Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brütal Legend

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Brütal Legend is a humorous heavy-metal, open-world, action-adventure game with light real-time strategy elements. As Eddie Riggs, lead the people of the Brütal World to rise up against the Tainted Coil demons who rule the world, and their leader, the sinister Emperor Doviculus.

Does Brutal Legend act like Metal is dead? wtf?

• 79 results
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By PureRok
    @mhkjtha: That pirate themed song was good (it actually had me nodding my head to it, which almost never happens), but then the guy started singing and ruined it.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By iamjohn

This thread is now about the only good metal act to come out in the last ten or fifteen years: Horse the Band. 

Actually, that's not fair.  Mastodon is pretty great too.
    Storphrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Storphrax
    @PureRok said:
    " @mhkjtha: That pirate themed song was good (it actually had me nodding my head to it, which almost never happens), but then the guy started singing and ruined it. "
    I had the exact same reaction.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Kyodra said:

"

No Caption Provided
    "
    That is the most awesome thing I have seen all day haha, thank you! 

BTW, is that Coonce, looks just like him lol.
    Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Nekroskop

Metal is still big here in Europe and even the old bands have a huge following. Several bands have stated that in the US, the fans maybe hang on for a few years until they grow tired of the band, but Europeans are one of the most loyal fans there is. If you ever get the chance, you should visit the  Wacken-festival. Over 70 000 people show up there each year. Metal is definitly not dead here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacken_Open_Air

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By xymox
    @Gunner said:

" @Xymox said:

" @Gunner said:

" Now if you want to talk about a dead genre, lets talk about punk. There hasn't been an epic album from a punk band since the 90's. "

What album do you have in mind? Personally, I can't think of any epic punk album released past Dead Kennedys Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables in 1980, and honestly, that's stretching it. Because there was a whole lot more interesting stuff going on during that time.  "
    Smash, Dookie, Nevermind, Out Came the Wolves, Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues, Punk in Drublic, Recipe for Hate, Energy... Just from the top of my mind.    The 90's were THE era for punk, the 80's were pretty epic too dont get me wrong, but the 90's brought forth so many different styles in punk that can never be duplicated by other artists than the ones the pioneered them. "
    Oh yeah, Smash was pretty cool. But for offspring I prefer their debut album. As for green day I don't know... In my eyes they pretty much did what Generation X had tried to do many years before, but succeeded. But that's me being a jerk. There's no denying their impact, but their music is not for me. 

Nevermind, in my opinion, is far enough from punk just like Only Theatre of Pain, as to stand on it's own. Their origins are obvious but they've moved beyond that base. Don't get me wrong though, I won't argue that its not one of the most important records in music in general, so I'll back you up on that one. But some people would hesitate to call it punk, which in my opinion is a shame.

I think DK puts it quite well in chickenshit conformist:  
     "Punk's not dead
    It just deserves to die 
    When it becomes another stale cartoon
    A close-minded, self-centered social club
    Ideas don't matter, it's who you know
    If the music's gotten boring
    It's because of the people
    Who want everyone to sound the same"     

I'm not personally a fan of ska punk (but I almost want to argue that bands like The Ruts layed down the grownd work for that stuff in the late 70's ... So I'm not convinced to call it epic just yet). I haven't heard enough NoFX apart from hearing a song of theirs in a tony hawk game, so I'm not touching those.  

I think experimentation and genre mixing is a positive thing. Because lets face it, there are hoards of copy paste "punk" bands.  
    That's not just the late 90's with a myriad of pop punk bands, but that stuff happened in the late 70's as well. And the moment someone would try something fresh, like The Scream by siouxsie, few wanted to regard it as punk. But, even though I'm an avid defender of all things 80's, not even the 80's are free from the copy paste stuff -- there was some interesting crust punk in the mid 80's but it suffered the same fate. But I guess that doesn't really matter because you convinced me with Nevermind. 
    tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By tooPrime
    @Gunner: "The 90's were THE era for punk"  I know what you're getting at, but out of context this statement is absurd.  
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#58  Edited By demonbear
    @mhkjtha: Dude of course its ridiculous to you, you're probably living in what i consider the most metal town on the freaking planet, sooo much great bands are outta  gothenbur, its ridiculous, what are you guys doing there? raising so much metal talent.

Love In Flames. :D
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#59  Edited By Tordah
    @Gunner said:
    " Metal is way bigger than what most metal heads lead it on to be due to the fact that it spread into a shitload of sub genre's. "
    This. In the 80s thrash and heavy metal were pretty much the only two sub-genres that got any mainstream attention. These days it seems to me that metalcore is the sub-genre that gets the most mainstream exposure in America (correct me if I'm wrong) while the rest of the sub-genres pretty much remain in the shadows. The thing is, though, that there are way more sub-genres and active bands now than ever before but only a fracture of those bands get any mainstream attention. Not to mention that many metal bands don't even aspire to achieve any mainstream fame.

In my country (Finland) bands like Children Of Bodom, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Lordi, Sentenced, Finntroll etc are incredibly huge but from what I understand that's not the case in most countries outside of Scandinavia. Metal albums are constantly appearing on our domestic top 40 album charts and they get quite a lot of radio plays as well. I'm not saying those bands are the best metal bands out there. Far from it, actually. But that's a completely different story.
    Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#60  Edited By Phished0ne

The reason I personally dislike most metal is the singing, except  for the old stuff, when metal bands had real singers.  But, that being said, much like many genres, I personally think it starts to die  when people care about it  enough to  carefully divide it into over 1 million sub genres. Look at Rap, you could devide it down like that, but no one cares to. its *Gangster* Rap, Underground Rap ,  Hip-Hop(or "Conscious Rap"), and thats all. Meanwhile "Metal" is so thick with subgenres its hard to decide  where i should go, should i listen to Black Metal? or Viking Metal, or Speed Metal, its too hard to pick out something. Meanwhile with rap its easy , do you want to listen to BlackStar, MF Doom,  or 50 Cent?    

Its like Empires throughout history, you spread yourself too thin...then you cant cover the ground.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

It acts like hair metal is dead. you know back when they all had to have weird or long hair?

Basically when metallica got hair cuts and were called sell outs....cause they...cut their hair..

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Capum15
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " It acts like hair metal is dead. you know back when they all had to have weird or long hair?  Basically when metallica got hair cuts and were called sell outs....cause they...cut their hair.. "
    ...for some random-ass reason, I am now thinking of the hair of "A Flock Of Seagulls" in the "I Ran" video.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By TwoOneFive

its dead in america, despite what some fanboys may claim... 

oh, and LMFAO @ metal accordion player

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Tordah
    @Phished0ne said:
    " The reason I personally dislike most metal is the singing, except  for the old stuff, when metal bands had real singers. "
    Uh, by "real singers" I assume you mean clean vocals, which is what a majority of metal bands still have to this day. The only genres that generally don't have a lot of clean vocals are death and black metal since growls are a major part of those particular styles. Hell, even doom metal which is considered an "extreme" sub-genre of metal (hate that term) features clean vocals prominently.

I do sort of agree with your point that all the different sub-genres spread the metal genre as a whole a bit thin from a mainstream perspective. I'm all for sub-genres and categorizing. It makes finding specific sounding music much easier and convenient.
    Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Phished0ne

The thing with metal is back in the day it was about the style as well as the music, and for the most part the style is gone, i havent seen many bands now-a-days that have big elaborate stage sets, etc,etc..but i dont really goto the right kind of shows for that so i wouldn't know. 

@Tordah said:

" @Phished0ne said:
    " The reason I personally dislike most metal is the singing, except  for the old stuff, when metal bands had real singers. "
     I'm all for sub-genres and categorizing. It makes finding specific sounding music much easier and convenient. "

Yeah thats understandable, i am just generally about trashing genres because a lot of the music i listen to defies so many genres that you cant effectively categorize it anyway. I mean  what .......The Disco Biscuits would be "Psychedelic/electronic/jam rock" and Phish does everything from playing Funk to singing Barbershop Quartet.  I just think we are getting to the point of defining a band by what "genre" they are is counter-intuitive to just enjoying the music. People get too caught up in  "i listen to __insert genre here___" that they cant just enjoy music for what it is. 
    mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By mhkjtha
    @Tordah said:

Uh, by "real singers" I assume you mean clean vocals, which is what a majority of metal bands still have to this day.  "

LOL thats NOT true.
    there are tons of bands with clean vocals but theyre DEFFINETLY the minority. by a large margin. 

@Phished0ne: Sub-genres and genres in general are merely definitions. So your argument about how sub genres kills metal is redundant because you can simply disagree with the people who choose to divide them into tons of sub genres.
    Amorfati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Amorfati
    @ahaisthisourchance said:
    " Metal is still big here in Europe and even the old bands have a huge following. Several bands have stated that in the US, the fans maybe hang on for a few years until they grow tired of the band, but Europeans are one of the most loyal fans there is.
    Yes, I have heard Dio himself say that in an interview.
    Rirobuge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By Rirobuge

Sub-genres are invented to cause flame. Listen to the music you like and stop bitching about what the mainstream says modern metal is.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#69  Edited By JonathanMoore

Personally, I don't care for the Metal of yore. Although I generally listen to Hip-Hop, more definitively Grime, I listened to Metal all the way through High School and know that Old-School Metal bores the living hell out of me. Bring on the new generation of Metal is what I say...

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Famov

Yeah really, what's with all of the sub genres of sub genres of sub genres? I think that Super Mario Bros. is an experimental 80's post Pitfall acid Platformer and I think Sonic the Hedgehog is a technical speed mascot platformer. Which one is superior should be obvious!

Crash Bandicoot is a new wave post mascot new dimension platformer, and is thus not a real platformer at all! 

As someone who is not a huge music fan, I have a difficult time coming to terms with the baggage associated with attempting to enjoy anything, at all, ever. What if what I like happens to be in the genre of black new grunge metal, and thus sucks!?
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Tordah
    @mhkjtha said:

" @Tordah said:

Uh, by "real singers" I assume you mean clean vocals, which is what a majority of metal bands still have to this day.  "

LOL thats NOT true.
    there are tons of bands with clean vocals but theyre DEFFINETLY the minority. by a large margin. "
    I did a rough calculation based on the bands in metal archives database ( http://www.metal-archives.com/ ) and got 46 422 bands with clean vocals and 44 714 bands with growls. I calculated the growls by adding the total amount of bands from Black and Death sub-genres as well as 50% of the bands from the Folk/Viking and Doom sub-genres (since bands in those genres tend to use either styles or both so that's why I split them). The clean vocals I got by adding the rest of the sub-genres. 

Obviously this is FAR from being an accurate calculation since all bands can appear in more than one genre list and many bands don't use either style exclusively, but it gives a general overview of things. I admit that my previous comment about clean vocals being a majority was a bit of an exaggeration, though. It seems to be more evenly divided than I had expected.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Famov said:
    "I think that Super Mario Bros. is an experimental 80's post Pitfall acid Platformer and I think Sonic the Hedgehog is a technical speed mascot platformer. Which one is superior should be obvious! Crash Bandicoot is a new wave post mascot new dimension platformer, and is thus not a real platformer at all!
    This is win.
    Hypertrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Hypertrooper
    @Elazul said:
    " @tooPrime said:
    " Good Metal is dead.  Metal that involves playing instruments and not sodomizing them is dead. "
    Very true. I love most of the stuff in Brutal Legend but I honestly can't stand Death and Black Metal and I'm sure Tim feels pretty much the same way. "
    Wait you say: Death Metal and Black Metal aren't Good Metal? Come on. If you live in the Death Metal Scene you will meet a lot of funny people! Who loves the music. From everyone you got beer and this shit. It's a incredible community. Good Metal: Heavy Metal, Death Metal, Black Metal, Old Power Metal, Thrash Metal.
    But this is my opinion. But if you say Tim has the same way, then i ask you: Emperor, Enslaved are black metal. So why there on the songlist?

And sorry for my english. i'm from the glory land of the Metal Festival=Germany.(Wacken etc.)
    Fei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Fei
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#75  Edited By buzz_killington

Heavy metal is indeed dead, and has been dead for a long time. But the fans are fine with it, because its so much cooler to bash new stuff and say "70s were the days"...

Hypertrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Hypertrooper
    @buzz_killington said:
    "

Heavy metal is indeed dead, and has been dead for a long time. But the fans are fine with it, because its so much cooler to bash new stuff and say "70s were the days"...

"
    Yeah Heavy is death, thats right. And People who have the First Maiden album didnt need new stuff.

@Fei:
    I saw heaven and hell live, but there were boring as fuck.
    mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By mhkjtha
    @Hypertrooper said:

" @Elazul said:

" @tooPrime said:

" Good Metal is dead.  Metal that involves playing instruments and not sodomizing them is dead. "
    Very true. I love most of the stuff in Brutal Legend but I honestly can't stand Death and Black Metal and I'm sure Tim feels pretty much the same way. "
    Wait you say: Death Metal and Black Metal aren't Good Metal? Come on. If you live in the Death Metal Scene you will meet a lot of funny people! Who loves the music. From everyone you got beer and this shit. It's a incredible community. Good Metal: Heavy Metal, Death Metal, Black Metal, Old Power Metal, Thrash Metal. But this is my opinion. But if you say Tim has the same way, then i ask you: Emperor, Enslaved are black metal. So why there on the songlist?  And sorry for my english. i'm from the glory land of the Metal Festival=Germany.(Wacken etc.) "
    I want to go to the wacken festival sometime. I probably will the next time.

what good bands are from germany? i dont keep track of your scene.
     @buzz_killington said:
    "

"
      Heavy metal is not dead. Classic rock dorks who think it's cool to say "70s where the days" and bash new stuff close their eyes and ears and pretend its dead so that they can keep up their ridicioulus little facade.
    Hypertrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Hypertrooper

Thrash Metal:
    Sodom, Kreator, Destruction, Holy Moses
    Black Metal:
    Geist, Todtgelichter
    Death Metal:
    Defeated Sanity, Despondency.
     Power/Heavy Metal:
    Blind Guardian, Rage, Helloween and so.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Phished0ne
    @mhkjtha:  I never claimed that sub-genres were stabbing music or anything, i was just stating that  dividing music into as many genres as metal fans tend to do, is muddying waters, when we all could just enjoy the music.   

Also, that i've met more metal fans that are likely to say something like "fuck people that dont like (inset genre here)" then just say "to each his own".  I've met more people who listen to metal that act like closed-minded fucks then otherwise, but that speaks more to people i know, then metal fans in general.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#80  Edited By ahoodedfigure

It's easy to go abstract on the message.  You have those dorks on the stage embarrassing Eddie, it's because that character liked the old school of metal.  Pretending there's a deeper, cutting criticism of metal and saying the purpose of the GAME is to say the whole thing is dead is just one interpretation.  Me, I knew Tim just wanted to make a game with Metal as the topic, with all sorts of bands and voice talent that would make him very happy to just sit there and play.  Many of these bands were bands he grew up with, and a lot of them went under-appreciated even in their heyday, and especially now.

In interviews he even said there was a place in metal for the kind of metal genres they make fun of in the game.  

Every metal fan I've ever met has a very specific notion of what they like.  When trying to learn more about metal it's been absolutely the most confusing genre to learn more about because of this.  It's all about classifying and denigrating the metal that isn't in the right class, like a bunch of people from different nations living on too small an island.

I have my own tastes in metal, but for me a game like this is a chance to celebrate metal's past, not necessarily pull a blanket criticism of the road it's taken since then.  I guess arguing about metal is one of the core traits of metal fandom now, but I try not to let it distract me from actually enjoying the music.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.