Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 01, 2015

A remastered release of Dark Souls II, featuring a graphical upgrade, increased online player limit, remixed locations for items and enemies, and includes all of the previously released DLC.

will you be playing this and bloodborne?

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Poll will you be playing this and bloodborne? (127 votes)

yes 61%
    no (just bloodborne) 33%
    no (neither) 6%

Curious to see how much of the Souls playerbase will be getting this considering how big Bloodborne is now. Thoughts?

• 
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

no mechs no sale.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Where is the "maybe?" option? I really, really enjoyed my time with Dark Souls 2, and I never did any of the DLC, but I'm still going back and forth over if I want to pick this up or not.

Reading people saying it's a bit different from the get go seems nice, as I wouldn't be rushing through it again, but I'm still undecided. Without spoilers can anyone say if the DLC is pretty good? That Dark Souls 1 DLC was amazing, and if the stuff in DS2 is just kinda like that, in terms of new areas, bosses, and all around neat stuff added to the game, I'd probably be interested in picking this up.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yes. 15 hours into DS2 on PS3, I stopped. I moved, the system was boxed up for a month, I lost the addiction.

Bloodborne's super good! I just finished, and now I'll pick up Scholar during a drought on sale. The DLC alone is a good deal, with a steady frame rate and a superior controller (really, it's tough to go back to the Dual Shock 3). It's a good game made better, and it was my first Souls experience so my PS3 character has a weird build. I want to replay it, and the complete package seems worth getting.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@takayamasama: The DLC is the best stuff in the game. But there's one issue with them that I can't say without spoiling the new content in Scholar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam: The best eh? Alright I'll probably pick this up then. Gotta go with a no shield build of some sort though, see how Bloodborne skills translate back, if they do.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like if I were to buy SotFS I would never again be able to complain about on disc DLC or purposely held back content. The PC DX11 thing is so disgusting I don't see myself buying it even though I would've like to have it on my PS4. I'll vote with my wallet and won't buy anything related to DS2 but will fully support Bloodborne.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Seikenfreak

Probably? Not same time as Bloodborne though. I play these games to usually just one completion and maybe dabble a little bit in NG+ to see just how hard it is but then I'm bored. I'm almost done with Bloodborne I think.. I'm up to the end of the main story stuff and I've completed all the side areas. But I've spent the past week slowly chipping away at the Chalice dungeons as I hear there is an important boss at the end of the main set of Chalices.. Chali? Chalye? Chy? etc In the middle of farming the ritual items for the last chalice. Once I finish with that and complete the story, I'm probably done. Only reason I might continue is I think I'm surprisingly close to a platinum on it? Which I never do. Eh.

So I figure I'll probably pick up the the new DS2, mostly just because it's on PS4. Be nice to see the new visuals (the PS4 one has the DX11 update right?). I might play it a bit and see how weird it feels compared to Bloodborne. Or I'll just start it up and be like meh, I'm burnt out on Souls style gameplay for awhile. Usually until the next one comes along in a couple years.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Think I'm going to be done with Bloodborne pretty soon. I have another playthrough to go through before I can platinum it, and I don't know if I'm going to do that right away or come back to it later. It just doesn't have the staying power of a Souls game.

SuperBReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I might pick it up eventually on sale. Can you transfer character save files from PS3>PS4?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'll buy it when it's on sale, don't have faith that the online will work.

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SirFork

Yes, i've finished up bloodborne and don't feel a huge desire to go back to it.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah cause I'm a dang dummy. I love Bloodborne. I do! I just wish it was a little more accommodating to other styles of play. Now I know that you can spec to different weapons and dabble in arcane and whatnot, but I dunno. It felt like all the previous games were a little better about letting you do "you."

That being said, I am also in the camp of loving DS2 almost as much as the first one. Combined with the fact that I will buy any game these people throw at us and you have a recipe for a double dose of Souls. Plus I only finished one of the DLC parts so that's my other excuse.

Windir2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hell yes, but I'll be playing Dark Souls II after I'm done with Bloodborne. Playing two souls games concurrently is too much for me.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Where is the option where I am playing DSII but not Bloodborne? :C

Can E3 come faster and give me incentive to get a PS4 plz.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By gaminghooligan

So I didn't plan on going back, but the DLC seems pretty awesome and it seems like it REALLY fills in gaps in the lore/story of the game (I watched some of Vaatividya's lore vids which have spoilers). That being said I'm going to wait for it to drop in price since I still have it on the 360. I feel like I won't be able to move on from Bloodborne until I've found all the gear and read all the descriptions.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

There needs to be a Dark Souls II only option. That said I'll definitely get both - but DSII SotFS will have to wait for now. But I haven't played the DLC and I would like to get back to it at some point, going with the new version seems like a decent way to go about that.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Id like to play DS2 again, but I got so burnt out on it that I couldnt even finish the DLC. So I dont expect that doing a full new run, plus all the DLC is going to happen. As it is Im having trouble doing a NG+ on Bloodborne to get items, and bosses I missed the first go.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You left off the "only" ds2 option. I am almost done with bloodborne and doubt I will ever pick it up again once I finish it. I just bought SOTFS and will be playing that until witcher 3 at least.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@junkboy0: i think you meant to use something like "unfortunate" in place of "so disgusting". This isn't a war atrocity or something.

Yeah they should have had it there to begin with and you could mod it in, but i don't have any of the dlc and don't want to deal with another mod so i said fuck it and got it anyway. Now to see if i can get any farther in it than my original playthrough...

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yes, but probably not at the same time. I don't have two PS4's.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@junkboy0: Just curious what is disgusting about specifically the DX11 version? Is it how the PC player base is split?

If I had a PS4, I'd be playing Bloodborne now and I'd wait on SotFS. But I grabbed the PC version since I missed the DLC and I'm loving it again.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My copy is waiting for me when I get home. I just finished my NG+ run of Bloodborne last night so I'm definitely looking to take a break from Yharnam for awhile. Might as well see what they did to DS2; from what I remember the combat was super smooth with one or two niggling issues.

The one thing I'm really concerned about is whether or not they fixed the hit boxes for this version. A lot of them were just egregious. After playing Bloodborne with how amazing those hit boxes are, that's probably the biggest hurdle for me in adapting to Dark Souls 2 again.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Where's the "I'll play Scholar of the First Sin" option?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: That is implied, since this is the forum for the scholar of the first sin version.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@sterling said:

@believer258: That is implied, since this is the forum for the scholar of the first sin version.

No, I mean, I plan on playing Scholar of the First Sin. The first option says both, the second means just Bloodborne, and the third means neither. I don't have a PS4 and one game isn't going to convince me to buy one.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already have been playing both of them. Did Europe get Scholar of the first Sin early or something? I've already mentioned in another thread, but I think the game is well worth the time of anyone who either didn't play the dlc or didn't play the PC version. If you already had the PC version of Dark Souls 2, then the changes might not justify a whole new purchase.

Faythdream10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Faythdream10

Yeah, I finished Bloodborne and bought the DS2 PC upgrade option since I never bought any of the DLC. I'll probably vacillate between that and NG+, unless BB develops are really thriving PVP community.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sterling
    j0lter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By j0lter

I'm not paying for a game I already I own. I'll grab it when it's $5 on a steam sale. Maybe.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to finish Bloodborne first, but this is on my radar.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

shit sorry guys, i forgot to add a "just sotfs" option. i can't edit the poll though. :/

in any case, seems like a lot of you guys are picking this up. cool to see!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

according to steam charts, sotfs has double the playerbase of vanilla ds2

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam@nickhead

But it did disgust me that they choose to release something with an entire api and set of settings stripped out because they more than likely couldn't finish it and then choose to release it later as paid content while also fracturing the community in a real dumb way. Much like with Watchdogs we know the original content exists because it was in game running on a PC and they had no reason other than greed to strip it out.

Release the game at launch in dx9 then rerelease dx11 afterwards and charge a premium for something most PC devs call a patch.

I like the increase in player count and think the content is pretty damn good but I think this is worst case scenario going on here on how they handled things. Should've delayed the game or released the DX11 patch for free nothing else would've been fair to the player base. I have no faith they can make a great Souls port to the PC as this is till 0/2.

OnionKnight14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If someone handed me a PS4 then I would probably immediately start playing Bloodborne. Otherwise, it's PC releases for me only

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#37  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I'll pick the hidden "only DS2" option, considering Bloodbourne isn't out on PS3 nor PC, and I have no intent of getting a PS4 at this point.

I bought the original DS2 PC release, but not the DLC, and the upgrade fee for Scholar of the First Sin is exactly the same as buying the season pass for the original version.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ezekiel

No and no. I don't want a PS4 and the changes in the DX11 version don't look significant enough. I'd be more interested if it were a paid upgrade instead of a new game, since I don't want to redo my characters, achievements and logged hours.

SomeguyJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am playing both at the same time. SotFS has changed just enough with new item locations and enemy distro that it has completely refreshed the experience. I've already put in more than 20 hours so for 20bucks it was worth it. I'm loving the extra player base and dropping a sign and running through an area to the boss with 4 dudes is pretty great albeit a bit easy.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm weak, just bought Dark Souls II...

But I already beat Bloodborne, i'm about halfway through my 2nd playthrough

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Not right now, but I'll definitely be picking this up at some point. I've been on such a Soulsian binge lately. I went through Dark Souls, most of Demon's Souls, Lords of the Fallen, and Bloodborne within a couple months. That said, Souls games are exhausting, and a dumb ARPG romp through Borderlands and Diablo 3 sounds like the perfect palette cleanser before revisiting Dark Souls 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.