Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

Borderlands 2's "Girlfriend Mode"

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By realph
    No Caption Provided

This seems to be causing quite the stir this afternoon. Full Eurogamer Story.

During a studio tour of Gearbox's Dallas offices, the developer showed us a work in progress build of the Mechromancer, planned to launch around 60 days after the game releases in September. Currently, the Mechromancer uses assets lifted from Maya, the Siren, for her arms. But her design and one out of three skill trees is complete.

The skill tree is called Best Friends Forever, what lead designer John Hemingway dubbed the "girlfriend mode".

"The design team was looking at the concept art and thought, you know what, this is actually the cutest character we've ever had. I want to make, for the lack of a better term, the girlfriend skill tree. This is, I love Borderlands and I want to share it with someone, but they suck at first-person shooters. Can we make a skill tree that actually allows them to understand the game and to play the game? That's what our attempt with the Best Friends Forever skill tree is."

Pitchford has since taken to Twitter, to refute such claims of a "girlfriend mode".

Borderlands 2 does NOT have a girlfriend mode. Anyone that says otherwise is misinformed or trying to stir up something that isn’t there.

Source: Bit Thirsty

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Where were all these sycophants who are crucifying Gearbox now when Shigeru Miyamoto first introduced "girlfriend mode" a few years ago?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By McGhee

Jeff was already complaining about it on Twitter.

I, for one, look forward to a cutesy character in Borderlands because the more cuteness in life the better.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By bibamatt

@TeflonBilly said:

Where were all these sycophants who are crucifying Gearbox now when Shigeru Miyamoto first introduced "girlfriend mode" a few years ago?

As far as I'm aware, Miyamoto didn't ever name that "girlfriend mode". I think the problem here is that the article states "The skill tree is called Best Friends Forever, what lead designer John Hemingway dubbed the "girlfriend mode"."

I doubt the game will ship with a mode/skill tree named "girlfriend mode". They'd be crucified (quite rightly). But, if the lead designer really did say this, it's absolute right to call him out on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yep. he said something sexist and shitty and got called on it, should apologise. that's pretty much it.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nottle

I heard a lot of this on twitter. I didn't get what the deal was. It's a dumb name, it's been used before, why are people upset now? Why can't they use a different term. Seems very strange that people are up in arms about this, when its been a thing for a while.

Though i do want a best friend skill tree, that name sounds neat.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Borderlands 2 does NOT have a girlfriend mode. Anyone that says otherwise is misinformed or trying to stir up something that isn’t there.

Gah, the skill tree in question is making the game easier for fps newbies, which is just good. 
    So, nothing to discuss about 'girlfriend mode'.
    WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WMWA

Nontroversy

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By Little_Socrates
    KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Who gives a flying fuck? Seriously. Watching people get so uptight about such trivial shit is simultaneously funny and frustrating.

If anything, the real thing to be upset about is that the Mechromancer has a whole skill tree dedicated to something like that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

And ten years ago the game called you a pussy for playing on easy. The times.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By time allen

well we've gotta keep our pitchforks sharp somehow

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Girlfriend mode" has always been a gross and stupid name, but people passively accepted it when it was reffered to as such in Super Mario Galaxy. It's been used sparingly to describe similar modes in other games. The fact that this perhaps tactless developer used the popularized term for such a mode to better convey what it was does not deserve the drubbing all the holier than thou pundits are dishing out on Twitter and the like.

As another guy tweeted to Ryan, when did moral outrage take the place of screenshots in games press coverage?

You keep seeing it alot lately wether it was the stupid phrasing of the Tomb Raider developer about protecting Lara or the extremely shoddy coverage of the FGC debacle.

Editorials are where you're supposed to wax philosophical and pontificate about these things. News articles which are supposed to inform the consumer of the mechanics, graphical prowess or gameplay modes of an upcoming game should be free of whatever agenda these dregs of gaming journalism have to drum up more drama and by association hits. The Eurogamer article had "girlfriend mode" posted over it more times than I cared to count.

I despise the term "Girlfriend mode", but I'm sorry it became part of the developer vocabulary when you let it happen all those years ago.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14  Edited By mesoian

Such a non issue. No one, and I mean literally no one, had a problem with the term "Girlfriend mode" two years ago. Hell, it was socially accepted and endorsed by the majority of the gaming press.

Slow monday news day.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

It's definitely Monday in the videogame industry.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By kidman

holy political correctness, jesus christ

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RE_Player1

Must be a slow week if people are riled up over this...

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Little_Socrates: Every bullet you fire screams "Hey! Hey! You! You!".

Chroma_Auron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By Chroma_Auron

It was stupid and slightly unintentionally sexist of that guy to call it that but at least it got cleared up fast.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By BaconHound
    @OneKillWonder_
    Who gives a flying fuck? Seriously. Watching people get so uptight about such trivial shit is simultaneously funny and frustrating.

If anything, the real thing to be upset about is that the Mechromancer has a whole skill tree dedicated to something like that.
    This.
    Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Elazul

@Little_Socrates said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I cannot express enough how little I care. It's a stupid term and yeah if the dudes doing an interview he should have phrased things differently. But, surprise surprise, this has become a way bigger issue then it needs to be.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By BlackLagoon

I got enough of Girlfriend Mode during the Burnout Paradise TNT.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Akrid

Imagine this guys surprise when he uses a term that's thrown about pretty liberally in places where games are played, and the whole internet comes crashing down on him. It's either hypocrisy or some function of apathy, I can't decide.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Animasta

itt a bunch of guys think girlfriend mode is not offensive lolol

best friends forever mode? fine term, if a little long in the tooth. person who is shit at games mode is what I would call it (borderlands 2 is M, right?), but girlfriends mode is a little offensive sorry for offending all your guy sensibilities (obviously some of y'all guys don't like it either, so no offense to you)

edit; just because it was used in the past doesn't make it okay now either though I would think that would be obvious

betterboulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By betterboulder

Where's "Girl-who-just-happens-to-be-my-friend" mode?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Fallen189

Get over it

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#28  Edited By Little_Socrates

@Elazul: This is fine I want your cries they're so delicious

And HELL YEAH I am motherfucking vicious.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By altairre

@BaconHound said:

@OneKillWonder_

This.

Pretty much.

colubroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By colubroid

Now Brad needs to stop talking on Bombcasts about how his girlfriend has problems with the difficulty in some action games?

Childish hissy fits are not a sign of enlightenment.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bacongames

I don't think the lack (or presence) of people getting riled up is any metric for anything ever. If no one gets riled up, its not a justification to keep doing something and if people do get riled its not an excuse to just abandon it. With that said, "girlfriend mode" was a cute joke at first but its presumptuous about real people in the real world that comes off as condescending. It assumes like a gross person would that the people who don't or can't play games are the self-same girlfriends of the people who do play games. The label is something that can't really be pinned to one person, since the gaming community really took it and made it a real meme, but a lead designer saying dumb shit begets dumb shit.

For years we've had asynchronous co-op as the proper term for "girlfriend mode" in the database and that should have been the long and short of the debate. If they were trying to go for a tree that appeals to new or unskilled players, refer to it as that on those terms and let reality sort it out. It's just shitty all around. Shitty that "girlfriend mode" is a term that has more than a kernel of truth to it but shitty that we have to presume all girlfriends suck at video games when using it. If Patrick is any reference, he uses asynchronous co-op with his girlfriend all the time but I bet the first sign of it being labeled like that for no good reason is met is hostility. So clearly there's a way to make it work and I doubt the Gearbox guys don't know that. I'd rather everyone recognize this shit is dumb than just dismiss it though. There's no real value like a sexy character or a funny joke to excuse anything, its just kind of pointless really.

@JoeyRavn said:

@Little_Socrates: Every bullet you fire screams "Hey! Hey! You! You!".

Now if they actually put in a girlfriend mode in the game and it was some surreal shit like that, then people would be on board.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ThunderSlash

@Animasta: i know rite? its as if the devs are tauntin there audeince by thinking that they can have girlfriends. pfff as if nerds hav gfs

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ares42

Is it just me or has gaming news been turning more and more into tabloid news this year ? I'm getting really tired of all this non-gaming political correctness non-sense. Some developer said something stupid ? I don't care. Someone's making an immature game ? Good for them. Tell me about the games, not this quasi-gaming headline chasing completely irrelevant bullshit.

DEMONOLOGY_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DEMONOLOGY_24

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait for the HAWP episode.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BraveToaster

@Ares42 said:

Is it just me or has gaming news been turning more and more into tabloid news this year ?.

The latter seems about right to me.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Toxin066

@Little_Socrates said:

That's pretty much all that needs to be said.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By awesomeusername

Don't know what's stupider. This or people going crazy over Miley Cyrus' new haircut. I swear, people are such babies these days.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#39  Edited By BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BaconGames Yeah I would be incredibly impressed with hypocrisy if either Brad or Patrick came out against this considering they make this reference all the time and Brad in specific has used the term himself. And why not? It's a descriptive term for a common scenario. Are we still at the point where we care about how good people are at games?
    AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AngelN7

Here we Go!... *Cue for a Dark Knight Joker GIF*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EvilKatarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By EvilKatarn

I, as a 20 year old man, am so offended by this that I must run to Twitter and write up an editorial for Kotaku about how offended I, as a 20 year old man, am over the possibility that there might be a game mode in a shooter designed to be a bit easier for newcomers or whatever.

This is so fucking ridiculous. I feel like I've ranted about there being a hundred stories about misogyny in gaming this summer and this shit just keeps on going.

When stuff's getting to the point where I need to whine about there being too much whining about a subject then it's gone far too far.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I'm not saying it's not offensive, but the sensibilities of the kind of morons that incessantly bitch about stuff like this is exponentially more offensive to me.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By captain_clayman

this is controversial? who gives a shit?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46  Edited By AuthenticM

@OneKillWonder_ said:

It's not trivial shit. This shit perpetuates the false notion that girls "don't understand" video games and are bad at them. It's ignorant, insulting and sexist. People like you putting their heads in the sand and pretending that nothing is wrong are part of the problem. Grow up.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By Animasta

@PrivateIronTFU said:

I'm not saying it's not offensive, but the sensibilities of the kind of morons that incessantly bitch about stuff like this is exponentially more offensive to me.

no one's incessantly bitching about it. They're just saying this is a term that's kind of offensive. No, this obviously isn't a big deal, but then again is it a big deal the other way? do we NEED to keep using it? This isn't about players using it, but developers; and if they start just referring it to asynchronous coop, then the issue is solved.

DeadVillager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DeadVillager

I don't see any controversy that doesn't involve unnecessarily liberal interpretations of what the phrase "girlfriend mode" is supposed to communicate.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@Animasta said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

no one's incessantly bitching about it. They're just saying this is a term that's kind of offensive. No, this obviously isn't a big deal, but then again is it a big deal the other way? do we NEED to keep using it? This isn't about players using it, but developers; and if they start just referring it to asynchronous coop, then the issue is solved.

I said "Incessantly bitches about stuff like this". I didn't say this problem specifically.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#50  Edited By Phatmac

@Brodehouse: Games have evolved!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.