Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock

Franchise »

Bioshock is a series of award winning first person shooters published by 2K Games. The first and third games were developed by Ken Levine's Irrational Games, while the second installment was handled by 2K Marin.

Bioshock: The franchise that lost its new flavor

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By StaticFalconar

Bioshock 2: The franchise that lost its new flavor

Welcome to another Perch of StaticFalconar, this is the only time of year I have to blog about gaming in 2010. This is part 2 of reminiscing over Bioshock 2.

It’s good thing I had waited until the end of the year to write this since I am not alone. While I might not think the Bioshock franchise has “Jumped the shock” there was that certain something in the first one that drew me in. No it wasn’t the fire/ice effects, nor was it the relatively new setting of underwater instead of some WW2 again. It was purely the story setting. I had seen the trailers at E3 initially for Bioshock, and I wasn’t impressed. But it wasn’t until my friend had said “Bioshock is about you not knowing who you are, crash lands in a underwater city where you find out the outcome of a society based on science and freedom that radically hates religion and regulation.”

I was hooked. Sure it probably helped that I never studied any politics in my life, so some of the story wasn’t as much entertaining as it was pure insight and education of politics in theory. Of course there was more, but it was enough to get interested into a new franchise. But now we are at number 2 and soon to be number 3.

Since we can never truly “go back to the same home we remembered”, Bioshock would of course have to go forward. Its just too bad, the marketing team had totally lost sight of what made the first one interesting in the first place (at least to me). In Bioshock 2, the marketing was totally fixated on selling us the idea of fighting Big sisters and being a little sister. Bioshock 3 is like: “Yos, we’s in the Cloudz”. This may be interesting to someone else, but at least to me it just doesn’t do it since there is nothing of interest in it. You might as well show me the same flashy fire/ice effects of Bioshock 1, or the Vietnam inspired scene in Black Ops for the flash and flare; I’ll probably be just as bored as ever. Sure it may be fun to see, but it doesn’t draw me in. Just seeing the trailers, or someone playing these scenes would give me more enjoyment then actually playing it. This may not be true for those of you that love FPS games, but I’m sure I’m not alone.

Alright FPS fans, where do you see Bioshock franchise going? Does the trailers for FPS games showing all flash and flare do anything for you guys?

Tomorrow no more talk about a genre I know little about, instead it’ll be one I can write a book on. Fighting games.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By StaticFalconar

Bioshock 2: The franchise that lost its new flavor

Welcome to another Perch of StaticFalconar, this is the only time of year I have to blog about gaming in 2010. This is part 2 of reminiscing over Bioshock 2.

It’s good thing I had waited until the end of the year to write this since I am not alone. While I might not think the Bioshock franchise has “Jumped the shock” there was that certain something in the first one that drew me in. No it wasn’t the fire/ice effects, nor was it the relatively new setting of underwater instead of some WW2 again. It was purely the story setting. I had seen the trailers at E3 initially for Bioshock, and I wasn’t impressed. But it wasn’t until my friend had said “Bioshock is about you not knowing who you are, crash lands in a underwater city where you find out the outcome of a society based on science and freedom that radically hates religion and regulation.”

I was hooked. Sure it probably helped that I never studied any politics in my life, so some of the story wasn’t as much entertaining as it was pure insight and education of politics in theory. Of course there was more, but it was enough to get interested into a new franchise. But now we are at number 2 and soon to be number 3.

Since we can never truly “go back to the same home we remembered”, Bioshock would of course have to go forward. Its just too bad, the marketing team had totally lost sight of what made the first one interesting in the first place (at least to me). In Bioshock 2, the marketing was totally fixated on selling us the idea of fighting Big sisters and being a little sister. Bioshock 3 is like: “Yos, we’s in the Cloudz”. This may be interesting to someone else, but at least to me it just doesn’t do it since there is nothing of interest in it. You might as well show me the same flashy fire/ice effects of Bioshock 1, or the Vietnam inspired scene in Black Ops for the flash and flare; I’ll probably be just as bored as ever. Sure it may be fun to see, but it doesn’t draw me in. Just seeing the trailers, or someone playing these scenes would give me more enjoyment then actually playing it. This may not be true for those of you that love FPS games, but I’m sure I’m not alone.

Alright FPS fans, where do you see Bioshock franchise going? Does the trailers for FPS games showing all flash and flare do anything for you guys?

Tomorrow no more talk about a genre I know little about, instead it’ll be one I can write a book on. Fighting games.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By melcene

First, let me say that I'm not really a big FPS person.  I enjoy FPS/RPG crossovers, but yeah...  Also, I didn't really see Bioshock as an FPS.  Is that what it's counted as?

I really enjoyed the first Bioshock.   It was fresh and original.  But... the second one didn't draw me in at all.  By the time I got to the first Big Sister fight, I was just like "ok great, where's my flashy abilities."   Bioshock Infinite I'm just not even really interested in.  It's sad :(

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @melcene: Yeah, same here really. But i consider RPG to have some D&D roots in dice rolls and such, like Fallout New Vegas over something like Bioshock where your skill of aiming counts more then anything else. As entertaining as Bioshock 2 was to me, it just didn't draw me in as much as the original did hence this blog. Same thing for Assassins creed as well, but I ain't going to blog about that since it would basically be the same blog as this one. 
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By CptBedlam

I have absolutely no interest in BS2. 

However, I'm pretty excited for Bioshock Infinite. It looks great and the scenario is fresh.

I think it's best when they let each Bioshock game be it's own tale and Infinite seems like it will be that.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Whatever guy.

System Shock 2 is the best shock game. Bioshock can't compete.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.