Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

PDW's or LMG's?

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WMWA

I'm more partial to LMG'S and being Support class, that makes sense to me. I see so many people playing support with PDW's though. Which, to me, seems counter intuitive to that class. ie. suppressing fire. Are they worth my time or are they mainly for people getting their CoD lone wolf fix in Battlefield 3?

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By sopranosfan

@wmaustin55: I personally can't hit the broadside of a barn with the LMGs but on certain maps having ammo laying around is really helpful so if not many people are dropping ammo I use support and a PDW but that is the only reason I even use support and is why it is my lowest point total of any class.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By WMWA

Yeah, I understand metro and nosahr and those maps. But it just seems there to facilitate lone wolfish tactics to me. That being said, I've got most of them unlocked, which is the best? Lol

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

The MP7 is my personal favourite of the PDW's, especially after the patch which buffed it's damage at medium range. With the extended mag and silencer you can kick arse on a close quarters map.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I've recently fallen in love with the Type 88. LMG's are so boss.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Canteu

LMG always. Why bother taking 2 PDW's? A pistol is basically identical to a PDW

Sadly the SAW is really the only viable LMG at the moment. Or at least it is the support classes "why take anything else when you can have this instead" gun.

One day I'll get my BC2 pre nerf M60 back...one day.

Conzed92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Conzed92

The standard SAW is fine! FINE! Haha :D I can't rap my head around the PDW's either...

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By big_jon

I am a big fan of LMG's though they do suck a lot of the time in this game.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SUPPRESSING

CHUGGA CHUGGA CHUGGA CHUGGA CHUGGA

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Seppli

Try bipod and 'DO NOT!' use optics. Set-up bipod. 'DON'T!' aim down sight. Use crosshairs. Most deadly emplacement in the game bar none.

Sidekick-Trio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Sidekick-Trio

Whenever I play support I go LMG. I'm not much for running around like a mad man, I actually like to setup over looking an objective and providing suppression support for people.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Akyho

I am ranking up my LMG's and if you want lone wolfeish stuff. G36MG with For grip does fine. You have plenty for suppression and plenty for fighting. The accuracy is fine for close combat. and still good medium.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mikemcn

M249 is my best gun, but the MP7 is close second, i love them both.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Beaudacious

PDW's are the best guns in the game, running with unlimited ammo also allows for CQC spray of a 50 bullet p90 magazine.

Suppression has been nerfed to shit since release, and its an absolute joke along side the suppression perk.

LMG's suck a suppression if you want to keep people down and scared 12g frags are a much better choice.

The low dmg of lmg's to compensate for large magazines makes them more of a joke.

Setting up with a bipod is useless since you'll get sniped 3 seconds later. ( In conquest)

I wanted to be able to plant my bipod down, and rain fear down from my perch. I was able to do so in Beta, but it full release you're just easy pray making a target of yourself.

Also anything more then a 3 bullet burst, and bullets start coming out at 90 degrees form your barrel.

My 1# gun with Support is the PDW-R with at 3.4x scope, no need to run an gun I'll snipe you fine camping like the whore i am. It has awesome balance from short to long, and is quick. My second gun is a usas-12 with fletched or 12g frags to lay down cover. Why would i use any of the clown guns known as lmgs?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Funkydupe

I really like a good shotgun in fps games, but I haven't found them effective in BF3. Maybe I should give them another try. They appear at least in my opinion to be very rare because of their inability to do well on medium/long range.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By swoxx

I don't think the LMG's were intended for running and gunning, they seem to be designed more to be bipodded and used to suppress / cover a sector, given their inaccuracy when fired from an unmounted position. So if you don't want to play like that, PDWs would be useful.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By RIDEBIRD

LMGs are pretty much useless unless you're laying down with bipod. Running around with LMGs is awful. Hopefully it should get better in the next patch, even though they don't seem to intend to fix the ridiculous spread on all LMGs.

QBB95 or what its called is the only one I've found works at all at close to mid range with foregrip. Still waayyyy too much spread on it to be anywhere near an assault rifle on any range.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By natetodamax

I used to be way into the M249 SAW. I think the PDWs are more fun to use than most of the LMGs, especially the PDW-R which is one of my favorite weapons in the game.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mikeeegeee

@Ertard said:

LMGs are pretty much useless unless you're laying down with bipod. Running around with LMGs is awful.

Which is how it shouldn't be, isn't it? These are huge fucking guns we're talking about here.

I have a love affair with the Type 88 that began with BC2. If you're doing it right, and perhaps more importantly, playing on hardcore, you become a nearly unstoppable force. Extended mag sees to it that you can take down 5-10 people before reloading. Can't beat that.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By RIDEBIRD

@mikeeegeee: Sure, you have a good point. I just love to play support and I love LMGs, but my playstyle is extremely mobile and I'm fast everywhere. Usually I get 3000+ more points as assault because of this, not to mention double the kills.

gpbmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By gpbmike

@AhmadMetallic said:

I've recently fallen in love with the Type 88. LMG's are so boss.

Many a death has been from Metallic's Type 88.

Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Aas

M249 all day, every day. Always be dumping.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23  Edited By damnboyadvance

The PKP-PECHENEG is a beast.  Get that gun in close combat, and just spray away. PDW's are decent weapons, especially if you're trying to score a bunch of points with a particular class. But if you are playing with the Support class, LMGs are the best way to go.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.