Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Nov 05, 2007

The fourth main Call of Duty game ditches the World War II setting of the past games to tell a story set in contemporary times, and backs it up with a breakthrough multiplayer mode.

iw3.mp has stopped working (Need Help!)

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

I have been playing the Steam version of COD4 for some time now and all of the sudden, after playing for about 5 mins, the game quits out to desktop, a windows message appears saying the iw3.mp has stopped working, windows then tries to find a solution to the problem which of course it doesnt. I have looked online and found nothing that works. I have tried.....

-Renaming Mssmp3.asi to Mssmp3.bak
    -Plugging in headphones (Although there are two jacks and i have only tried one)
    -Enabling Studio Mix in my sound control panel
    -plugging in a mic
    -rebooting
    -Its up to date, steam does that for me

I have Windows Vista 64 bit if that helps

Someone tell me what i have to do! I also hate posting for tech help on GB seeing as thats not what the forums are for but im desperate!

The problem appears to be something with my drivers, but the last time i messed with drivers my computer crashed and wouldn't reboot, which is why i bought a new one that can play COD4, oh the infinite cycle of computer issues, hopefully there is another way out of this....

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Verify it's integrity using steam (right click on the game in steam, select properties, select the "Local Files" tab and click "Verify integrity of game cache"). This will check for missing/corrupted files associated with the game, and redownload any needed files.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Fallen189

Right click the game in steam, go to properties and "Check local game intergtity"

If anything is missing it, that should pick it up. If not, reinstall.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Pazy

Is this of any help? Apparently it helps with some applications (I know it helping in Cod4 and Fallout 3).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953186

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mikemcn
    @Fallen189:
    If i reinstall will i be able to keep my profile info so i dont have to level up again?
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By flaminghobo
    @Mikemcn: I'm pretty sure your rank is kept on servers, or at least they are in the Xbox 360 version of the game, try googling to make sure.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mikemcn

Ya so im reinstalling, hopefully it will work, also it doesnt seem to happen on non pb servers, but it isnt a pb error which is odd.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Pazy
    @Mikemcn said:
    " Ya so im reinstalling, hopefully it will work, also it doesnt seem to happen on non pb servers, but it isnt a pb error which is odd. "

If it only happens on PB servers have you tried to manually update PB using this:

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mikemcn
    @Pazy:
    ya, i have had to do manual update before, i had been playing on pb servers before the error occured so its likely just a strange coincidence
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mikemcn

Ok well, i reinstalled and it still happened so my only choice is to mess with my drivers....... this will not end well

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.