Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

BFBC2 PC beta impressions

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Evilmetal

What are your impressions of the PC beta of BFBC2? 

What I noticed: 

-Has some lag issues that ruins gameplay. 
     -The first server I connected to put me on the Russian side. So I was using AEK rifle. Our side one, attackers, and then the next round I was switched to defenders(American side) 
           What I don't understand is that both sides use the same guns? I was American side and using Russian weapons... it seemed weird. Maybe I missed a detail.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Evilmetal

I got the key for free from http://www.fileplay.net/

and I used a mirror from http://techpowerup.com to get the client... I was getting it at over a megabyte per second... http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1747/Battlefield:_Bad_Company_2_Beta_Client.html

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MrKlorox
    The guns are the same because the guns are to be unlocked for your personal pool. You're not limited to what each 'side' has available. Think of it as team 'US' versus team 'THEM' -- not Russia versus America.

@Evilmetal said in his second consecutive post:

" Edited 16 minutes ago  "

Woah! They fixed the inability to edit either post if you post two in a row and nobody has posted a followup! Thanks GB/Whickey Media site staff for not writing it off as an 'anti-spam feature' like the mods told me.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By sodiumCyclops

beta is at 83%, have heard there are a lot of bad framerate issues

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrKlorox

I dislike that there is no way to choose toggle/hold for things like sprint crouch and sights.

I also dislike that the game actually makes it past loading 17,500MB only once out of every 15 to 20 times I try to launch it. And once it does launch, you have can only join a game by clicking "play now" (or crash) and then you have to try that another 10 or more times before getting into one of the limited, ultra packed beta servers.

But fuck the one game I played as defender was fun and I rose to the top of the board without even realizing it. Points everywhere!

fallen_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By fallen_elite

- crashes on server browser 
    - laggy 
    - low framerate

+ amazing gameplay

That's my conclusion thus far. I might also buy it on PS3. I was really surprised with how fun it was on PS3.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Evilmetal

Without the lag I think it will be interesting. There's no prone though. Prone allowed you to lay low and hide in cover, it allowed for some interesting sniper spots. But even with the crouch in BC2, I didn't see the ability to toggle crouch.... I don't want to hold the crouch button. They should allow a toggle key for crouch since no prone in this version. This way I can stay crouched for as long as I want. It's stupid that the default stance is standing; you don't stand in a battlefield, you stay low........... 

You cannot name your squads. So there will not be any fancy/humorous named squads. They just have the standard names for squads like delta, foxtrot, hotel, etc... They are already made squads but are empty until you join. You hit the enter key, while in game, and you see a menu for the management of it. You are able to spawn on living members of the squad.

I thought there was too much arc on the tank rounds, it's reaching the level of bf1942. I don't think there was as much tank round drop BF2 as there is in BC2. However distances in BC2 may be larger than BF2... I'll observe this in the future again to see.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By baconbits33
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " beta is at 83%, have heard there are a lot of bad framerate issues "
    Does this really ruin the gameplay? Plus I'm betting they'll fix it at one point.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrKlorox
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    I forgot to launch fraps before the game, the one time I got in, and I had everything on max (high) @ 1080p with no AA and it only got noticebly framey when there was a lot of soft particle debris. Sure the whole experience was a sub 60 frame experience, but it looked as smooth as any footage of the console versions, which makes is smooth enough for me. I might lower the resolution a notch to see how that goes, but for now I can't get back into a game without frustration. Downloading the 360 demo now.

For those who do not know, I run Q9550 C2Q on Vista 32 with 3GB DDR2 using two 9800GTX+ @ 512MB.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrKlorox

Lack of Prone is no problem for me. But hold crouch/sprint and toggle aim certainly are.

edit: 
    @MrKlorox said:

Woah! They fixed the inability to edit either post if you post two in a row and nobody has posted a followup! Thanks GB/Whickey Media site staff for not writing it off as an 'anti-spam feature' like the mods told me. "
    I repeat, fuck yeah!
    Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Evilmetal

Oh the idea is like team 'US' vs team 'THEM' ? 

So then BC2 is more 'arcade-ish' than BF2. It would be nice if each side had their own different weapons. So the Russians would start off with Russian weapons and the American side would start off with American weapons. This way when you hear the gun fire, you can identify friend or foe... to an extent, unless the enemy picks up you side's weapons. That's part of a strategy. But seeing that EA doesn't have the game setup in this manor, I think it's starting to become clear that BC2 is more casual style of game. 

It would be like in BF1942... if you spawn as Nazi... you spawn with Thomson or garand... it's like what the heck?

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @Evilmetal said:
    " Oh the idea is like team 'US' vs team 'THEM' ?   So then BC2 is more 'arcade-ish' than BF2. It would be nice if each side had their own different weapons. So the Russians would start off with Russian weapons and the American side would start off with American weapons. This way when you hear the gun fire, you can identify friend or foe... to an extent, unless the enemy picks up you side's weapons. That's part of a strategy. But seeing that EA doesn't have the game setup in this manor, I think it's starting to become clear that BC2 is more casual style of game.   It would be like in BF1942... if you spawn as Nazi... you spawn with Thomson or garand... it's like what the heck? "
    You still have the Russian and American vehicles, which I think are more noticeable than what gun a person has.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Evilmetal said:
    " It would be like in BF1942... if you spawn as Nazi... you spawn with Thomson or garand... it's like what the heck? "
    You obviously haven't played BF1943. :P

And yes this is a more casual game. That's why BF3 was announced before anybody got to play BC2: To clarify that the classic "PC Battlefield" experience is not gone forever, but also that BC2 isn't the same continuation of BF's past.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By JoelTGM

I've got the steam version and it won't let me launch the game through steam, but I can launch it from the steamapps folder, but can't log into EA servers.  Pretty disappointing day.

nismo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nismo

Anyone getting a terrible graphic glitch?? I would screen shot it but that does seem to work..

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kermoosh

played it on the 360, sure there were some bugs and lag issures but i thought it was awsome

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Still can't get into a server.

"Connection to the game server is lost. Please check your network connection and try again."

Over and over.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Zatoichi_Sanjuro: We all have. Keep trying and after a number of attempts (possibly through crashes or immediate kicks), you'll find a game and be able to stay until another crash or you idle too long.
    Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Evilmetal

I haven't played BF1943 yet. :) 

Anyway.. after finding a stable BC2 server, fun was had. Seems like a decent game.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RsistncE

This game is fucking incredible. It's every bit the game I wanted it to be. From what I've played this is the Uncharted 2 of military inspired multiplayer FPS'. Of course keep in mind the beta has worked fairly well for me (besides the widespread server browser crash error, but everyone has that right now). I'll probably make a detailed blog post with pics from my games in a day or so but so far from what I've played, it's been absolutely awesome, and incredibly fun.

BTW I'm running at high settings, 1680x1050 at a framerate that is high enough that I don't see any slowdown. My system is a C2Q6600 (2.4 ghz), 2 GB DDR2, 9800GX2 all on XP. I am very surprised at how well the game is running.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrKlorox
    @RsistncE: Yeah, I can't wait. But playing the same map/mode for another month will be murder.

Also do you find you run it better in DX10 or DX9? (Documents\BFBC2Beta\settings.ini ... change auto to 9 or 10) I have two 9800 GXT+ cards so we're in a similar graphically capable ballpark.

Bloom should be kept off at all costs in dx10. Too friggin white.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Binman88

Just got my beta key in my inbox, loading up now :D

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @Evilmetal said:
    "Oh the idea is like team 'US' vs team 'THEM' ?   So then BC2 is more 'arcade-ish' than BF2. It would be nice if each side had their own different weapons. So the Russians would start off with Russian weapons and the American side would start off with American weapons. This way when you hear the gun fire, you can identify friend or foe... to an extent, unless the enemy picks up you side's weapons. That's part of a strategy. But seeing that EA doesn't have the game setup in this manor, I think it's starting to become clear that BC2 is more casual style of game.   It would be like in BF1942... if you spawn as Nazi... you spawn with Thomson or garand... it's like what the heck? "

its like a COD game you unlock weapons why do the marines in cod us AK 47s? its just cause you unlock stuff
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By mosdl

btw, be sure to download the new update and use the server browser and choose US based servers (if you are in the US) - clicking play now somtimes gets me european ones which not so good pings.

Thewit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Thewit

As many mentioned the lags and graphical glitches I'll talk about the actual game-play.

Few things really get on my mind such as why on earth cant I prone.....this is a shooter and believe it or not taking, cover is one of the most impotent things to keep in mind while you take fire not just who shoots first.
    Another thing is that same BF2 shooting mechanism, basically you spray you miss and the range doesn't matter that much. Even when you use a god  damn machine gun from a meter and you hold the trigger too long the bullet seem to fly 90 degrees to the place you are aiming.
    Also where why am  I forced to be on full auto and cant switch to semi automatic fire mode. And lets not talk about the fact you cant really lean but that's a minor detail  since cover is now plenty thanks to the destruction and the environment.

Don't get me wrong , I like the game but some times it really feels fucked up but the things i mentioned above are essential and must be fixed. 

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheMustacheHero

What I noticed: It's really really unoptimized and buggy.

Took 3 hours to download and 5 minutes to delete.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Daryl

Having no problems on the 360 side of things. 

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rehehelly
    @TheMustacheHero said:

" What I noticed: It's really really unoptimized and buggy.  Took 3 hours to download and 5 minutes to delete. "

It's a beta.

I'm finding the game alright, red dot sight looks horrible though, could be because i'm on low settings but it seriously looks like someone has just drawn a circle in paint and stuck it there. 
    ..and it's not really fun when the attackers are all recon (Although, seeing the first site(pretty much) completely demolished makes the map really different..)

oh, and knifing is really, really dodgy. I've got kills by knifing the wall but apparently I knifed the guy to my side
    marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29  Edited By marlow83
    @Daryl said:
    " Having no problems on the 360 side of things.  "
    Same here
    ColMirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ColMirage
    @Daryl said:
    @kermoosh said:
    " played it on the 360, sure there were some bugs and lag issures but i thought it was awsome "

Refer to Thread Title. <_<
    Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Daryl
    @ColMirage said:
    " @Daryl said:  
    @kermoosh said:
    " played it on the 360, sure there were some bugs and lag issures but i thought it was awsome "
     Refer to Thread Title. <_< "
    Just saying I'm having no problems on the 360 so it might be a PC thang.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jmrwacko
    @baconbits33 said:
    " @sodiumCyclops said:
    Does this really ruin the gameplay? Plus I'm betting they'll fix it at one point. "
    Yes, it does. I sometimes sink to 20 fps in firefights, regardless of graphics settings. It makes the game unplayable on occasion. Also, the controls are clunky, which I suspect has to do with CPU lag.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Marz

no prone, makes me just not want to buy it anymore.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Ryax

my impressions are that its going to be a great game. but the beta has a lot of problems. which is to be expected. but its fun and i cant wait. my biggest problem is the low framerate

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Ryax said:
    " my impressions are that its going to be a great game. but the beta has a lot of problems. which is to be expected. but its fun and i cant wait. my biggest problem is the low framerate "
    It won't be a great game if they don't fix the framerate issue. Here's to hoping they do, because I should be able to play this game on max settings with the hardware I've got.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Ryax
    @jmrwacko: touche  but i you look at the sky, there is no frame rate problems. soooo the looking at the sky part is pretty great. best sky looking ive ever done
    No Caption Provided
    besides this
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Demo on XBL is awesome, minus some jankyness. 

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Evilmetal

-looking at someone fire the AEK971 and I see the shells eject from the left side, but they should eject from right side 

-jihad buggies! ... they're practically unstoppable :D 

-evil teammates can c4 your A and B spots, thus helping you lose faster...

t0ykiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By t0ykiller

I'm having a blast with the beta, excluding the first day it went live and kept crashing, but since then its been pretty smooth, and the sound in the game is incredible. I havn't had any framerate issues, (running on intel core 2 duo 3ghz, 2g ram, gtx260, vista 32bit), settings set to high, 1280x1024. I was worried about performance when I checked out the requirements and people talkin about quad core mumbo jumbo. I've already max'd out my rank and unlocked all I could, my only gripes so far is how sometimes enemies could act like bullet sponges, requiring almost my entire clip to kill, and the fact that the objectives A & B can be damaged by friendly fire. But all in all pretty fun experience, ill probably hop back in now! :)

Mu5hy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mu5hy

I just hit the level cap (11) and unlocked almost everything except medic class.  First day lag / crash issues were annoying, and the lag is still an issue.  But I think one of the main purposes of the beta is to look at network  infrastructure.  When you get in a nice stable server with no lag, game is really fun.
    @t0ykiller said:

"

my only gripes so far is how sometimes enemies could act like bullet sponges, requiring almost my entire clip to kill,

"
    That.
    @t0ykiller said:
    "

and the fact that the objectives A & B can be damaged by friendly fire.

"
    Also don't like when there's squad of leveled up snipers a mile away calling in mortar strikes to the objectives/destroying the crates.

Its hard to judge(because of the lag issues and it being a beta) what is most important to me which is how responsive the hit boxes are and just overall how the infantry v  infantry combat is.  I always felt that was the weakest part of BF2 and the rest of the game eventually became unappealing to me because of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.