Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

In this reboot of the beloved Castlevania franchise, Gabriel Belmont goes on a quest to defeat the sinister Lords of Shadow, who are preventing the souls of the departed from passing on to the afterlife, in order to obtain from them a magical mask that will bring his murdered wife Marie back from the dead.

For people that played the demo how was it?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By falserelic

What are your thoughts on the demo?
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Vorbis

I posted here, I guess the amount of PSN Plus users is very small. Basically it was great, the loading screens are probably the best thing, simply because Patrick Stewart tells you a story while it loads.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Grissefar

Little underwhelmiing but it's good enough. Very God of Warish with more rpg and a little more jank. I could easily pick it up once it drops in price.

Bananstativ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Bananstativ

I though the demo was cool, especially the presentation and atmosphere. I was not completely sold on the fighting however, compared to GoW , but the level-up system hopefully improves the combat over the course of the game. There was also a horse-chase part. I though the combat while you were on a horse was a bit to simplifyed for my taste, but the scene was intentse because of the music and speed. They seem to try to focus on the story a lot, even in the demo, which could be a good thing with Kojima involved in the development process. Definitely a game I will consider buying later on.

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fuzzyponken

I basically agree with everything Bananstativ is saying. The combat felt very God of War, so much that I was constantly tempted to do the combos that God of War lets you do, which wouldn't work here, obviously. It also felt a lot more difficult. Like, you couldn't just mash around like you (at least I) would generally do in God of War when there's just trash mobs around.  My health started dropping pretty rapidly whenever I wasn't paying attention and planning out my attacks. While the demo obviously didn't throw anything at me that I couldn't handle, I definitely got the feeling that this game could get pretty brutal as it goes on.  

The game focuses tons on story and atmosphere, and had this very cool feel to it. It walks a fine line between pure awesome and super cheesy, but I thought the game pulled it off. I was immediately interested in this world and its characters and wanted to learn more. 

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By falserelic

I can't wait to try out the demo this tuesday.Once I do I'll share my thoughts on it too.
    matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By matpaget

I got all jacked to play this (after learning it was on the PSN UK) and I created an account to do so and then I found out it was only for Playstation Plus users.

While I am a Plus user I do not have a Plus account in europe

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By ReyGitano
    @Vorbis: I loved Patrick Stewart in Oblivion and I didn't know he was in Lord of Shadow. My excitement continues to increase.
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Raymayne

Awesome. Patrick Stewart made it so. 

(see what I effing did there!?)

LlamaLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By LlamaLlama

Going to try my hand at the demo this weekend hopefully as well as the Enslaved one. Have money for one game and the demo the seller. I'm not normally a action gamer (I seriously, seriously suck at button mashing) so we'll see how I do.
    NemesisTheory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NemesisTheory

I was surprised with how the combat felt... I heard a lot of remarks from friends that it was "just another God of War-type game" but it really didn't feel like it.
     It had a lot more finesse and tactical 'depth' to it... Not as mashy, anyway. I can't wait to unlock Paladin difficulty ASAP and get my rear-end handed to me just like old times (NES!). <3

Graphically... I don't know, I'm still picking up the pieces from my face when I first looked at the light effects.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cikame

I think i like it, i love Patrick Stewart so i'm getting it for that, the only thing that is putting me off is the frame rate sometimes.
    Bayonetta and DMC4 looked better and they were 60fps.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#13  Edited By Icemael

Bland. Looked bland, sounded bland, played bland (it was like a mixture of Ninja Blade and God of War). Inconsistent framerate, too.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#14  Edited By Jazz
    @cikame said:
    " I think i like it, i love Patrick Stewart so i'm getting it for that, the only thing that is putting me off is the frame rate sometimes. Bayonetta and DMC4 looked better and they were 60fps. "
    They do?.... I'm not sure about that. A hell of a lot more colourful in Bayonetta's case sure..but better? Are you playing the 360 version, cause i had problem with the PS3 framerate whatsoever in the demo. 

Also the lack of Robert Carlyle love in this thread saddens me. Patrick Stewart, matrick tewwart...
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

My god what would the world be like without Patrick Stewart?

@Icemael said:

" Bland. Looked bland, sounded bland, played bland (it was like a mixture of Ninja Blade and God of War). Inconsistent framerate, too. "

Really? From all the trailers, the level design looked really neat and had that Castlevania feel to it for me anyway. 

Framerate can be a problem for me though, especially if there are crazy big drops here and there. 25-30 is pretty acceptable by console standards though, so if it's mostly nitpicking then I might let it slide.

I want to murder tons of dudes, and if it let's me do that then I'm cool with it. Also there has to be a double jump at some point.

Does it at least feel somewhat like a castlevania game or is it just action hack and slash with castlvania slapped on the box?
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " My god what would the world be like without Patrick Stewart? "
    It would be a cold hateful place.
    sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By sixpin
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " My god what would the world be like without Patrick Stewart? "
     Probably a lot like this: 
    No Caption Provided
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#18  Edited By Icemael
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:

" Does it at least feel somewhat like a castlevania game or is it just action hack and slash with castlvania slapped on the box? "

Definitely the latter. If I didn't know it was Castlevania, I would never have suspected -- it feels about as Castlevania-y as Dante's Inferno.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#19  Edited By Jazz
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
      Does it at least feel somewhat like a castlevania game or is it just action hack and slash with castlvania slapped on the box? "
    Out of all the whining and bitching about this game, i think this really is the only valid question...probably up to you to decide on what you recognise as Castlevania TBH. I'm not too fussed about the name on the box, I just want to have a enjoyable experience..but the demo felt Castlevania to me, especially when i started throwing those awesome knives about the place. If you're looking for SOTN again, you're probably going to be mightily disappointed.

Also...don't really get all the Patrick Stewart obsession. He's got an awesome voice......aaand thats about it. Keep in mind i don't give a shit about Star Trek nor do I particularly like those X-men movies or Oblivion. Wrong Demographic i think. Robert Carlyle on the other hand......
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CptBedlam

I thought it was really cool.

As for the "It's not Castlevania"-comments: There is no definite Castlevania-gameplay style. The old 2d Castlevanias played so much differently than the newer Metroidvanias. Also, the village area and some other places seen in videos definitely remind me of some old Castlevanias that still had levels outside a castle back in the day. Especially the European village stuff ... that's exactly how I would want a modern 3D rendition of Castlevania to look like.

Sure, it plays very God of War-ish but that's just a natural fit since that whip-kind-of-thing isn't that different from chains. How would you make it any differently? Just have one straight whip attack like in the 2d games? That'd be ridiculous. No, it's really good they went into this direction and hopefully they get the chance for a sequel since this seems to be the most solid 3D Castlevania yet.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Jazz: I'm definitely not expecting a SotN. That game gets way too much love as it is since there are much better iterations of the game on the handhelds.

For some people the Castlevania namesake is a pretty special one as I have been a fan of the series ever since the early NES days. I guess it's just the fanboy in me that they honor the series and not just turn it into a god of war clone.

I want the names of monsters I kill to pop up on the screen. @Jazz said:

especially when i started throwing those awesome knives about the place.

See this makes me happy.

And on Patrick Stewart, yeah the dude has an awesome voice and I generally like him as an actor. It's like he's making love to my brain whenever I hear the man speak.
    Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Espada12

It was great! And as far as I could tell(from the reviews) the only thing castlevania missing from it was the exploration bits.

lolak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lolak47

Played it on Knight difficulty on 360, was fucking AWSOME!!!! i preorderd this and Enslaved.    
    I  absolutely loved the combat. On Knight  difficulty you die in like 1 or 2 hits, this forces you to play very carfefuly, blocking and dodging and attackign when you have the chance.
    I beat the big warewolf boss thing without getitng hit ... It's awsome. The graphics were amazing also,  probably the best i've seen on Xbox.  Can't wait till it gets here.

P.S i never played any previous castlevania games i hate all them types of games, but this is awsome! glad they changed to this genre.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.