Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bloodborne

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 24, 2015

An action role playing game by FromSoftware, marking the studio's debut on the PlayStation 4. It shares creative roots, as well as gameplay elements, with the Souls series.

That was the worst boss in any "Souls" game (some spoilers)

• 80 results
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@humanity: I'm gonna guess you didn't play aggressively enough. If you just dash attack into enemies with the blades they rip things apart (almost every attack other than the default R1 hits with both blades, dealing close to double damage). My main char ran with a +9 cane and +10 blades and while the cane is great for it's aoe potential it can't compete on damage, it's just too slow. I ended up using the cane on a handful of bosses due to hitbox issues, but even with the magic buff on it barely hits harder than the blades' dual attacks.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@ares42: I guess I was just playing the game wrong.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: heh, not saying that, you probably just didn't experiment enough with the weapon, since it gave a bad first impression.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

@humanity: Next to nothing but the slowest, biggest hits stunlocks the Cathedral Ward guys with the sticks. I recommend you give the weapon another go fully upgraded in dual wield mode, it's just beastly. The cane doesn't compare imo. I've tried almost every other weapon in the game (praise the dupe glitch) but I've yet to find a combo I like more than Blades and Ludwig's.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@development: He's a dude who has one move that is actually worth anything; unfortunately, it's really hard to dodge. He doesn't earn his victory and my own felt shallow as a result. Also, yeah: chasing around an enemy for ten minutes is cool and atmospheric the very first time, then never, ever again.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

I think that was among the coolest boss-fights in any Souls game. So weird, so unique, and so many ways to beat him.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that was among the coolest boss-fights in any Souls game. So weird, so unique, and so many ways to beat him.

I feel like I want to appreciate those aspects of it, but I was so frustrated by the end that all I feel is annoyance. I'm sure my second and third etc. playthroughs will shine new light on the fight.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

You can sheep herd him to go where you want him to go. I didn't think that part of the fight was hard at all. As for these trick bosses go, I appreciated it actually.

Yeah, his Call Beyond is damn powerful though. You can dodge it, but it's tough. A decent boss fight I thought.

nevalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Cheese Strategy: (Poison Knives)

1. Chase him into the first room where he starts attacking.

2. Damage him to 50%, which triggers him to run to the next location. At one point he will drop down to the lower level and typically you fall down and he continues running. DO NOT DROP DOWN.

3. Hit him with two poison knives. This will poison him and he'll have a spastic gas attack while the poison whittles his health. Once the poison wears off, just hit him again. (I think it's 1% health damage per tick, so you need around 12-14 knives).

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Beast Roar + Blade of Mercy = Micolash failing to attack you a single time. He doesn't even try.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as the Belfry Gargoyles continue to exist in Dark Souls 2, I'm going to have a hard time believing that there is a worse Souls boss out there.
    There is no defending the Belfry Gargoyles as a boss fight.

darkendskys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adequatelyprepared: the hardest part of that boss fight was getting to it without being invaded 4 times.

Just never stop moving and try to keep them all together in the middle do they don't get behind you.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Karkarov

@oni: I don't know dude, I do more damage with a single charged R2 Ludwig's than I do with like 5-6 r1 hits of the Mercy blades. Their range is also crap. They are just like the claw, a "niche" weapon that works really well for some people but most people don't like. Ludwig's in my opinion is easily the overall best weapon in the game due to it's great scaling with pretty much everything, good speed/power options, varied moveset, and nice range.

@humanity is pretty much correct. The Chikage and Burial Blade are easily the most stand out skill weapons. The threaded cane is okay though thanks to it's range options. Mercy blades? Like I said very niche.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@karkarov: Claw does ridiculously insane damage relative to basically everything, not good in pvp but if you ever want to rip apart some otherwise difficult bosses the claws are pretty good for that.

Loading Video...

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never found Micolash difficult at all, I beat him on my first try but it could just be because I was wearing the Students Uniform just for fun at the at time and I'd recently started buffing VIT, so even his AOE attack couldn't 1KO me, I just kept close and dodged through his attacks. I do agree it was a bit of a shitty boss-fight though, interesting in theory but totally unpleasant to actually play. After about 10 minutes of chasing him around in circles and hitting him once or twice in the back with the BoM each time I caught up, I ended up just standing still in a place with no mannequins and looking up the battle on the wiki just to make sure it wasn't bugged out. After that I followed him a bit slower and he eventually made it to the first room and the battle proceeded as intended I suppose?

I just can't agree with all the Rom haters out there though, I found that whole battle super interesting. I really appreciate bosses who seem legitimately reluctant to fight. I could definitely see him becoming a massive pain in the ass if you didn't beat him first try though. I thought the chalice dungeon variant of him was just boring, because it was exactly the same but without the story hooks and it took too long. I found you could dodge his icicles by just moving in one direction without doubling back, and the AOE of his ground icicle attack was just shown on the ground before it hit anyway.

Boniti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was a neat fight, in concept, although it totally broke for me (along with the next boss). Having it be in a bunch of hallways instead of some sort of arena really messed with my expectations going in, when you see a boss health bar like that you expect to just be taking something on if that makes sense. I felt like the maze-like foggy hallways matched the lore behind the area and the boss, or at least the lore I could find. Unfortunately due to that stupid memory leak leave your console on over night bug, he never attacked. And then when he went into the room at the end of the second chase sequence, instead of having to run around on top, I just ran up to the gate and he just slowly walked up and stood on the other side, allowing me to just beat him to death. I wish I had found the legitimate way to beat him on my own now. My experience was disappointing, but I feel like the design itself was neat. Actually, the fact that Micolash and Mergo's Wet Nurse completely broke for me is one of my reasons for going through NG+, cause I want to go through those fights for real and I'm concerned that perhaps other bosses also broke from it.

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

literally stay close, circle left or right around him and hit. all his attacks get stunned and his punches do barley much damage.

People seem to make these fights way harder than they are.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

@humanity is pretty much correct. The Chikage and Burial Blade are easily the most stand out skill weapons. The threaded cane is okay though thanks to it's range options. Mercy blades? Like I said very niche.

Incorrect, but thanks for playing! Blades>all. The speed and stunlock potential is just unmatched. Like I said, not necessarily great for bosses, but for everything else... Have Mercy.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oni: I'm really curious, you should record and upload some of this awesome Mercy Blades action because I really have to see it to believe it.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Karkarov

@humanity said:

@oni: I'm really curious, you should record and upload some of this awesome Mercy Blades action because I really have to see it to believe it.

He can't cause there is no such thing :p.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:
    @humanity said:

Well @ares42 showed me some of his moves with fully upgraded blades in NG+ and they were indeed stunlocking enemies. So I assume once you reach a certain damage threshold they are decent. The range is still a problem for me.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@oni: What if you add poison gems to the blades? Can bosses be poisoned at all?

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@humanity said:

@oni: In my first playthrough I was near the end of the game with 40+ Skill and closing in on level 90. I got those Blades up to +6 and went to Cathedral Ward where I should have been completely overleveled for the goons. At that point in the game I could kill those tall guys with the two handed axe in about 3 cane hits. The cane was +9 at the time. The Blades never stunlocked those enemies once and required me to dodge out of the way of their first swing before I could come back and finally take them down. They weren't even stunlocking the regular Blood Church goons with the sticks.

Maybe you need to get over a certain damage threshold I dunno. I saw no benefit from upgrading them any further because whats the point if the cane is outclassing them in every way. I'm sacrificing both distance and a very useful alternate mode for faster attacks. If I can kill a guy from a moderate distance in 2 hits or from close up in 5 hits, and it's going to take the same amount of time, whats the advantage?

My character was completely spec'd for Skill so I don't know why my experience is so much different from everyone elses. Maybe they really get good at +9? At that point in the game I wasn't really ready to sacrifice chunks on a weapon that I found underwhelming thus far. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not just making all this stuff up - thats how poorly they performed for me and honestly there are better weapons like the katana (whose name I always forget) or the Scythe that offer both more damage and better charge-up/alternate modes with Skill scaling.

This is anecdotal but when I fought The Celestial Emissary with the Blades I stun-lock killed him so fast he existed in his transformed state for at most .4 seconds. I upgraded the blades every chance I got and holy crap does it ever pay off. I was able to catch most bosses in a stun-lock, and even if I didn't the hits are so fast that you can still get a few swings out before dodging. Add on the fact that after the dodge you can attack out of it to close the distance and keep your combo going and you've got some pretty devastating weapons in my opinion. I went through the majority of the game with them an beat every boss in 2-4 tries. And I'm not very good at this game.

Could it be that you never got them to A scaling, or that you were using them in their non-transformed state?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played Bloodborne yet, but I doubt this boss is worse than Bed of Chaos. What a steaming pile of shit that fight was.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Oni

@dussck said:

@oni: What if you add poison gems to the blades? Can bosses be poisoned at all?

Some can, but that's just not worth it. If you want to poison a boss or something, just bring some poison throwing knives and keep the Blades for damage. Maybe for PvP I can see a use for poison gems in the blades, but for PvE? nah, raw damage>all.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

@humanity said:

Ye of little faith. I just did a Root Chalice depth 5 (lower Loran) with all modifiers active using only the Blades (except for Amygdala, the last boss, because Ludwigs is too good for hitting the head). I wanted to share it and upload but forgot the PS4 only saves the last 15 minutes, which was mostly me dying to Amygdala. Maybe I'll do another later. In any case I'm sure Youtube has you covered if you want to see how awesome the Blades are. I know I have Epicnamebro in my corner anyway, he loves the Blades!

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found most of the bosses in the main story to be pushovers. Just stun lock to win. I had more trouble with Chalice dungeon Layer 5 bosses to the point I nearly threw my controller at my TV for the first time in a long time..

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#79  Edited By IBurningStar

Dragon God
    Bed of Chaos
    Pinwheel
    Covetous Demon
    Skeleton Lords
    Prowling Magus and Congregation
    and the three assholes from the Sunken Crown DLC

Those are all contenders for worst fight in the serious. The first two are extremely tedious, the next four have a nonexistent level of challenge, and the last one is the laziest and cheapest excuse for a boss fight imaginable. As far as I am concerned, Micolash is an alright fight.

sjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't have trouble with this boss. Now Rom the Fuck-Spider was a pain in my ass.

Yeah, seriously. I thought this was immediately going to be about Rom when I saw the thread title. I generally enjoyed the BB bosses, but Rom ranks only second place next to Bed of Chaos when it comes to the worst boss fight in a Souls game.

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Micolash was my favourite boss, despite beating him on the first try.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.