Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Cyberpunk 2077

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Dec 10, 2020

An open-world action role-playing game by CD Projekt RED based on the pen and paper RPG Cyberpunk 2020.

Will you buy Cyberpunk now that you've seen the reviews?

• 184 results
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

Poll Will you buy Cyberpunk now that you've seen the reviews? (915 votes)

Yes, as soon as possible. 30%
    After reading the reviews I'm now more interested than before. 5%
    I was interested but now I'm not so sure... 7%
    I have no interest or intention to buy this videogame. 11%
    I'm still waiting to see review footage before I make up my mind. 4%
    Maybe at a later date once they've patched it or it goes on sale. 43%

Here's the review roundup thread, for those who haven't been keeping an eye on how the game has been tracking.

The short version: it's a fun game which is reviewing well, though it's undermined by noticeable technical issues.

I think it's an interesting question to pose because I know that tolerance for performance and "open world jank" varies greatly from person to person. I've never been able to click with Bethesda games for that reason, so the stories I'm hearing about the jank in Cyberpunk are pretty worrying to me personally, but I know a lot of people are happy to put up with those issues.

• 
    FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#1 FinalDasa  Moderator

So much around this game leaves a bad taste in my mouth. From the poor representation of trans people, to the last minute release, to the last minute press copies, to the jank, to the over-promising marketing that has turned fans into legions of online assholes the moment someone gives the gave a good score of 7/10.

Overall this just seems like an okay game that way too many people invested themselves in before launch and any chance I'd give this game a second look is just tossed away thanks to overly aggressive metacritic hawks.

Oh and there's the months of crunch the developers had to endure.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Which option is for people who pre-ordered?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Already bought it for pre-load. I was already pretty sure it was gonna be a GTA-like game that was most likely gonna end up disappointing compared to the hype, but it's far from the first game I've bought and will play just because I feel like I need to see it for myself. I've played plenty of "B-tier" games that I ended up thoroughly enjoying, and there's no other way to really know other than playing it myself.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#4 sweep  Moderator

@dgtlty: A preorder is just financially registering interest in a product, it's not a binding legal agreement. Assuming people haven't cancelled their preorders, then "Yes, as soon as possible" works just as well as for anyone who is going out to buy the game on release day or as soon as they're able to do so.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mellotronrules

i'll have to consume some more coverage before i get a solid impression and form an intention to purchase. but honestly the snarky attitude and 'open-world-ness' of it are kinda turning me off it. i like cyberpunk stuff- i recently enjoyed Deus Ex: Mankind Divided despite its gameplay, narrative and conceptual flaws. but i think that's likely as it's more noir and self-serious- i'm kinda done with juvenile irreverence in the context of social commentary (or lack thereof).

as a fan of the medium, i kinda want to see what this game is all about. but i have a feeling it really won't be my cup of tea.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MezZa

I was interested in buying it soon after release but now I think I'll wait for later patches, dlc content, and maybe a sale. I see no real benefit to playing it right now. A deus ex/gta/skyrim styled game littered with glitches doesn't sound like a great time to me to be honest. There's enough other skyrim-styled games out there that I can get that rpg fix from more polished and complete games. I suspect this game will be better experienced for the first time later next year.

Plus, I've had a low tolerance lately for some of the things Jeff and Jeff were describing. I'll want to see it for myself to see how obnoxious it is, but it almost sounds like the game leans into the edgy mature content for no real benefit. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at them describing dildos stuck to the walls for no reason among other things. If it feels like I'm playing a teens vision of a cool and funny dark future then I'm out.

Definitely looking forward to the quick look. I want to see the guys give a tour of the game and gameplay since it sounds like a lot of reviews are being limited to showing footage provided by CDPR going by some buzz I've heard.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I loved Cyberpunk 2020 as a kid so I want to play the Cyberpunk universe game in 2020. Jank and edgelord stuff don't really bother me. I'm absolutely sure this game will be better later on, but I want to avoid spoilers and just see it for myself and it seems like a game that probably stands up well to being replayed anyway.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the game to some extent even in kind of janky shape.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean I was always going to play this, reviews would have no bearing on it whatsoever. Reviews are valuable for some games and for others I have to see for myself.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

To echo what I said in the review megathread, I had been intending to get it already, but increasingly out of sheer "I gotta be in this zeitgeist, I guess" resignation as the hype kept unsustainably ballooning. But, in polar opposite to @sweep, hearing that it's a lot more of a Bethesda-style RPG than I had initially thought--including Skyrim-style leveling, physics nonsense, and, yes, copious amounts of jank--has me much more interested than before. That's a very particular itch I haven't had properly scratched in a good long while, however valiantly The Outer Worlds tried, and I'm pretty excited to see what Cyberpunk's got to offer in that space. Got it preloading right now.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By NeverGameOver

The reviews are overwhelming positive and make it sound like a legitimate GOTY so yes of course I will play it at launch. It has a friggen 91 on metacritic and that’s before the day 1 patch.

I will say that the reviews have definitely convinced me to go with the PC version over the console ones though. I was already leaning that way but the fact that cdpr hasn’t given anyone a copy of the console version is a bit alarming.

MrBGone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe later if the ps5 version looks good but there are so many games to play. From the first reveal with that big boobed lady it has felt a bit off and tone deaf really. As a neon junkie who also loves to go to industrial zones around Tokyo the setting should be my kind of thing but outside of the buildings and lights it doesn't really look like a game for me.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ToughShed

Already bought it. Honestly amused right now that people thought this game wouldn't have any bugs or issues given the scale of this game, development history, and developer.

If you know the developers history, you know they have the best track record in the business of refining post release games right now (non Kickstarter projects and the like we're talking here, just honest releases). Witcher 1 and 2 were massively improved over time especially.

Also, Witcher 3 was the first CD Projeckt game to get really wide praise. Even now most widely will say Witcher 2 isn't a good game (especially after 3 came along) or never gets any praise or mention when to me its just slightly behind Witcher 3 and one of the very best RPGs ever made.

So frankly I don't care much about the wide opinion on hardcore RPGs, especially from mainstream critics who usually don't' like them.

nedshead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m going to play on launch but am very worried about the state of the consoles releases considering the press hast even seen those versions it strikes me as worrisome and a little shady that CD didn’t give them out. With the amount of bugs being reported on the PC version I can’t imagine the console version won’t be a complete dumpster fire. Also how about we don’t crunch any more? It’s a terrible practice that doesn’t work and should be outlawed.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/12/07/cyberpunk-2077-epileptic-psa

Reviews aside do please consider this first. This is a rough one.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

User Lists: 24

#18  Edited By infantpipoc

Made the mistake of preordering it along with DOOM Eternal on Steam in June, 2019...

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

After skim reading the PC Gamer review to know about the performance, and knowing that I can get the amount of frames that I want at the resolution and settings that I want, I fuckin' pre'd so hard, dude. ...to completion.

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm waiting but that has nothing to do with the reviews.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Have it pre-ordered so yeah.

Most of the negative points I've seen mentioned don't really matter to me so I'm sure I'll enjoy it at least.

The technical issues are worrying but hopefully the 40+gb day 1 patch will make it a more stable experience.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its from the team that made Witcher 3 so of course I'll play ìt. Although when its like 15 quid or so, very rarely do i pay full price

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its from the team that made Witcher 3 so I know the controls are gonna be functional at best. Not interested.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll get it when its done. It'll end up fantastic in the end.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

The reviews make it sound like the game I was expecting. Some cool atmosphere, characters, short stories and ideas taking place in a pretty traditional open world surrounded by a lot of jank. It's not my most anticipated game for this year, but I'll happily play it on release day.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Yeah sure. I love sci-fi stuff and cyberpunk especially for it's cool vibes. Whether I get it after release or wait a bit remains to be seen - I still want to see some raw footage of people just playing it - but I was always going to buy it. After reading some threads about this game and CDPR around the web for a while now like on Resetera for example I think the people who were never going to get it had made up their minds a long time ago. That is to say, there plenty of red flags for people who take umbrage with certain things that you didn't really need reviews to confirm that all that stuff is in fact in there, but the bugs and jank definitely don't help.

pnpkp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The interminable line of PR boondoggles successfully convinced me to absolutely not want to. Quite a feat of social engineering when I like all of the Witcher games and all my money falls out when I see anything resembling an immersive sim.

But even the more negative reviews noting it's not devoid of the heart that made The Witchers be The Witchers have pulled me back to somewhere around "Probably somewhere down the line once they've given it their patented Enhanced GOTY Edition Director's Cut treatment."

@efesell said:

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/12/07/cyberpunk-2077-epileptic-psa

Reviews aside do please consider this first. This is a rough one.

That braindance situation just sounds bizarre. That has to be pretty much an actual worst case scenario for this stuff. Someone, somehow, ended up trying to go beyond Porygon? And it made it through to release on the consoles?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pre-ordered. I always wanted to play it and the one thing that reviews would have dissuaded me otherwise is if it was a broken unplayable mess which despite all the bug talk doesn’t seem to be the case.

Demonsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By Demonsoul

I immediately purchased it as soon as I saw that Kalle Plague at Game Spot gave it a 7/10. Her viewpoint on games is usually the opposite of my own. Plus I never get offended by video games and she seems to be very sensitive and gets offended, which seems strange to me. I have yet to be offended by a video game, movie, or any other type of entertainment *knock on wood*.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reviews and consensus so far are exactly what I was expecting.

Open-world RPG's have so many moving parts nowadays a certain amount of jank is to be expected unless the scope of the game is severely limited, like The Outer Worlds which was pretty disappointing.

If anything my anticipation has increased. Cyberpunk is basically a giant immersive-sim which tend to be pretty poor action games, Cyberpunk sounds like it plays well enough as a shooter is should open the game up for a lot more people, and be a fun option in game in a way Deus Ex never was.

plan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I immediately purchased it as soon as I saw that Kalle Plague at Game Spot gave it a 7/10. Her viewpoint on games is usually the opposite of my own. Plus I never get offended by video games and she seems to be very sensitive and gets offended, which seems strange to me. I have yet to be offended by a video game, movie, or any other type of entertainment *knock on wood*.

The toughest Gamer has logged on how much he loves to buy buggy messes and ”accidently” misspell people’s last names.

Demonsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@plan6: Not all glitches/bugs are bad. For example, I'm still on Skyrim patch 1.2 because I enjoy the backwards flying dragons and I'll be damned if Bethesda is going to take this experience away from me. Video games are about having fun.........and I have lots of fun in a game world full of glitches. Assassin's Creed Unity gave me some of the funniest moments I have ever experienced in a video game ever due to the epic looking glitches/bugs.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Definitely will get it, but not for another 5 months or so. Two reasons: one is that my 5800x and 3080 aren't gonna get to me for god knows how long. The second reason has already been stated: this game is barely finished and needs a lot of bug fixes and performance patches.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@plan6: Also the people who say "I never get offended by anything in video games" are also the people who write petitions and threaten boycotts whenever a game is released and a female character has a slightly less revealing outfit than she did in pre-release publicity materials, or if the puddles aren't up to their graphical standards. They are the thinnest skinned of all gamers, they just get triggered by different stuff than the people they rant against.

Enjay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa: yeah that sums it up for me. I dont mind some jank, but game breaking stuff is really hard for me to overlook.

The representation of trans people and bad working conditions for the devs really concern me.

Zuljin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm good - will wait for the PS5 version as that should give them enough time to sort out some of the initial bullshit. Who knows if I'm still into it at that point.

I'm busy playing PS4 games I missed, turns out God of War is a pretty good game (especially with the PS5 enhancements)!

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rizla: Same here. Turns out one of the best features of the ps5 so far is having an excuse to go back and play hits I've missed. They definitely perform better than they would have in my original launch ps4.

tp0p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff says it's a mix of gta, fallout and deus ex. I'm in.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if I was really interested (which has diminished in the last couple months), I currently don't have a computer good enough to run it decently. So, I am going to wait for a heavily discounted sale on GoG or Steam (knowing CDProjekt, those will come), and would play it sooner if they released a demo.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By apewins

I wasn't going to play it at launch anyway, too much going on right now. But I am still excited about the game and the reviews haven't disaffected me in any way. Given CDPR's track record, I am certain that the bugs will be fixed and the game will receive a lot of post-launch support (hopefully of the free variety). Probably an early 2021 game for me, would likely go well with a new graphics card.

zinkn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

9 and 10s all over the place. Of course!

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eventually maybe?

I dunno. I've been excited about this game since the announcement (and learned that Archive is a band I like in small doses). I really liked all three Witchers (and hear the gwent isometric RPG was fine?)

Did a replay of The Witcher 3 a few weeks/months back (time has no meaning) because I kind of knew that was my last chance as I would never replay that for... a lot of reasons after CP came out. And that game went a long way toward making my mostly cis ass be warily pessimistic on how the trans stuff would be handled. Yeah, there is some shit and the elf tailor was clearly played for laughs. But depending on dialogue you also get a pretty decent response that highlights Geralt and Dandelion kind of just viewed him as "a dude who is in to stuff we aren't". Which reminded me of The Witcher 2 (and even to some degree 1) where it is clear there were some shitheads on the team but there were also people who clearly felt those guys were shitheads.

More or less came to a head last week when I cancelled my amazon pre-order though. Did a deep dive of some of the more anti-trans marketing stuff and that combined with people clearly not being able to tell if the bathroom cam fuckface being in the game was a joke or not really soured me. Not going to pretend that it isn't at least partially motivated by this not being PS5 friendly until probably late '21 and me not having a new GPU until probably at least April. But it was just kind of a culmination of "don't buy this yet"

And the J&J Jacking yesterday kind of validated this. Sounds like CDPR regressed and are even more childish than Sex Cards in TW1 and this is closer to a Knock Knock Keanu than a Johnny Mnemonic Keanu.

So we'll see. Give it a few weeks for hype to cool down and the longer form articles on transphobia to come out. See if CDPR even acknowledge it (ha, they won't). Wait a few months for the patches to make the game playable. And make a decision then.

But this is rapidly starting to feel like another Kingdom Come for me. On paper it is very much a game for me (janky combat, star wars kid dancing, incredibly systems heavy, and high budget eurojank spirit) spoiled by toxic assholes.

ZiegfredZSM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still got money on it being delayed again

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I had been toying with the idea of picking it up and making it my December game so that I'd be up to speed on it by the time GOTY rolled around but a lot of what I've seen from the reviews has likely made me go back to my previous stance of probably waiting a few months to a year before buying it.

At least I don't have to pick between this and FFXIV patch 5.4 now.

anywhereilay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the most shocking thing is 'this is another video game'. Not some generational masterpiece that redefines what we expect from games. And that would be fine, if the marketing and hype didn't tell us otherwise.

I began to lose interest when those xbox gameplay videos came out, with a Keanu paralysed from the nose up giving serious Oblivion vibes. And the gameplay just looked a little flat.

I will play it, and I will probably enjoy it or, failing that, Fuck Off I guess...

EDGY

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.