Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

What's the best way to level up weapon proficiencies?

User_Hostile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By User_Hostile

OK so I'm going to tackle Mad Moxxie in the next week or so, and I keep hearing people suggest that you shouldn't try it until your proficiencies are near lvl 50.

At the moment my combat rifle is at about 30, snpier at 25 and everything else WAY behind.  What's the quickest way to level them up fast?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

Go grind in Old Haven. That will surely raise them.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Some kind of ammo regeneration class mod. And Old Haven does sound good.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By fripplebubby

Yeah, Old Haven is a real good place, if that's what you're into. 

smashforge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By smashforge

If your a Hunter then Eridian Promontory is the best with Trespass(w/ 5 points to it gives you 100% to ignore shields and Guardians have high shields and low health) plus you can find some nice loot while your at it.  Just don't forget the red chest to the left rapped around the cliff when facing the entrance to the vault.  

or for everyone else maybe try the Stagzilla exploit(the last shot of the gun you kill him with lvls)
    kwyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By kwyee
    @smashforge:   @User_Hostile:  
    I agree with smashforge.   If you're Mordecai and you have 5 pts in Trespass (== 100% avoid shields), the aliens fall fast (they have high shields but low health).  You should be able to one-shot them with a decent mid-40s level weapon no matter your current proficiencies. 

The Eridian Promontory is still a good place for  the other characters because the enemies give you so much XP.  Old Haven seems to give less XP per second so it'll take you a longer time to proficiency up.  Instead, just run through the Promontory and then exit the game and repeat.   
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#7  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I agree with everyone who said Eridian Promontory, as someone who has max proficiencies myself.

Linchburg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Linchburg

I'm at the beginning of playthrough 2 around level 42 and my highest proficiency is ~20 (Roland, CR) 
    I find myself switching weapons based on situation.  should I just stick with CR/Machine Gun combo for close/far to get that proficiency up as quickly as possible? 

other proficiencies are between 8 and ....  say 12 or 14

User_Hostile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By User_Hostile

Thanks for all the great responses guys, just for the record I'm using a soldier class with ammo regen, from the looks of the posts I think I'll end up heading to Eridian and grinding it out that way.

thePAHC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By thePAHC

Does the level of the monster and your level affect the weapon level up? Like, I'm a 47 hunter with 31 sniper, 15 eridian, pistols, smgs, 0 launcher, 0 shotgun, 5 combat rifle... I have trespass and all I really use is sniper rifles. I'm on plathrough 2, but if I load playthrough 1 and go back to the alien place, will my proficiencies still level up well? Basically, will killing level 47 bandits and zombies be more effective for leveling up weapons than killing an assload of aliens? Thanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.