Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Beyond: Two Souls

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 08, 2013

An interactive supernatural thriller from the studio behind Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy. It tells the story of Jodie Holmes, a girl with mysterious psychokinetic abilities.

What did you think of this game?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What did you think of this game? (74 votes)

I loved it. Fantastic game! :D 14%
    I didn't love it, but I liked it, it was good. 24%
    It was okay I guess. 18%
    I didn't like it. It wasn't good, not even just okay. Pretty mediocre in my opinion, but I wouldn't call it bad. 8%
    This game was utter crap. I hated it. One of, if not the worst experience I've had with a game. 14%
    I never played it, but I'm here anyways. 23%

I'm just wondering what people thought of it. I personally didn't play it. Right now, I don't really know of any games to play or buy, but maybe this is one of them. I'm not so much as asking you if you think I should get it, only what you thought of it. I guess that can go hand in hand, but still, if I want it I'll get it, if I don't I don't. Hopefully the poll choices are good enough.

• 
    Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Coming from someone who liked Indigo Prophecy (Yeah the ending was weird as hell), and who LOVED Heavy Rain, I found the game to be so disappointing. I mean, it wasn't bad, but god damn... What a HUGE let down. It was just BORING - seriously, I was bored outta my mind. The redeeming factor is William Defoe, but even he can't carry this game.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Sterling

I didn't love it, but I liked it, it was good.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SlashDance

Quantic Dream's games are always conceptually interesting, and Beyond is no exception so I enjoyed my time with it. The story is what it is, I think Cage's writing got a little bit better since Heavy Rain (by that I mean it's not filled with plot holes), and the acting got a lot better, but it's still overly melodramatic and downright cringey at times. Most if not all of the emotional moments felt completely unearned. Still, actually playing the game was enjoyable. Also, it looks incredible. That helps.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jamesyfx

I liked it but it did get a little bit exhausting after a while and I just trailed off, stopped playing it towards the end of the game and I've never felt the urge to finish it. I may never do so.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Heavy Rain is my favorite PS3 game hands down, but I just couldn't get into Beyond. I have no idea why. I thought Jodie and Dawkins were great characters and the premise seemed like it should have worked, but it just didn't appeal to me. It's weird.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It got DUMB the longer it went.

The fragmented story was more of a negative than positive. It robs fantastic performances from Ellen Page of any emotional weight because we don't know the true motivations for these performances.

Choice was an illusion that only mattered in the final choice. For example, no matter how much you struggled from the love interest, they keep elbowing you in the side and nudging you towards it.

-Cipher-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would've been a good game if it wasn't for the out-of-sequence chapters.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

I should say that I played and enjoyed Indigo Prophecy. The 'crazy' ending didn't bother me so much, what did was the abrupt change in feelings from the characters. I didn't think they gave it enough time to develope them in a way that made them seem that they would act in such ways (I'm referring to the male a female relationship). As for Heavy Rain, I wanted to play it before its release, and after, for a couple of years really. I was still somewhat interested then, but never played it, and listening to the voice acting completely turned me off.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#9  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

There was a certain rigid nature to its storytelling that felt like a step backwards from Heavy Rain, but it was decent enough fun.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Aww, that last option makes me feel included. Thanks.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The gameplay was better than their previous work, and it all felt necessary. I found so much worthless bullshit to be happening in Heavy Rain, that I ultimately lost interest in the good bits. Sadly, the story lost itself in the second half. There were some really weak character arcs that forced themselves into personal relationships. It sucked. The first half is a ton of fun though. I don't regret playing it, just sort of walked away unimpressed. It was okay.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aside from the ending choice sequence being super dumb (and Cage's lack of someone else looking over his scripts), I found the the game as a whole to be super interesting. Not to mention that when the game looked it's best, it felt like the best looking game I had seen to date across the board.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I loved it, lumps and all.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By GunstarRed

It was really poor.I loved Heavy Rain. This was poorly written and wanted to be this emotional story where you feel and stuff, but also needs you to blow up James Bond-y underwater bases and have fist fights on moving vehicles.

David Cage wants to do the character drama things like The Walking Dead and The Last of Us do so well, but is tied to creating big dumb action B-movies with poor pacing, unintentionally hilarious dialogue/moments and nobody to tell him that sometimes less is more.

Those romance options are as in depth as the "Wanna fuck?" option in Saints Row IV.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Everything besides the actual script was amazing. Ellen Page god bless her took an absolute turd of a script and turned it into something entertaining. But because the actual script is SUCH a crucial part of the experience here I fall about in the middle on this one in my final opinion of it. Seriously, someone needs to get David Cage a fucking editor.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It peaked when Ellen Page sang a Beck song. Everything after that was a trainwreck of a narrative, up to and including the bumblefuck of an ending.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's unintentionally ridiculous in a lot of spots; good thing Im a fan of that sort of thing.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

I would almost say it was bad. Like borderline just straight up bad. The story has a good premise but David Cage can't write for shit. I don't know if it is something lost in translation or what but his dialogue is just so awful. The cast tried really hard to sell some of the scenes but I just couldn't get behind any of it. Depending on your tolerance for bad writing you may enjoy the story more or less than me. If it wasn't for the great cast the whole thing just wouldn't have worked even remotely.

From a gameplay standpoint, I felt like the action sequences were much better than Heavy Rain but the out of body stuff was a chore to control and it wasn't always clear what you were supposed to be doing.

The game does look fantastic. It runs terribly. Like I don't think the framerate ever gets higher than the mid 20's and they only way they manage to achieve that is by using a "cinematic aspect ratio" which is a fancy way to say they cut off a third of the screen. But it does truly look fantastic at certain parts.

As for the end, well David Cage has yet to write a story with an ending that made sense and I didn't expect him to start here. Let's just say that all the choices lead to a strange, out of left field conclusion. That said, I would be much more interested to play the game they set up with that ending than the one we got to play.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EVO

It was good, but not as good as Heavy Rain. Despite the better cast, acting performances and production values, the dialogue choices are far less meaningful than those in Heavy Rain and the absence of permanent death makes it far less engaging too.

It's worth playing through once, simply because there's not many games like it, but I'd play Heavy Rain first if you haven't already.

ian280291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should have had a poll option "waiting for PS+" thats what I do when I'm on the fence about a game

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed it. The Quantic Dream guys feel like the only people really trying to move the adventure genre forward.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.