Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crash Bandicoot

Franchise »

Take control of Crash, a hyperactive bandicoot with an attitude as he tries to stop the evil scientist Dr. Neo Cortex from world domination. The popularity of the series led to Crash being the unofficial PlayStation mascot and selling 40 million copies with over 14 games released.

Would you want the Crash Bandicoot Brand to make a comeback?

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Edited By MocBucket62

Poll Would you want the Crash Bandicoot Brand to make a comeback? (187 votes)

Yes. A new game or a collection of the PS1 games will do. 37%
    Yes if Crash is gonna be a Skylander. 3%
    Yes if Crash is only coming back as Pizza Hut's Unofficial Mascot. 9%
    No. 43%
    Show the results 8%

So not sure if anyone has caught the rumors spinning around that believe or not, Crash could be making a comeback. And all of rumors sound likely that Crash could return to the First Party Publisher that made him arguably THE mascot of the PS1, Sony. First there was the PSX tease where Shawn Layden was wearing a Crash Bandicoot t-shirt on stage. This got him a big pop from the crowd, but no actual news of Crash Bandicoot was revealed. While Sony burned many Crash fans, it wasn't the first time they teased fans of their PS1 era IP's at major events (Look back to their Vib-RIbbon teases from E3 2014). Then the Sony Middle East twitter account posted a picture that was a poster of Crash's design from Crash of the Titans, which in reality was a fake fan made image the account decided to post.

No Caption Provided

Then after that, a NECA Toys Executive made a quote stating that Sony had plans to revive the Crash bandicoot brand. The Executive was referencing a series of toys they were doing for Sony IP's and then made this statement:

Looking at some of their other titles, I see they're bringing back Crash Bandicoot, which is really cool.

Many fans were speculating if the Crash Bandicoot IP was indeed making a return, but a representative of NECA Toys cleared the misunderstanding saying that they weren't making Crash toys and that the Executive saw the same fake image above and said if Crash was coming back, they'd love to make toys for the brand.

My question is, do you want Crash to make a resurgence in gaming? I'm thinking if Sony was anything remotely planned for the IP this year, I'd think they would announce a HD collection of the original Crash PS1 trilogy to come out on the PS4 at E3 to celebrate Crash's 20th anniversary (maybe throw Crash Team Racing in the collection too). That would probably make the most sense to pay homage to an IP that was crucial to the PS1's success without announcing an entirely new game. Otherwise, this is still Activision's IP and they've continued to put Crash in their basement for some time now. Who knows?

• 
    BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Lets see what they got! What's Mark Cerny doing? Nothing? Great! Put him on it he help start this gangster shit anyway!

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By xanadu

I never had a nintendo or sega console as a kid and the Ps1 was the first console my parents bought me. And one of the first two games I got was Crash 2 and I loved playing those games. Crash 1 was more of a tech demo then a polished game, 2 refined it and made big improvements, Crash 3 was an amazing game I can still go back to play today and is easily Ps1s best platformer. And we all know CTR is the superior cart racer...That said, I'd love to see what a 2016 first party crash would be like but I doubt it will grab hold of me like the original games.

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Crash 2 and to a less extent 3 are major PS1 games for me, and seeing the original trilogy get a remaster treatment would be cool.

When it comes to a new game, I think I definitely could be interested. Would depend on who's doing it and what it looks like, I guess! I was the perfect age for the 3D platforming deluge Crash was a part of, so I always have some hope for a new one. Fingers crossed.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Sure. I never had any interest in Crash Bandicoot, but sure.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Crash 2 and 3 are still fantastic games and Crash Team Racing is still a great Kart Racer. Buuuuut... I'm honestly not sure what a modern Crash game would be like. Most of the post-PS1 Crash games aren't talked about for a reason.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't want them to make a 3D platformer or try to reinvent the early games. Just give me a remaster of 1-3 with multiplayer ghosts and leaderboards.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have fond memories of the first couple of games but I do wonder if they would hold up even given the HD treatment. I have no idea what a new Crash game looks like in this decade.

@belowstupid said:

What's Mark Cerny doing?

Knack 2?

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

a modern game like Twinsanity would be rad

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Nah. Crash was a fun series, but I realized when I played the most recent Sly Cooper that I've fallen off those type of games. If they really revamped it I might be interested, but that's pushing it.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

a modern game like Twinsanity would be rad

Twinsanity was fun but I want a linear-ass Crash game.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#11 FinalDasa  Moderator

I don't know how you modernize Crash in a meaningful way. Perhaps a HD remake to bank on nostalgia before everyone realizes those games were endless runners with puzzles mixed in.

I wouldn't mind a new take on the old formula, maybe someone can really do it right, but I'm going to stay cautious about a new title.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

As someone who never played the crash games when they came out but played them for the first time recently I don't think anything about those games besides the mascot would be able to appeal to modern audiences.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

i'm indifferent

I wouldn't begrudge a Crash comeback, but I can't say it's anywhere near my top 25 franchises I'd like to see revive.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a Crash game but in the style of the first jak and daxter

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I never cared for the character.

VideoGameMobes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By VideoGameMobes

I'd quite like new Crash Bandicoot, and here's me listing what I found great in the PS1 Trilogy of games.

• 2D precise platforming in a 3D polygonal world.
    • A manageable amount of item collection.
    • Actual hidden secrets, that felt forth-wall breaking and ominous.
    • Roster of cartoony fun characters, some bad, some neat, some (honestly) iconic.
    • Good amount of recognizable theme / level music, with good PS1 Midi instrumenting.
    • Some amount of self-serious story telling in a children's game. (This only applies to Crash Bandicoot 2 :P)
    • Well-realized style graphically, even though (but maybe because) these games were part of the early 3D graphics phase.
    • Some light slapstick humor that wasn't overly overbearing.
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I don't know how you modernize Crash in a meaningful way. Perhaps a HD remake to bank on nostalgia before everyone realizes those games were endless runners with puzzles mixed in.

Luckily, these games have levels and you can stop so the game will be just fine! Oh fuck, a boulder is rolling towards Crash and you can't stop running for nothin'. A minute later, it ended so all's well again.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By csl316

Yes, Crash 2 is one of the best platformers ever made. Played it again last year, still amazing. It needs to be Crash 2-2, however, before 3 added all this extra bullshit instead of just designing kick ass levels.

Or hell, I'd be content with a proper CTR 2.

@finaldasa said:

I wouldn't mind a new take on the old formula, maybe someone can really do it right, but I'm going to stay cautious about a new title.

I honestly have no idea where you get an endless runner. It's a platformer, with the occasional polar bear or boulder level in for variety. And even those levels had secrets to find.

Mario Maker got this site's game of the year, so platformers do still have a place if the core gameplay is sound. The PS1 games still feel fantastic, and with a talented crew of designers they can make a damn fine Crash game in the modern age. And I can tell you it's not purely nostalgia talking because I've played some horrid 3D platformers, with some of the more popular ones not even being fun to play.

What makes Crash stand out is the tight controls and the focus, think Super Mario 3D Land vs. Mario 64. The design of those old games allowed for minimal filler, while some of the crappier 3D platformers people remember tried to copy Mario 64 in a subpar way. I mean building a big level and having boring crap to do. Crash didn't try to topple Mario, it went its own way and still has a unique feel that hasn't really been recreated since. @benlaserlove gets it.

And the music was legitimately damn fine. Hey, Sony marketing people skimming message boards! Bring back Josh Mancell, for the love of God!

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By DarthOrange

@csl316 said:

Yes, Crash 2 is one of the best platformers ever made. Played it again last year, still amazing. It needs to be Crash 2-2, however, before 3 added all this extra bullshit instead of just designing kick ass levels.

Or hell, I'd be content with a proper CTR 2.

This is crazy talk. Warped is absolutely the best game of the trilogy. What extra bullshit are you talking about?

CTR is also already the perfect kart racer. That one could literally simply get an HD Remake with nothing but the visuals updated and it would be the best kart racer of this gen. To this day no-one has done a campaign like that in a kart racer (at least not that I know of). The gameplay, maps, shortcuts, and items were all perfection.

Anyway, I honestly don't care enough to see the franchise come back. A port to new consoles in widescreen might be nice but other than that I have no interest in seeing a new game in the series. Just make something new. Those old games still play fine today.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By csl316

@darthorange: You're probably right about CTR just needing an HD remake, but if it wants to unsteat Sonic Racing Transformed they might need to do some work.

But I dunno, Warped had that jet ski and airplane stuff, and going back to it now kind of sucks. If they can tighten up those parts to be as good as the platforming in Warped (which is spectacular), then you're onto something.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Someone with brains here. Crash was a perfectly fine game at the time, but I don't think it's anything I would even remotely want now. They would have to completely reinvent what a Crash game is.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 69

I would only want it if there was some updating of the gameplay. I LOVED the original games when they first came out, but they are pretty hard to get back in to now days. I have actually been playing them again recently and the first game is by far the hardest to get through.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be ok with just about any colorful 3D platformer now (except Knack), be it Crash or not. Hopefully Yooka-Layle is a successs and manages to attract some other developers.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Endless runner?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Sure. 2 & 3 are still fantastic and I still like idea behind Crash as a character, being this mildly psychotic marsupial who enjoys mischievously assaulting boars and polar bears into letting him ride them.

I'd much rather see a new Crash game than, say, a new Jak & Daxter anywhoo.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27 MattyFTM  Moderator

There are a lot of signs that point to something happening, but I'm still not convinced that the business side of things work out.

Activision own the Crash IP and it isn't worth their while selling the IP unless it is for a very big sum. Even if they have no plans for the franchise currently, unless they're going to get a multimillion dollar figure for it, it makes sense to hold onto it in case they want to do something with it down the line. Selling it for a smaller figure is small change to a company that size and not worth it. Holding onto the franchise for it's potential down the line is worth more to them.

And Sony paying that kind of money for the Crash franchise doesn't make business sense either. It's a waning genre and a new crash game isn't guaranteed to sell incredibly well. I'm sure it'll do OK based on nostalgia, but if they're paying a small fortune for the IP, they need it to be a massive blockbuster.

Perhaps a licensing deal would be more likely. But at that point Sony would be reducing their profit margins from this thing. It would probably make more sense to do a spiritual successor or a sequel to a franchise they actually own (e.g. Jak) than to make a Crash sequel where they have to share profits with Activision.

I'd also be cautious about a new Crash game, because it's a really tricky balancing act between keeping what made those games special, whilst modernising them and bringing in a new audience. It would be far too easy to alienate the old fans by changing too much, or not changing enough and it would seem like a relic from the past.

I'd love a new, good Crash Bandicoot game, but there is a lot of stuff in the way of that happening.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattyftm said:

I'd love a new, good Crash Bandicoot game, but there is a lot of stuff in the way of that happening.

This.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#29 riostarwind  Moderator

Hm HD remasters of the Crash games on PS1 seem like they would take a lot more work to make them presentable compared to the PS2 remasters we've gotten so far. Not sure if anyone is willing to do that. If he really comes back it'll most likely be in Skylanders. I skipped over Crash entirely when growing up so I don't have much of a reason to see him get a resurgence.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crash Bandicoot is the Yoshi of Sony.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

HD Collection of 1-3 up on PSN for $20-$30 is all that can be asked for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A platformer? In 2016? lol, you must be joking. Everyone knows no one likes platformers anymore. I'll have you know I play only the finest open world multiplayer loot shooters. Maybe if Crash came back as a MOBA or something I would consider it, but a platformer? I mean come on it's 2016 already!

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure. Seems strange to include the new game and collection as a single option.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
    thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I would be completely indifferent to Crash coming back. I never got into the games on the PS1 and have zero nostalgia for the character. I guess I would be happy for the fans to get something they want?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Not really, not anymore than Super Mario 3D Land was. I kinda viewed 3D Land as a sort of unintentional successor to the Crash games because both series took traditional 2D platformer level structures and applied them to a 3D game.

Yes, I would love to see a new, well-made Crash game, of the same quality that Crash 2 and 3 had. I understand that in today's gaming market, that kind of game doesn't really sell all that well, but those games hold up. There aren't really many "old game quirks" that you have to get used to or overcome to enjoy those two games. They still run very well, they still control very well, and they still look better than pretty much any other 3D PS1 game. The first one isn't so hot, but 2 and 3 are mostly pretty great. I think you could come out with a new Crash game with the same kind of structure and it could be well-liked.

Commercially, though, I don't know if it would do particularly well. It's already been stated several times in this thread, so I won't go into it too much, but I don't think we'll see a new Crash game because pretty much everyone who could make it happen sees more potential in other projects.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I remember being the most hype for Crash on the PS2. And then made a song about the loading times because they were abysmally long and made me never look back at Crash.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Hard to come up with an idea how Crash could be relevant in modern days. While i like the characters, what could Crash bring to us that games like Yooka Laylee and Ratchet and Clank don't already do?

Is platforming towards / away from the screen something that is still fun or have we decided that that kind of platforming doesn't stand the test of time?

As a lover of Sonic & All - Stars transformed, it would be cool for Crash to offer an alternative to Mario Kart.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want more good 3D platformers, and I don't really care which characters are in them.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could totally get behind the release of a great Crash game. As long as he has no tattoos. Crash in a Jak & Daxter style/quality game would be awesome. But I'd even be happy to see a Crash game with traditional Crash levels.

Looking forward to a Polygon story about the offensiveness of Aku Aku.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NeoCalypso

100% meh, people like to act like Crash has been gone since the PSX days but in reality they kept making those games(hell they've made five Crash kart racing games so far) all the way through up to the 360. They were just mediocre so no one really gave a shit. I don't see what would be any different these days.

If they could somehow make a great Crash game then cool, I'd be all for that. I just don't see it happening.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I'm just gonna float this idea.

What if Crash...had a gun?

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beforet said:

So I'm just gonna float this idea.

What if Crash...had a gun?

Old news.

No Caption Provided
    MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

Yes, and I know that's just nostalgia talking, but yes. Give me some Crash Bandicoot and a new Crash Team Racing and I'm set.

I'll take some more Hog Wild for that matter too...

Loading Video...

Richasliodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They will have to really make something different with it, like an open world

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.