Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: World at War

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 11, 2008

The fifth installment of the Call of Duty series, bringing most of the gameplay and graphical improvements of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare back to World War II conflict. It is also the first Call of Duty game set in the Pacific Theater.

World at War has the best web integration ever in a video game.

John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Edited By John

And I'm not just making that up. I know Halo 3 does some neat stuff, with it's image and video sharing. But I think World at War takes the stat tracking part in a FPS to a hole new level. Seriously, this is the future.

It's got everything from maps that show the spots where you died in a particular match, or all time. It has crazy data about where do you tend to shoot dudes, your progress bar from the time you started playing, you can even compare them to your callofduty.com friends (granted they also did the account linking steps). It also incorporates leaderboards, but there limited to online stats, for some reason single player levels scores are not there. GTA IV (via RS social club) stil has the best web-based leaderboards ever.

As with everything, it's not yet perfect. The system fails to load some stats from time to time, date records are messed up because they keep saying I last played on Dec 23rd, 2008. And some other random bugs. But it's all in BETA, so yeah. It's pretty amazing how powerfull the internet is. I uploaded some screens o it on my images thing page, if you are interested in how it looks.

John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By John

And I'm not just making that up. I know Halo 3 does some neat stuff, with it's image and video sharing. But I think World at War takes the stat tracking part in a FPS to a hole new level. Seriously, this is the future.

It's got everything from maps that show the spots where you died in a particular match, or all time. It has crazy data about where do you tend to shoot dudes, your progress bar from the time you started playing, you can even compare them to your callofduty.com friends (granted they also did the account linking steps). It also incorporates leaderboards, but there limited to online stats, for some reason single player levels scores are not there. GTA IV (via RS social club) stil has the best web-based leaderboards ever.

As with everything, it's not yet perfect. The system fails to load some stats from time to time, date records are messed up because they keep saying I last played on Dec 23rd, 2008. And some other random bugs. But it's all in BETA, so yeah. It's pretty amazing how powerfull the internet is. I uploaded some screens o it on my images thing page, if you are interested in how it looks.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

Halo did hot-spot mapping months ago. Tending to shoot dudes is easily garnered from measuring what hitboxes are activated most by the player. It's nothing revolutionary, or even particularly useful. It's also not that great in terms of web integration. I lay the hate on Bungie, but they still haven't quite been matched in terms of extending the game depth through outside means.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I like this game waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than Halo 3 .

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Fosssil
    Jayge said:
    "Halo did hot-spot mapping months ago. Tending to shoot dudes is easily garnered from measuring what hitboxes are activated most by the player. It's nothing revolutionary, or even particularly useful. It's also not that great in terms of web integration. I lay the hate on Bungie, but they still haven't quite been matched in terms of extending the game depth through outside means."
    Not to mention Bungie is about to implement a new feature for Bungie Pro subscribers that allows them to render their Halo 3 saved films to WMV files on their computer.

I'm glad that more developers are following Bungie's approach when it comes to tracking stats online, but no one is going to be able to top them any time soon.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By sweep  Moderator

BEHOLD, THE AWESOME POWER OF THE INTERNET!!

*Trembles in fear*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.