Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

Fussy spotting mechanic?

tyfighter57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By tyfighter57

Anyone else have trouble getting the back/select button "spotting" to work?   
    I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, or there are restrictions on it that I don't know about, but I'll be looking directly at a guy about mid-distance away, hammering on the back button to no avail. 
    Maybe its just lag?  I seem to remember the spotting system working perfectly whenever I played the demo.  Or maybe its just me. 

(edit) Sorry, I should be more clear, it doesn't NEVER work for me, there are just times when I know I should be able to spot someone and the game won't do it.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jmrwacko

Different guns have different spotting differences, I think. As a sniper, I tend to be able to spot much farther away than as an assault class.

tyfighter57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tyfighter57

Alright, I'm sorry to be the guy who makes a thread asking a question a google search can solve, but I drudged up a list of changes DICE made to the beta before the final build, and found some interesting notes on spotting.  I'll try and redeem myself by at least sharing my results:     

Added an overheat to spotting to prevent spot and order spamming.
    Spotting now requires the player be aiming significantly closer to the target.  

So, spotting is just much harder, and can't be done as often now.  Pretty sure that explains why it wasn't working for me like it did in the beta; I was spamming that button whenever I had a chance, because it'd usually end up hitting one or two guys.  As someone who sucks, I liked that...but I can understand why they changed it. :) 

So, uh...what do you guys think?  Was it more useful and handy during the beta, or in the final game?
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By meteora
    @TyFighter said:
    " Alright, I'm sorry to be the guy who makes a thread asking a question a google search can solve, but I drudged up a list of changes DICE made to the beta before the final build, and found some interesting notes on spotting.  I'll try and redeem myself by at least sharing my results:     

So, spotting is just much harder, and can't be done as often now.  Pretty sure that explains why it wasn't working for me like it did in the beta; I was spamming that button whenever I had a chance, because it'd usually end up hitting one or two guys.  As someone who sucks, I liked that...but I can understand why they changed it. :)  So, uh...what do you guys think?  Was it more useful and handy during the beta, or in the final game? "
    It was definitely more useful in the beta since you could spam it. But because of that, it pretty much was a "cheap" tactic. Kinda made actually looking for people redundant. =P It was indefinitely useful when your entire team is holding on bottleneck route and spam the spot to locate targets.

Though its still viable and useful in the final build. Definitely makes the sniper rifle and scoped attachments more useful since you can't spam it nearly as much.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Meteora said:
    " @TyFighter said:
    " Alright, I'm sorry to be the guy who makes a thread asking a question a google search can solve, but I drudged up a list of changes DICE made to the beta before the final build, and found some interesting notes on spotting.  I'll try and redeem myself by at least sharing my results:     

So, spotting is just much harder, and can't be done as often now.  Pretty sure that explains why it wasn't working for me like it did in the beta; I was spamming that button whenever I had a chance, because it'd usually end up hitting one or two guys.  As someone who sucks, I liked that...but I can understand why they changed it. :)  So, uh...what do you guys think?  Was it more useful and handy during the beta, or in the final game? "
    It was definitely more useful in the beta since you could spam it. But because of that, it pretty much was a "cheap" tactic. Kinda made actually looking for people redundant. =P It was indefinitely useful when your entire team is holding on bottleneck route and spam the spot to locate targets.  Though its still viable and useful in the final build. Definitely makes the sniper rifle and scoped attachments more useful since you can't spam it nearly as much. "
    Didn't Jeff say there was a special "spotting scope" too that auto-spots? Seems like that scope would be much more useful now.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By meteora
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Meteora said:
    " @TyFighter said:

It was definitely more useful in the beta since you could spam it. But because of that, it pretty much was a "cheap" tactic. Kinda made actually looking for people redundant. =P It was indefinitely useful when your entire team is holding on bottleneck route and spam the spot to locate targets.  Though its still viable and useful in the final build. Definitely makes the sniper rifle and scoped attachments more useful since you can't spam it nearly as much. "
    Didn't Jeff say there was a special "spotting scope" too that auto-spots? Seems like that scope would be much more useful now. "
    I don't recall, but I do notice there was a special spotting thing for the sniper rifle, so I'd assume that would be the case.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By MrKlorox

Yep it's totally fussy on both 360 and PC for me.

Sometimes I can't issue orders which makes the spot function also stop.

Downandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Downandout

I'm pretty sure if you've spotted someone aswell and you try to spot someone else and it misses 3 times all your current spots will be erased its stupid as hell.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Relys

Relevent.

http://www.ximhub.com/index.php?topic=105.msg446#new

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By spacetrucking
    I prefer the new spot mechanic, the old one was very easy to abuse. Spotting alone could earn you +1000 points during the beta and that always felt a little off to me.

@JJWeatherman
    said:
    Didn't Jeff say there was a special "spotting scope" too that auto-spots? Seems like that scope would be much more useful now. "
    You're right. But it's a high level Recon-only gadget and takes a looooooong time to unlock. But once you get it, I bet you can just sit back and keep seeing the "+20 Spot Assist" on your screen.

@Downandout said:
    " I'm pretty sure if you've spotted someone aswell and you try to spot someone else and it misses 3 times all your current spots will be erased its stupid as hell. "
    Are you sure it's not just an auto-expire ? The spotted targets are so only for a few seconds. I don't remember exactly how long but a "spot" will only last for 15 secs or so.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Jayross

I am sure DICE 'nerfed' it since the demo, it is pretty finicky now, and there seems to be a cooldown now...

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Killjoi said:

" I prefer the new spot mechanic, the old one was very easy to abuse. Spotting alone could earn you +1000 points during the beta and that always felt a little off to me. "

Since there are two betas that were quite different, you should probably clarify which beta you're talking about. I'm pretty certain it's the PS3 beta since the PC beta wasn't like that.
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Donos

The problem I have with this new system is that there's an invisible overheat, combined with an invisible cooldown, combined with an invisible range limit. Basically, Ill see someone, try to spot them, fail due to a range I dont know, mash the button  since I can't tell if the person is out of range or not, hit the invisible overheat after an unknown number of presses, and be unable to spot for I don't know how long.

@Killjoi said:

@Downandout said:

" I'm pretty sure if you've spotted someone aswell and you try to spot someone else and it misses 3 times all your current spots will be erased its stupid as hell. "
    Are you sure it's not just an auto-expire ? The spotted targets are so only for a few seconds. I don't remember exactly how long but a "spot" will only last for 15 secs or so. "
    They definitely just auto-expire, but its usually after 3-4 seconds rather than 15.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Donos said:
    " They definitely just auto-expire, but its usually after 3-4 seconds rather than 15. "
    It depends on how long you keep them in sight also. I just wish the cooldown didn't affect the squad orders.
    Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I was looking at a tank about 50 feet away from me and it wouldn't let me spot it even though I was hammering the back button.

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lilbigsupermario

i think the new spotting limits are great! at least it prevents spamming spotters to actually ruin the game, now it's more tactical for teams to make effective use of spotting targets

Bindings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bindings1

I love the new spotting system. I really get frustrated when I see someone but can't spot them because I have used the spotting system too much. I think it makes it more rewarding when you get a spot assist. So I love the frustration it gives me a stronger drive to kill everyone

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By big_jon

Yeah spotting is messed up.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Seppli

Spotting works like this... 

As long as you spot something, you can keep on spotting. If you fail to spot something, then there's a cooldown timer of a couple of seconds. 

And yes - different kits/guns have different spotting ranges and fields. 

Personally, spotting was overly useful in the beta and demo builds and was subject to abuse. It isn't anymore.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By ImperiousRix

@Seppli said:

"Spotting works like this...  As long as you spot something, you can keep on spotting. If you fail to spot something, then there's a cooldown timer of a couple of seconds.  And yes - different kits/guns have different spotting ranges and fields.  Personally, spotting was overly useful in the beta and demo builds and was subject to abuse. It isn't anymore. "

Wow, I had no idea there was a cooldown.  I just hammer on it randomly sometimes and spot something, and then sometimes when I clearly see something and try to spot it, I can't.  Figgered it was just the game being difficult, but knowing this, maybe I'll be a little less liberal with that back button.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Three0neFive

Real gamers are able to elegantly tap Q while strafing and aiming at someone's iris from 500 yards away.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@Seppli said:
    " Spotting works like this...  As long as you spot something, you can keep on spotting. If you fail to spot something, then there's a cooldown timer of a couple of seconds.  And yes - different kits/guns have different spotting ranges and fields.  Personally, spotting was overly useful in the beta and demo builds and was subject to abuse. It isn't anymore. "
    Seriously?

I'm glad I came in here to bitch about the spotting or else I wouldn't know that.

I guess that's good because it keeps m - er, people from hammering on select randomly and spotting hidden enemies
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Yeah the limited the spotting but it's necessary because everyone needs to judge what they spot instead of spamming.

It can be annoying to hear "ENEMIES! TAKE EM OUT!" 20 times in a minute.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.