Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Should I buy this? Let me explain...

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

I really wanted to play Bioshock, but the oppressive nature of the environment really freaked me out and I maybe took two steps out of the first elevator before switching it off, never to return. I never finished either of the first two Metroid Primes for much the same reason; isolated, oppressive locales really don't do it for me. On the flip side, totally finished Metroid Prime 3, and Skyrim was awesome.

So, this looks a little more open/vibrant/colourful than the previous two Bioshock games and I like the look of it, as well as being intrigued by the story. But how likely is it that much of the game will recall the creepy, vengeful architecture of Rapture, or is this a new experience completely?

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Why don't you just wait a few days until the a big wave of reviews hit? Asking a bunch of people who haven't played the game yet isn't going to provide you with any really useful information. I'm sure a lot of the reviews will touch on the atmosphere in comparison to the original as well as how the world of Colombia compares to Rapture. Just be patient

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

You could probably wait and see some gameplay videos in the coming weeks. That way you can get a feel of the atmosphere throughout the game.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By theguy

@yodasdarkside: I did the same thing as you with Bioshock but after a month I tried again and soldiered through. I'm so glad I did. Once you play for another 5 minutes you get used to the atmosphere. It's one of my favourite games now.

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

Atmosphere is one of the reasons why I enjoy Bioshock so much. Definitely wait for more reviews to hit, but I really think you're missing out if you pass on it. Then again, this is all based upon my personal enjoyment of the series. Some games just aren't for everybody!

camp7203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

From the look of things, if you liked Bioshock you'll like this.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By OfficeGamer

why can't people just wait a few days and read/watch enough to know what the game IS before going crazy with the B word?

Turbyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Turbyne

Well the first Bioshock surely wasn't a horror game but had some disturbing moments such as the plastic surgeon scene.

You really couldn't? I played through the first Bioshock when it released...I was Fourteen.

You probably shouldn't play this one either, it has it's share of creepiness despite it maybe looking all colorful from a distance.

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It has it's fair share of both colourful locales and dark and dreary that harken back to the original BioShock.

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, just watched half an hour of Bioshock on youtube and there's no way I'll be playing that, so I guess I'll give Infinite a pass until more reviews come out. Can't say why it freaks me out so much; I think it has something to do with being trapped underwater as well as the crazed voices of the splicers. To those who were annoyed with me asking before it comes out, I normally would not ask, but I want to take advantage of Sony's spend $50, get $10 back deal and it runs out in a few days.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kind of strange to have a game have that kind of effect on you. i think i would actually like to have a game be able to mess with me in such a visceral way. i'm not downplaying your feelings towards it, just saying it's interesting. i understand where you come from. i think even with the sunlit exteriors it will have a pretty dark undertone going (scenes during the night notwithstanding).

haven't read enough but i'm assuming the people are just regular (if deranged) people for the most part, and not messed up monstrosities like in Bioshock?

i will agree that i dread going any further in Amnesia for the same reasons. :|

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By captain_max707

Funnily enough, I had a very similar situation with the original Bioshock where I got pretty freaked out and stopped playing right about where the first Vita Chamber is. I later went back though, and found that the scariest parts of that game really are the opening areas. The areas later aren't as bad, and you get used to the vibe. Also, if you don't like being alone, there are quite a few characters which will talk to you throughout.

It will still be a little creepy, but I would recommend going back and trying again, especially if you are interested in this Bioshock.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By myke_tuna

I'm not sure anyone will know until they finish Bioshock Infinite. As far as I can tell, it seems like Infinite may not be as dark (in the light sense), but other than that, I have no idea how it's going to play out.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@yodasdarkside: Based on some of the reviews now coming out yes, you should buy it.

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played the one hour trial on the PS3 last night. Immediate purchase.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Marcsman

You lost me at "never to return"

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

You should. You should also go back to Metroid Prime. That game is still more brilliant than almost every other game out there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.