Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

Bad Company 2: Onslaught mode announced!

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

Edited By Jayross

May 12th, 2010 

DICE has announced that 5 million copies of Bad Company 2 have been sold world-wide, great news for EA and DICE, but let's get to the real news. 

Onslaught Mode

Onslaught mode is a co-op mode for up to 4 people. The mode supports the following maps: Valpariso, Atacama Desert, Isla Inocentes and Nelson Bay. The mode pitches the squad against AI enemies while you and your friends work to complete a variety of objectives. The maps are said to be "redesigned" with time of day, added vehicles, and new effects. 

Senior producer Patrick Bach had a few words to say about the upcoming mode: 

We want to consistently support the fans playing the game with new ways to get into multiplayer and also challenge the elite players with new experiences to improve their performance online. Effective squad play is the key to success in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 multiplayer and this new mode will provide players with a dedicated environment to test their team skills and rank against the competition.  

The announcement also comes with a new trailer: 

The mode will also have leaderboard support, and will be coming to Xbox Live and Playstation Network.
    Update 1: The PC situation for this looks grim, Bazajaytee of DICE explains why:

The problem we have on PC is that all our servers are dedicated with providers. Changing a server from Conquest 32 players to Onslaught 4 players cuts out 28 player slots from the total ammount available. This could have a dramatic affect on the PC online environment if enough servers changed to Onslaught.  

Update 2: The DLC has confirmed by Bazajaytee to not be free. (http://bit.ly/9jaxDX)

Follow me on twitter, or on Giantbomb for updates.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jayross

May 12th, 2010 

DICE has announced that 5 million copies of Bad Company 2 have been sold world-wide, great news for EA and DICE, but let's get to the real news. 

Onslaught Mode

Onslaught mode is a co-op mode for up to 4 people. The mode supports the following maps: Valpariso, Atacama Desert, Isla Inocentes and Nelson Bay. The mode pitches the squad against AI enemies while you and your friends work to complete a variety of objectives. The maps are said to be "redesigned" with time of day, added vehicles, and new effects. 

Senior producer Patrick Bach had a few words to say about the upcoming mode: 

We want to consistently support the fans playing the game with new ways to get into multiplayer and also challenge the elite players with new experiences to improve their performance online. Effective squad play is the key to success in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 multiplayer and this new mode will provide players with a dedicated environment to test their team skills and rank against the competition.  

The announcement also comes with a new trailer: 

The mode will also have leaderboard support, and will be coming to Xbox Live and Playstation Network.
    Update 1: The PC situation for this looks grim, Bazajaytee of DICE explains why:

The problem we have on PC is that all our servers are dedicated with providers. Changing a server from Conquest 32 players to Onslaught 4 players cuts out 28 player slots from the total ammount available. This could have a dramatic affect on the PC online environment if enough servers changed to Onslaught.  

Update 2: The DLC has confirmed by Bazajaytee to not be free. (http://bit.ly/9jaxDX)

Follow me on twitter, or on Giantbomb for updates.
    Dejkrigeren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Dejkrigeren

This is why listen servers would have been nice.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By VanderSEXXX

Well I guess one of us could write a suggestion to DICE to enable the ability to host a game locally from you own PC rather than dedicated but strictly for this and this new mode only? :D This looks fun and its a shame cause Im playing this on a PC. :D

Visari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Visari

Any words on how much it will cost? Looks great though

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Ineedaname

4 players local hosting wouldn't be terrible.

I'd take that if it's what they had to do.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jayross
    @Visari: no pricing or dates have been announced yet.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c86670f38adc
    deactivated-5c86670f38adc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think it's a great idea and it sounds like terrific fun, but I'm not liking the prospects of the PC getting it. Frankly, I don't think it's going to be so addicting as to cause most of the community to switch over. The longevity of this gamemode seems short.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jayross

There was one scene in the trailer that showed a helicopter firing missiles at a tank. If one the levels allows for players to fly helicopters and rack up kills on AI people, I could see myself enjoying it quite a bit.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Tennmuerti

Meh, I have to say not really interested in this mode.
    It seems to be trying to mimic spec ops from MW2 to some degree, and while that was cool and I enjoyed the hell out of it with my brother at the time, it's not really what I want from BFBC2. Not going to be playing it even if it comes to PC.

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By simian

At first I thought this was just another 'survival' mode but reading more it sounds like it could be interesting at the very least.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By zombie2011

I just want new maps. 

TorgoGrooves89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TorgoGrooves89
    @zombie2011 said:
    "I just want new maps.  "

Pretty much this. I've never been that into co-op to be honest and would much rather they just work at improving the multiplayer.
    s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By s7evn

I would be stoked for this, but I have the PC version so unless they bring it there this doesn't affect me. 

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jeffsekai

Awesome!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By Seppli

Sweet.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
    weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By weegieanawrench
    @Jayross:  Is there a chance that this is part of the VIP package?
    M4_Carmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By M4_Carmine
    @Visari said:
    "Any words on how much it will cost? Looks great though "

well since DICE and Ea are like one of the coolest game companys out there either free or a nice 400 MS points I'd take either of them BFBC2 is such a great game.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Seppli said:
    " Sweet. "
    I hope it comes out on PS3 the same time it comes out on 360. It looks like it would be like horde mode. 
    Camurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Camurai

This could get me back into bc2

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Seppli
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Seppli said:
    " Sweet. "
    I hope it comes out on PS3 the same time it comes out on 360. It looks like it would be like horde mode.  "
    I guess it's more like Rush mode against a tons of AI soldiers. Wonder if it's gonna be any good.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Seppli said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Seppli said:
    " Sweet. "
    I hope it comes out on PS3 the same time it comes out on 360. It looks like it would be like horde mode.  "
    I guess it's more like Rush mode against a tons of AI soldiers. Wonder if it's gonna be any good. "
    Any ideas of release date? It would revive my want to play the game. And sort of make it better about PS3 not getting the Dr.Pepper stuff. 
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Seppli

I wonder what the pricetag will be. I'll be buying regardless, since I'm a sucker for Battlefield... I hope it won't be more than 800 MSP. 

Also - choppers are sooo 2009. It's 2010 now. The decade of big ass boats has begun! Eat rockets from my yacht - punks!

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Seppli said:
    " I wonder what the pricetag will be. I'll be buying regardless, since I'm a sucker for Battlefield... I hope it won't be more than 800 MSP.  Also - choppers are sooo 2009. It's 2010 now. The decade of big ass boats has begun! Eat rockets from my yacht - punks! "
    Might be a VIP thingy. 
    SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SammydesinasNL
    @Seppli said:
    "I wonder what the pricetag will be. I'll be buying regardless, since I'm a sucker for Battlefield... I hope it won't be more than 800 MSP.  Also - choppers are sooo 2009. It's 2010 now. The decade of big ass boats has begun! Eat rockets from my yacht - punks! "

Hopefully they bring back more from the previous battlefields. 

Also, would de kits of enemies be random? Will we be able to change some settings (besides map and hardcore)? There's a few things that should be done to bring this to it's full potential.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jayross
    @weegieanawrench: there is always a chance, but I am guessing it will be paid. Maps are free, game-modes are paid. 

@The_Laughing_Man: the Dr. Pepper stuff has been released on PS3 in Europe. North America should be next, I'll let you guys know when that happens.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Jayross said:
    " @weegieanawrench: there is always a chance, but I am guessing it will be paid. Maps are free, game-modes are paid. 

@The_Laughing_Man: the Dr. Pepper stuff has been released on PS3 in Europe. North America should be next, I'll let you guys know when that happens. "
    Someone said PS3 in U.S pulled out of the Dr.Pepper code thing.  

And if this is a horde mode. Id pay for it. 
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jayross
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Jayross said:
    " Update 2: The DLC will not be free.  http://bit.ly/9jaxDX "
    That is a man of many words...I...am speechless *lol* 
    Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gruff182

Boo, doesn't sound that great. Looks like it's not coming to PC anyway... So no loss, I guess.

I'd pay for Titan Mode, however. Even if it doesn't make sense with the setting.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By Donos

Ehh... I'm not particularly psyched about this. Squad vs AI kinda misses everything I like about Battlefield. You lose the literal battlefield, since theres only a handful of players on your team, and because of the AI you lose the stealth aspect I like about the pvp squad modes. I can see someone having fun with this, but it won't be me.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By JP_Russell

I'm generally all for coop, but given how bad the AI is in BC2 (and every other Battlefield game ever made), this mode doesn't really intrigue me all that much (though it may not matter, seeing as I play on PC).  I mean, if you think about it...  this is basically like starting a coop bot match in BF2/2142, but with no bots on your side, and if the AI is as ridiculously deadeyed as it is in BC2's single player, it'll just be that much worse.  Unless this game mode ends up being way better than I'm thinking it will be in terms of AI, I anticipate a lot of console players will feel ripped off after buying it, personally.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jayross

I am not going to be quick to judge, this mode has potential, surely you can't deny that killing waves of enemies with your friends in a blackhawk or apache doesn't sound fun?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Tennmuerti

If this is something like Spec ops then it would be cool.
    If it's closer to Horde then not so cool.
    To me at least.
    Ah whatever, it's not coming to PC anyway plus costs extra.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Seppli
    @Donos said:

" Ehh... I'm not particularly psyched about this. Squad vs AI kinda misses everything I like about Battlefield. You lose the literal battlefield, since theres only a handful of players on your team, and because of the AI you lose the stealth aspect I like about the pvp squad modes. I can see someone having fun with this, but it won't be me. "

Why shouldn't it be fun? Co-op rocks almost in every shooter that has it. I enjoy BF:BC 2's weapons, gadgets, vehicles, ballistics, destruction - the general feel of the game a lot more than other comparable games. Could be great fun, if it's done well. Looking quite forward to it. Loved the co-op of Uncharted 2 - certainly more than its competitive online multiplayer portion. If BF:BC 2's co-op is anything like it, it will rock my boat. Hope matchmaking is good and quick too. I would have played a lot more of Uncharted 2's co-op, if it there wasn't  that long waiting times for suitable players usually.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.