Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Black Ops players getting free zombie map, but there's a catch

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/03/call-of-duty-black-ops-resurrection-dlc-coming-this-quarter/ 

It's only free if you bought the Hardened or Prestige version of Black Ops.  If not, it's included with the four zombies maps that were originally included with those editions, for 1200 MSP. 

The four "remastered" maps were previously included with the Hardened and Prestige releases -- if you already have one of those, the rest of this content will be free. Otherwise, it's the standard 1200 MS Points/$15. It'll be easy to acquire, too, according to One of Swords: " the short version is you'll be able to go into your Download History and re-download the classic pack you already own, and the fresh download will include the new Moon map. And you'll also get the soundtrack and theme, too."

Wow, who ever thought that Activision would give away Call of Duty content for free?
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EuanDewar

It takes place on the moon?

HEY GUYS I THINK I JUST BECAME SUDDENLY INTERESTED IN BLACK OPS AGAIN

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @EuanDewar said:

It takes place on the moon?

That's no moon.  Oh wait, it is a moon.  But there are zombies on that moon!
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well, I bought Hardened, but I sold that game after getting deathly tired of it because my friend wanted to play it literally every day in the from the time it released to mid-December.  Playing on the moon killing zombies sounds appealing though.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Dany

I am entirely confused by that joystiq article.

3 or four old maps being updated? what is the new content, just the moon stuff? and prestige and hardened users already got this stuff but can get the new content already free????

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@Dany said:

3 or four old maps being updated? what is the new content, just the moon stuff? and prestige and hardened users already got this stuff but can get the new content already free????

Those editons already had the 4 old zombie maps from WaW, they are releasing a new map as well that people with those versions will get for free. Normal people can now buy them and the new one for 1200 ponts.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Dany said:

Anyone who bought any version of Black Ops other than the most basic version received all four of the World at War Zombies maps for free.  Until now, that was the only way you could have played those maps in Black Ops.  Soon, anyone can buy all four World at War maps for 1200 points, and they'll also get a bonus map that takes place on the moon.  If you already have the World at War zombies maps, you'll be able to download them again and get the Moon map for free. 
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By beargirl1

finally, they're releasing them. yep, i didn't buy the last map pack but will probably buy this one!

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, what the fuck!? Black Ops in my Kingdom? Why wasn't I told? I expect recompense, Activision.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Dany

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Dany said:

Anyone who bought any version of Black Ops other than the most basic version received all four of the World at War Zombies maps for free. Until now, that was the only way you could have played those maps in Black Ops. Soon, anyone can buy all four World at War maps for 1200 points, and they'll also get a bonus map that takes place on the moon. If you already have the World at War zombies maps, you'll be able to download them again and get the Moon map for free.

Ah, ok. That makes sense.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By natetodamax

I really don't like the idea of paying for maps that I already own. I cringed while buying the MW2 map packs because some of the content was stuff I already had, but this seems worse, especially considering that I'm not a fan of Zombies mode. Also, I bought all the map packs for WaW, so in a way I would be paying for those WaW Zombie maps twice.... what.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By N7

@AjayRaz said:

finally, they're releasing them. yep, i didn't buy the last map pack but will probably buy this one!

Yeah I know. I was hoping they'd release this first. I know a bunch of friends who missed out on playing the retro maps because it was impossible for them to either get the game on release, or get the special editions.

Still good news for me to hear that I get a free map and a bunch of other extras.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Vinny_Says

So I already have the old maps from my hardened edition, I just re-download it from the marketplace on the 23rd and get the "Moon" map for free in that pack?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @natetodamax said:

I really don't like the idea of paying for maps that I already own. I cringed while buying the MW2 map packs because some of the content was stuff I already had, but this seems worse, especially considering that I'm not a fan of Zombies mode. Also, I bought all the map packs for WaW, so in a way I would be paying for those WaW Zombie maps twice.... what.

If you're not a fan of the zombies game mode--and for the record, neither am I--why would you care?  And if you ARE a fan of the zombies mode, and you already own World at War, then you already have these maps. 

The only people who should be upset about this are those who bought all the DLC for World at War, and love playing the zombies game mode, but didn't buy either the hardened or prestige version of Black Ops.  The only way THOSE people can ever play the new zombies map is to pay for four maps that they technically already own.   

For those who loved the zombies mode so much that they made sure to buy the hardened or prestige version of Black Ops, they're getting a FREE map from Activision.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#15  Edited By natetodamax

@SpaceInsomniac: I dunno, I just don't like the idea in general.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the moon?  i only play that game now for zombies when friends come over so i might consider buying this

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Twitchey
    @SpaceInsomniac said:
       For those who loved the zombies mode so much that they made sure to buy the hardened or prestige version of Black Ops, they're getting a FREE map from Activision.
    I had a gut feeling they would release the old zombie maps as DLC sooner or later. 
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18  Edited By Yanngc33

Yay free stuff!

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Sander

So what's the total cost of this game? Disc and all DLC.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By mikemcn

huh, the moon is a pretty cool place to fight zombies.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Sander said:
    So what's the total cost of this game? Disc and all DLC.
    Basic game = $60 
    3 DLC map packs containing four multiplayer maps and 1 zombies map at $15 dollars each =  $45
    1 Zombies only map pack containing 4 old zombies maps from a previous game, and 1 new map = $15 

Total = $120 for the game, 12 additional multiplayer maps, and 8 additional zombies maps.

As for me, I paid 39.99 after my Amazon credit, got the game the first day it was available, have played for over 100 hours, and haven't bought any of the DLC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.