Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crackdown 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 06, 2010

Crackdown 2 is the sequel to the popular open-world supercop game. Players return to Pacific City, where rampaging mutants and resistance groups vie for control of the streets. The sequel adds four-player co-op along with competitive multiplayer.

RUMOR: Crackdown 2 will have a "one-time" code for online access

• 96 results
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 24

#51  Edited By zidd
    @Supermarius: Valve has a plan for steam in case of going out of business. You would just start steam in offline mode and you could get your games. Hackers have no need for your steam account because as soon as you report it being stolen they just disable it. 

@septim: I don't think every game will go to a subscription model. If Onlive succeeds maybe but I don't see people falling for that. Just like every other game that does this you can just download the unlock key from the marketplace if you buy a used copy.
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Supermarius
    @Zidd i hope this is the case. I know it works that way when a person's internet goes down, but it would not necessarily be a long-term solution in the case of business failure. Other DRM based services, specifically music services, have failed after allowing their subscribers to buy and download drm controlled tracks. When they shut down their drm servers, customers music files have deactivated and become impossible to listen to. I think it also happened to some ebook company. I hope steam would let you use the games in offline mode, but what if you ever wanted to install your games again?
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By ProfessorEss

People are free to feel however they want on this issue but for me:

I don't owe Milton Bradley any money because I borrowed my friends copy of Scrabble.
    I don't owe HBO any money because I watched it the other night at a friend's house.
    I don't owe La-Z-Boy any money because I got a lounger off of Kijiji
    I don't owe Sony any money cause because a friend lent me his copy of Spiderman 2.
    And I don't owe GM anything because I borrowed my father-in-law's truck on the weekend.

I fail to understand how people see the videogame industry as something that has earned some separate set of rules, and why so many people have taken their side in their efforts to maximize their profits at the consumer's expense. I guess I just don't understand why they can't operate in the same way every other industry out there does.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By zidd
    @Supermarius:  You can't redownload your music from iTunes and thats the largest music retailer in the United States. Steam allows games to be backed up to discs and hard drives. It is incredibly foolish to not backup any of your digital purchases.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @ProfessorEss said:
    "  People are free to feel however they want on this issue but for me:   I don't owe Milton Bradley any money because I borrowed my friends copy of Scrabble. I don't owe HBO any money because I watched it the other night at a friend's house. I don't owe La-Z-Boy any money because I got a lounger off of Kijiji I don't owe Sony any money cause because a friend lent me his copy of Spiderman 2. And I don't owe GM anything because I borrowed my father-in-law's truck on the weekend.   I fail to understand how people see the videogame industry as something that has earned some separate set of rules, and why so many people have taken their side in their efforts to maximize their profits at the consumer's expense. I guess I just don't understand why they can't operate in the same way every other industry out there does. "
    I know, right.  Maybe it's because this is the only "industry" that they pay attention to or really care about.  "It costs alot of moneyz to make games, developers need their moneyz".  Orly....what doesn't cost alot of money to make?   What if you had to pay Ford $1000 to turn on the AC, radio, cruise control, and power seats in the used car you just bought from your grandma?  Of course, you wouldn't have to pay that fee if you went to an authorized used Ford dealer and payed a higher price.  The "give your money to the people who made it" argument is just wrong. 
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By zidd
    @ProfessorEss: The games industry is a lot newer than any of those other industries. People own furniture and cars a lot longer than any game console. Those products are also sold at a profit.
    Sp3N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By Sp3N
    @bhhawks78: That is the reason why they are "possibly" doing this. To prevent a used game market from stealing new game purchases. I can see both sides, but I agree with M$ on this one.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By the8bitNacho

Awesome.  I'm a big opponent of the used games market, and this seems like an honest, viable means through which to combat it.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Hai guyz we lost teh fight against piracy, lets mess up the used games sales.

You know, it might be the quality or the originality of your games that puts us off buying it full price.
    I wanted to buy Skate 3 used, for like half of the store price, but if I wanted online I had to pay EA 10 more bucks.
    Fuck, that, shit.

Money, money, money.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By zidd
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:

" Hai guyz we lost teh fight against piracy, lets mess up the used games sales.   

Devs and publishers see no money either way. Used games is a much easier battle to win.
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#61  Edited By ez123
    @MAN_FLANNEL: I guess caring more about games than any other form of entertainment is a reason. It's also that music has concerts and movies have theatrical releases to make money. The automotive industry has the government.  This sort of thing was implemented 10 years ago by Diablo II so that might be why I'm okay with it.  

Anyways, has there been any new news on this since the OP? Crackdown 2 multiplayer seems so tacked on, this would be a weird move.
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Supermarius
    @Zidd said:
    " @Supermarius:  You can't redownload your music from iTunes and thats the largest music retailer in the United States. Steam allows games to be backed up to discs and hard drives. It is incredibly foolish to not backup any of your digital purchases. "
    really? You can back up the installs to disc? That's actually pretty good. I did not know that.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By zidd
    @Supermarius: They give you an installer and everything. Its pretty nifty for clearing space for huge games like The Force Unleashed. I just wish the DVD sized backups actually fit on DVDs though.
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Supermarius
    @ez123 said:
    " @MAN_FLANNEL: I guess caring more about games than any other form of entertainment is a reason. It's also that music has concerts and movies have theatrical releases to make money. The automotive industry has the government.  This sort of thing was implemented 10 years ago by Diablo II so that might be why I'm okay with it.   Anyways, has there been any new news on this since the OP? Crackdown 2 multiplayer seems so tacked on, this would be a weird move. "
    I watched alot of preview videos about crackdown 2 and the developers were definitely making online coop their primary focus. They made some comments to that effect. Also there are certain orbs you can only get by being online in coop mode. When playing by yourself you just pass through the orb without collecting it.
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#65  Edited By ez123
    @Supermarius: The Co-op stuff sounds awesome. I thought this was about the multiplayer like UFC and all of the EA sports games. But yeah, if they disabled co-op unless you have a code, the game is pretty much useless to me.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Axxol said:
    " So, does that mean I can't rent it? "
    They would probably do what Activision is doing and give a 7 day trial access to the online play. That way you could rent it, decide if you like the game, and then buy it new, or rent it, get your fill of the online, and you don't have to pay anything extra.
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Supermarius
    @Zidd said:
    " @TaliciaDragonsong said:

" Hai guyz we lost teh fight against piracy, lets mess up the used games sales.   

Devs and publishers see no money either way. Used games is a much easier battle to win. "
    Thats the thing though. By "winning" the used game fight they push people far deeper into piracy as their only remaining option. And they cant defeat piracy. Therefore it would be a pointless pyrrhic victory.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By zidd
    @Supermarius: I don't see how trying to get a cut of used game sales pushes people to piracy. Its a pretty big jump from buying games that are used to hacking DVD drive firmware especially since the possibility of being console banned is always right around the corner. Gamestop is probably fine with it too because they can just put the point cards next to the used games and make pretty much the same amount of money. What Microsoft is doing is no different than what EA is doing with Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age and Tiger Woods and what THQ is doing with UFC. If you bought a used copy of the game just buy a voucher to play online. Seriously this isn't as big as people are making it out to be.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#69  Edited By PureRok
    @wwfundertaker said:

" Does not bother me, i dont play online. "

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for me
    and by that time no one was left to speak up"

- Pastor Martin Niemöller

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Supermarius
    @Zidd said:
    " @Supermarius: I don't see how trying to get a cut of used game sales pushes people to piracy. Its a pretty big jump from buying games that are used to hacking DVD drive firmware especially since the possibility of being console banned is always right around the corner. Gamestop is probably fine with it too because they can just put the point cards next to the used games and make pretty much the same amount of money. What Microsoft is doing is no different than what EA is doing with Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age and Tiger Woods and what THQ is doing with UFC. If you bought a used copy of the game just buy a voucher to play online. Seriously this isn't as big as people are making it out to be. "
    Attempts to eliminate the used market are an attack on the consumer because they reduce the ways in which a person can use the object they paid money for. They subtly redefine the meaning of game ownership to really a license or a rental.  That's not cool. As consumers we should fight this reduction of the value we are purchasing. I would be okay with it if games, lets say, came out at two price points on launch day. One for a full copy with no limits on its use and one for 20 or 30 bucks less that is tied to a CD key and can only be used once. That would really undercut the used game market without reducing consumer choice or limiting the access to affordable video games.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By zidd
    @Supermarius: Steam already considers your purchases "Subscriptions". Valve will also permanently disable your account if you transfer it to another person. People who are buying used games could just wait for price drops or sales if they need that new copy. or just buy a used copy and a voucher.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#72  Edited By jakob187
    @Phished0ne said:

" @jakob187 said:

Therefore, isn't the bad guy at this point really the publishers who aren't trying to cut licensing deals for selling their products at a cheaper cost?  
    QFT.   As someone who rents games, mostly to try out their multiplayer before deciding if the game is worth buying, this practice infuriates me. "
    ???   O.O  *blink blink*  What?  Did you read what you quoted?  You are saying that the practice infuriates you...right? 

You quoted me saying that the publishers not working out licensing deals to prevent the practice of "one-time use online codes"...are the bad guys fucking us over on online capabilities. 

You QUOTED me on the fact that this practice is BULLSHIT...and then said to QFT because you think this practice is BULLSHIT? 

*slow clap* 

The world of logic seems to be strong with you.
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Supermarius
    @Zidd said:

" @Supermarius: Steam already considers your purchases "Subscriptions". Valve will also permanently disable your account if you transfer it to another person. People who are buying used games could just wait for price drops or sales if they need that new copy. or just buy a used copy and a voucher. "

But that's the thing. If publishers have their way you will lose the "wait and buy it used option". The consumer will also probably lose out on many potential sale opportunities because big box retailers would not have to deep-discount their games in order to compete with used product. Further, the price of used games helps push down the price of their new counterparts. Without used copies of a game for sale, its "new" price will stay higher longer. Why should the consumer be okay with or support a system that would have them pay more, have less choices, and have less usage rights for the products they purchase?

I mean, they have every right to try doing it because it would result in more profits, but we don't have to support it.
    Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#74  Edited By Phished0ne
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @Axxol said:
    " So, does that mean I can't rent it? "
    They would probably do what Activision is doing and give a 7 day trial access to the online play. That way you could rent it, decide if you like the game, and then buy it new, or rent it, get your fill of the online, and you don't have to pay anything extra. "

Or they will do what THQ is doing and say "fuck the people that rent games, they dont matter" 

@jakob187 said:

" @Phished0ne said:

" @jakob187 said:
     Therefore, isn't the bad guy at this point really the publishers who aren't trying to cut licensing deals for selling their products at a cheaper cost?  
    QFT.   As someone who rents games, mostly to try out their multiplayer before deciding if the game is worth buying, this practice infuriates me. "
    ???   O.O  *blink blink*  What?  Did you read what you quoted?  You are saying that the practice infuriates you...right?  You quoted me saying that the publishers not working out licensing deals to prevent the practice of "one-time use online codes"...are the bad guys fucking us over on online capabilities.  *slow clap* "
    No. I was quoting you, agreeing that pubs should be working out licensing deals. 

and saying as an addendum that the practice of one-time use codes infuriates me as someone that rents game. 
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By zidd
    @Supermarius: You are talking like the code in the box is the only way to play online. They ALWAYS sell the unlock key on marketplace so that people can buy it there if they have a used copy. Used sales aren't going away quite yet. If Microsoft is smart they will mandate that the unlock key should be available on marketplace in order to obtain certification.
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Supermarius
    @Zidd said:
    " @Supermarius: You are talking like the code in the box is the only way to play online. They ALWAYS sell the unlock key on marketplace so that people can buy it there if they have a used copy. Used sales aren't going away quite yet. If Microsoft is smart they will mandate that the unlock key should be available on marketplace in order to obtain certification. "
    Hopefully this will remain the case. A variety of game developers and publishers have made it an open secret that this is their first salvo in a fight to combat used game sales. It's small now, but the implications are huge. Their effort to curtail used games sales must fail, or alot of us will only be able to afford a significantly smaller number of games in the future. I don't want that future to come to pass. I don't want videogames to become a more expensive hobby, where i can only afford to experience a small fraction of it. I am not sure why you do want to see this happen.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#77  Edited By jakob187
    @Phished0ne: Then what the FUCK was the point of saying "QFT"?
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#78  Edited By Jimbo

HUNCH:  Crackdown 2 will flop.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By bhhawks78
    @Zidd said:
    " @Supermarius: I don't see how trying to get a cut of used game sales pushes people to piracy. Its a pretty big jump from buying games that are used to hacking DVD drive firmware especially since the possibility of being console banned is always right around the corner. Gamestop is probably fine with it too because they can just put the point cards next to the used games and make pretty much the same amount of money. What Microsoft is doing is no different than what EA is doing with Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age and Tiger Woods and what THQ is doing with UFC. If you bought a used copy of the game just buy a voucher to play online. Seriously this isn't as big as people are making it out to be. "
    If they are trying to screw me by devaluing what I PAY them for so I can't resell it as well, they clearly don't give a shit about me, so I won't give a shit about them and pay them zero.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By zidd
    @Supermarius: I buy mostly new games. The price difference on used games is insignificant to warrant the hassle of purchasing them. Especially when they are scratched to hell and/or missing instruction booklets and/or boxes.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By zidd
    @bhhawks78: Your pirated game is just as gimped as the used game with no code. Only it comes with the inevitability of being console banned from Xbox Live.
    bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By bhhawks78
    @Zidd said:
    " @Supermarius: I buy mostly new games. The price difference on used games is insignificant to warrant the hassle of purchasing them. Especially when they are scratched to hell and/or missing instruction booklets and/or boxes. "
    95%+ of used games I've ever bought/sold/seen had no issues like this, and there's nothing stopping you from checking on any of these things before handing over your money.   (unless you are using goozex or ebay but that's what feedback is for...at least on goozex).
    bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By bhhawks78
    @Zidd said:
    " @bhhawks78: Your pirated game is just as gimped as the used game with no code. Only it comes with the inevitability of being console banned from Xbox Live. "
    You mean the 2nd arcade my roomate bought off craigslist new in box for 85$?  That doesn't connect online.  (I don't have a modded 360 yet but every one of these threads brings me closer.)
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By zidd
    @bhhawks78: I've even had the person behind the counter put the wrong game in the box. (Paid $20 for a $40 game so i kept my mouth shut) and they dont put the games in the box until you have already paid.  

Xbox live is a huge benefit to owning an 360. There is no legitimate reason to have a modded 360 other than to pirate games.
    bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By bhhawks78
    @Zidd said:

" @bhhawks78: I've even had the person behind the counter put the wrong game in the box. (Paid $20 for a $40 game so i kept my mouth shut) and they dont put the games in the box until you have already paid. "

Are you too terrified of a dude making 9$ an hour to say "hey let me see the disc?" 

Not to mention the only time I've ever had a game not work (was new strangely enough) all it took was a 45 sec conversation to get a replacement.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By zidd
    @bhhawks78: I hardly buy games in a store anymore because they can be found much cheaper online.
    bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By bhhawks78
    @Zidd said:
    " @bhhawks78: I hardly buy games in a store anymore because they can be found much cheaper online. "
    So you are complaining about not seeing a disc in person even though you buy online.....*shakes head and walks away*
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By zidd
    @bhhawks78: All of this stuff happened at times when I bought used games in a store.
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Supermarius
    @Zidd said:

" @bhhawks78: I've even had the person behind the counter put the wrong game in the box. (Paid $20 for a $40 game so i kept my mouth shut) and they dont put the games in the box until you have already paid. "

You are not accurately representing the used game experience. I buy alot of used games and because used game retailers often have multiple copies of a game you can quite frequently get a case in pristine condition with a manual. As for the condition of the discs, I have yet to get even one used game in the past 2 console generations that was too scratched to play. It's just not a big problem. Its not. And pretty much every used place that isnt gamestop routinely resurfaces their used discs anyways. I don't look at the bottom of my games. They either work or they don't, regardless of the level of apparent scratchiness. Looking at them only gives you unnecessary anxiety. There are just certain things you shouldn't look at. Don't look at your own ass in a mirror, and don't look at the bottom side of a used game.

Buying used does save money. It does. Between in store coupons, web deals, and membership card thingys you can routinely save 15 to 20 dollars off the new price. Maybe that sort of savings doesn't seem like alot to you, but it is to me. Even beyond price savings though is the much greater variety of games you can get used versus new. The new sections of stores like walmart are best-buy are often just 10% new releases and 70% crap that noone wants to buy, with all the good year or two-old gems gone. The selection of used games at a gamestop, or buybacks, or Play it, trade it, etc is way, waaaay better.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By zidd
    @Supermarius: Some Gamestops are better than others. This one that I went to was a bad Gamestop. I like having discs in good condition. Some people treat their discs like crap so they end up looking like hockey pucks.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think its wrong to discourage people from buying used games. I don't think publishers get it, doing things like this doesn't make people buy new games, it just stops them from buying used games, the two are only very loosely related.

wario2295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#92  Edited By wario2295

people who talk about publishers being greedy or wanting too much money are stupid and need  to see how   Capitalism  works.

Swandre3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#93  Edited By Swandre3000

I don't wanna de-rail the debate going on right now, but just thought I would let you guys know that this rumor is just that... a rumor.
    There is, however, a code to download a helicopter for you to use as an avatar prop!

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Don't care. Not paying for live.
    godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#95  Edited By godzilla_sushi

Put it on the box! It needs to be printed on the box.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@wario2295 said:
    "people who talk about publishers being greedy or wanting too much money are stupid and need  to see how   Capitalism  works. "

Your mom showed me how capitalism worked last night.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.