Whiskey Media Intern-Watch 2011: Day 2

Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

They say that everyone loves sausage until they see it get made, but so far here at Whiskey Media that couldn’t be further from the truth. I’ve been here X days and so far even though I know how it’s made; I still crave Whiskey Media’s sausage.

Wait, that came out wrong.

My two most important jobs.

I hopped on the 38B Express at 7:55 am in order not to be late for my first day. After getting off the bus I noticed someone else wearing a Whiskey Media member shirt walking in the same direction, and it ended up being Cory, aka Undeadpool, aka the first intern who caused the Whiskeypocolypse. We chatted for a bit while walking to work and little did I know he was very happy to see me, because I was handed all of his duties, including answering the phones, making the coffee, and gathering and uploading trailers for Anime Vice. I never have made coffee before, so after a quick walkthrough from Tested’s own Will Smith I was grinding beans like a pro in no time.

So far aside from posting trailers and helping out around the office, my duties (heheh… duties) have been mostly wiki related. I’ve been going through and captioning various image galleries. I jumped at the chance to handle a few fighting games that I was familiar with and breezed through with some image captioning and general upkeep.

Step it up, Cory.

The atmosphere is great here at Whiskey Media. It’s easy to forget you’re in a basement. What
astounded me the most was the work ethic of the people here. You may have the idea in your mind after seeing various mailbag segments and the like that Whiskey Media is some kind of Willy Wonka-like factory where instead of candy and chocolate, there are magical forests of reviews and rivers of video content. These are hard working people, who from the time they get there to the time they leave, are working to keep the websites you love going. That’s not to say it’s some sort of no-fun zone where laughter and smiles are punishable by law, it’s by no means a stereotypical grey, dour office. It strikes a nice balance of serious and fun that can be seen in the site.

Coming up on my to-do agenda are to learn how other sites operate, get in more questions on live shows, and take down Cory. Wait. Ignore that last part.

#1 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

They say that everyone loves sausage until they see it get made, but so far here at Whiskey Media that couldn’t be further from the truth. I’ve been here X days and so far even though I know how it’s made; I still crave Whiskey Media’s sausage.

Wait, that came out wrong.

My two most important jobs.

I hopped on the 38B Express at 7:55 am in order not to be late for my first day. After getting off the bus I noticed someone else wearing a Whiskey Media member shirt walking in the same direction, and it ended up being Cory, aka Undeadpool, aka the first intern who caused the Whiskeypocolypse. We chatted for a bit while walking to work and little did I know he was very happy to see me, because I was handed all of his duties, including answering the phones, making the coffee, and gathering and uploading trailers for Anime Vice. I never have made coffee before, so after a quick walkthrough from Tested’s own Will Smith I was grinding beans like a pro in no time.

So far aside from posting trailers and helping out around the office, my duties (heheh… duties) have been mostly wiki related. I’ve been going through and captioning various image galleries. I jumped at the chance to handle a few fighting games that I was familiar with and breezed through with some image captioning and general upkeep.

Step it up, Cory.

The atmosphere is great here at Whiskey Media. It’s easy to forget you’re in a basement. What
astounded me the most was the work ethic of the people here. You may have the idea in your mind after seeing various mailbag segments and the like that Whiskey Media is some kind of Willy Wonka-like factory where instead of candy and chocolate, there are magical forests of reviews and rivers of video content. These are hard working people, who from the time they get there to the time they leave, are working to keep the websites you love going. That’s not to say it’s some sort of no-fun zone where laughter and smiles are punishable by law, it’s by no means a stereotypical grey, dour office. It strikes a nice balance of serious and fun that can be seen in the site.

Coming up on my to-do agenda are to learn how other sites operate, get in more questions on live shows, and take down Cory. Wait. Ignore that last part.

#2 Posted by Karlif (46 posts) -

That's pretty cool.

#3 Posted by YoctoYotta (541 posts) -

Hey congrats on the hire, man.

#4 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

If you watch the Tested MakerBot videos, you can see how everyone is moving and working, moving and working. Well, when Alex was there, he rocked, but there be passion in that workplace. Work harder Ben.

#5 Posted by ethan (776 posts) -

Glad to have you here Ben. Pinning this thread for now.

#6 Posted by Oni (2104 posts) -

Grats duder, wish I was in your shoes!

#7 Posted by DrJota (700 posts) -

The trick to passing the initiation test is instead of pouring the glass of water on the fire,you have to drink it....
Or am I thinking of the wrong office?

#8 Posted by EuanDewar (5030 posts) -

Your voice is great for the reading the questions, so booming. Grats on the hiring old chap!

#9 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

Congratulations on the hiring!

So I hear you get a Mac in there? :P

#10 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@GlenTennis:  Hey man, how did you get the gig ?
you're one of the funniest most random duders on this website, but you were never 'staff material', so i'm just curious how it happened :)

Also, congratz !
#11 Posted by FLStyle (4768 posts) -

Good job so far, keep it up.

#12 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

@Ahmad_Metallic: Well Ethan put out the call for Interns, I applied and he couldn't say no to my unstoppable charm and charisma.

#13 Posted by Daniel (1523 posts) -

GET BACK TO WORK, BEN. ; )

#14 Posted by Yummylee (22056 posts) -

I envision the rivalry between you and Corey to be reminiscent of a Looney Tunes episode featuring Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck. 

#15 Posted by evil_gordita (31 posts) -

Awesome.  I've always wondered what the Whiskey interns did during the day when they weren't manning the chat during live shows or making sandwich runs.  Maybe I didn't pay enough attention to Bodega's or Lemon's blogs, but this is the first glimpse I've had in the day of the life of an intern.

#16 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

I envision the rivalry between you and Corey to be reminiscent of a Looney Tunes episode featuring Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck.

I call Bugs.

#17 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@GlenTennis said:

@Ahmad_Metallic: Well Ethan put out the call for Interns, I applied and he couldn't say no to my unstoppable charm and charisma.

I figured as much!
#18 Posted by Aeterna (1118 posts) -
@GlenTennis said:

@Abyssfull said:

I envision the rivalry between you and Corey to be reminiscent of a Looney Tunes episode featuring Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck.

I call Bugs.

Bad pick, everybody knows Daffy always wins!
#19 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -
@Aeterna said:
@GlenTennis said:

@Abyssfull said:

I call Bugs.

Bad pick, everybody knows Daffy always wins!
Duck season.
#20 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

It'd be cool to see some kind of time lapse of the work being done in the office. I know there needs to be a time for hard work without worrying about being on camera, but I'm intrigued as to how the knuckle down attitude transitions to what we see in mailbags etc.

#21 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1335 posts) -
@GlenTennis said:

What

astounded me the most was the work ethic of the people here. You may have the idea in your mind after seeing various mailbag segments and the like that Whiskey Media is some kind of Willy Wonka-like factory where instead of candy and chocolate, there are magical forests of reviews and rivers of video content. These are hard working people, who from the time they get there to the time they leave, are working to keep the websites you love going. 

If they have such a great work ethic, why is it that the staff put up, besides klepek, an article once every other week if we're lucky?

Are they just praying vinny doesn't quit, because then they'd have to be more productive?
#22 Posted by TJ311 (415 posts) -
@billnyethesciencepie said:
@GlenTennis said:

What

astounded me the most was the work ethic of the people here. You may have the idea in your mind after seeing various mailbag segments and the like that Whiskey Media is some kind of Willy Wonka-like factory where instead of candy and chocolate, there are magical forests of reviews and rivers of video content. These are hard working people, who from the time they get there to the time they leave, are working to keep the websites you love going. 

If they have such a great work ethic, why is it that the staff put up, besides klepek, an article once every other week if we're lucky?

Are they just praying vinny doesn't quit, because then they'd have to be more productive?
Patrick handles the news stuff while everyone else handles the games stuff, ie. finding games to cover, reviewing games, Quick Looks, etc.
#23 Posted by Sparklykiss (1983 posts) -
@GlenTennis said:

@Abyssfull said:

I call Bugs.

I see you more as a Foghorn Leghorn type. But, hey, that's pretty cool. You know how to make coffee now!

The real question, though, is it good coffee?
#24 Posted by JoeyF (110 posts) -

Great to have you here!

And you make killer coffee -- strong and dark!

#25 Posted by OldManLight (884 posts) -

sounds like a pretty kickass opportunity.  keep blogging and ill keep reading.

#26 Posted by buzz_clik (6989 posts) -
@GlenTennis: Every interaction I've had with you gives me the impression that you're a great, clever and funny dude - it's no wonder they picked you for this gig. Good news that you've been pinned in the forums, too, because now you're easier to find. Congrats again, mate.
#27 Posted by Brackynews (4094 posts) -
@Jasta said:
It'd be cool to see some kind of time lapse of the work being done in the office. I know there needs to be a time for hard work without worrying about being on camera, but I'm intrigued as to how the knuckle down attitude transitions to what we see in mailbags etc.
Secunded. It would be even more cool if one of the people didn't move an INCH all day. Just glued to the seat getting a monitor tan. Rorie? :)
#28 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Brackynews said:

@Jasta said:

Secunded. It would be even more cool if one of the people didn't move an INCH all day. Just glued to the seat getting a monitor tan. Rorie? :)
The MakerBot videos on Tested are time lapsed. Pretty entertaining and insightful of the goings on at Whiskey Media.

Here's a link to all the videos.  http://www.tested.com/videos/8/
#29 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -
@Claude said:
@Brackynews said:

@Jasta said:

The MakerBot videos on Tested are time lapsed. Pretty entertaining and insightful of the goings on at Whiskey Media.

Here's a link to all the videos.  http://www.tested.com/videos/8/
Cheers mate, I'll have a look through them.
#30 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I'd love to be there, lucky dude.
#31 Posted by xeroxkitty (13 posts) -
@GlenTennis said:

@Abyssfull said:

I call Bugs.

You're disthpicable! ;)
#32 Posted by Stackboy (503 posts) -
@GlenTennis: Grats man, look forward to hearing more about your Whiskey Media adventures.
#33 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

Grats, NOW GIVE US VIDEOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111oneone

Seriously though, grats.. and give us videos.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.