Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

A brief encounter with a hacker

Ironbunny007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ironbunny007

About 5 minutes ago i was in a game of BL, all by myself, but in an open game. Suddenly, a guy comes in... "A helpless noob" or something was his gamertag He is level 62. 
    Me: 62, huh? 
    Him: Yep. 
    Me: How'd you hack it? 
    Him: Sunshine and rainbows, you like skill points? 
    He then starts dropping hundreds of skillpoints- circuit-looking things the size of a backpack sdu. I make some halfhearted comment about how sketchy this is while greedily taking as much points as possible. 
    Me: This is really wierd. will my xbox malf--- 
    My xbox: ITS REDRING TIME, MOTHAFUCKAS!
    Me: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU 

So my xbox shut down before i could save anything, no cheating for me. I was extremely pissed at first... but then i considered  that he might be trying to give me a virus or something as well. Now I don't know what to think.   
    I was just wondering if anybody knows more about how this type of thing works. What would you have done?(I mean, if your xbox didnt redring). Has  it happened to you? Discuss!

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

He can't hack your 360. If that's what your worried about.

Ironbunny007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ironbunny007
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " He can't hack your 360. If that's what your worried about. "
    Not worried, just confused.
    Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ChristianCastillo

So your xbox shutdown by itself? and how is it doing now?

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By StarFoxA

I have a few questionable weapons that I've received from people online. Particularly a pistol that fires so fast that it has crashed the game on occasion.

Ironbunny007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ironbunny007
    @ChristianCastillo: It's actually been randomly shutting down because of redring for some time now... sometimes it wont start, other times 45 minutes in  it crashes. At the moment it refuses to start up, but this has happened before.
    grugvoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By grugvoth

Yeah, this kind of thing can happen a lot with this game since the save file has been cracked wide open allowing people to basically generate items with any attribute they like. Kind of annoying and lead me to only playing in private matches rather than public ones.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By End_Boss

How amusing.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By AlwaysAngry

British kids always threaten to hack my 360. 

Recently, I reported one for glitching Gears 2, so he threatened to hack my account. I know he can't though, so I just yelled and cursed at him out of anger.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Trilogy

This is why I only play alone or with people I know.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By CenturionCajun

I have run into these people so often that I now don't even bother with open games. You almost never find anyone other than these hackers.

From my experience most of their hacked weapons do things which break the game so violently that they literally can crash your 360. I ran into one guy who had modified the Leviathan rocket launcher so it fired dozens of its basketball like rounds. This would cause the frame rate to become a slide show to the point where it was unplayable. Another time a guy jumped into my Mad Moxxi tournament run through only to vanish a couple of minutes later when some other dude showed up who was looking for him. I couldn't tell if he was a Gearbox mod or someone who this guy had messed over.

So yeah they keep breaking these mods when they release a new title update but everyone keeps on hacking it. I don't think it will ever completely go away unfortunately.

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

This simply sounds like an exploit that results in a CPU-stop state or a crash on the 360. There's really no way for him to "hack" without immediate detection on the service. I would surmise it's akin to a buffer-overflow on a computer browser. I would just avoid this type of exploit altogether and report the player to the service mods.

Earthborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Earthborn

I only play BL with some good-natured friends of mine for EXACTLY this reason.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Like a few others this is why I only play private matches (always looking for a few more 'real' players who like to do quests, skip the PLing and hacking).
    It just ruins the fun - if you can generate your own gun why bother playing at all? Finding something good and unique IS the fun.

kylekrueger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kylekrueger
    @SteamPunkJin said:
    " Like a few others this is why I only play private matches (always looking for a few more 'real' players who like to do quests, skip the PLing and hacking). It just ruins the fun - if you can generate your own gun why bother playing at all? Finding something good and unique IS the fun. "
    I agree complete i just recently started to do the same thing because i was sick of people joining my games trying to show of the same twisted something or other that every kid seems to have.
    myalt22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By myalt22
    @Trilogy: You.. uh, you like playing with yourself, eh? It seems you don't mind a good 'ol circlejerk either. good for you.

Back on topic, you deserverd red ring for cheating.
    Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Trilogy
    @myalt22 said:
    " @Trilogy: You.. uh, you like playing with yourself, eh? It seems you don't mind a good 'ol circlejerk either. good for you.  Back on topic, you deserverd red ring for cheating. "
    That's what happens when you circle jerk with people you don't know. You get aids... I mean the red ring of death.
    inhaleandvomit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By inhaleandvomit

ugh, hackers.  no wonder borderlands online is a cesspool of failure.  when the game first dropped last year, i played exclusively online with strangers and had a lot of fun.  now it's always some prepubescent kid yammering around his "sweet modz" or else i get kicked from a public match before i can even say hi.  someone, inevitably, always makes fun of my gamertag and calls me a fag immediately.

fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fentonalpha
    @Ironbunny007 said:
    " My xbox: ITS REDRING TIME, MOTHAFUCKAS!
    Me: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU   "
    I am sorry for your loss but that made me laugh real hard... well done....
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ArchScabby
    @Ironbunny007:  I don't think he can actually harm your Xbox.
    ELBUMBLERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ELBUMBLERO

"I make some halfhearted comment about how sketchy this is while greedily taking as much points as possible."

"So my xbox shut down before i could save anything, no cheating for me. I was extremely pissed at first... but then i considered  that he might be trying to give me a virus or something as well. Now I don't know what to think."

That's the entire point! You're not supposed to think, you're supposed to mindlessly consume! You were doing great up until your game crashed.

And viruses don't exist.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.