Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Condemned 2: Bloodshot

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 11, 2008

Ethan Thomas returns in Condemned 2: Bloodshot, a melee-focused first person horror game. Ethan battles with alcoholism and his own inner demons while tasked with a mystery surrounding the city's chaos and dark secrets behind a new epidemic.

Do I need to play the first game?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By bacongames

I'm sitting here with Condemned 2 on my desk with a shiny new TV to go with my PS3. However I'm conflicted because like a certain Italian stallion I feel compelled to play the first game if I want to play its sequel. However as a launch game for this current generation Condemned seems not as necessary given what the sequel improves in terms of gameplay etc. Is the story or experience necessary or worthwhile that I need to play the first game? I'm very ready to accept that I should but I'm curious to know what other people think now that we are so far past the first game's release.

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SammydesinasNL

I'm planning to play both myself sometime soon and do an LP. I'd definatly say it would be a good idea to play the first one first (I believe they are very different in story anyways).

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bacongames

Anyone else have something to say? I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible here because I'm stumped.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Don't be a Vinny.  All you need to know is killing hobos is fun.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By shadows_kill

I jumped in without reading the first's plot or even looking up what it was. Just jumped right in and understood everything! In the first 20 mins it sums up what it is your a not cop that likes getting drunk and slam hobo's heads in with a rusty lead pipe! Have fun!

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I'll play it some about 15 hours from now, then I'll let you know if time has been kind to it. There are some character from it that you should know going into the sequel. The story, mainly from the unlockable files and endgame, is a bit odd but the sequel makes it even stranger so you should at least read up on it if you don't play it yourself.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead

Do not play the second game. Do not play it. The first game is one of the few legitimately scary games I've ever played while the second does everything it can to dismantle what made the original so solid.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bacongames

@HandsomeDead said:

Do not play the second game. Do not play it. The first game is one of the few legitimately scary games I've ever played while the second does everything it can to dismantle what made the original so solid.

Yeah I wont' play the game I know I'll enjoy that I already bought. Thanks for that.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Tuffgong said:

@HandsomeDead said:

Yeah I wont' play the game I know I'll enjoy that I already bought. Thanks for that.

Your funeral, mate.
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bacongames

@Origina1Penguin said:

I'll play it some about 15 hours from now, then I'll let you know if time has been kind to it. There are some character from it that you should know going into the sequel. The story, mainly from the unlockable files and endgame, is a bit odd but the sequel makes it even stranger so you should at least read up on it if you don't play it yourself.

I'd be real interested to know, do what you can to catch up because that'd be real appreciated.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AuthenticM

Condemned 2 is great. I played it two years ago without knowing anything about the first game. There were a couple of things that passed by me. You should read the plot of the first game on wikipedia before jumping into the game.

On a side note, there is a scary-ass level in Condemned 2 in the second half of the game. Holy shit dude; you are in for a hell of a ride.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Origina1Penguin

@Tuffgong: I went back and played through the first chapter again. If you don't mind the hideous character models, then the game still holds up from a technical point of view. Keep in mind that you'll be spending a lot of time in the dark. Don't cheapen the experience by keeping your video options too bright. I set it to maximum darkness. It's a fairly short game but you probably won't finish it in one sitting. It is indeed a scarier and more unnerving game than the sequel. If you have Vinny Syndrome as bad as I do, then you'll definitely want to play the first game before the sequel. You'll probably also be compelled to get all of the collectibles so you unlock all of the back story files, but if not, the information in them is rehashed in the sequel.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Bombs_Away
    @Tuffgong said:

@HandsomeDead said:

Don't be a dickhead, he was giving you good advice. The first one is head and shoulders above the second one.
    WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

I advise you buy the first one. It's a great game.
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bacongames

@Bombs_Away said:

@Tuffgong said:

@HandsomeDead said:

Don't be a dickhead, he was giving you good advice. The first one is head and shoulders above the second one.

I already bought the Condemned 2 intending to play it. I don't know about you but reading his responses about just trashing the second game with no justification that I probably won't agree with anyway isn't helpful. And I'm referring to his posts about Condemned in the past as well as know. Besides I felt his rebuttal was reasonable enough, he didn't push the issue. Feedback to not play the game I already bought versus the one I didn't is ridiculous.

@Origina1Penguin said:

@Tuffgong: I went back and played through the first chapter again. If you don't mind the hideous character models, then the game still holds up from a technical point of view. Keep in mind that you'll be spending a lot of time in the dark. Don't cheapen the experience by keeping your video options too bright. I set it to maximum darkness. It's a fairly short game but you probably won't finish it in one sitting. It is indeed a scarier and more unnerving game than the sequel. If you have Vinny Syndrome as bad as I do, then you'll definitely want to play the first game before the sequel. You'll probably also be compelled to get all of the collectibles so you unlock all of the back story files, but if not, the information in them is rehashed in the sequel.

I've already decided to just play the second game. I read the plot multiple times on various sites and I don't have 7 hours to play something that I just came to the sequel to enjoy anyway. Ideally I'd have the time but I've got too many other games I've already had on my list to play that to add Condemned given it's faults just doesn't make sense at this point. Thanks for letting me know though, I appreciate it.

Note, I've already made my decision so thanks everyone for the input! I'm going to probably start up Condemned 2 this weekend.

thecablekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By thecablekid

@Tuffgong: No dude I didn't play the first one an I still loved that game.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Pibo47

I would play the first game honestly. The story is really cool, and it'll make wayyy more sense if you do play the 1st game.

Avatar image for ravengunslinger
    RavenGunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RavenGunslinger

I would definitely play the first one before starting. Mainly because it's just the better of the two (not to say the second one isn't good). Plus the story for the second one would be more enjoyable having played the first game as well. Either way your going to have fun.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By jasta

@Tuffgong

Condemned 2 was a poor sequel. I played through the first game and loved every second of it, and despite all the new features and "improved" combat mechanics, the entire experience just dragged you along, for what seemed like a never ending labyrinth of failed jump scare attempts wrapped in a broken storyline.  I'd suggest you play the first game, even though it is effectively a simplified bare bones version of the sequel, the story and gameplay are still far more compelling. It will also help you to get a bit of context, so you can understand how the so called improvements ironically took away from the experience. You can pick up Condemned: Criminal Origins for pennies nowadays anyway.

One thing that I will admit, is that the grizzly bear sequence was really intense, though 15-20 minutes of good content in an entire game doesn't warrant a recommendation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.