Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Soldiers with a nosebleed (Spoilers!)

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've seen a lot of discussion about Booker's nosebleeds and all of that is pretty much clear to me.

I still don't understand though why the soldiers you meet right after going through the tear in Chen Lin's cell are having nosebleeds. You kill them in one reality then you go to another. They should be either alive or dead, not struggling to cope with multiple sets of memories (as I understand, the reason for nosebleeds), as they did not have any contact with other realities.

I thought it could have been because Elizabeth actually merged parts of two realities (like when she summons things to help you in battle), or even that the proximity with the tear would cause the nosebleeds... But then all the prisoners you meet along the way should be having seizures and bleeding as well.

Any theories?

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By MildMolasses

@maajin said:

I thought it could have been because Elizabeth actually merged parts of two realities (like when she summons things to help you in battle), or even that the proximity with the tear would cause the nosebleeds... But then all the prisoners you meet along the way should be having seizures and bleeding as well.

Any theories?

Isn't that exactly it? Doesn't she say so right after it happens? The problem, as I understood it, was that the people who were experiencing the nosebleeds were dead in one dimension and alive in another. She merged them and the bleeding/seizures was a result of them trying to reconcile being alive and dead at the same time. The prisoners weren't doing that because, presumably, they are alive in both versions of reality

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

A better question is, why doesn't martyr Booker's death cause game Booker and Comstock to nosebleed?

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

A better question is, why doesn't martyr Booker's death cause game Booker and Comstock to nosebleed?

Booker does get a nosebleed when they discover all the posters and things.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Booker only has nosebleeds when it's plot convenient.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Snail

@maajin said:

I've seen a lot of discussion about Booker's nosebleeds and all of that is pretty much clear to me.

I still don't understand though why the soldiers you meet right after going through the tear in Chen Lin's cell are having nosebleeds. You kill them in one reality then you go to another. They should be either alive or dead, not struggling to cope with multiple sets of memories (as I understand, the reason for nosebleeds), as they did not have any contact with other realities.

Then you apparently don't understand why Booker was having nosebleeds as well.

He was having those moments of headaches because he was having to cope with different memories from different timelines. Like when he had a nosebleed when facing Comstock, or when he saw that in one timeline he had been a hero to the rebels. The same is happening with the soldiers, only the memory they are having to cope with is death. That is something that in this fiction the human mind cannot deal with, resulting in convulsive seizures.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snail said:

@maajin said:

He was having those moments of headaches because he was having to cope with different memories from different timelines. Like when he had a nosebleed when facing Comstock, or when he saw that in one timeline he had been a hero to the rebels. The same is happening with the soldiers, only the memory they are having to cope with is death. That is something that in this fiction the human mind cannot deal with, resulting in convulsive seizures.

But why would they have to cope with death? They didn't experience different timelines, they just stayed on that one. It was Booker who arrived at their timeline.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

Because they had to find Daniel Faraday.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Snail

@maajin said:

@snail said:

@maajin said:

But why would they have to cope with death? They didn't experience different timelines, they just stayed on that one. It was Booker who arrived at their timeline.

I think what Elizabeth does is that she pulls timelines together, overlapping them right?

Or maybe it's just a gate to another dimension, and because she opened it wide, the people in its vicinity were also carried over? Or everyone was?

But why would only people be carried over? Maybe animals and plants are too. I guess that would happen to all living things?

Let's go with the vicinity thing, if that even makes sense. I thought that when she opened the tear she basically entirely opened a new world, but that kind of raises questions doesn't it? If you consider that she only opens a gate big enough for what they need, then I guess it makes more sense? It traps the people around it. LET'S GO WITH THAT.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're all having nosebleeds because Elizabeth is showing some boob and they're both attracted to them and embarrassed (≧∇≦) ヽ(^o^)丿(^v^)

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@mijati said:

@believer258 said:

The soldiers were confused as to which reality their minds belonged to because the other reality's soldiers had died. Booker was dead in the reality he had jumped to. Why isn't he confused and swaying all over the place? Why isn't he delusional and nuts? Is all of this happening in his hea...

Nevermind, I'll just chalk it up to a plot hole.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@mijati said:

@believer258 said:

The soldiers were confused as to which reality their minds belonged to because the other reality's soldiers had died. Booker was dead in the reality he had jumped to. Why isn't he confused and swaying all over the place? Why isn't he delusional and nuts? Is all of this happening in his hea...

Nevermind, I'll just chalk it up to a plot hole.

Remember how badly Booker was tripping out when the Luteces first pulled in through in the ending? He was doing the exact same thing as the those soldiers. Look how the screen was fuzzing all over the place as they dragged him. His body and mind got used to hopping through dimensions so all he was getting are nosebleeds. His mind got better with coping.

There is no plot hole.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Maybe the soldiers are attracted to Booker?
    Maybe the soldiers are attracted to Booker?

naq29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think may be it is not Chen Lin and the soldiers bleeding. It's Brooker saw them bleeding.

IIRC, Chen Lin and the soldiers looked ghost-like, but Mrs. Lin didn't mention her husband bleeding and ghost-like at all. So maybe they are normal in that reality but it's Brooker saw them diffrently since it is him who saw them dead earlier. It doesn't explain why Eliz not know it and Chen Lin seems confused himself though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.