areas and smaller areas might actually be cool.

Also, say the modern FPS is played out is a bit silly to me. Surely many things in games are played out (JRPGs with anime style characters, sci fi RTS games) but people don't complain about that.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By napalm
    @Dany said:

@Napalm said:

Because "highest selling" is a clear mark that they are some of the greatest videogames ever made. 

You're an idiot.
    Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aishan
    @Napalm said:
    @Dany said:

@Napalm said:

Because "highest selling" is a clear mark that they are some of the greatest videogames ever made.  You're an idiot.
    He never said that. 

You asserted that no-one cares about the genre, which is clearly not the case.
    krisgebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By krisgebis

@Napalm: No, because highest selling means, that alot of people care about it.

Learn basic logic, before accusing others of being "idiots".

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By napalm

Battlefield 3 Defense Force, GO!

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

LMAO and people continue to support the current road of video games! LMAO! Funny how much companies are just blindly getting away with. It doesn't matter like me typing this right now. Because people will never boycott video game companies because they need there fix.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By big_jon

@Aishan said:

@Napalm said:
    @Dany said:

@Napalm said:

Because "highest selling" is a clear mark that they are some of the greatest videogames ever made. You're an idiot.
    He never said that. You asserted that no-one cares about the genre, which is clearly not the case.

Yes, take your juvenile arguments to Gamespy or another one of those forums that expect that sort of thing.

I ask you now, are YOU in fact the idiot?

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aishan
    @Napalm said:
    You don't get to play the fanboy-defence card after insulting people, duder.
    mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mikey87144

@emergency said:

Basically they are making a map that is more narrow, it has several different sections like other maps.. in BC2 and they are very varied from each other. So calm down.. this post makes me cringe. "Some person on the internet said that BF3 has a section that is a tight corridor, which makes it basically call of duty." All this thread needs is for you to declare that you are no longer going to buy the game because of it.

No this was not some person. I read it from IGN.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/118/1182903p1.html

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Potter9156
    @Napalm said:

Good argument. You really showed those modern FPS fans/neanderthals. You put them in their place.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By big_jon

And looking at the gameplay so far I think this is a pretty silly worry.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cloudenvy

I think that sounds pretty cool, actually..Going from an open map to a small corridor metro sounds like a nice change of pace.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By salad10203

There will be large conquest maps for famous Battlefield battles.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dany

@Napalm said:

@Dany said:

@Napalm said:

Because "highest selling" is a clear mark that they are some of the greatest videogames ever made. You're an idiot.

I never said that. I was making fun. The genre is very stale and needs to make some improvements because in all honestly, things haven't changed since about 2007.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By B0nd07

@JCTango said:

@mikey87144: I'm sure when it comes out there will be some mods that will alter the gameplay to suit your needs. Project Reality did this with Battlefield 2, I'm sure they will do it for Battlefield 3 :).

Except there won't be any mod support at launch, and possibly never will be.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Bollard
    @mikey87144: Operation Metro is all they've shown so far, and yeah, Rush is a console mode made for COD players anyway, so they are totally allowed to have it go from open environment, to up tight tube tunnels, and back out into the open again. Why not? What other games at the moment offer that kind of play-by-play approach and make you have to change tactics on the fly? Rush is pretty unique and I'm glad they're taking advantage of it in that way. 

What you have to remember is Operation Metro is a 32 player map - there will be conquest maps hosting 64 dudes, and guess what? Some of them will be HUGE, WIDE OPEN areas, with VEHICLE COMBAT and none of that twitch style stuff you find so abhorrent. So don't start QQing yet.
    mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mikey87144

@Chavtheworld: I never said I'm out. I'm just concerned. Whenever a developer says they want to reach a broader audience their games usually suffer from the "game is good at a lot of things but not great at anything."

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Chavtheworld said:
    @mikey87144: Operation Metro is all they've shown so far, and yeah, Rush is a console mode made for COD players anyway, so they are totally allowed to have it go from open environment, to up tight tube tunnels, and back out into the open again. Why not? What other games at the moment offer that kind of play-by-play approach and make you have to change tactics on the fly? Rush is pretty unique and I'm glad they're taking advantage of it in that way.  What you have to remember is Operation Metro is a 32 player map - there will be conquest maps hosting 64 dudes, and guess what? Some of them will be HUGE, WIDE OPEN areas, with VEHICLE COMBAT and none of that twitch style stuff you find so abhorrent. So don't start QQing yet.
    That's a pretty good post to read, and i'll add my own points: 

Rush has always been DICE's "poster mode" to streamline the franchise, make it more accessible and less complicated. You attack a box, arm it, and blow it up.. as you do it, you get in fights with the defenders, and you either succeed at blowing up the box or not. 
    Team Deathmatch was also included, which is also a simple kill-fest mode that, though used in the original IP Battlefield 1942, i firmly believe is not a true Battlefield mode. 

Here's why i'm not worried about those two modes: Conquest is still here, with its huge landscape and jets and 64 players. I can almost assure you that DICE do not dare water down that mode, and that they even still enjoy creating it. 
     You dislike Rush and TDM? So do I! Join me in a conquest game, it's gonna be the most popular mode i assure you. 

Now, when it comes to other COD-related concerns, like the focus on K/D Ratio (the ingame Tab menu doesnt even show teamwork points anymore..), the focus on guns and perks and gadgets.. Well, i view that as a natural evolution of the franchise. 
    Yes we might not like it, but it's not as bad as we think it is. The core gameplay is still here, conquest and vehicles and squads and spotting enemies and classes etc... It's all here. Worry not, the game is going to blow us away.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @Napalm said:
    @Dany said:

@Napalm said:

Because "highest selling" is a clear mark that they are some of the greatest videogames ever made.  You're an idiot.
    People care about them because they sell well, and they sell well because people care about them.

...nobody said anything about them being the greatest games ever.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By napalm
    @Dany said:

@Napalm said:

@Dany said:

@Napalm said:

I never said that. I was making fun. The genre is very stale and needs to make some improvements because in all honestly, things haven't changed since about 2007.

Hm. Well then, I love you and I am sorry for calling you a mean name. Friends?
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Donos

I enjoy COD.

Just throwing that out there...

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By Kazona

@Napalm said:

@Dany said:

@Napalm said:

@Dany said:

@Napalm said:

Hm. Well then, I love you and I am sorry for calling you a mean name. Friends?

Get a room!

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JCTango
    @B0nd07: Doh, forgot about that mod support thing... really hope they don't go through with that plan - they'll be alienating a lot of their fan base if they did.
    Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Cwaff

@mikey87144 said:

@emergency said:

No this was not some person. I read it from IGN.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/118/1182903p1.html

Implying that guy ign isn't just some guy who played the game? It's a fact there is some parts of full sections of the maps that are quite narrow.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game should be a PC only game I hate the fact that DICE feels the need to implement COD trash in there games BF is all about or was all about teamwork and strategy its not a arcade twitch shooter like COD.But theres no question I'm going to get BF3 conquest mode is all I care about I just hope they don't find a way to dumb it down they already got rid of commander ughh.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bicycleham

By twitch shooting you mean having decent reflexes? That kind of shooting dates all the way back to Quake. Not COD.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By Sogeman

*whine whine whine*

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xolare said:
    By twitch shooting you mean having decent reflexes? That kind of shooting dates all the way back to Quake. Not COD.
    It doesn't make much sense in any case. Just the aiming in BF feels a bit slower to me, and there's a lot more animation stuff in BF3 on top of that. Plus it takes a fair amount of bullets to kill a guy which means strategy will often overcome reflexes in a firefight. It's just a stupid topic based on a typically reactionary thought stemming from seeing one single section of one single map, informed by judgements already cast and the misconstruing of anything and everything that has been said to reinforce what seems like a twisted, palpable hope that the game is actually bad. 
    bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bicycleham
    @drag said:
    @Xolare said:
    It doesn't make much sense in any case. Just the aiming in BF feels a bit slower to me, and there's a lot more animation stuff in BF3 on top of that. Plus it takes a fair amount of bullets to kill a guy which means strategy will often overcome reflexes in a firefight. It's just a stupid topic based on a typically reactionary thought stemming from seeing one single section of one single map, informed by judgements already cast and the misconstruing of anything and everything that has been said to reinforce what seems like a twisted, palpable hope that the game is actually bad. 
    Most definitely. Spray and praying in most Battlefield games has only made sense in areas where it would make sense in real life. You wouldn't have enough time to aim down sights in something as close as a subway car or a small apartment. You'd either already have your sights up or you'd just spray. Preferably the former. Twitch shooting is just a stupid term for "I can't aim, press button down. Hope for best." I don't want to toot my own horn but I'm a pretty good all round Battlefield player on PC and with nearly anyone I play with they rarely go around without sighting in before shooting someone. It's almost 20% BF code of honor and 80% decent playing skills.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.