Broken Sword free from GOG until 10/1/11

#1 Edited by louiedog (2335 posts) -

GOG.com hit their 6 millionth game download milestone and they are giving out a free copy of Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars to celebrate. You get both the original version and the Director's Cut that came out a couple of years ago. It will be free until Oct 1, 2011 at 7:59 EDT.

link

#2 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

Thanks for the heads up. Fantastic adventure game and great to see the original (superior) version included.

I have an original physical copy somewhere.

#3 Posted by Appuh (42 posts) -
@IkariNoTekken Why is the original superior?
#4 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

just asking, does this suffer from the same logic problems that turn me off most adventure games?

#5 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -
@Appuh said:
@IkariNoTekken Why is the original superior?
The Director's Cut censors some things to make it more kid friendly, probably because it was released on the Wii and DS. They removed some light swearing, blood, and changed around some other things in cut scenes. There's also some new story stuff and puzzles that fans of the original don't care for.  If you've never played the original you'd probably be fine playing the Director's Cut.
#6 Posted by MattyFTM (14383 posts) -

Awesome. I love broken sword. It's a fantastic game. I own it on disk, but having a digital version for free is great.

#7 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

22 hours left. 

I really hope everyone picks up and plays this game. It's a classic. Taken all together, I really feel like adventure games like this hold up much better over the years than most genres. The 2d games being made today don't play much differently than they did 20 years ago. As long as the art style is good they are easy to get into and play.

#8 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3483 posts) -

It's a great game, lads.

#9 Posted by BoG (5188 posts) -

Odd. I actually may be purchasing this game on DS, only because someone is selling it on Ebay along with a copy of Last Window: The Secret of Cape West. It was the cheapest copy of Last Window I could find.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.