Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

Does anybody use their mics in the game?

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#1  Edited By citizenkane

I finally got Bad Company 2 this weekend and for a little while I have been playing the multiplayer everybody seems to praise to God about.  I have notices one thing absent: nobody talks on a mic.  Granted I have only played a weekends worth of this game, but so far not one person and talked on a mic.  Modern Warfare has more mic chatter that this game does.  I came in thinking that since is a tactical shooter(or so people say) people would use mics to coordinate efforts, but apparently the opposite is the case.

Am I just having bad luck or do people not use mics in this game?  I am on Xbox 360, by the way.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Most people don't use their mics. It sucks.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Vorbis

100% of the time, I love that the VC is squad only.

aTeddyBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By aTeddyBear

Play with giant bomb people.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Karl_Boss

Only when I'm playing with my brother or my friends.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By bicycleham

People don't even use their Mics on the PC. Instead they just type. In all chat. Yes, people type out tactics in all chat.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By meteora

Almost never do randoms talk to me. I think I've only seen 1-2 strangers play over the span of my playtime. I'm ranked like... 28 or something.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By LiquidS

I'm on the PS3 and its rare to hear anyone with a mic, I don't use mine as no one else are using them.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mmmslash

Just play with friends. The game is exponentially better that way, and then you can make voice chat a gurantee.

Alternatively, play with us Bombers, we're sexy.

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Drizzle

Sad but true for a game that requires communication on a tactical level to achieve success , on the contrary i'm a very avid mic user so if your interested in getting a GB squad going my GT is The_Drizzle09

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By agentboolen
    @CitizenKane: Yep thanks to Microsoft adding a party feature no body ever talks in the in game channel anymore!!!  The ironic part is they called that feature a "party", far as i'm concerned the in game channel felt more like a party then the "party channel", just for the fact that you could easily meet new gamers that way.  Now all you do is either invite or get invited to a party from your friends.  Its nice for people that have a lot of friends while there playing but sometimes it can be a bit boring.
    SilentCommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SilentCommando
    @aTeddyBear said:
    " Play with giant bomb people. "
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

There's not really much that needs to be said on a mic, as the spotting system in this works pretty well. 

Nonetheless, I don't use any mics because I've got my three other squadmates sitting right next to me whenever I'm playing BC2.  = D 

The luxuries of working at a gaming center...

JOURN3Y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JOURN3Y

There aren't many people who use mics, its really hit or miss.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hourai

I've stopped using mine because when I do I'm essentially talking to myself, as everyone else is either shy or lacking a mic. 

I also have a bad experience from other games with people making fun of my Canadian accent :(

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Drizzle

That or people that do use mics tend to act akin to MW2 players that constantly say racial slurs and make lackluster attempts at telling other teammates where they should be and what they should be doing

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @Hourai said:
    "  I've stopped using mine because when I do I'm essentially talking to myself, as everyone else is either shy or lacking a mic.     I also have a bad experience from other games with people making fun of my Canadian accent :( "
    You either must be from out West, the Ottawa Valley or the Atlantic provinces.
    Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hourai
    @FrankCanada97 said:
    " @Hourai said:
    "  I've stopped using mine because when I do I'm essentially talking to myself, as everyone else is either shy or lacking a mic.     I also have a bad experience from other games with people making fun of my Canadian accent :( "
    You either must be from out West, the Ottawa Valley or the Atlantic provinces. "
    A couple hours from Vancouver. I didn't think I had an accent until I started using a mic, and then it became "Dude, you're pronouncing that wrong!" and "Are you Canadian?".
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hamz
    I see where you're coming from but arguably both MW2 and BFBC2 do the same exact thing, they have a minimap and allow you in some way to locate enemy positions on that minimap and have the enemy appear briefly. That provides as much of a tactical advantage to your team as is needed. As both games openly advertise where the objectives are and in MW2's case you can't get lost on the maps since they are smaller anyway. In something like TF2's case I can see a need to voice the odd tactical remark over the mic, sometime letting your team know the enemy has a Sentry gun in a corner helps avoid a massacre.

Voice chat doesn't make a game more tactical. People should be able to observe how the rest of their team behave and follow suit. In other words if all your dudes are heading one way then you don't go in the opposite direction you bloody follow them and help out where needed.

In all my time with MW2, BFBC2, KZ2 and UC2 I rarely heard people use their mic except for the start and end of a match. During a match they did what all players should do, focus on playing the game and not being focused more on chatting. Because frankly I don't want to know about your day or hear you make racist remarks or tell me there's a guy behind a crate because that doesn't help me in a level full of bloody crates! 

P.S. - CK I <3 U :D
    The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Drizzle
    @Hamz said:
    "  Voice chat doesn't make a game more tactical. People should be able to observe how the rest of their team behave and follow suit. In other words if all your dudes are heading one way then you don't go in the opposite direction you bloody follow them and help out where needed.  "
    I'm sorry sir but your giving the majority of the players the benefit of the doubt here, 50% of players play as recon attempting to show off their L33T k/d ratio, and the other 50% are bought into the fact that they can indeed fly a helicopter for more then 30 secs without driving the nose into the ground
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#21  Edited By citizenkane
    @SilentCommando said:
    " @aTeddyBear said:
    " Play with giant bomb people. "
    "
    I'll make sure to catch the next Bombing Rub on Friday.  :)
    fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By fugie7

well i use my mic all the time during battlefield games with different people or with friends.

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lilbigsupermario

I'm shy to use the mic...I don't want my squadmates to hear me swearing a lot when I get killed :D

But seriously, yeah I think it is a great advantage to actually use the mic and talk with your squadmates, but this doesn't happen very often.  Even if there are people who use their mics, most of them just talk about stuff not even related to the game or they just complain saying that everyone's an idiot.  Maybe it just happens in BFBC2, not sure.

IMHO, it's not really that bad that no one in your squad is using the mic.  The classes give you actual roles so you SHOULD already know what to do for your squad based on your class, like give ammo for assault, revive people as medic, spot enemies as recon, etc.  As for the teamwork itself, it's basic that you should stick together, spot enemies as you see them, one advances as another checks the back for any flanking, just simply playing smart on your own with your team.  And besides, the select button (or back button for x360) can already do a lot for the team, simple method to communicate.  Rather than telling your squadmate, "Enemy on the roof of the brick building..." and your squadmate respons, "Which brick building?", then just press select or back button to spot the enemy, done. :)

But for hardcore, it's a different scenario.  Mics are a definite advantage. :)

Edit: But I also do believe that games become more FUN if people use mics.  It makes you feel you're not playing alone. ;)

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ket87

I played with the first person ever who had a mic in my squad yesterday and low and behold he was 12 shouting orders at everyone and being more of a nuisance than helpful.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hitchenson

Sure, I use my mic. To talk to my party of friends however.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By swamplord666

the only place i've seen the mic used properly and tactically in a game was mag. it was awesome (rented the game) 
    I really need to buy it...

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ToxicFruit

I use it on vent while I am playing the game with friends

AngelKore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AngelKore

All the time. Then again, I only play Bad Company 2 with friends who have microphones, but it definitely makes the game so much better when you co-ordinate with your squad mates.
    Perhaps get a few friends to get some mic's?

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JokerSmilez

I've found that most randoms don't use mics unless you do first (and even then, it's uncommon). People are shy. Get on the mic and start talking, telling people where baddies are, which objective to take, if you need heals, etc. and usually within a game or two, you'll have a couple other people in your squad coming out of their shell.

If you play with people from your friends list, it's a lot better. Try and stick to that if you can.

Sh4ft3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sh4ft3d

My mike croaked on me. So not anymore.

Sh4ft3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sh4ft3d
    @CitizenKane:
    Bombing Rub? Gotta get me some of that.
    The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Drizzle

I would like to try and put together more bombing runs which aren't just designated to friday, i don't know about everyone else but with work and school its hard to allot a specific time on a certain day to say "hey got on this time on this day or you miss out", just a thought

GovJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GovJR
    @JokerSmilez:
    This is exactly right -- I've noticed if I talk first that everyone else starts to warm up and talk back.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.