Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

PS3 owners get screwed over once again.

• 104 results
    tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: -1

#1  Edited By tobygw

This is serious bullshit. This is why there need to be open betas on both consoles for games that this many people are going to play. 

I took this list of ps3 bugs from the official black ops forum and I've experienced all of them. 

- Party Invite System not working, unable to join friends even with public chosen

- Leaderboard not reading correct kills

- Framerate issues, affecting gameplay

- Theatre mode not working correctly

- Respawns, issue spawning near enemies on smaller maps

- Game freezing PS3 Console

- Party option "Leave with party" not working correctly

- Locale Search option not working

- Mic's not showing in lobby

- Error "Disconnected due to transmission Error" appears after some games

Reported Glitches

- Knifing mechanic seems to act like Commando lunge from MW2     

The main annoyance of this list is the frame rate. Last night I played online and noticed it sucked almost to the point that it's unplayable, and if it were any other game I would've likely stopped playing it for a long time. Then today I realized that it is still happening and that it was in fact a frame rate issue. I was tired of dealing with the extremely choppy gameplay, so I went on single player a few minutes ago just to be greeted with the same crappy ass laggy experience. Now the servers are down and hopefully this will just be for a short time and that this will be fixed when they go back up.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By PufferFiz

Don't use the bugs or we will ban you!

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

As expected.  PS3 users complain when in truth the honest word is that PS3 users don't buy games. 

No one to blame but the people who don't buy it. 

Sales for PS3 aren't as good as the 360...and from a money value, it's more important to make sure the 360 version works.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

the framerate thing seems to be present on PC's as well. A german (PC)gaming magazine postponed the multiplayer test because the game is barely playable right now.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By zombie2011

Well most the sales for this, is on the 360 so they would show preference to that system. Plus MS is really pushing for COD to be played on their system, with the whole all map packs will be timed exclusives for 360.

tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tobygw
    @KaosAngel said:

" No one to blame but the people who don't buy it."

This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard all day. Tons of people have bought this game and the other Call of Dutys on PS3. Just because they aren't the majority doesn't mean they don't give the company huge profits. You are saying that the developer should have no fault in this at all? It makes more sense to make sure that both versions work and at the very least make sure that the whole game isn't broken which it is on PS3 now do to the framerate.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @KaosAngel said:
    " As expected.  PS3 users complain when in truth the honest word is that PS3 users don't buy games.  No one to blame but the people who don't buy it.  Sales for PS3 aren't as good as the 360...and from a money value, it's more important to make sure the 360 version works. "
    You would think then at some point Sony would beef up the quality control of games being shipped on their console so more people don't sway towards the 360. I mean there has to be some sort of quality check independent from the publisher/developer. It certainly isn't helping the problem with the generalization that ps3 ports tend to be broken in some lame way.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By 2HeadedNinja
    @KaosAngel said:
    " As expected.  PS3 users complain when in truth the honest word is that PS3 users don't buy games.  No one to blame but the people who don't buy it.  Sales for PS3 aren't as good as the 360...and from a money value, it's more important to make sure the 360 version works. "
    So because the audience is smaller its ok for them to ship a broken game? ... Sorry but thats beyond stupid.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@KaosAngel said:
    What kind of bullshit is that? More copies are sold on 360 because more people own 360s, but that's no excuse to release a half assed PS3 version.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Not stopping me from getting the PS3 version. I'll take crappy online over no online (still refuse to pay for Xbox Live). 

reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By reign
    @KaosAngel said:
    Most ignorant thing I've read in a long time.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KaosAngel
    @2HeadedNinja said:

" So because the audience is smaller its ok for them to ship a broken game? ... Sorry but thats beyond stupid. "  

@SuperfluousMoniker said:

"What kind of bullshit is that? More copies are sold on 360 because more people own 360s, but that's no excuse to release a half assed PS3 version. "

They have less to loss if the lesser version is broken.  The vast majority of COD users are on 360, 2 million at the most are on PS3 and they have no other choice but to wait for a patch.  What else are PS3 users gonna play?  If they had a 360, they would've gotten COD on 360 anyway.   

That's how it is.  The console that has more sales gets the better product.  You please the foundation and fix up the lesser parts as time goes on.
    THRICE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By THRICE

Honestly not experienced a single one of those issues, only complaint is the game kind of looks like dog shit but that may just be the game itself. W@W didn't look as good as CoD4, and either way its time for a CoD that doesn't use the Quake 3 engine already.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @KaosAngel said:
    "  No one to blame but the people who don't buy it.   "

No Caption Provided
    RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RankRabbit

Experienced the frame rate issue a couple of times, but just attributed it to people's connections. I haven't paid enough attention to notice anything else on your list though and I think I'm gonna play Bad Company 2 tonight. 

And KaosAngel is right.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic

doh 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xyzygy
    @zombie2011 said:
    " Well most the sales for this, is on the 360 so they would show preference to that system. Plus MS is really pushing for COD to be played on their system, with the whole all map packs will be timed exclusives for 360. "
    Not only that they're advertising this as if it was only available on the 360. Websites, TV spots, popups, all of them have the Xbox 360 logo.
    ICF_19XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ICF_19XX
    @KaosAngel said:
    What's a 'money vaule'?
    drakattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By drakattack

Buy a 360. Stop complaining

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Synthballs
    @KaosAngel: Best thing I've read and to me makes a lot of sense.
    AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AURON570

yes obviously because every "ps3 owner" wants to buy black ops...Stop generalizing. I for one don't give a shit about Black Ops or whether it is better on PS3 or Xbox, hell I don't give a damn whether any game is better on ps3 or xbox. If I really want a game I'll buy it, it's that simple. If it's on a system I don't have or is better on a system that I don't have, well too bad for me, I'll live.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Large parts of this thread make me sad. I thought we were better than this. It's getting Gamespotty in here.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By Seppli

Oh good god, that's what's going on today! Fucking game was unplayable. Was chalking it up to P2P environment. Thanks god it's something that can be fixed. Hopefully it will be.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KaosAngel
    @AURON570 said:
    " yes obviously because every "ps3 owner" wants to buy black ops...Stop generalizing."
    That's the point.  The target focus is the 360 because the larger percentage of COD fans are on 360.  Activision had to focus on the 360 version being perfect while making sure the PS3 was playable.  They had to get the game out by this week, and most of the time was more than likely spent perfecting the 360 version. 

Before some idiot calls me a 360 fanboy, may I point you to the GT5 board and remind you that both my 360s broke.  I'm just stating the facts.  PS3 users don't buy as many copies as 360 brothers.  It's purely business and making sure the main group gets the unglitchy game on time.
    willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By willylo

Some of this issues are on the 360 as well, I've had my 360 lock up twice now while playing Black Ops.

While KaosAngel's comment is probably true, it doesn't mean that should be the mentality it's not like only a few hundred thousand people by COD on the PS3 it still gets in the millions, which shouldn't be scoffed at as a lesser version by any means.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By shivermetimbers
    @xyzygy said:
    " @zombie2011 said:
    " Well most the sales for this, is on the 360 so they would show preference to that system. Plus MS is really pushing for COD to be played on their system, with the whole all map packs will be timed exclusives for 360. "
    Not only that they're advertising this as if it was only available on the 360. Websites, TV spots, popups, all of them have the Xbox 360 logo. "

This is true, at least for online ads.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @KaosAngel said:
    I hope GT5 is a broken mess.
    reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By reign
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @2HeadedNinja said:

" So because the audience is smaller its ok for them to ship a broken game? ... Sorry but thats beyond stupid. "  

@SuperfluousMoniker said:

"What kind of bullshit is that? More copies are sold on 360 because more people own 360s, but that's no excuse to release a half assed PS3 version. "

They have less to loss if the lesser version is broken.  The vast majority of COD users are on 360, 2 million at the most are on PS3 and they have no other choice but to wait for a patch.  What else are PS3 users gonna play?  If they had a 360, they would've gotten COD on 360 anyway.    That's how it is.  The console that has more sales gets the better product.  You please the foundation and fix up the lesser parts as time goes on. "
    Here are sales numbers for MW2 - Link 

Assuming that that ratio remains similar, (11.77 million on 360, 8.77 million on PS3) 42.6% of console CoD gamers play on the PS3 

By those numbers, the 360's 57.4% is nowhere near the "vast majority" you're talking about. 

Also, your logic is flawed. Just because the PS3 version sells less doesn't mean that it should be neglected. They have an enormous amount of users in that console (more than most PS3 games by far). Sure, it makes sense that it's developed on the lead platform first, but that isn't an excuse to dismiss millions of PS3 owners. 

All of these "facts" you're spewing out (numbers, that people that have both consoles would get it on the 360 etc.) are totally misleading and have no actual concrete data to support them. Next time you want to argue a point, get some.
    ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29  Edited By ShinjiEx
    @PufferFiz said:

" Don't use the bugs or we will ban you! "

Scratches head huh?
    No Caption Provided
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KaosAngel
    @REIGN: Fact remains.  They make their money on the 360, cry all you want.  Microsoft knows this and Activision knows this.  The majority of game sales are on the 360, and if they didn't have time to fix it they didn't. 

Gears 2 outsells Uncharted 2, when it clearly should have been the other way.  360 users buy more copies of games, that's a fact. 

EDIT:  Also, who the hell uses VGCharts?
    reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By reign
    @KaosAngel: You didn't read a word I said did you?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By Seppli

Just watched the Eurogamer.net campaign framerate comparison video. PS3 got an average of about 15 less frames per second. 360 somewhere between 40-60 FPS and PS3 between 30-50 FPS. Textures are more crisp on 360  and the particle effects are somewhat more pronounced.

No matter how you look at it, the 360 version is technically superior. Too bad I gave up on 360 due to its noticable deadzone on its gamepad's analogsticks and the Xbox Live Gold subscription fees. Just hope Activision and Treyarch get these issues fixed, especially the ones related to online services. I'm not that into CoD, that I would suffer through all this bullshit.

I'd like to play more of the game and it'd better be smoother than it was tonight!

P.S. the difference in input registration actually shows quite clearly in the comparison video. PS3 crosshairs move buttery smooth, while the 360 crosshairs are going zig-zag all the time.

tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By tobygw
    @KaosAngel: Alright so let's say, hypothetically of course, you're whole argument is correct and makes sense. If you are a gamer buying Black Ops for your PS3 would you consider this fair?
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By KaosAngel
    @ShinjiEx said:

" @REIGN said:

" @KaosAngel: You didn't read a word I said did you? "
    Nope................................ "
    Fuck no.  VGChartz is all wrong. The second someone brings up VGC, their argument is voided.  Compare official PD numbers with VGC, and you see they only got one of them right.  Facts remain, Activision can do what they want to do and if their focus is on the 360 version being perfect that's their call.  If you don't like how it's done, don't buy it.  

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KaosAngel
    @tobygw said:
    " @KaosAngel: Alright so let's say, hypothetically of course, you're whole argument is correct and makes sense. If you are a gamer buying Black Ops for your PS3 would you consider this fair? "
    Of course it's not fair, but I'm willing to accept it.  I did it for MW2 and I decided then I don't want to play anything COD related.  I stuck with KZ2 and other games (TF2 mostly).
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By iam3green

i noticed those also. it is a bad problem for things like that. there should be another patch sometime in the future hopefully making the game work better.

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShinjiEx

Jayzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38  Edited By Jayzz

these are problems across all the consoles.

everyone here is a 360 fan boy so don't worry.

Im playing it on PC.

tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tobygw
    @KaosAngel: You can't say "If you don't like how it's done, you shouldn't buy it" for a game of this caliber. Everyone will buy it day 1, so there is no knowledge in advance that this is how it's going to play. None of the reviews I read mentioned it, and I only specifically found out about it by playing and then having to search through some sites to clarify that it wasn't just me. Of course they can do whatever they want, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't nor should players accept what is given to them.
    ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ShinjiEx
    @Jayzz said:
    " these are problems across all the consoles.  everyone here is a 360 fan boy so don't worry.  Im playing it on PC. "
    What em I not supposed to be worried about?
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By TheHT
    @KaosAngel said:

" Facts remain, Activision can do what they want to do and if their focus is on the 360 version being perfect that's their call.  If you don't like how it's done, don't buy it.  "

Standards. You don't have 'em.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I haven't had problems. 
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By KaosAngel
    @tobygw: Then don't buy it.  Speak with your wallet.  Show them they you won't take a shady port.  COD is still selling strong, so people at the mostly are just annoyed.  No one is forcing you to buy any game, and if you feel they aren't doing a good job...let them know that.  If the masses keep buying it then it doesn't bother them that much.  
    Psyael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Psyael
    @drakattack said:
    " Buy a 360. Stop complaining "
    Only after you switch to Linux first, dude.
    bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By bigsmoke77

Its like the game is made for the 360 and then just ported over to the ps3, oh wait thats how it probably happened.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By meteora
    @KaosAngel said:
    Bwuahahah sarcasm at its best.
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#47  Edited By bybeach

Yes, it is POINTLESS to expect fairness where a company or corporation, or really any business identity that considers product integrity to be subordinate to business expediency . And amazingly, ppl. will shill for it, and at least as far as I can tell, be  unpaid. Well, they did buy  the correct system.....  

I really hate the term, but sheeple comes to mind here. After all, if/when I get this game,from Activision, what position will I be in? Perhaps it's a jacked playing field anyways, Microsoft outright owns one console, and pretty much the operating system of gaming Pc's. And yet it almost seems hostile to pc's...Steam, did you piss MS off? 

Still, the Pc version is what I will get. Easy, since I only do sp. I just do not have time for multi-player, or I should not have it, anyways. I respect it for it's sophistication, but there are many other things to do. And also, I get a little nervous when ppl. say accept your overlords, you may not know what that really may entail.
    tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By tobygw
    @KaosAngel: Like I said though, I can't speak with my wallet. I'm a huge CoD fan and all of them that I've gotten on launch before have ran just as smoothly on ps3 as on 360. The Call of Duty games are known for being a series that have the 360 and ps3 versions on par with each other. How am I supposed to know that the game isn't going to run properly when this isn't usually the case? No reviews mentioned it, and I shouldn't have to wait a couple days after the game's release scanning the internet to find any bugs the game has. I should be able to confidently put my money down towards something with the reassurance that my product will work as it's supposed to.  

You are also thinking on earning money on a small scale. They don't want to ruin their reputation, so now they are going to have to pay money to fix the bugs on ps3. While at the same time that they are fixing it, fans are getting angry, more people are finding about it and they are in fact losing some money. Why wouldn't they just put that money towards more testing of the game before it comes out so that everyone is happy. They will end up paying either way, but this way the fans don't lose faith in the company. You are talking like the 360 has 90% of the CoD market which isn't at all the case. The PS3 players are giving the company hundreds of millions of dollars and they would not have the state of mind to just screw all those people over.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By KaosAngel
    @tobygw: ...this is how it's been for years.  You honestly can't be surprised the PS3 version got the bad port.  It's been happening since 2006 and it's the norm now, they might fix it down the road, or they might not.  I hacked myself to 10th Prestige in MW2 within the first month on the PS3 and abused the fuck out of the Javlin Glitch and found out how to make it work after they "apparently patched it". 

PS3 version is almost always the lesser port, this has been fact for years now.  MW2 had a lot of problems the first month on PS3 and people still played, people will still play Black Ops, and the users who aren't having problems won't care.  Again, my most anticipated game is GT5 and both my 360s broke, so before anyone says I'm paid by MS, let it be known that MB wondered if I worked for Sony.   

Nothing will happen to Black Op sales if they don't fix it or if they fix it late.  They know it, and you know it.
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SSully

I dont know if its just PS3 version, but lan does not work either. It shows the server my friend or i make, but when we click to join it it just says cannot join and quits to the main screen in the matter of a second.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.