Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Yet Another BioShock Infinite Plot/Ending Questions Thread

Maunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I know it seems a bit wtf-game-is-4-months-old-durr but I only completed the game around a week ago and inevitably had a lot of questions. Some I saw answers for, others I was just posting around various forums and threads, but then I thought screw it, I'll make a whole new thread solely for the things I want to ask. Go big or go home, right?

1. Surely there are more than two baptisms, more than one where Booker accepted and one where he declined. What about one where he also accepted but was slightly different, e.g Booker ate toast that morning instead of porridge. The Comstock spawned from that baptism would still exist, no matter what happened to the other one. Or does the explanation for this lie in Elizabeth's words 'We swim in different oceans but land on the same shore'?

2. How can Booker and Elizabeth jump through tears without collapsing and needing to create new memories? Similarly, does Booker not remember losing his daughter through a hole in the wall and realise something is up when Elizabeth starts opening tears etc?

3. If you can co-exist with another version of yourself in a parallel universe, why do the Bookers 'merge' at the end? Surely he and Elizabeth would just be spectators on the events, watching Booker hand his daughter over to Robert etc.

4. WHO ARE THE 6 OTHER ELIZABETHS? Why has no one asked this?! Are they other versions of Elizabeth whose siphons were also destroyed and who consequently managed to reach omnipotence, all congregating there at the baptism just like our Elizabeth to kill 'accepting Booker'?

5. Andd does anyone want to start a petition with me asking for 2K/Irrational to begin developing their console and PC games separately? Nahh I'm kidding but seriously, take a look at the 2011 demo playthrough. It looked fucking insane. I heard they made that, and then watered it down as consoles couldn't have managed it -.-

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

1. No. That focuses on the one big event t.

2. They do. Sort of. Remember in that one world where he recalled fighting alongside the vox?

3. When did they merge?

4. Those where from all the other realities.

5. That's how all demos work. Stuff changes over time.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By probablytuna

For the third point, I think it's because those were either flashbacks or memories/scenarios recreated by Elizabeth to make Booker realise who he is. So the scene where Booker (you) hands over the baby or when you are on the boat heading towards the lighthouse sitting with Elizabeth, they're not other realities that Booker and Elizabeth jumped into so there is only one Booker.

Maunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man:

1. What focuses on the one big event? The game? Or the 'universe'?

2. Oh right. Is it because some memories already exist that he doesn't need to make more? Another thing that doesn't make sense: why do Chen Lin and the people you kill remember being dead? If anyone Booker would be the one struggling to cope as he was the one going into a world where he died. The others remained inside their own dimensions.

3. Right at the end, when you are remembering handing over the baby and wrestling Comstock for Anna. It's all in first person inplying you have merged with the Booker who carried out those acts 20 years ago.

4. I know they were from the other realities, I just wondered why there were only 6 (7 including ours). We know the Luteces have taken Booker into a different reality at least 122 other times, so there are at least 122 Elizabeths. I guess like I said those 6 must be from realities where the Luteces didn't interfere but the siphon was still destroyed. The Luteces would stop taking Booker through as soon as they found one that succeeded in destroying the siphon (the 123rd go - our playthrough), so those other Elizabeths must have become siphon-free & all-powerful by themselves.

5. And yeah. Guess you're right. Sucks tho.

Maunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Maunder

@probablytuna:

Oh okay. Makes sense. So they don't really happen at all. Does the baptism drowning scene happen then...? This makes my brain hurt DX

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@maunder said:

@the_laughing_man:

1. What focuses on the one big event? The game? Or the 'universe'?

2. Oh right. Is it because some memories already exist that he doesn't need to make more? Another thing that doesn't make sense: why do Chen Lin and the people you kill remember being dead? If anyone Booker would be the one struggling to cope as he was the one going into a world where he died. The others remained inside their own dimensions.

3. Right at the end, when you are remembering handing over the baby and wrestling Comstock for Anna. It's all in first person inplying you have merged with the Booker who carried out those acts 20 years ago.

4. I know they were from the other realities, I just wondered why there were only 6 (7 including ours). We know the Luteces have taken Booker into a different reality at least 122 other times, so there are at least 122 Elizabeths. I guess like I said those 6 must be from realities where the Luteces didn't interfere but the siphon was still destroyed. The Luteces would stop taking Booker through as soon as they found one that succeeded in destroying the siphon (the 123rd go - our playthrough), so those other Elizabeths must have become siphon-free & all-powerful by themselves.

5. And yeah. Guess you're right. Sucks tho.

1. The game at the end shows all the other universes. The BIGGEST event is the baptism.

3. Those are memories.

4. Didnt we go though 6 other realities?

Maunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man:

1. Ok. I kind of see what you mean.

3. Oohh they didn't really happen at all, they were recreated for Booker's sake.

4. Erm, I don't think so? Only 4 at max D: and why would that make them appear here. This is the one question I can't really find a definitive answer for, maybe because everyone thinks its obvious?

Maunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.