Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Weird graphical issue

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

I didn't thoroughly read through forum topic titles, for fear of any spoilers, but I still need to ask this.

I get this weird graphical issue - green dots flashing randomly on screen for no reason. Maybe it's my graphics card, I know it's at the limits of acceptability (ATI Radeon HD4870). But the game seems to run acceptably on even medium settings, however this weird thing persists on ANY resolution and ANY settings.

The only setting that is unchangeable is postprocessing. That could be the culprit, or it could be my graphics card.

Sidenote, probably unrelated - after listening to the podcast I booted up the first Bioshock, not having played it in years - and it had a VERY similar issue of green flashing dots... and also purple squares. It didn't have that when I played it the first time. And the issue went away after I disabled postprocessing, even keeping other setting at the highest possible. The only connection is that both these games use Unreal Engine.

It could be drivers, I'll try installing older ones later or something. I would say my graphics card is dying, but this hasn't happened with other games (such as Heart of the Swarm). I haven't tried other Unreal Engine games however.

I tried looking for answers on the internet, but nothing concrete came up, and I don't want to go too deep on Bioshock Infinte threads, because after having the first game spoiled I'm trying to stay fresh.

Could anyone suggest anything?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

That happened when I once tried to over clock my 4650.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Sounds like bad drivers or an overheated/inadequate card. I have an HD7970 and I'm running on ultra no problems on the latests non-beta drivers.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it's overheating... Again, doesn't happen with other games.

Worst case, I'll open up my box, blow all the dust out, change thermal paste. I just don't have time for that right now.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you want to try out changing some hidden settings there is an .ini file that might let you solve your problem. But most likely this is something that is being caused by your Graphics Card.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried to look for the appropriate file, seemingly found the setting in the engine.ini file, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Sadly, there's still a paucity of technical information on this game on any google search, it's just mostly people talking about gameplay and story. Guess I'm in the minority, if not unique, with this issue.

Thanks for your suggestions!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.