Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

How do you counter the Mortar strike ?

duderbattalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By duderbattalion

Bad company 2 seems to be pretty well balanced out for the most part, but  I can't figure out the counter for a mortar strike. Every single time the MCom station is armed .. the recon start to mortar the building making it impossible to get close to it. And when you die, there's no way to tell where the mortar strike is coming from. So basically .. a dude can just camp out someplace and keep mortaring the place until it is destroyed. I recently saw a topic based on this (about mortaring for demolishing buildings) but didn't see anyone have a counter for it. Any ideas how to get around this ?

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BigBoss1911

Kill the reconers.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax
    @BigBoss1911 said:
    " Kill the reconers. "
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nasar7
    @natetodamax said:
    " @BigBoss1911 said:
    " Kill the reconers. "
    "
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jeffsekai

Move.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By emkeighcameron

Aggressively smoke both the target and recon guys. This means you have to sacrifice points because you don't get jack shit for smoking, but it's the best way to handle it. Me and my squad of guys usually have 1 assigned smoker (me, usually) whose only job is to camp out with an ammo crate and make snipers miserable. It works pretty well, but it's not a perfect solution.

wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By wh1terav3n
    @Nasar7 said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @BigBoss1911 said:
    " Kill the reconers. "
    "
    "
    This is somewhat impossible if you're trying to get to a crate. "Oh wait guys, lets take a second and try to find the Reconers that are hiding a half mile away bombing us to hell!" doesn't exactly cut it.
    duderbattalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By duderbattalion
    @emkeighcameron said:
    " Aggressively smoke both the target and recon guys. This means you have to sacrifice points because you don't get jack shit for smoking, but it's the best way to handle it. Me and my squad of guys usually have 1 assigned smoker (me, usually) whose only job is to camp out with an ammo crate and make snipers miserable. It works pretty well, but it's not a perfect solution. "
    Nice strategy. Well .. I was playing with random dudes online cuz I was locked out of the Bombing run. Was stuck with a pretty weird squad with everyone camping and noone moving in to disable the MCOM's. And got my ass handed out to me every time I stepped near the building. I guess the playing experience is much better when you play with a squad of friends. 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " Move. "
    @Nasar7 said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @BigBoss1911 said:
    " Kill the reconers. "
    "
    "
    Two incredibly sound strategies.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By natetodamax
    @wh1terav3n said:
    " @Nasar7 said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @BigBoss1911 said:
    " Kill the reconers. "
    "
    "
    This is somewhat impossible if you're trying to get to a crate. "Oh wait guys, lets take a second and try to find the Reconers that are hiding a half mile away bombing us to hell!" doesn't exactly cut it. "
    It's pretty much the only solution though.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187
    @wh1terav3n said:
    " @Nasar7 said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @BigBoss1911 said:
    " Kill the reconers. "
    "
    "
    This is somewhat impossible if you're trying to get to a crate. "Oh wait guys, lets take a second and try to find the Reconers that are hiding a half mile away bombing us to hell!" doesn't exactly cut it. "
    There are...12 people...on a team?  Right, so one or two going to kill recons while the rest of the team focuses on wrecking the crate shouldn't be too hard.
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By BigBoss1911

If you cant kill them, smoke grenade the bastards.

duderbattalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By duderbattalion
    @natetodamax said:
    " @wh1terav3n said:
    " @Nasar7 said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @BigBoss1911 said:
    " Kill the reconers. "
    "
    "
    It's pretty much the only solution though. "
    Yeah .. you pretty much need a well coordinated team .. one who hunts down the recons, and the other part who protect the base. Kinda sucks that we don't have cross squad chat. Most people would tend to stay near the base to protect the MCOM's .. and it's still pretty hard to spot the recons who are wayyyy far off from the target being mortared.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By natetodamax
    @Venom2112 said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @wh1terav3n said:
    " @Nasar7 said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @BigBoss1911 said:
    " Kill the reconers. "
    "
    "
    Yeah .. you pretty much need a well coordinated team .. one who hunts down the recons, and the other part who protect the base. Kinda sucks that we don't have cross squad chat. Most people would tend to stay near the base to protect the MCOM's .. and it's still pretty hard to spot the recons who are wayyyy far off from the target being mortared. "
    I usually just sweep my crosshairs across the horizon while mashing the back button so the game spots them.
    wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By wh1terav3n
    @jakob187 said:
    " @wh1terav3n said:
    " @Nasar7 said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @BigBoss1911 said:
    " Kill the reconers. "
    "
    "
    There are...12 people...on a team?  Right, so one or two going to kill recons while the rest of the team focuses on wrecking the crate shouldn't be too hard. "
    Well number 1. people can only talk to their squad. Number 2. Its tougher on defense because they're bringing down the building around it, and even if you kill them, they'll respawn and start over.
    duderbattalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By duderbattalion
    @jakob187 said:
    There are...12 people...on a team?  Right, so one or two going to kill recons while the rest of the team focuses on wrecking the crate shouldn't be too hard. "
    Yeah .. but even then, the recon just respawns within a few more seconds and continues mortaring the target. Though I agree, it's a part of the game and I guess you'd need to send some assaults to smoke those recon asses. It just gets frustrating dying over and over again .. when you are playing with random people who just camp and don't spot. 

I like the smoke idea though .. it seems like a valid counter for the mortar strike. Maybe I should start using that more instead of the 40mm GL.
    duderbattalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By duderbattalion
    @natetodamax said:
    " @Venom2112 said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @wh1terav3n said:
    " @Nasar7 said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @BigBoss1911 said:
    " Kill the reconers. "
    "
    "
    Yeah .. you pretty much need a well coordinated team .. one who hunts down the recons, and the other part who protect the base. Kinda sucks that we don't have cross squad chat. Most people would tend to stay near the base to protect the MCOM's .. and it's still pretty hard to spot the recons who are wayyyy far off from the target being mortared. "
    I usually just sweep my crosshairs across the horizon while mashing the back button so the game spots them. "
    Didn't they put a cooldown on the spotting thing after the beta ? I think you have to wait for a few seconds before you can spot again .. 
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Marz

stabbing the recons in the back with a knife.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By jmrwacko
    @wh1terav3n said:
    " @Nasar7 said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @BigBoss1911 said:
    " Kill the reconers. "
    "
    "
    You should feel humbled to be playing against a recon player who actually plays his role. That's the exact purpose of the mortar strike. The solution would be to have a recon player on your team scanning the horizon and taking out enemy snipers. Recon are very vulnerable while calling in mortar strikes (takes like 4 seconds to arm and you have to hold almost completely still), so it is easy to bag an enemy sniper that is trying to call down mortars.
    CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By CABBAGES

either kill the recon or play conquest wich is 100 times better !
    mr_faraday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By mr_faraday

One thing to keep in mind is that the mortar strike doesnt have a very long range so if you see a crate getting bombed then its likely that the recon player is close by hiding somewhere.
    duderbattalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By duderbattalion
    @Mr_Faraday: Ahh .. good point. I haven't played much of the recon class to have known that. That certainly makes things a bit easier .. 
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @Venom2112 said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    Yeah .. but even then, the recon just respawns within a few more seconds and continues mortaring the target. Though I agree, it's a part of the game and I guess you'd need to send some assaults to smoke those recon asses. It just gets frustrating dying over and over again .. when you are playing with random people who just camp and don't spot.  I like the smoke idea though .. it seems like a valid counter for the mortar strike. Maybe I should start using that more instead of the 40mm GL. "
    I just did "science" with the smoke launcher and it was amazing.

I was playing Arica Harbor (Rush). As you're probably aware, the last two pairs of MCOM stations are really nasty to get to as the attackers. 

So I waited for about 5 minutes into each pair, and noted where all my teammates where. Most were holed up behind boxes/walls/buildings, scared shitless (and rightly so) of all the defender firepower. There were a lot of medics on the defending team, and they had no reservations about pouring their machine guns in our general directions. Couple this with noobtubers and mortars, and the MCOMs were kill zones.

So I stood a little ways back, with my ammo crate, and started fucking SPAMMING smoke grenades. I covered the entire area of MCOM Alpha, within (around) 100 feet on any side with a thick layer of smoke. Within 60 seconds, all of my guys had moved up, zerged the MCOM, and put the charge down. 

Rinse and repeat for the other MCOMs, and you practically guarantee a win. Just keep in mind, again, that you won't make any fucking points doing this. It really would be nice if they added in some way to earn points from smoke usage.
    duderbattalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By duderbattalion
    @emkeighcameron: Sweet .. I'm gonna try this tomorrow. Thanks for the tip dude.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SeriouslyNow

If you're getting repeatedly caught and killed in mortar strikes it's a definite sign that either you're not quick enough to run when you hear the shells falling (the sound gives you warning) and you're not being a dynamic enough member of the team.

Remember what McTavish said to Soap on their first mission together : "Check your corners!"

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By Seppli

The solution is simple really. I don't care about crates in destructible buildings too much. They are meant to be lost in the grand scheme of things. As for mortarstrikes. I don't like getting killed by them either, but they aren't really effective as long as you stay on the move.

Fuzz_Butt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fuzz_Butt

Run. Run away. And never return.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natetodamax said:
    I usually just sweep my crosshairs across the horizon while mashing the back button so the game spots them. "

I was wondering about this, in the demo it seemed WAY easier to spot people, is it just me or did they make it harder? Spamming the back button used to be an effective strategy, it doesn't seem to work for me anymore.
    Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Tuggah
    @masterpaperlink: they put a cool down on the spotting. 

As for the mortar problem, the smoke seems like a great way to avoid it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b0d8164a52c1
    deactivated-5b0d8164a52c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stab the damn recons in the back until they change kit :)

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @natetodamax said:
    " @Venom2112 said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @wh1terav3n said:
    " @Nasar7 said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " @BigBoss1911 said:
    " Kill the reconers. "
    "
    "
    thats the way to go in BF2, but in BC2 i found that unless you had a good visual on the enemy, you cant spot em.. so hitting the spot button randomly fails for me
    cooger10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cooger10

It's like the matrix. You just have to realize there is no mortar strike. Jk well the good news is mortar strikes don't really last too long so unless the snipers on the other team are strategically calling in their mortar strikes in one after the other you should be able to wait until the barrage is over and then run in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eca34e37141a
    deactivated-5eca34e37141a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why I play conquest.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Sit in a corner of a building crying and rocking back and forth. 

Sh4ft3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sh4ft3d
    @emkeighcameron:
    I just discovered how much smoke grenades help the other day. They're fantastic, but it doesn't matter how good the people I'm playing with are or how much they help, I'll be the only one using them. No one realizes it either, how smoke can completely change the outcome of a match.
    sho76und3wd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sho76und3wd
    @Sh4ft3d said:
    " @emkeighcameron:I just discovered how much smoke grenades help the other day. They're fantastic, but it doesn't matter how good the people I'm playing with are or how much they help, I'll be the only one using them. No one realizes it either, how smoke can completely change the outcome of a match. "
    Squad-up brother!  Get some pals and fight!
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By floodiastus
    @CABBAGES said:
    " either kill the recon or play conquest wich is 100 times better ! "  
    Yeah, RUSH lacks serious tactics and is boring as hell.
    Avatar image for weegieanawrench
    weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By weegieanawrench

You can't counter mortar strikes, they hail down on you at blindingly fast speeds. The only thing you can do is reduce their frequency. And the only way to do that is do what everyone has already mentioned, kill every recon dude you see.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.