Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

Seppli's 100h PS3 Multiplayer Beta Review

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Seppli's 100h PS3 Beta Review

*Disclaimer* Copy 'n Paste from my Review/Feedback I made on the official EA UK PS3 Beta Battlefield Forums

Graphics:

+Viewing Distance (incredible)
    +Drawing Distance (except for some minor pop-ins, absolutely insane!)
    +Character Models (highly detailed)
    +Animations
    +Particle Effects
    +Destruction/Deformation
    +Ragdoll Physics
    -No AA
    -Drawing Distance Glitches (Pop-ins)
    -Scope Glitches (Graphical Errors)
    -Scope Graphics (look unfinished)
    -No highly visible muzzle flash (as seen in BF:BC 1)
    -Difference between Russian Recon High-Poly Model and Low-Poly Model too obvious (switches too soon between high poly and low poly model too)

Sound:

+Destinct Sounds for every vehicle and weapon
    +Great Surround Sound
    +Deafening Explosions
    -not yet as good BF:BC 1
    -Noise doesn't seem to travel as far, as in BF:BC 1
    -less upbeat flair than the first game (I especially miss the rewarding pin-jingle, which has been burned positively into my synapses for life)

Gunplay:

+Excellent Ballistics Simulation (Bullet Drop and Traveltime are spot-on)
    +Every gun handles differently, every gun is deadly - a matter of preference, perfect!
    +Excellent Balance between Scopes and Ironsights (via Specializations)
    +Bulletdamage feels spot-on
    +Getting hit throws aim off
    +Ragdoll physics are awesome! Love 'em! Makes Kills look insanely visceral!
    +Hitdectection vastly improved
    -probably a little shotgun buff (higher onehit kill range, a little more spread)
    -other than that - nothing. It's bloody perfect!

Vehicles:

+Tanks put a team in-front of a big problem that has to be solved (very powerful maincannon - onehitkill & splashdamage, spot-on projectile drop, very useful gunnerposition, take a ton of damage, destroying a tank from the front requires a fair deal of teamwork - perfect!)
    +UAV fun, powerful and easy to take down - perfect to ensure Attacker's momentum by destroying the Defender's assets, love it! (especially the voice over chatter)
    +ATV tons of fun, superfast, agile and very useful to get to vantage/sniping spots. Goes practically everywhere - no problem! Pefect for ninja crate arming.
    +Jeep very fast too, powerful gunner position on medium range, enough time to bail out after a RPG hit
    +Aim (works like ironsights) for gunner positions
    +vastly improved Torque and Inertia for all vehicles
    +vastly improved speed for all vehicles (they all go really fast!)
    +Tight controls (I use dualstick controls)
    +Damagemodel (Doors and Armorplating fall off)
    +good deadzone for tank's gunner position (upwards)
    -almost no deadzone for tank's gunner position (downward angle for superclose targets)
    -spotting too powerful for tank's gunner position (too high range, too generous)

Map:

+ great diversity of gameplay (shifts from longrange, vehicle/anti-vehicle combat over 'urban' village warfare to CQC situations)
    +Attackers are favored to ensure foward momentum
    +Fun and plentiful chokepoints pitts players in intense and constant firefights
    +Tons of angles to play
    +Expertly paced
    -Attackers can shift the mapbalance extremely in their favor by stealing the Defenders assets (tanks). Infiltrating the Defender's Vehicle Spawnpoint is a popular tactic. Excellent squadspawn makes default spawnpoints very vulnerable to such tactics.
    -Defenders stealing assets (tank) takes too much momentum out of the Attacker's campaign (not as bad, because of the UAV support for Attackers to take out tanks)

Levelsystem:

+Kitspecific leveling
    +Specializations all useful
    +Specializations balance each other out (though and painful decisions are proof of excellent balancing)
    +Specializations are gameplay altering (how I play is up to me, within the restrictions of a kit - I can tailor my soldier to my playstyle)
    +good pacing (gaining utility pretty quickly, while keeping some weapons rather exclusive)
    -a little too hard to obtain all weapons for all kits (kitspecific leveling makes me play medic and recon now, because I got my assault and engineer kit maxed out - even if situationally, I'd rather pick the engineer or the assault soldier - how about making pin XP freely distributable, that I can progress even if I play a maxed out kit)

Balance:

+ Perfect! (kits, specializations, gunplay, damage, vehicles and mapbalance are top notch)
    -Nothing...
    -...except for ninja C4-crate bashing, which seems too easy at the moment (1 guy should never be enough to take out a crate with C4, Assault shouldn't have C4 anyways)...
    -...and Motion Sensors (shouldn't give away line of sight, as in point-indicators instead of the current arrow-indicators, Motion Sensor Spam is still possible, Motion Sensors should work like the Mortar Strike Designator - it should be on a fixed cooldown)

Bugs:

- 2x Freezes in 100h gameplay (as in hard-reset, one time I had to setup my PS3 again afterwards)
    -About 2-3 lost connections every 6-10 hours session (as in avarage, some days I got none, other's I got quite a few)
    -Sometimes Ironsights won't work (switch to other weapon and back and it works again - this bug was in BF:BC 1 too)
    -Same goes for gadgets
    -Picking up kits instead of disarming (there has to be a better solution, like using another button for arming/disarming)
    -C4 still glitching off vehicles too easily (just give us a bit more throwing range to compensate for latency issues with C4)
    -Killcam bug (shows previous instead of current killer)
    -Killcam ugly (often shows wierd angles, lots of clipping issues)
    -Scopes cause graphical errors.
    -Pins are all over the place. Buggy as hell!

What needs to be worked on...

-Smokescreens (Smokegrenades useless in this build, same goes for Vehicle Smokescreen specialization - needs to linger longer and cover a bigger area. BF:BC 1 had a perfect smokescreen effect. Player's in a smokescreen should be impossible to be spotted, active spots should be immediately disabled)
    -Scopes (models lack detail, scope causes graphical errors)
    -Spotting system (too high range, too generous, spot is up for too long - balance still a tad bit off, especially for the tanks gunner position and the recon soldier)

Suggestions:

+R3 for vehicle camera (switch between first and third person view)
    +For Rush MP mode - Lock Vehicles to one faction as long as they are on their original spawnpoint (to maintain mapbalance and make an end to cheap 'asset thievery' tactics)
    +In-depth kit-specific and vehicle-specific tutorials and instructional videos
    +Context sensitive tutorial messages in-game
    +Tutorialmode for every MP-map (and MP-map layout, depending the mode)
    +Shooting range (to play around with all the different weapons and to train my aiming - especially sniping at moving targets at long range. The gunplay is so much fun, it deserves it's own little playground)
    +Instructional Videos for every MP-map showing off chokepoints and the most commonsense tactics (can be used as promotinal material too). Teach new players how to put the pressure on!
    +Find a way to school new players into pushing and pressuring the enemy, no matter what side they're on! The more pressure, the better the pacing and the gaming experience!

Closing Comment:

Congratulations - you guys! Great game! Tight gameplay. Tight gamedesign. Fun. Intense. Deep. Beautiful. Perfectly balanced. Addictive. Endless Replayability. A vast improvement in almost every way possible! I'm sold. Best game ever.

Now you just have to make sure, that everything works as intended. Fix the pins. Finish the scopes and the smoke effects. Bring the surround sound back up to the standard you set with BF:BC 1.

If you somehow manage to school the game's gaming public to play better - with extensive tutorials and instructional videos and whatnot - well, that would be heaven on earth.

Except for some minor issues with the beta build's balance (Oneman Ninja-C4 crate bashing and overpowered, spam-friendly Motion Sensors) I am 100% happy with what I'm playing!

DICE - live long and prosper! May all involved gain a great deal of happiness, satisfaction and compensation from their work on this masterpiece.

Thanks for making my gaming life better!

Excellent!

*Disclaimer* Copy 'n Paste from my Review/Feedback I made on the official EA UK PS3 Multiplayer Beta Battlefield Forums
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By big_jon
    @Seppli: 

100 hrs? Really? Ive played like 40 or so. Good review though. Whats your psn name?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Seppli

ExMaloBonum, same on XBL. Top 30 something on the Beta leaderboards. Don't know how some did manage to play 20+ hours more than me in this time. Guess that's the daily workout, cooking and eating. I'm always surprised seeing people being more nuts than me.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By MrKlorox

I don't know if it's a dialect difference or if there's something different in the game itself, but what do you mean when you keep mentioning "pins"? Dog-tags or something? The thing you pull out of hand grenades to arm them? The firing pin?

Great review. You've given a lot of revealing information.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Seppli
    @MrKlorox: 

Pins are those little round thingys you get for little achievements within one round. They pop up mid-round accompanied by a 'lil jingle. For example...

5 dude killstreak -> Combat Efficiency Pin
    7 dude killstreak -> Combat Excellence Pin
    kill x dudes in with weapon/vehicle Y in one round -> weapon/vehicle Y efficiency pin
    be the best player in a round -> ace pin
    do x squad assists -> squad assist pin
    do x headshots in one round -> headshot pin
    do x marksman headshots in one round -> marksman headshot pin
    kill your nemesis -> Payback pin
    become somebody's nemesis -> Nemesis pin
    Revive x soldiers with your defib -> Defib efficiency pin
    Fill up x Health ->...
    Fill up x Ammo ->...

..and so forth. I love pins. A constant stream of rewards to pin on my chest. The great 'lil jingle. Positive reinforcement.

I'm as simpleminded as a hamster when it comes to ingame rewards. Many pins are linked to the wrong achievement or don't work at all yet in the PS3 Beta Build.
    Mu5hy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Mu5hy

I played about 30hrs of this beta on a borrowed PS3 before I had to give it back, and I would have to agree with pretty much everything you said.  Especially the spotting system being way too generous.  When defending the urban and train mcom stations, I would get on a heavyMG on a roof or the one on the bridge, and just spam the hell out of the select button while covering a large area and get spots constantly.  I would rack up so many kills and spot assists on enemies that without spot spamming I probably wouldn't have been able to see.

Also the crate defusing/kit pickup thing can be frustrating.  I recall one situation where I spawned to see three enemies running into B at the Harbor,  I threw a frag in there and went in and killed them while they were all arming the crate.  So I had 3 kits on the ground and on the crate that I had to defuse.

I hope to get into the PC Beta of this game early next year and if I have to preorder to do it I will, because Ive already decided I'm buying this game when it comes out in March.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By big_jon

I hope the 360 controller works with hte PC beta.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By FrankCanada97

Great read, you've certainly touched upon most of the things in the beta.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Seppli: OH, of course! I forgot how in-game rewards have different names with each installment. So what are there other than pins? There are usually three types in each game (ie BC1 had Wildcards, Patches, and Trophies; BF2 had Medals, Ribbons and Badges; etc...).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.