Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

So, can you shoot through walls?

SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SocietySays

I have not watched much on this game, but I'm going to assume that you can't.
    It really annoyed me that in the first game you could drill a massive hole into the side of a wall but could not shoot through it.

Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Manatassi

Dude you can shoot the walls down.....  then you shoot through them :)

MajorMediocre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MajorMediocre

yes you can drill through walls and shooterize people on the other side in bc2

SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SocietySays

So I guess my assumption was correct then? There is no shooting through walls. 
    Lame.

imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By imhuntad

Lame is the correct thought. Unless you could shoot through 3 houses, 1 brick wall, 2 people, and 1 chicken and then hit someone in the head with that same bullet like in CoD4 and MW2. :P

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422

You can shoot through certain things, you definitely can. I killed people shooting through a wooden fence, and light metal crate thingies before. Actually unsure of walls, I naturally didnt try yet since it wasnt in the first. Maybe I can find out later sometime.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By baconbits33
    @imhuntad: Or you could just blow up those 3 houses, that brick wall, those 2 people along with that chicken and then that person... But you know that's just me, you can go ahead and think you can shoot through 2 walls... let alone all those things you named.... But at the end of the day.... CoD4 and MW2 need a new engine for blowing shit up. Who gives a shit if you can shoot through a wall, you can blow that up and then shoot at the person if they're even alive to survive the blast in BF: BC2. 
    casterofdreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By casterofdreams
    @imhuntad said:

"Lame is the correct thought. Unless you could shoot through 3 houses, 1 brick wall, 2 people, and 1 chicken and then hit someone in the head with that same bullet like in CoD4 and MW2. :P "

At that range you have to take in to account The Coriolis Effect
    imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By imhuntad
    @casterofdreams: lol, don't get so worked up about it, it was just a joke. All jokes aside, it is certainly possible, but what is the point of wasting crap on a thin wall when you could just shoot someone through it. Honestly, is a sniper gonna have a rocket launcher ready to blow a hole in a wall, switch to a sniper, and then take the shot? By that time the target will be gone if he is smart in the slightest. Bullet penetration, just because destructive cover is present, is not useless in video games. I still stand by what I said in that shooting through walls should be in the game still, but in reality who really cares? Death is so frequent in that game it doesn't really matter what is in it. Still lame though buddy. 
    casterofdreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By casterofdreams

@imhuntad:
    Yeah I was joking too. Do you remeber the part in CoD 4 where you in a flashback playing as Price? I wanted to say that for comical relief.

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

Fuck that! 

Blow the damn wall up!!!
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox

So I haven't seen it definitively denied yet. Just folks saying "why shot through when you can blow up the wall" or "you can shoot through thin cover" which doesn't really answer the question.

Can anybody in the Beta do some tests explicitly on walls?

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By m1k3

you dont shoot through walls, you destroy them

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

Yet another non answer. Please, people!

The question isn't about micro-destruction, it's about bullet penetration.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187

There is bullet penetration, but it is not nearly as flimsy as Call of Duty plays bullet penetration.  In Call of Duty, there might as well not even be walls....just a flat area for you to shoot each other on.  In Bad Company, you could shoot through some thin objects, and the closer you were to a wall, you had a better chance of being able to get more bullet pen.  There's an actual volume to bullets in Bad Company. 

In the end, though, it doesn't matter...because the Bad Company franchise blows shit up real good.  Now that you can collapse buildings, who gives a shit about shooting through a wall except folks who can't play a face-off against another player? 

Seriously, FPS gamers nowadays just wouldn't survive in CoD2 or UT2004 or Quake III nowadays.  They'd whine and bitch so much that they can't shoot through walls.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By trophyhunter

well yeah that's kinda it's selling point

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrKlorox

COD penetration is indeed pretty absurd, but it's better to have it than nothing. Most games don't treat it realistically and allow perfect piercing (without deviation) until the bullet just 'disintegrates' after a certain range

Optimally the bullet trajectory would deviate upon hitting the surface, and the amount of deviation would depend on range, bullet type, velocity, angle, and surface material (including the possibility of ricochet). With such a model the headshots through concrete often found in MW2 wouldn't be nearly as exploited.

But the idea of "blowing up a wall is always better than penetrating through it, no matter what circumstance" isn't a well thought one. The kit doesn't always have the option of blowing up a wall just to kill the guy behind it.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jmrwacko

There was penetration in BC through lighter objects, but not so much through heavier walls and such. Which is good, because bullet penetration in CoD just goes wayyy too far. Like, where you can shoot through tanks with deep impact. That's just lame.
    adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By adziboy
    @MrKlorox said:

"COD penetration is indeed pretty absurd, but it's better to have it than nothing. Most games don't treat it realistically and allow perfect piercing (without deviation) until the bullet just 'disintegrates' after a certain range

Optimally the bullet trajectory would deviate upon hitting the surface, and the amount of deviation would depend on range, bullet type, velocity, angle, and surface material (including the possibility of ricochet). With such a model the headshots through concrete often found in MW2 wouldn't be nearly as exploited.

But the idea of "blowing up a wall is always better than penetrating through it, no matter what circumstance" isn't a well thought one. The kit doesn't always have the option of blowing up a wall just to kill the guy behind it. "

@MrKlorox:  

All kits have some sort of explosive in BC2, even if it's grenades but I've found stuff much harder to blow up unless you have a tank. 

Assault: Grenades, C4, Grenade Launcher.
    Recon: C4, Mortar Strike, Grenades.
    Engineer: Mines, RPG, Grenades.
    Medic: Grenades. 

And to answer your question, which nobody seems to be doing... 

Thin metal and wood is penetratable. Things like corrugated metal from containers or fences. Also, some trees allow it. Anything thick like stone, or thick metal won't allow any penetration, but objects like tank traps will simply get destroyed by shooting at them. You can also shoot small holes and this means you are full covered but have a great vantage point. 

Ermm... think that's it for the Arica (sp?) map so far. There's plenty of oppurtunity for that stuff, and then you can always blow it up or try and flank them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.